ADVERTISEMENT

A note from Adam Jacobi, publisher and editor-in-chief

Adam Jacobi

HR MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
Norm Macdonald GIF

Oh, did something happen today?

First and foremost, an enormous thanks to Josh Helmholdt and the entire Rivals.com crew for the work they did bringing us onboard. They make transitions look easy, but this was a big lift in not a lot of time.

Second, we’ve put together a bit of a mission statement to let you all know how things will — and won’t — be changing around here. Short version is this: we'll be reporting, we'll be doing recruiting, and all your cool stuff stays.

Last, as lead publisher, I owe it to you all to make a personal introduction. Many of you likely already know who I am, but in case not: I’m Adam Jacobi. Says right there by the post. Born and raised in Iowa quite a few years ago, currently a proud resident of Des Moines, and I’ve lived nearly my entire life in this state. And for just about my entire adult life, in one form or another, I’ve been writing about the Hawkeyes.

Go Iowa Awesome has been a labor of love for Ross, Pat and me for 7 1/2 years. Before that it was Black Heart Gold Pants for about the same amount of time. Before that it was The Hawkeye Compulsion and Steve Alford’s Hair Gel on Blogspot. Before that it was the Daily Iowan. Before that it was TheInsiders.com. Before that it was The Hawks Nest message board. I’ve been blessed with opportunities to write for various national outlets along the way, but make no mistake: the Iowa Hawkeyes have always been my north star.

My two favorite sports are football and basketball (men’s and women’s) — and once the Cubs are good again I’ll pick baseball back up too. Not a whole lot of things I actively dislike, but video review is atop that short list. Seriously, I think it makes every sport outside of tennis less entertaining and erodes confidence in referees to a catastrophic degree.

Like anyone else in their 40s, I think music was better decades ago and 99% of the new stuff sucks. These kids don't know about the Beastie Boys or Led Zeppelin. I will make esoteric, dated pop culture references that only like three other people get. This does not deter me in any way.

But at the end of the day, it always comes back to Iowa. The state, the university, the team. And the fact that we're inheriting a community like this makes me incredibly stoked and filled with gratitude. Even if they wouldn't let me use the name Frank Stallone.
6abb7223987e5dce2bda8d0d77f9fd6bb0175e49

Well we are off to a better start than Kakert.

Who is your favorite Iowa bball player?
Current: would not have expected this 12 months ago but it's Rebraca.

All time: absolutely impossible to answer, but give me a starting five of Andre Woolridge, Chris Kingsbury, Chris Street, Keegan Murray and Luka Garza, and I will stand in front of an army of thousands to defend their honor.

All time: absolutely impossible to answer, but give me a starting five of Andre Woolridge, Chris Kingsbury, Chris Street, Keegan Murray and Luka Garza, and I will stand in front of an army of thousands to defend their honor.

Thats a fun team

Reactions: Adam Jacobi
I’m a long time Awesome reader and have been active on Hawks Nest and Black Heart Gold Pants - used to go by Dean Oliver’s Five O’clock Shadow.

Last edited:
Hello! Thanks for this note! Looking forward to your direction and leadership in 2023 :)

Would you be open to a WBB forum? Many of us would like to see this and have asked a few times but were shut down rather unceremoniously by TK.

Reactions: slipHawk

Any all time Iowa basketball team has to include the greatest IA player ever - Ronnie Lester at PG, Freddie Brown at SG, John Johnson at SF - and I agree that Keegan Murray and Luka Garza would round out the top starting five.

Anybody who thinks Andre W or BJ Armstrong could even begin to play in the same league as a healthy Ronnie Lester never saw Ronnie Lester play. There is a reason Magic Johnson called Ronnie Lester the best collegiate player he ever faced.

Last edited:
Your site is already awesome, but adding a live-video group-chat game-watch feature? That sounds like a fantastic idea! It would take the whole experience to a whole new level of interactive fun!

Imagine watching games together with fellow enthusiasts, cheering, and discussing the action in real-time! That sense of community and camaraderie would be incredible.

If you ever decide to implement this feature, count me in! I'd love to be a part of the action. For others who are curious, they can see here for more information about this exciting idea.

Last edited:
Your site is already awesome, but adding a live-video group-chat game-watch feature? That sounds like a fantastic idea! It would take the whole experience to a whole new level of interactive fun!
Yeah… the only thing worse than watching someone else watch a game? Is if they look like you lot.

ADVERTISEMENT