ADVERTISEMENT

A new way of thinking? Limit your top guys matches to between 18-22 a year!

Feb 25, 2015
MMA guys fight only a few times a year so why do we ask Marinelli and Kemmerer,and Stoll do wrestle thirty matches and risk injury. Shorten the season. Big Ten Scholarships are all good for four years. Looking at starters, most of the teams across the Big Ten deal with too many injuries. Let’s save the sport, get more involvement, and lesson the number of matches. Just sayin!

I was going to start a thread on this very subject. I was going to look into the stats, but Lee and Nolf looked so fresh. It made me wish we saved the first competitions of our top guys until Midlands. Probably not a popular opinion.

giphy.gif

As opposed to the others with 30 plus wins?
Spencer progressed at an amazing pace, he at Midlands would not have won nationals.
The other part missing is the formula for seeding at nationals...
It would be better to get in a couple more easy opens like the UNI open and Lindenwood... to get match numbers up and pad the win totals.
If you looked at Missouri, what a colossal collapse. High seeds at 133,141, 149, 157, 174, and 197.
They fizzled, but their records against weak competition earned them high seeds.
Cruz was the one seed and I don't think he defeated a top 10 wrestler, and lost to Piccinni in the all star meet.
If we cut back on the schedule, they run the risk of lower seeds...
Wrestling today is nowhere near as physical as it was 20-30 years ago and it was not uncpmmpn to rack up 40 to 50 matches in a year, upper 39's was the norm.
Just saying, just because it worked for Snyder and Lee doesn't mean it works for all...

I was going to start a thread on this very subject. I was going to look into the stats, but Lee and Nolf looked so fresh. It made me wish we saved the first competitions of our top guys until Midlands. Probably not a popular opinion.
Shakur Rasheed, and Suriano did fine with less matches. Kemmerer was a clear number two and likely would have beat Nolf at Nationals if healthy. Marinelli looked amazing beating NCAA championship Joseph,but was dinged up. These guys are warriors. Less is more,imho. Deakin , Jennings,and Rivera all underperformed at Nationals. Minnesota had loads of injuries.

Reactions: Dagboi
MMA guys fight only a few times a year so why do we ask Marinelli and Kemmerer,and Stoll do wrestle thirty matches and risk injury. Shorten the season. Big Ten Scholarships are all good for four years. Looking at starters, most of the teams across the Big Ten deal with too many injuries. Let’s save the sport, get more involvement, and lesson the number of matches. Just sayin!
I believe the 4 year scholarship thing only applies to football and basketball since they are full rides.

As opposed to the others with 30 plus wins?
Spencer progressed at an amazing pace, he at Midlands would not have won nationals.
The other part missing is the formula for seeding at nationals...
It would be better to get in a couple more easy opens like the UNI open and Lindenwood... to get match numbers up and pad the win totals.
If you looked at Missouri, what a colossal collapse. High seeds at 133,141, 149, 157, 174, and 197.
They fizzled, but their records against weak competition earned them high seeds.
Cruz was the one seed and I don't think he defeated a top 10 wrestler, and lost to Piccinni in the all star meet.
If we cut back on the schedule, they run the risk of lower seeds...
Wrestling today is nowhere near as physical as it was 20-30 years ago and it was not uncpmmpn to rack up 40 to 50 matches in a year, upper 39's was the norm.
Just saying, just because it worked for Snyder and Lee doesn't mean it works for all...
Spencer can be a four time champ. He needs to limit freestyle matches. Heck, even Snyder looked spent at Nationals.

I think match limits can make sense but not as a general rule. Guys like nato who are cutting? Makes sense (and tantrom probably should have used it for Moore). To be clear, Snyder has completely separate and independent reasons.

Shakur Rasheed, and Suriano did fine with less matches. Kemmerer was a clear number two and likely would have beat Nolf at Nationals if healthy. Marinelli looked amazing beating NCAA championship Joseph,but was dinged up. These guys are warriors. Less is more,imho. Deakin , Jennings,and Rivera all underperformed at Nationals. Minnesota had loads of injuries.
I’m gonna ask again, do you think we just forget all about you being wrong on every prediction you make? You saying Kem would have beaten Nolf is like me saying I’d have gotten into Mila Kunis’s pants if I had only tried.

Are you ever right about anything? Kemmerer has not and will not ever beat Nolf.
I would not be so sure do you think any of penn states guys are any better than last year even zain looked like he had either regressed or just didn’t care if he destroyed everybody like he did last year.

Reactions: nearfall2
I disagree. Many posters on here agree with me that a healthy Kemmerer has a great shot at beating an injured Nolf at Nationals.
So you are saying the only way Kemmerer can beat Nolf is if he is injured and Kem is 100% healthy. Boy that is some wise prognostication! Using that theory anyone could beat anyone.
As I said are you ever right about anything?

You couldn't be more wrong about this. Wrestlers at every Division 1 program have turned into true athletes. It's why you can no longer wrestle 40 matches and stay intact. EVERYONE is in shape. Everyone trains hard. The Dan Gable acolytes are dispersed and the training methods have reached every corner of the country. Heck, look at the true freshmen that enter every year. In most cases, they are physically ready. A sport that used to poo-poo the idea of lifting weights 20-30 years ago, its damn near mandatory to do so prior to the 10th grade if you have plans on being good.

Not to mention the scrambling and the evolution of wrestling technique. Most everyone has access to it, and scrambling, while I hate watching it, is physical as it gets. Your knees are constantly at risk. Your shoulders are not leaving intact. I'll agree that maybe the training isn't as crazy, but that's more than been made up for with strength training and smarter wrestling.

Reactions: Dagboi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT