ADVERTISEMENT

A reporter went to cover an execution. She was told her skirt was too short.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
e8978790-113f-11ed-ab96-3cabbe9777f0

When Ivana Hrynkiw got dressed for work on Thursday, she selected a skirt she’d worn to report on several other executions.
But when the Alabama journalist arrived at the William C. Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, a prison official told her she couldn’t watch convicted murderer Joe Nathan James Jr.’s lethal injection — her skirt was too short and violated the prison’s dress code, the AL.com reporter and managing producer wrote in a statement she posted online.

Hrynkiw was confused. She’d worn that exact skirt to several of the half-dozen executions she’d reported on, all without a problem. Still, Hrynkiw pulled the skirt down to comply with the dress code. It was not good enough, an official told her.

“This was an uncomfortable situation,” Hrynkiw wrote in her post, “and I felt embarrassed to have my body and my clothes questioned in front of a room of people I mostly had never met.”

With no change of clothes and a reporting assignment at hand, Hrynkiw accepted a photographer’s offer to let her wear his rain gear — waterproof fisherman’s waders. The prison official approved that outfit.
But Hrynkiw’s wardrobe problems weren’t over. After she put on the man’s waders, strapping on the suspenders under her shirt, she was told that her open-toed heels were “too revealing.” Hrynkiw retreated to her car, where she’d stowed a new pair of tennis shoes.

“Despite wearing a pair of waders from a man I have never met and casual tennis shoes, I continued to do my job,” Hrynkiw wrote, adding, “I sat down, tried to stop blushing, and did my work.
“As women often have to do.”
The state said an execution happened ‘without complication.’ Reporters in the room had a different story.
Hrynkiw, who did not immediately reply to a request for comment, wrote that she believes her skirt was appropriate. Her boss — Kelly Ann Scott, editor in chief and vice president of content for Alabama Media Group — said what happened to Hrynkiw was “wrong.” AL.com filed a formal complaint with the Alabama Department of Corrections. The Associated Press, whose reporter was also subject to the newly enforced dress code, sent a letter to Gov. Kay Ivey (R) urging her to “ensure such behavior is not tolerated and does not occur again.”

“Ivana is always, always professional — and despite how she was treated, she focused first on covering an execution,” Scott tweeted. She also told AL.com that the incident was “sexist and an egregious breach of professional conduct” that “should not happen to any other reporter again.”
In a July 29 letter that the AP sent to The Washington Post, Executive Editor Julie Pace said that singling out “female reporters for arbitrary clothing inspections is humiliating, discriminatory and simply unacceptable behavior toward professional journalists trying to cover one of the most serious events they are called upon to witness.”
Siblings didn’t want mother’s killer executed. It happened anyway.
The Alabama Department of Corrections did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Post early Monday. But AL.com reported that prison officials have not enforced a dress code in the previous decade that Hrynkiw and other reporters have covered executions. The prison official who confronted Hrynkiw about her skirt, corrections spokeswoman Kelly Betts, told reporters that the new warden at the Holman prison, Terry Raybon, had decided to invoke the dress code policy, which had long been dormant.

Kim Chandler’s clothing was also scrutinized when she got to the Holman prison on Thursday night to cover the execution for the AP. Chandler said she first reported on an execution in 2002 and has “covered many” in the 20 years since. “This was the first time I had to stand in the media room to have the length of my attire checked,” she wrote on Twitter.
After news of Hrynkiw’s wardrobe woes got out, Betts called her to apologize for the sudden enforcement of the dress code and for embarrassing Hrynkiw, according to AL.com. She then released a statement saying that the department would send out reminders about the dress code to journalists covering future events at corrections facilities.
“We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this regulation may have caused,” the statement said, AL.com reported. “We hope by including it in future media advisories, we can avoid this kind of situation.”
A women’s handball team wore shorts instead of skimpy bikini-bottom uniforms. The league fined them over $1,700.
Gender-specific dress codes have come under fire in recent years. An uproar ensued after a Norwegian beach handball team defied its sport’s governing body by wearing form-fitting athletic shorts instead of the mandated bikini bottoms — and got slapped with a 1,500-euro fine as a result, The Post reported. Students and parents accused a school district in North Texas of unfairly targeting girls after officials said they were implementing a new dress code to improve students’ “future workforce skills,” one that banned dresses, skirts and hoodies, according to The Post. And for the past seven years, a North Carolina school district tried to make its students wear gender-specific uniforms — for girls that meant skirts, skorts or jumpers — until a federal appeals court earlier this year ruled the dress code unconstitutional, noting in its opinion that it was “difficult to imagine a clearer example of a rationale based on impermissible gender stereotypes,” The Post reported.

Hrynkiw, who had been covering the lead-up to the execution, kept reporting throughout the night. About three hours after she and other reporters were bused from the media center to the prison, Hrynkiw broke the news that James had been executed.
Chandler, the AP reporter who passed the dress-code inspection, later praised her colleague’s reporting.
“Hrynkiw is [an] admirable and professional journalist,” Chandler wrote in a tweet, “even in waders.”

Here's a crazy ****ing concept.

Dress like a professional while working and not like you are going to a Kenny Chesney concert.

I would agree that her outfit in the photo doesn't look at all professional but at the same time it's a little off that the state prison enforces a dress code on reporters coming to cover an execution. Such a code can be open to selective enforcement to prevent reporters who the prison feels might be unfriendly towards them from coming in and reporting.

That said in terms of schools I think all schools should have uniforms. This is hardly something that is uncommon overseas and it eliminates most of the problems with dress code issues.

e8978790-113f-11ed-ab96-3cabbe9777f0

When Ivana Hrynkiw got dressed for work on Thursday, she selected a skirt she’d worn to report on several other executions.
But when the Alabama journalist arrived at the William C. Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, a prison official told her she couldn’t watch convicted murderer Joe Nathan James Jr.’s lethal injection — her skirt was too short and violated the prison’s dress code, the AL.com reporter and managing producer wrote in a statement she posted online.

Hrynkiw was confused. She’d worn that exact skirt to several of the half-dozen executions she’d reported on, all without a problem. Still, Hrynkiw pulled the skirt down to comply with the dress code. It was not good enough, an official told her.

“This was an uncomfortable situation,” Hrynkiw wrote in her post, “and I felt embarrassed to have my body and my clothes questioned in front of a room of people I mostly had never met.”

With no change of clothes and a reporting assignment at hand, Hrynkiw accepted a photographer’s offer to let her wear his rain gear — waterproof fisherman’s waders. The prison official approved that outfit.
But Hrynkiw’s wardrobe problems weren’t over. After she put on the man’s waders, strapping on the suspenders under her shirt, she was told that her open-toed heels were “too revealing.” Hrynkiw retreated to her car, where she’d stowed a new pair of tennis shoes.

“Despite wearing a pair of waders from a man I have never met and casual tennis shoes, I continued to do my job,” Hrynkiw wrote, adding, “I sat down, tried to stop blushing, and did my work.
“As women often have to do.”
The state said an execution happened ‘without complication.’ Reporters in the room had a different story.
Hrynkiw, who did not immediately reply to a request for comment, wrote that she believes her skirt was appropriate. Her boss — Kelly Ann Scott, editor in chief and vice president of content for Alabama Media Group — said what happened to Hrynkiw was “wrong.” AL.com filed a formal complaint with the Alabama Department of Corrections. The Associated Press, whose reporter was also subject to the newly enforced dress code, sent a letter to Gov. Kay Ivey (R) urging her to “ensure such behavior is not tolerated and does not occur again.”

“Ivana is always, always professional — and despite how she was treated, she focused first on covering an execution,” Scott tweeted. She also told AL.com that the incident was “sexist and an egregious breach of professional conduct” that “should not happen to any other reporter again.”
In a July 29 letter that the AP sent to The Washington Post, Executive Editor Julie Pace said that singling out “female reporters for arbitrary clothing inspections is humiliating, discriminatory and simply unacceptable behavior toward professional journalists trying to cover one of the most serious events they are called upon to witness.”
Siblings didn’t want mother’s killer executed. It happened anyway.
The Alabama Department of Corrections did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Post early Monday. But AL.com reported that prison officials have not enforced a dress code in the previous decade that Hrynkiw and other reporters have covered executions. The prison official who confronted Hrynkiw about her skirt, corrections spokeswoman Kelly Betts, told reporters that the new warden at the Holman prison, Terry Raybon, had decided to invoke the dress code policy, which had long been dormant.

Kim Chandler’s clothing was also scrutinized when she got to the Holman prison on Thursday night to cover the execution for the AP. Chandler said she first reported on an execution in 2002 and has “covered many” in the 20 years since. “This was the first time I had to stand in the media room to have the length of my attire checked,” she wrote on Twitter.
After news of Hrynkiw’s wardrobe woes got out, Betts called her to apologize for the sudden enforcement of the dress code and for embarrassing Hrynkiw, according to AL.com. She then released a statement saying that the department would send out reminders about the dress code to journalists covering future events at corrections facilities.
“We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this regulation may have caused,” the statement said, AL.com reported. “We hope by including it in future media advisories, we can avoid this kind of situation.”
A women’s handball team wore shorts instead of skimpy bikini-bottom uniforms. The league fined them over $1,700.
Gender-specific dress codes have come under fire in recent years. An uproar ensued after a Norwegian beach handball team defied its sport’s governing body by wearing form-fitting athletic shorts instead of the mandated bikini bottoms — and got slapped with a 1,500-euro fine as a result, The Post reported. Students and parents accused a school district in North Texas of unfairly targeting girls after officials said they were implementing a new dress code to improve students’ “future workforce skills,” one that banned dresses, skirts and hoodies, according to The Post. And for the past seven years, a North Carolina school district tried to make its students wear gender-specific uniforms — for girls that meant skirts, skorts or jumpers — until a federal appeals court earlier this year ruled the dress code unconstitutional, noting in its opinion that it was “difficult to imagine a clearer example of a rationale based on impermissible gender stereotypes,” The Post reported.

Hrynkiw, who had been covering the lead-up to the execution, kept reporting throughout the night. About three hours after she and other reporters were bused from the media center to the prison, Hrynkiw broke the news that James had been executed.
Chandler, the AP reporter who passed the dress-code inspection, later praised her colleague’s reporting.
“Hrynkiw is [an] admirable and professional journalist,” Chandler wrote in a tweet, “even in waders.”

I could see a problem if it were lethal injection. Could complicate things with blood suddenly rushing to the lower body.

I would agree that her outfit in the photo doesn't look at all professional but at the same time it's a little off that the state prison enforces a dress code on reporters coming to cover an execution. Such a code can be open to selective enforcement to prevent reporters who the prison feels might be unfriendly towards them from coming in and reporting.

That said in terms of schools I think all schools should have uniforms. This is hardly something that is uncommon overseas and it eliminates most of the problems with dress code issues.
I see a phoito with denim shorts, not a skirt. Where is a photo with the skirt she wore?

Here's a crazy ****ing concept.

Dress like a professional while working and not like you are going to a Kenny Chesney concert.

Agreed but that’s a separate topic. Dressing professionally is seeming an alien concept to many today, especially after working from home for two years.

I don’t totally get why prisons have a dress code for visitors tho either.

Agreed but that’s a separate topic. Dressing professionally is seeming an alien concept to many today, especially after working from home for two years.

I don’t totally get why prisons have a dress code for visitors tho either.
I understand why prisons would have a uniform criteria for what guest can wear. This case is a perfect example.of why, we don't want to have to deal with individual issues, here is our uniform policy that all must adhere to.

Wait a second the left is what she wore??

Someone either wanted to find a reason to personally exclude her or the warden is getting high on his new found authority.

There is no way that skirt is too short.
If that’s the skirt, then I agree, that’s well in-range for professional attire - it’s not super tight and neither is her top. Maybe that’s not the skirt, but I can’t see excluding someone for their skirt being “too short” if it’s below the knee.

Wait a second the left is what she wore??

Someone either wanted to find a reason to personally exclude her or the warden is getting high on his new found authority.

There is no way that skirt is too short.

If that's the skirt, you're right........... but I'd be really surprised if that's really the skirt in question.

If that's the skirt, you're right........... but I'd be really surprised if that's really the skirt in question.

You may be right I am having trouble finding any picture of the garment in question.

Daily Mail however is showing this image saying it's the rules for visitors to Alabama prisons. I am guessing #11 was applied.

60842889-11062013-image-a-3_1659106489635.jpg

Demanding the skirts fall below the knee is considered pretty stringent today.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I understand why prisons would have a uniform criteria for what guest can wear. This case is a perfect example.of why, we don't want to have to deal with individual issues, here is our uniform policy that all must adhere to.

The key then becomes that it’s enforced consistently and fairly. If it’s true she’s worn that skirt before, then the question becomes what changed?

As someone else alluded to, I could easily see this as an opportunity to exclude a reporter from the execution if they were trying to avoid negative coverage.

You may be right I am having trouble finding any picture of the garment in question.

Daily Mail however is showing this image saying it's the rules for visitors to Alabama prisons. I am guessing #11 was applied.

Heck for some, a skirt that doesn’t show a butt cheek is conservative attire!

Reactions: joelbc1
The key then becomes that it’s enforced consistently and fairly. If it’s true she’s worn that skirt before, then the question becomes what changed?

As someone else alluded to, I could easily see this as an opportunity to exclude a reporter from the execution if they were trying to avoid negative coverage.

My understanding from the article is a new warden came in and wanted the policy enforced while previous wardens didn't necessarily enforce the policy.

Reactions: UKGrad93
This article shows the actual skirt. I couldn't get the photos to appear here

I don't see it but I did notice that she described it

"Shatara told The Post that the item was an A-line, black skirt from the brand Philosophy. The skirt was about 1.5 inches above the knee."

That's extremely strict for the modern day and I personally think that when you are talking about reporters going into a situation you don't want to be too strict on something like that so as to not give the impression that you are keeping a reporter out because you feel they will be critical of you.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I don't see it but I did notice that she described it

"Shatara told The Post that the item was an A-line, black skirt from the brand Philosophy. The skirt was about 1.5 inches above the knee."

That's extremely strict for the modern day and I personally think that when you are talking about reporters going into a situation you don't want to be too strict on something like that so as to not give the impression that you are keeping a reporter out because you feel they will be critical of you.
That situation the reporter is going into, is a jailhouse.

That situation the reporter is going into, is a jailhouse.

She's not going to be walking through Gen Pop to get to the death chamber. Most likely no inmates actually see her. Even the person to be executed I think won't see her because don't they darken the witness booth and use 1 way glass so that the witnesses can't be seen from the death chamber?

My understanding from the article is a new warden came in and wanted the policy enforced while previous wardens didn't necessarily enforce the policy.
If that’s the case they should have reminded everyone ahead of time.

1. Wood.

2. I see why that wasn't allowed in a Jail.

3. Consistency is key, had they allowed that in before? Were the rules just changed?

If that’s what she wore, I don’t have a huge issue with that.

Maybe prisoners jacking off and squirting all over tends to drive the policy to the more conservative spectrum.

I doubt they have different dress codes for different types of visitors.

This article shows the actual skirt. I couldn't get the photos to appear here

I don’t think it does. There are 2 pics of her. The first “main” pic shows her in something short and black, but if you look close, there’s a rolled cuff and it wraps around each leg, meaning it’s not a skirt. There’s also an instagram shot of her face and shoulders, so even if that’s the outfit she wore to the prison, it doesn’t show how long the skirt is.

I forgot dress code and wore shorts when visiting a friend in prison. They would not let me in. So I went to Walmart and bought a cheap pair of joggers and got right in. Rules are rules even when they appear stupid.

Reactions: UKGrad93
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT