ADVERTISEMENT

A note from Adam Jacobi, publisher and editor-in-chief

Adam Jacobi

HR MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
Norm Macdonald GIF

Oh, did something happen today?

First and foremost, an enormous thanks to Josh Helmholdt and the entire Rivals.com crew for the work they did bringing us onboard. They make transitions look easy, but this was a big lift in not a lot of time.

Second, we’ve put together a bit of a mission statement to let you all know how things will — and won’t — be changing around here. Short version is this: we'll be reporting, we'll be doing recruiting, and all your cool stuff stays.

Last, as lead publisher, I owe it to you all to make a personal introduction. Many of you likely already know who I am, but in case not: I’m Adam Jacobi. Says right there by the post. Born and raised in Iowa quite a few years ago, currently a proud resident of Des Moines, and I’ve lived nearly my entire life in this state. And for just about my entire adult life, in one form or another, I’ve been writing about the Hawkeyes.

Go Iowa Awesome has been a labor of love for Ross, Pat and me for 7 1/2 years. Before that it was Black Heart Gold Pants for about the same amount of time. Before that it was The Hawkeye Compulsion and Steve Alford’s Hair Gel on Blogspot. Before that it was the Daily Iowan. Before that it was TheInsiders.com. Before that it was The Hawks Nest message board. I’ve been blessed with opportunities to write for various national outlets along the way, but make no mistake: the Iowa Hawkeyes have always been my north star.

My two favorite sports are football and basketball (men’s and women’s) — and once the Cubs are good again I’ll pick baseball back up too. Not a whole lot of things I actively dislike, but video review is atop that short list. Seriously, I think it makes every sport outside of tennis less entertaining and erodes confidence in referees to a catastrophic degree.

Like anyone else in their 40s, I think music was better decades ago and 99% of the new stuff sucks. These kids don't know about the Beastie Boys or Led Zeppelin. I will make esoteric, dated pop culture references that only like three other people get. This does not deter me in any way.

But at the end of the day, it always comes back to Iowa. The state, the university, the team. And the fact that we're inheriting a community like this makes me incredibly stoked and filled with gratitude. Even if they wouldn't let me use the name Frank Stallone.
6abb7223987e5dce2bda8d0d77f9fd6bb0175e49

Norm Macdonald GIF

Oh, did something happen today?

First and foremost, an enormous thanks to Josh Helmholdt and the entire Rivals.com crew for the work they did bringing us onboard. They make transitions look easy, but this was a big lift in not a lot of time.

Second, we’ve put together a bit of a mission statement to let you all know how things will — and won’t — be changing around here. Short version is this: we'll be reporting, we'll be doing recruiting, and all your cool stuff stays.

Last, as lead publisher, I owe it to you all to make a personal introduction. Many of you likely already know who I am, but in case not: I’m Adam Jacobi. Says right there by the post. Born and raised in Iowa quite a few years ago, currently a proud resident of Des Moines, and I’ve lived nearly my entire life in this state. And for just about my entire adult life, in one form or another, I’ve been writing about the Hawkeyes.

Go Iowa Awesome has been a labor of love for Ross, Pat and me for 7 1/2 years. Before that it was Black Heart Gold Pants for about the same amount of time. Before that it was The Hawkeye Compulsion and Steve Alford’s Hair Gel on Blogspot. Before that it was the Daily Iowan. Before that it was TheInsiders.com. Before that it was The Hawks Nest message board. I’ve been blessed with opportunities to write for various national outlets along the way, but make no mistake: the Iowa Hawkeyes have always been my north star.

My two favorite sports are football and basketball (men’s and women’s) — and once the Cubs are good again I’ll pick baseball back up too. Not a whole lot of things I actively dislike, but video review is atop that short list. Seriously, I think it makes every sport outside of tennis less entertaining and erodes confidence in referees to a catastrophic degree.

Like anyone else in their 40s, I think music was better decades ago and 99% of the new stuff sucks. These kids don't know about the Beastie Boys or Led Zeppelin. I will make esoteric, dated pop culture references that only like three other people get. This does not deter me in any way.

But at the end of the day, it always comes back to Iowa. The state, the university, the team. And the fact that we're inheriting a community like this makes me incredibly stoked and filled with gratitude. Even if they wouldn't let me use the name Frank Stallone.
6abb7223987e5dce2bda8d0d77f9fd6bb0175e49

This is cool and all…but do you like beer? If so, doyou like to show your appreciation of beer by buying large amounts to….let’s say your members?

Welcome! Good to see some of the old gang from The Hawks Nest alive and well. (Although I can’t remember what your user names were over there … was one of you “CorrectHawk”?)

Anyway, I’ve enjoyed your work over the years, and I can’t wait to see what you do with the old place. Best of luck.

A few questions before I decide if I want to stay here...

1. Opinions on Albert Fish?
2. Do you own a dog? Weird question but I'm a professor of logic at the local university.

I did not used to spend a lot of time reading BHGP but the times I did it was funny. I think the one about the running back monster which reaches up from under the field and gets the RB outta nowhere, was pretty good. AIRBHG or whatever his name was.

I did not used to spend a lot of time reading BHGP but the times I did it was funny. I think the one about the running back monster which reaches up from under the field and gets the RB outta nowhere, was pretty good. AIRBHG or whatever his name was.

Man, I generally enjoy your posts but WTF are you doing uttering that name? If we end up having to get Paki another year of eligibility, I am digging this up to show who to blame.

This is cool and all…but do you like beer? If so, doyou like to show your appreciation of beer by buying large amounts to….let’s say your members?
You know, when I got the notification for this last night, I went out to do exactly that, but it was after 2 AM so they wouldn't sell it to me. Bummer! And now the moment's gone! Hands are tied by the law, nothing more that could be done!

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Wasn’t there a Tucson Hawk and The Sarge back on the Hawks Nest?
Hell, I was on that board. The only reason I matriculated over to Rivals is because the kids were playing ball for West High and enjoyed the prep board.

Was it Derek that moderated/owned HawksNest? That was actually an enjoyable board.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
You know, when I got the notification for this last night, I went out to do exactly that, but it was after 2 AM so they wouldn't sell it to me. Bummer! And now the moment's gone! Hands are tied by the law, nothing more that could be done!
off-to-a-good-start-start.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT