ADVERTISEMENT

A parent just refused to have her kid do part of my online lesson.

That's all I got. I posted my lesson for the week. The guy who just played Black Panther died of cancer. It a cartoon workout video in a group of super hero workout videos. I picked that one. A parent replied what I posted. I had no idea a super hero could offend someone. Harry Potter? Yes. Super heroes? No idea. Other than that I know nothing about the family other than the boy is a nice kid.
Who's offended by Harry Potter? Is it like those folks who don't do Santa/Easter Bunny because they don't want their kids to apply fake Santa/Easter Bunny to God? Is it people who don't care for the author's politics which are barely present in the books?

Update - it's religious based. They feel he is demonic. Halloween, costumes, wearing masks - for covid, dress up days like "Pirate Day" are offensive to them. Our PTA picked out a Disney movie for our outside movie night last year and mom complained to our principal about the characters being demons.

Principal was grilled by them in a long meeting about her religion before they would send their kid here.

Poor kid is gonna do so much meth at 19 (I kid).

Who's offended by Harry Potter? Is it like those folks who don't do Santa/Easter Bunny because they don't want their kids to apply fake Santa/Easter Bunny to God? Is it people who don't care for the author's politics which are barely present in the books?
We have a teacher with an awesome Harry Potter based classroom. A parent walked into her room last year on the open house night before the school year started, turned and walked out with her kid. She went to the principal demanding her child be removed from that class because "Clearly witchcraft is going to be taught in there." Sigh.

Is this your attempt at an insult? I graduated U of I 2003. Definitely not a secondary education degree though. I wanted to make some money. Not that it matters though. My 3 brothers didn’t go to college and are making a tone of money in the trades. Thats the way to go.

I’m was considerably more proud of my degrees from Iowa before reading this.

Reactions: ping72
We have a teacher with an awesome Harry Potter based classroom. A parent walked into her room last year on the open house night before the school year started, turned and walked out with her kid. She went to the principal demanding her child be removed from that class because "Clearly witchcraft is going to be taught in there." Sigh.
You guys teach witchcraft? Can non-trads enroll? I have my diploma and degree, just looking to continue my education.

Update - it's religious based. They feel he is demonic. Halloween, costumes, wearing masks - for covid, dress up days like "Pirate Day" are offensive to them. Our PTA picked out a Disney movie for our outside movie night last year and mom complained to our principal about the characters being demons.

Principal was grilled by them in a long meeting about her religion before they would send their kid here.

Freaking pietists and their legalism.

Reactions: Tom Paris

Especially when the movies first came out, I remember people objecting to them b/c it "celebrated" witchcraft.

My response to that was the same it is for violent video games - don't watch them/buy them for your kids.

Especially when the movies first came out, I remember people objecting to them b/c it "celebrated" witchcraft.

My response to that was the same it is for violent video games - don't watch them/buy them for your kids.
That's kinda what's weird. Violence is real. Witchcraft is not real. At least not according to public school curricula.

Why? You are incapable of learning regardless.

I have found on this board that people who rip teachers usually had a negative experience at some point with a teacher and/or find the random examples online of bad teaching and then project that on to all teachers.

Obviously, teaching, like any profession, is going to have bad apples. Sometimes, that's on the parents also for finding the strangest things to object to. It's also on the teachers for not always thinking a project thru, like the one that was mentioned a few weeks back about a teacher asking students to think like a slave, or whatever the specifics were. I can understand the attempt to present the material in a new and creative way, but clearly that was one that wasn't fully thought through. And of course you've got some who are just in it for the paycheck

Barring extraordinary circumstances, politics should never be discussed outside the social studies department, and even there, primarily in the American Government/Civics classes.

They don't. . . but they also would object to their kids being in Harry Potter themed classrooms too.

They are pietists . . . this is what they do. They create more and more legalistic ways in which they avoid pretty much every aspect society outside of their religious community.

No gambling, no drinking, no music with bad words. . . that is if they are allowed to listen to music that isn't specifically Christian in nature at all, probably no movies that are rated anything higher than G. Again that is if they are allowed to watch any movies at all that arn't specifically Christian. They arn't allowed to kiss before marriage, and for some of them they can't even hold hands. All their dates are chaperoned.

This group really is a drag. They seem to think the concept of fun is a sin.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Please OP I hope you don't instill your Coronavirus paranoia with your students
200.gif

• Haha
I know of one I have worked with - crazy woman...like literally batshit - made a comment about Trump, dad was RIGHTFULLY pissed and had his kid pulled from her class.

I hate Trump and I have zero problem with this. Other than that I don't know other teachers who do and I KNOW this is totally exaggerated by the Republicans.
The problem is, for many hardcore Trumpists, things like “evolution” or “climate change” or “the constitution” are considered partisan attacks on their beliefs. It’s hard to not offend these people when reality has such a decided “liberal bias.”

The problem is, for many hardcore Trumpists, things like “evolution” or “climate change” or “the constitution” are considered partisan attacks on their beliefs. It’s hard to not offend these people when reality has such a decided “liberal bias.”

I'm generalizing, but at times it feels like conservatives have gradually into the "all new ideas are bad" camp - therefore schools are indoctrinating our kids.

That's kinda what's weird. Violence is real. Witchcraft is not real. At least not according to public school curricula.

Well the bible talks about witchcraft as in the practice of a Pagan religion. The pietists are unable to separate the fantasy idea of witches from the actual religious practice.

I don't want my kids learning witchcraft as in the religious practices of Wicca either. But Harry Potter is pure fantasy that isn't really associated with the religious practices.

Good for you. Seriously, thank you for not doing so. But please don't pretend there aren't plenty of teachers that do. With 3 kids ranging from 14-18, we've had more than our fair share of teachers who couldn't help themselves very frequently go off the rails on politics in the classroom.

With 3 kids ranging from 13-17, we've never had a teacher who has gone off the rails on politics in the classroom.

Heck, in nearly 40 years of combined experience working in schools between my wife and I, I can think of maybe 3 instances where we had colleagues who have gone off the rails on politics in the classroom. And 2 of them were conservatives.

Anecdotes are fun.

Last edited:
Ask Tom. Or ask Goldmom what parents think of me as a teacher. It was explained to her after she posted something similar to what you say here. I appreciate, even though she and I don't agree on a lot, she doesn't bring my job into the conversation anymore.

I NEVER talk politics. EVER. It isn't my job, no matter what you guys on the radical right think we teachers do to indoctrinate kids. It's fake news. So just stop with this because you're making stuff up and as wrong as you could be. Not everything is about political views, so don't try to tie it into my job. Thank you.

Tom never talks politics, guys.

I'm generalizing, but at times it feels like conservatives have gradually into the "all new ideas are bad" camp - therefore schools are indoctrinating our kids.

All new ideas aren't good either, but it seems a lot of them are imposed anyway.

Critical Race Theory...a creation of the liberal left is an example.

Just curious… What religion is this?

Remember the lady that called the school bus company about the brake lights being in the shape a Satanic Symbol

All new ideas aren't good either, but it seems a lot of them are imposed anyway.

Critical Race Theory...a creation of the liberal left is an example.

Didn't say they were, but that's different from automatically rejecting anything that's different.

Reactions: RileyHawk
But again, that appears to be the argument anytime a new idea gets put out there. Democracy was/is considered a fairly liberal idea once upon a time too you know...

Classical Liberalism is far different from the antics of the current Left

I have found on this board that people who rip teachers usually had a negative experience at some point with a teacher and/or find the random examples online of bad teaching and then project that on to all teachers.

Obviously, teaching, like any profession, is going to have bad apples. Sometimes, that's on the parents also for finding the strangest things to object to. It's also on the teachers for not always thinking a project thru, like the one that was mentioned a few weeks back about a teacher asking students to think like a slave, or whatever the specifics were. I can understand the attempt to present the material in a new and creative way, but clearly that was one that wasn't fully thought through. And of course you've got some who are just in it for the paycheck

Barring extraordinary circumstances, politics should never be discussed outside the social studies department, and even there, primarily in the American Government/Civics classes.
I taught high school, but started out as a substitute and was in every grade level. I always enjoyed it. Saw and heard a lot. And I learned a lot, too.

I mean, every thread repeats itself, so what’s the point?
I don't read most threads. In fact if I find someone boringly repetitive and devoid of humor or incite I'll block them.
I'm curious about what makes some folks tick. What's the point of communication if I don't learn things from interacting with people. Or at least get a laugh out of it.

ADVERTISEMENT