ADVERTISEMENT

A New Low In Play Calling Futility - TE Wildcat?

Sorry son I don't give a shit about that series. Just shows how dumb the coaching is, and how dumb you are actually

Dumb. Maybe. So soft that I am upset about the team having a little fun with a game that is not I doubt? That’s you kiddo.

It’s a game. They are kids who work their asses off and maintain a high level of mental toughness all year for 4-5 years. I have news for you. The players wanted to do this. It wasn’t the coaches idea.

What does a coach on the hot seat do when he has a full month of bowl prep to improve upon his offense in hopes of saving his career?

1. Arduously study what other successful coaches have done to create big plays and steal some outside ideas?
2. Evaluate all the talent on your roster and figure out a way to get your fastest and most elusive playmakers the ball in space?
3. Change your WR route trees to figure out ways to get them the ball?
4. Double down on the exact same failing offense, but add one new wrinkle involving direct snapping to...your tight end, who runs a 4.8 40?

If you said #4, you are correct! Never before have fans been exposed to anything as dumb as intentionally designing a wildcat offense around your tight end. Certainly not when you've got a wide range of explosive playmakers like Cooper DeJean, Kaleb Johnson, or X available to run it. Tight end wildcat (unless the tight end has elite speed, which LaPorta does not have) defies logic. It's not cute, it's not innovative, and it's not acceptable.

Playmakers see what's happening and are defecting right and left. Each of the top 4 Wrs on Iowa's roster have already jumped ship, Charlie Jones, Arland Bruce, Keagan Johnson, Tyrone Tracey finding success elsewhere. Iowa's staff has replaced them with recruits who have minimal, if any, scholarship offers from other schools. The transfer portal, thus far, has been a bust at WR. Copeland can't even get DIII WRs kids to commit, let alone the elite Power 5 WRs needed to right the ship. Can you blame them? They still don't know who will be calling plays for Iowa next year and they know Brian can't get it done.

Yesterday's bowl game ineptitude was the final straw. The program cannot move forward with Brian calling the plays. It sends the wrong message to athletes, parents, and fans.
How about play a garbage 12 place SEC teams with a 4th team linebacker filling in at qb.
But hey the tears and the jr high level pick 6s get you another 5 years of tolerance from the tavern Hawks.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Dumb. Maybe. So soft that I am upset about the team having a little fun with a game that is not I doubt? That’s you kiddo.

It’s a game. They are kids who work their asses off and maintain a high level of mental toughness all year for 4-5 years. I have news for you. The players wanted to do this. It wasn’t the coaches idea.

I'm all for them having fun but run that with dejean or X , I love LaPorta and if you want to do him favors throw him the ball even more. That first series he was in beast mode, then that was about it. That series with LaPorta running three straight times was silly imo

What does a coach on the hot seat do when he has a full month of bowl prep to improve upon his offense in hopes of saving his career?

1. Arduously study what other successful coaches have done to create big plays and steal some outside ideas?
2. Evaluate all the talent on your roster and figure out a way to get your fastest and most elusive playmakers the ball in space?
4. Double down on the exact same failing offense, but add one new wrinkle involving direct snapping to...your tight end, who runs a 4.8 40?

If you said #4, you are correct! Never before have fans been exposed to anything as dumb as intentionally designing a wildcat offense around your tight end. Certainly not when you've got a wide range of explosive playmakers like Cooper DeJean, Kaleb Johnson, or X available to run it. Tight end wildcat (unless the tight end has elite speed, which LaPorta does not have) defies logic. It's not cute, it's not innovative, and it's not acceptable.

Playmakers see what's happening and are defecting right and left. Each of the top 4 Wrs on Iowa's roster have already jumped ship, Charlie Jones, Arland Bruce, Keagan Johnson, Tyrone Tracey finding success elsewhere. Iowa's staff has replaced them with recruits who have minimal, if any, scholarship offers from other schools. The transfer portal, thus far, has been a bust at WR. Copeland can't even get DIII WRs kids to commit, let alone the elite Power 5 WRs needed to right the ship. Can you blame them? They still don't know who will be calling plays for Iowa next year and they know Brian can't get it done.

Yesterday's bowl game ineptitude was the final straw. The program cannot move forward with Brian calling the plays. It sends the wrong message to athletes, parents, and fans.
Who is this "coach on the hot seat" you speak of?

How about play a garbage 12 place SEC teams with a 4th team linebacker filling in at qb.
But hey the tears and the jr high level pick 6s get you another 5 years of tolerance from the tavern Hawks.

Can I get you fellas anything? Maybe a tissue? Some warm milk?

I still don’t understand why the term tavern Hawk is used here. Or considered an insult.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Um…anyone complaining about that series is simply looking for something to b$tch about and doesn’t understand why they had that in the playbook this week.

LaPorta was an emergency option for QB so they put in a package for him that he could execute should that situation be needed. Aka the coaching staff was prepared for worst case scenario, as they should be. When the game was in hand, they called that serious. And it was not poor play calling. We simply did not get the first down.

People complaining about it are the same people that would complain about the staff not doing anything new. And btw, I’ve been as critical about the offense as anyone this year.

If you didn't get the point that it was about giving props to Sam for the type of player and teammate he was then you are lost.
As good as he is he is not as good as our pervious TE I do not remember in pervious years this happening a full series wasted. I could definitely see a play maybe 2. To me I saw it as a slight to our young QB's

Tavern as in a loose meat sandwich (maid rite) or as in a bar? The use of that word is so unclear to me.
I think a tavern refers to an establishment where the odor of 80's vintage beer and cigarette smoke is still emanating from the walls.

Reactions: WSC72
Brian Ferentz shouldn’t be an OC but what do you expect when you field a sh**y OL, have 0 playmakers at WR and are starting your 3rd string QB.

I think a tavern refers to an establishment where the odor of 80's vintage beer and cigarette smoke is still emanating from the walls.

We still have one of those bars in my old hometown.

But tavern makes me think of the sandwich which we always had after Friday Night games when I was just a wee pup.

That darn @obfuscating always phrases things that are unclear, I swear he does it just to confuse people.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Um…anyone complaining about that series is simply looking for something to b$tch about and doesn’t understand why they had that in the playbook this week.

LaPorta was an emergency option for QB so they put in a package for him that he could execute should that situation be needed. Aka the coaching staff was prepared for worst case scenario, as they should be. When the game was in hand, they called that serious. And it was not poor play calling. We simply did not get the first down.

People complaining about it are the same people that would complain about the staff not doing anything new. And btw, I’ve been as critical about the offense as anyone this year.
Nailed it. We have some real dim heads in here who only b*tch and moan about BF and KF. Iowa wins, they b*tch and moan because they didn't like how they win, rinse, repeat.

I'm all for them having fun but run that with dejean or X , I love LaPorta and if you want to do him favors throw him the ball even more. That first series he was in beast mode, then that was about it. That series with LaPorta running three straight times was silly imo
Typical of this poster (cannot even accurately describe a 3 play series correctly). Happy New Year!

• Wow
Reactions: Kurt Warner
Cooper is already on punt returns, thank goodness, and his play count is an issue from what I've heard. Don't want to over use him. He might be one of the most important players on the team.

Maybe it was a team having fun? With a 21 point lead none of us,or the team, thought we would lose

If you didn't get the point that it was about giving props to Sam for the type of player and teammate he was then you are lost.

LIkely the case....they probably should have embraced making player's happy a little earlier---like before Charlie Jones and Keegan transferred out on consecutive years. Its a new era now with portal and NIL.

Maybe it was a team having fun? With a 21 point lead none of us,or the team, thought we would lose

I'm all for that but like the other guy said when you've looked as bad as you've had all year on offense it just looked stupid. Then it failed too making you look even dumber. To each his own but that was my take

Reactions: jhawk23
I know you have to think outside a tiny brain, but I'm guessing we were up 21-0 and LaPorta asked if he could do such during bowl prep if the chance came about...but keep batching about stupidness...the game was fully in hand.

Reactions: WamacCritic
God forbid a

God forbid letting a kid have some fun in a meaningless game that was already decided

I think it’s funny to read that people think Laporta is slow/not athletic. I would bet side to side he is one of the quickest on the team. He is also fast enough. Hoping to see him run a sub 4.7 40 at the combine.

We still have one of those bars in my old hometown.

But tavern makes me think of the sandwich which we always had after Friday Night games when I was just a wee pup.

That darn @obfuscating always phrases things that are unclear, I swear he does it just to confuse people.
what was confusing about what i stated?

The TE Wildcat was the final gift this season to the Sickos…

gift-that.gif

This. And they should have let Sam throw the damn ball too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT