ADVERTISEMENT

A Petition To The NCAA Requesting Changes To The Redshirt Rules For Wrestling

I like the idea, and I'd really like to see more kids get a chance to get some live action. Michigan, Iowa, ASU, PSU and most other programs have 38-42 kids on roster, why not a "JV" type program? Teams can bring 10 more kids that get to travel with the team, get some live action against real competition at conference duals. These JV matches would not burn shirt but also allow some true backups to get some work.

Reactions: el dub
I like the idea, and I'd really like to see more kids get a chance to get some live action. Michigan, Iowa, ASU, PSU and most other programs have 38-42 kids on roster, why not a "JV" type program? Teams can bring 10 more kids that get to travel with the team, get some live action against real competition at conference duals. These JV matches would not burn shirt but also allow some true backups to get some work.
Agreed. But there is always a money component tucked away somewhere. Even something as simple as Referees. Do you hire more for the JV matches? Do you pay them more or a per match fee, etc.? Are the concessions opened early, the parking, etc.

Think of all the people it takes to operate a sold out show like Hawks vs PSU. Lot of other factors come into play, and most aren't free.

Agreed. But there is always a money component tucked away somewhere. Even something as simple as Referees. Do you hire more for the JV matches? Do you pay them more or a per match fee, etc.? Are the concessions opened early, the parking, etc.

Think of all the people it takes to operate a sold out show like Hawks vs PSU. Lot of other factors come into play, and most aren't free.
Of course there are details that need to be worked out and money is always an issue, the OP Idea, at least in part, was to get more kids the opportunity to wrestle. His idea, without adding events or opportunities would actually take more matches away from true starters. I want to see kids like Spencer Lee, (80 NCAA matches compared to Cael 159, and I understand this is probably extreme example),wrestle more but would also like to reward the 25-30 kids that pour blood sweat and tears in these rooms to get some opportunities. Sure, pay for an extra ref by selling tee shirts and beer a little longer, schedule only 4, to closer geographical schools, but try something to reward these kids.

@PinDoxRico

Why didn't Brennan wrestle in the 3rd place match at the last chance open? And is he coming back to challenge Nelson Brands next year at 174? I love his go for broke style. We need more of that on the team imo.

He has been liking threads… But he has not posted since January 28. I’m guessing he has been asked or told not to post here for the time being.

Reactions: el dub and Gobblin
He has been liking threads… But he has not posted since January 28. I’m guessing he has been asked or told not to post here for the time being.
Yeah I posted the questions to him right after he "liked" one of my posts. I figured I'd give it a shot since he is a talker. Oh well, It was worth a shot

Hasn't mepo talked about the fact he is from Mediapolis and has a p/k in HS that Iowa is taking a look at? Unless him and Swafford are one and the same, or this is a joke and im way out of it
I believe they are in-fact the same person.

@PinDoxRico

Why didn't Brennan wrestle in the 3rd place match at the last chance open? And is he coming back to challenge Nelson Brands next year at 174? I love his go for broke style. We need more of that on the team imo.
It was precautionary… he dinged up his elbow in the Runyon match, but is ok now. Interesting day that day… lol get this… in 2019, I was one of the guys in that selected the “best of the best: wrestler of the year” for all 3 classes for The Predicament… The guys we chose that year were 1A: John Henrich of Akron-Westfield, 2A: Julien Broderson of Davenport Assumption and 3A: Lance Runyon of SE Polk… and as an “award” I made them all “wrestler of the year” highlight reels… so get this… Henrich beat Brennan in the finals the year before in what is IMO one of the best matches wrestled at state in the 2010’s despite us losing…. And then last week, Brennan’s draw was Julien Broderson first round and the winner would get Lance Runyon 2nd round. Lol 2 of the 3 guys I selected for wrestler of the year were Brennan’s first matches that day. It was kind of nerve-racking for me, for obviously I have tons of respect for those two…I helped choose them both. Not to mention, with me making them highlight reels, I watched almost every match they had in HS their last two years and had no idea what to expect with their styles and Brennan’s styles colliding. Anyways, That was the 2nd time Julien and Brennan met this year… Those two were huge rivals back when they were 5-11 or so years old… no joke. The match at Last Chance was a little closer than the first one… In the first one, we were fortunate enough to get early back points, which put Julien in a situation where he had to come back the whole match. Brennan won this one like 4–1 in this one. Was on the fortunate end of a scramble for a takedown. Those two have competed fiercely against each other for almost 2 decades now. Then against Runyon, it was like a roller-coaster… got the first takedown, then gave up a few in that first period… Runyon’s length threw Brennan off for a minute or two there. It was like when he would counter his shot, he wouldnt kick back far enough, for Lance has such great length with his arms to where he was able to trip his heel up on his shots… then with Brennan on bottom, he struggled in the 2nd and I know why…. Because he knew that Runyon was going to try a cross face cradle at the slightest hint of balling up, so then when he’d straighten out, Runyon would run a tightwaste/head lever and it’s like he spent the entire period trying to counter both while getting called for stalling in the process. Then finally in the last period, he started kinda getting a “feel” and started tacking on some takedowns of his own, but there wasn’t enough time… high scoring match for both of them. Lance is gonna do nice things at UNI.

He’s coming back… I don’t know what weight he will be… if he hits the weights hard like Cass and Wilson did this past offseason, who knows what weight he would end up at. But yeah, he’s here to stay. I don’t think he would want to deal with the stress of transferring with credits and what not even if he weren’t happy (which he is happy). Not to mention, Daniel Dennis is slowly starting to become one of his favorite coaches he’s ever had.

His go for broke style will never change… he’s been that way since Kindergarten. I’ve always thought it was so fun to watch. Glad some of you guys like it too!

Last edited:
Pretty sure @MepoDawg# is the same person…
No… he and I have gotten that a few times…even on The Predicament. Pretty sure MepoDawg is a Morning Sun guy.

I’ve mostly posted on 4 forums for 20 or so years (since my Junior year in HS)…. IowaPreps, ChiefsPlanet, The Predicament and here… I posted on the other 10-100X more than I’ve posted on here so far… anyways, in that time, I’ve had ONE mult account. And that was on HERE of all places before I even created this account. I used it as a normal account at first, but at the time I was really pissed off at IAwrestle about something and was frankly really pissed off at life in general at that time, for it was at the beginning of my divorce… anyways, that account quickly turned into a troll account in which I talked a bunch of smack about and trolled the hell out of IAwrestle on here…. And I have spent so many years hating “mult accounts” so much, that I couldn’t keep my identity a secret very long. I think I was on here maybe 5 days before I was open about being me. Only time I’ve ever been able to get myself to use a mult in all my flame-warring years. Not my thing.

I wouldn’t have started this account if I could have remembered the password for the other account I had on here… my profile picture is similar to the one I had on there.

Oh! And IAwrestle and I have since buried the hatchet. I 💯 regret that whole phase where Tony Hager and I were always getting into twitter wars. I’ve gotten to know him a bit since… people can say what they want about Tony or IAwrestle, but I personally feel that he is a good guy and that they work their asses off at IAwrestle. He is the only other wrestling media person I can think of who has gone out of their way to help me/thepindoctors with something in which they absolutely had nothing to gain from it.

Reactions: el dub and hlstone
Nah, not the case at all. To start, my friends and family know that “telling me not to do something” is generally the wrong approach to take with me, for I will always do what I want in terms of speaking my mind. Pretty stubborn in that category. I have been “asked” by my friends/family to stop posting on here one time and that was on the night/day after the Minnesota meet. And that’s when I stopped posting that night… Basically had to force myself to see through the rage-red I was seeing that night and realize that the more I ran my mouth, the more I could potentially make things increasingly awkward between Brennan and his coaches/teammates, which is the LAST damn thing I wanted to happen…he was under enough stress as it was, to say the absolute least. But yeah, I haven’t been asked or told to stop posting by anyone… In fact, a lot of my friends/family who read these forums have told me they like some of the stuff I’ve posted.

I haven’t been on here for a few reasons. 1.) Busy with the kids and girlfriend. 2.) Been busy with Pin Doctors… I just hit 19K Facebook followers tonight… just a few weeks ago, I was at 16K… thing is taking off! And 3.) The way Brennan’s season unfolded this year really stressed me out and it was starting to make me depressed coming on here and thinking about it over and over. Needed some time away to not obsess over it. And with this petition/redshirt kick that I am on… It doesn’t matter if I only have a 1 in a million chance of succeeding… I will NOT stop trying to get Brennan’s (and whoever else has had to prematurely burn their shirt) redshirt back for this year. I will keep pushing for this until it’s officially 💯 for sure NOT gonna happen this season…. We’ve all had so much fun watching Brennan wrestle for years and we aren’t quite ready for that era to stop anytime soon… we want that year. And if it doesn’t get done this year, I will start in on trying to put a bug in the NCAA’s ear for NEXT season. I firmly do believe that the coaches are being put in strenuous situations to make these types of decisions with their lineups because of Covid. I’m gonna do anything I possibly can… I don’t see any reason the NCAA wouldn’t at least review the situation and concerns at hand and if they don’t, then they aren’t doing their jobs.

Yeah I posted the questions to him right after he "liked" one of my posts. I figured I'd give it a shot since he is a talker. Oh well, It was worth a shot

I think I was driving home when I read them last week and meant to get back to ya, but just kinda got busy. I had a couple posts on Pin Doctors that had some comments that I needed to watch closely because people were crossing lines/boundaries. That doesn’t happen very often and I freaking hate it when it does. Have only had to ban one person In 2 years so far.

Looks like somebody was sidelined until March 1 🤣. Welcome back!

Edit: maybe not, nevermind!

Lol yeah, I tore some cartilage in my right index finger… for rehab, I’ve been instructed to stay off my phone and laptop and haven’t been able to do anything, but ride the bike lately!

It was precautionary… he dinged up his elbow in the Runyon match, but is ok now. Interesting day that day… lol get this… in 2019, I was in charge of selecting the “best of the best: wrestler of the year” for The Predicament… and the process became such a headache to where I reached a point where I said I would only do it if I could pick a guy for each class (1A,2A and 3A)… I wouldn’t do it if I could only choose one guy. Wyatt agreed to it. The guys I chose that year were 1A: John Henrich of Akron-Westfield, 2A: Julien Broderson of Davenport Assumption and 3A: Lance Runyon of SE Polk… and as an “award” I made them all “wrestler of the year” highlight reels… so get this… Henrich beat Brennan in the finals the year before in what is IMO one of the best matches wrestled at state in the 2010’s despite us losing…. And then last week, Brennan’s draw was Julien Broderson first round and the winner would get Lance Runyon 2nd round. Lol 2 of the 3 guys I selected for wrestler of the year were Brennan’s first matches that day. It was kind of nerve-racking for me, for obviously I have tons of respect for those two…I chose them both. Not to mention, with me making them highlight reels, I watched almost every match they had in HS their last two years and had no idea what to expect with their styles and Brennan’s styles colliding. Anyways, That was the 2nd time Julien and Brennan met this year… Those two were huge rivals back when they were 5-11 or so years old… no joke. The match at Last Chance was a little closer than the first one… In the first one, we were fortunate enough to get early back points, which put Julien in a situation where he had to come back the whole match. Brennan won this one like 4–1 in this one. Was on the fortunate end of a scramble for a takedown. Those two have competed fiercely against each other for almost 2 decades now. Then against Runyon, it was like a roller-coaster… got the first takedown, then gave up a few in that first period… Runyon’s length threw Brennan off for a minute or two there. It was like when he would counter his shot, he wouldnt kick back far enough, for Lance has such great length with his arms to where he was able to trip his heel up on his shots… then with Brennan on bottom, he struggled in the 2nd and I know why…. Because he knew that Runyon was going to try a cross face cradle at the slightest hint of balling up, so then when he’d straighten out, Runyon would run a tightwaste/head lever and it’s like he spent the entire period trying to counter both while getting called for stalling in the process. Then finally in the last period, he started kinda getting a “feel” and started tacking on some takedowns of his own, but there wasn’t enough time… high scoring match for both of them. Lance is gonna do nice things at UNI.

He’s coming back… I don’t know what weight he will be… if he hits the weights hard like Cass and Wilson did this past offseason, who knows what weight he would end up at. But yeah, he’s here to stay. I don’t think he would want to deal with the stress of transferring with credits and what not even if he weren’t happy (which he is happy). Not to mention, Daniel Dennis is slowly starting to become one of his favorite coaches he’s ever had.

His go for broke style will never change… he’s been that way since Kindergarten. I’ve always thought it was so fun to watch. Glad some of you guys like it too!
Good to see you back. Enjoy reading your posts.

Reactions: PinDoxRico
Lol come on I’ve written like 350 books for you guys just in this thread alone! I’m sure you can find some reasons! 😆
Naw…. You’re passionate about college wrestling, have a family member on the roster and apparently staff hasn’t convinced you to stop posting.yet. Lol

There’s always the chance we get some truth serum down your gullet and you finally write a tell-all. But playing nice might get us further than trying to drown you in the shallow end of the cesspool. (Did I just type that?)

I inadvertently posted something that was incorrect in one of those posts above… I wasn’t the only one who selected the best of the best guys for the predicament… there were 3 of us who cast votes in that. I don’t know why I remembered that incorrectly when I wrote that, but ugh… that was embarrassing… It’s edited now.

Btw, I can’t remember if I ever posted these on here… I think I may have just posted on the fan group on Facebook…. But I made reels for Rathjen and Brennan at the scuffle… here they are:

I got 823 sigs on this thing before I sent it off to a couple-few NCAA reps. I have NO idea if this petition made a difference or if anyone from the NCAA even read it, but at the least, I know this thing didn’t hurt matters.

thanks to all of you who signed it!

I published a petition to the NCAA requesting that they consider changing the current redshirt rules of NCAA Wrestling to be the same as they are for football… Here is what I wrote to them in my request… If you agree and feel that NCAA Wrestling SHOULD allow an athlete to compete in 4 events (like football) without burning their redshirt, then PLEASE help support this cause by clicking on the link and signing the petition… You could also support this cause by sharing this post in order to attain as many signatures as possible… THANK YOU!!! 💪🏻

To whom may concern,

I am writing this letter to bring to your attention something that is currently unfair in NCAA Wrestling and requires immediate attention.

For NCAA football players, an athlete can fully attend classes, practice with the team, and even “suit up” in the team uniform and play up to four games to preserve a year of eligibility. This was implemented, I believe, in 2018 and these changes have since received widespread approval from the athletes, coaches, parents, etc. who were affected by it. Previous to those changes taking place, a player couldn’t participate or “suit up” in one game without “burning” their redshirts.

Meanwhile, the redshirt rules of NCAA Wrestling are the same as the NCAA Football rules were prior to the well-received changes that were made. If a wrestler competes in one event, their redshirt is “burned.” With the Covid epidemic still ever present, it has caused some NCAA Wrestling Coaches to more frequently have to resort to “burning” a wrestler’s redshirt to compete in emergency situations, not only when a starter gets hurt, but when a starter tests positive for Covid as well now, thus resulting in a lost year of eligibility for the non-starter. This is unfair to the athletes, for it causes them to lose a year of eligibility, resulting in a wasted year in terms of meeting their individual goals that they work so hard for. It is unfair to the coaches, for they shouldn’t have to endure the stress of forcing an athlete to sacrifice a year of their eligibility out of necessity due to circumstances that are beyond their control. It is also unfair to the families of the athletes who lose eligibility, for it’s difficult to simultaneously understand the circumstances of the situation and not become anxious, angry or upset for their family member. It is an undue hardship for everyone involved and changing the current wrestling redshirt rules to being the same as the current (and well-received) football redshirt rules would alleviate this hardship entirely for all sides involved.

The NCAA’s mission statement is focused on cultivating an environment that emphasizes academics, fairness and well-being across college sports. I feel that achieving the “fairness” and “well-being” components of the NCAA’s mission statement will be much easier to achieve and maintain if the proposed changes are made to the wrestling redshirt rules as soon as possible considering the unpredictable nature of the Covid epidemic.

We appreciate the NCAA and the opportunities it provides to our nation’s young, aspiring student-athletes. I am confident that you have a mutual appreciation for the student-athletes and coaches as well and with that said, thank you for taking the time to review and give this proposal the consideration and attention it deserves.

-The Wrestling Community
With all respect, you don't speak for me, so don't sign for me.
It should be signed "Some members of the college wrestling community."

ADVERTISEMENT