ADVERTISEMENT

A QB plan for the Bears...

Right but my point remains. First round QBs do still get sat for their first year.

Is there any data to show this happens more often than it did at some point in the past? It's always situational and FTR, I actually prefer them to sit a year. It seems like some of the best (Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes) sat a year or more whether planned or not.
Even going back there’s no track record of quarterbacks success based on sitting or not. Manning didn’t, aikman didnt, Big Ben didn’t, etc. and Brady was a 5th round pick, and who knows what happens to him if Bledsoe doesn’t get hurt. People forget that Bledsoe was still a pretty good quarterback prior to the injury. Rodgers sat behind a HOF qb who never missed a game, and Alex Smith played pretty well during Mahomes rookie year. Those exceptions you cite are situations where a quarterback was drafted into a pretty good situation and the urgency to play the young rookie wasn’t there.

rookie success is determined as much as, if not more than their talent level itself, as by the coaching staff. Mahomes and Lamar have done well for example, because Reid and Harbaugh built their offenses to fit their qb, and not forcing the qb to fit their offense. Nagy didn’t do that with either Trubisky or Fields, neither of whom are pocket passers but damned if Nagy seem determined to fit them into what he wanted to do.

You can have Teddy Bridgewater.

…and Drew Lock if you want him.

Foles has a $10.67 million cap hit this year. Siemian will be $1.6 million.

This signing makes all the sense in the world, assuming Poles can find a team that will trade for Foles.

Speaking Monday, Bears GM Ryan Poles said that "nothing has popped up right now, but we're working on it," in regards to trading QB Nick Foles.​

"Hopefully something pops up," Poles added. The Bears are on the hook for a $10.6 million cap number for Foles this year and would save slightly more money trading him than cutting him, if you're curious Why This Is A Thing. No team has expressed interest in Foles that is currently public.

I heard on a Mina Kimes podcast episode that the Bears will have over $125 MILLION in cap space next year.

The Bears’ roster is going to be worse, and they’ve done little to address the OL.

I heard on a Mina Kimes podcast episode that the Bears will have over $125 MILLION in cap space next year.

The Bears’ roster is going to be worse, and they’ve done little to address the OL.
Bates getting signed by Buffalo was a kick in the junk. That would have made me feel a lot better... but I'm withholding judgement for a while because this roster was/is a frickin mess

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Bates getting signed by Buffalo was a kick in the junk. That would have made me feel a lot better... but I'm withholding judgement for a while because this roster was/is a frickin mess
Yeah, I’m with ya. My hope is that Poles uses draft picks wisely and that the organization just presents something resembling a plan going forward. Show an offense that utilizes Fields in a positive manner, even though the weapons around him right now are really bad. But man, I hope there’s SOMETHING done about the OL. Even if it’s stopgaps, just do something there to get the line into top…20? territory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT