ADVERTISEMENT

A School Reopens, and the Coronavirus Creeps In

So should you.
anigif_original-20770-1447715366-20.gif

I remember when suggesting that 100k or 200k would die from this disease was over the top reporting.
Exactly. The same people that were wrong about that are wrong about this...but here they go again.

I’m leery of 100% in person. IMO, someone will catch the COVID and die. Either a student or a teacher. I’m also very concerned about 100% online schooling as there are too many poor and underprivileged children and families where this type of system simply will not work.

If I was in charge...I’d go hybrid. High School students would be 4 days per week at home. 1 day per week, the teacher would be available for the students to come in and have one on one time with the teachers. You could stagger this throughout the week. Teachers would work from the school each day. Attendance for the online classes would be mandatory. For elementary students, that’s the tough one. You’d have to find a way to maximize space at the school. Cafeterias, gyms, auditoriums would have to be used. But I think I’d highly recommend elementary to be 100% in person. However, I’d be open to at home learning for students, where there is at least 1 non-working parent at home. In both cases, anyone stepping foot in the school is required to wear a mask.

Positive cases. The student or teacher would be sent home and instructed to quarantine until he or she was able to produce a negative test. One thing I don’t know though is, how many qualified subs are there out there to fill in when a teacher, or multiple teachers test positive. I would suggest employing a spare teacher or two for the year to be on standby.

Yes, there would be a situation where I would consider discontinuing in person schooling. If an outbreak occurs and there is a substantial loss off teachers due to quarantine, you’d have to have a plan in place. I’m very afraid of the financial stress that may put on a parent who would then have to quit their job, or figure out some way to make sure that child is safe, has supervision, and can learn from home.

Admittedly, I don’t have all the answers. My wife (no pic) are currently fighting about whether or not to send my 20 yo with special needs to Vodec this Fall. Vodec provides life-enriching services to persons with disabilities, including day programs, employment training and residential options. My son, Cole, attended his first year there last year. It was cut short in March. At that time, both my wife and I were able to work from home. Since that time, he’s been attending online for about an hour or two per day. It’s nowhere close to being the same experience for him. In three weeks, my wife returns to the schools. She’s an SLP assistant and will work in 3 different schools this school year. Luckily, I am able to work from home. My wife is 100% for him returning to Vodec. I am 100% for hi staying home with me. Why risk it? If he were to catch COVID and die, how could we live with this decision when we didn’t HAVE to send him?

BTW, I am one of those who would have supported a total, draconian style, lockdown back in March to contain this virus. It would have sucked, but the half assed shutdown we did only delayed the inevitable. Note that many countries that were being championed for being so successful against the virus are now seeing a surge.
And most of this seems pretty reasonable. There you go.

There is already a sub shortage. Many are older. This is going to be a huge problem this year and I don't know what districts are going to do to deal when teachers have to stay home if they test positive. I'm guessing that specials teachers will have to give up our time to go into classrooms to cover.

Reactions: anon_hbzlwoj8x6pk4
Can you quote the deaths for under 20 flu vs covid ?

as of June they were 34 vs 192 for the flu thus a roughly 7 times higher mortality rate for influenza for young people

you just don’t want to go back to work

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
Influenza is seven times more deadly for those under 20 years of age than Covid

This is nonsense
Have you seen how much social distancing has dropped flu stats? You can't compare the flu to covid yet, not til you compare a social distanced flu season to it....

Keep guessing though.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Can you reply to a post without cursing ?

I know you can’t challenge the facts and that really puts you in a bad spot
What can I say, idiots like you just bring out the **** you in me :)

You mean facts like kids can spread covid to people of any age. I guess that's just a myth right? Lmao

You would think so, but am I dealing with a substantial amount of teachers in my district who would much rather post a slide deck with voice-over and some YouTube videos on Monday as their “lecture” and then post daily assignments with no virtual interaction. That’s easiest for them.
Ummm....if that's even allowed it's a failure that falls on your district's admin. We'll be holding synchronous instruction with every class every day. Mandated. Each will be recorded for students who miss it. Mandated. We'll have virtual office hours every day to deal with student issues. Mandated.

We've spent the last three weeks - for the princely sum of $150 - learning how to use a new LMS so content can be delivered in a common format across the board. I'm modifying all my content for remote instruction - something I couldn't do until a few weeks ago because 1) I didn't have access to the LMS and 2) I literally had no idea where I would be or what I would be teaching. We're learning how to use a proprietary version of Zoom that will be closed to outside access so we can have face-to-face interaction with every student...every day.

That was if we didn't shutdown and just allow the virus to run it's course.
Yep, we took precautions, just like we'll do with school. But the alarmists are right back to we're all gonna die mode. "Teachers, update your wills and write your own eulogies!"

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
If I was in charge...I’d go hybrid. High School students would be 4 days per week at home. 1 day per week, the teacher would be available for the students to come in and have one on one time with the teachers. You could stagger this throughout the week. Teachers would work from the school each day. Attendance for the online classes would be mandatory. For elementary students, that’s the tough one. You’d have to find a way to maximize space at the school. Cafeterias, gyms, auditoriums would have to be used. But I think I’d highly recommend elementary to be 100% in person. However, I’d be open to at home learning for students, where there is at least 1 non-working parent at home. In both cases, anyone stepping foot in the school is required to wear a mask.

Positive cases. The student or teacher would be sent home and instructed to quarantine until he or she was able to produce a negative test. One thing I don’t know though is, how many qualified subs are there out there to fill in when a teacher, or multiple teachers test positive. I would suggest employing a spare teacher or two for the year to be on standby.

Yes, there would be a situation where I would consider discontinuing in person schooling. If an outbreak occurs and there is a substantial loss off teachers due to quarantine, you’d have to have a plan in place. I’m very afraid of the financial stress that may put on a parent who would then have to quit their job, or figure out some way to make sure that child is safe, has supervision, and can learn from home.
All very reasonable. The devil, as they say, is in the details. As I've posted here several times, my district set up a plan utilizing the first CDC guidelines and ran the numbers. Running the buses with distancing in the morning would have required five hours since the buses would be required to make multiple runs.Hiring the teachers needed for elementary schools to reduce class sizes to allow for distancing would have been prohibitive. The number for our district was an additional $45 million dollars.

They retooled to a plan that would have split elementary kids between their home schools and middle schools and been at school full time. Middle school students would have been split between their home schools and high schools and gone to school four days a week. High schoolers would go online four days a week with one day to come in and meet with their teachers. No more magnet schools. No more schools of choice. Our schools would have massively resegregated. And the price tag for that was an additional $17 million. One district out of 115 in the state.

Ummm....if that's even allowed it's a failure that falls on your district's admin.

Ummm...where did I say that was going to be allowed? I had one of my first superintendents say in a discussion meeting, “I would be happy to discuss this, but if you want to be treated like a professional, act like a professional”. We have a small subset of our “professional” teachers actively working against what is best for kids.

We'll be holding synchronous instruction with every class every day. Mandated. Each will be recorded for students who miss it. Mandated. We'll have virtual office hours every day to deal with student issues. Mandated.

This isn’t ground breaking as we are requiring similar things and actually hired a number of virtual teachers to focus in on our larger cohorts.

Good to see DSM Superintendent giving Covid Kim the Middle Finger. We are opting for remote learning waiver that our district offers. Curriculum through the school.

I’m leery of 100% in person. IMO, someone will catch the COVID and die. Either a student or a teacher. I’m also very concerned about 100% online schooling as there are too many poor and underprivileged children and families where this type of system simply will not work.

Admittedly, I don’t have all the answers. My wife (no pic) are currently fighting about whether or not to send my 20 yo with special needs to Vodec this Fall. Vodec provides life-enriching services to persons with disabilities, including day programs, employment training and residential options. My son, Cole, attended his first year there last year. It was cut short in March. At that time, both my wife and I were able to work from home. Since that time, he’s been attending online for about an hour or two per day. It’s nowhere close to being the same experience for him. In three weeks, my wife returns to the schools. She’s an SLP assistant and will work in 3 different schools this school year. Luckily, I am able to work from home. My wife is 100% for him returning to Vodec. I am 100% for hi staying home with me. Why risk it? If he were to catch COVID and die, how could we live with this decision when we didn’t HAVE to send him?

BTW, I am one of those who would have supported a total, draconian style, lockdown back in March to contain this virus. It would have sucked, but the half assed shutdown we did only delayed the inevitable. Note that many countries that were being championed for being so successful against the virus are now seeing a surge.

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Reactions: dgordo
The Governor of Pennsylvania has mandated that
public schools this September will be online and
not in person. His state still has rising rates of
positive tests for Covid19.

He didn't want Kim to be all alone at the bottom of the rankings

Ummm...where did I say that was going to be allowed?
Well, you kind of did.

You would think so, but am I dealing with a substantial amount of teachers in my district who would much rather post a slide deck with voice-over and some YouTube videos on Monday as their “lecture” and then post daily assignments with no virtual interaction. That’s easiest for them.

If it's not allowed, only their administrator has to deal with it and it would be a pretty short conversation. No. And I did qualify my post: "if that's even allowed..."

Well fortunately we live in a free society that has a massive public health infrastructure with the legal authority to mandate quarantines and other measures to protect the health of society at large. If you don’t like that fact you can always pull up your tent stakes and move elsewhere or attempt to change that authority. Good luck on both fronts.
Yet we have millions of people who have lost their insurance in the last 6 months...

You should isolate yourself from this board.
IGNORE feature not working for you?

Well fortunately we live in a free society that has a massive public health infrastructure with the legal authority to mandate quarantines and other measures to protect the health of society at large. If you don’t like that fact you can always pull up your tent stakes and move elsewhere or attempt to change that authority. Good luck on both fronts.
The ‘we live in a free society’ portion of your statement was completely contradicted by the rest of what you had to say: do you even read what you write?

We live under a rapidly growing medical tyranny that in no way, shape or form constitutes a ‘free’ society. Sucks to be us, I guess.

And most of this seems pretty reasonable. There you go.

There is already a sub shortage. Many are older. This is going to be a huge problem this year and I don't know what districts are going to do to deal when teachers have to stay home if they test positive. I'm guessing that specials teachers will have to give up our time to go into classrooms to cover.

If you were in charge, what would you do?

So far we have
Lockdown - People got COVID-19
Reopened - People got COVID-19
Closed Schools - People got COVID-19
Reopened Schools - People got COVID-19
Canceled Sports - People got COVID-19
Playing Sports - People got COVID-19
President Trump - People got COVID-19
Biden as President - People get COVID-19
North America- People got COVID-19
South America- People got COVID-19
Africa - People got COVID-19
Asia - People got COVID-19
Europe - People got COVID-19
Australia - People got COVID-19
Wearing masks - People got COVID-19
Not Wearing masks - People got COVID-19
Full PPE - People got COVID-19
No PPE - People got COVID-19
Red States - People got COVID-19
Blue States - People got COVID-19

If you were in charge, what would you do?
Honestly, similar to what you said. I would instead of a 50-50 hybrid, I would have had a quarter of the students come in every day - A,B,C,D groups, for the first quarter. Then gone to 50-50 for second quarter and see where we are at after each quarter. This needs to be baby stepped. I think what we are doing is going to blow up just like the reopening did and we will be in a bigger mess than we already are nationally. Very little doubt in my mind. There will be some kids who will die because of this. Some staff will die because of this.

For the subs, I really don't know how to fix the problems of a sub shortage other than to make the job more desirable. To me, that goes all back to fixing the lack of discipline in too many of our schools. If we were short subs last year at times, we most definitely will be during Covid.

So far we have
Lockdown - People got COVID-19
Reopened - People got COVID-19
Closed Schools - People got COVID-19
Reopened Schools - People got COVID-19
Canceled Sports - People got COVID-19
Playing Sports - People got COVID-19
President Trump - People got COVID-19
Biden as President - People get COVID-19
North America- People got COVID-19
South America- People got COVID-19
Africa - People got COVID-19
Asia - People got COVID-19
Europe - People got COVID-19
Australia - People got COVID-19
Wearing masks - People got COVID-19
Not Wearing masks - People got COVID-19
Full PPE - People got COVID-19
No PPE - People got COVID-19
Red States - People got COVID-19
Blue States - People got COVID-19
Simple response from a simpleton.

Honestly, similar to what you said. I would instead of a 50-50 hybrid, I would have had a quarter of the students come in every day - A,B,C,D groups, for the first quarter. Then gone to 50-50 for second quarter and see where we are at after each quarter. This needs to be baby stepped. I think what we are doing is going to blow up just like the reopening did and we will be in a bigger mess than we already are nationally. Very little doubt in my mind. There will be some kids who will die because of this. Some staff will die because of this.

For the subs, I really don't know how to fix the problems of a sub shortage other than to make the job more desirable. To me, that goes all back to fixing the lack of discipline in too many of our schools. If we were short subs last year at times, we most definitely will be during Covid.
The reason I'm choosing not to sub this year is the possibility of catching the virus and giving it to my loved ones. For me making the job more desirable would not make a difference this year, I suppose it might work for others.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The reason I'm choosing not to sub this year is the possibility of catching the virus and giving it to my loved ones. For me making the job more desirable would not make a difference this year, I suppose it might work for others.
Yep. Most of the subs who routinely work in our building are in their 60s. They aren't going to be subbing.

I saw my schedule last night and "safety and security" is now added to my day because my classes have been shortened so classroom teachers can get all the "more important" learning done. Lol or Smh...not sure which to do.

Yep. Most of the subs who routinely work in our building are in their 60s. They aren't going to be subbing.

I saw my schedule last night and "safety and security" is now added to my day because my classes have been shortened so classroom teachers can get all the "more important" learning done. Lol or Smh...not sure which to do.
Well I won't officially be in my 60s until later this month, but other family members that I interact with daily are much older. I just don't think it's worth taking a chance even though I will miss interacting with the kids and former coworkers.

How would parents handle the days when the younger children are home? Would the kids be required to have online classes those days? Or would they have those days off and then be able to go to daycare? I’m not trying to poke holes, but this is my biggest challenge with younger kids having to be home and not in school, even at 50%.

How would parents handle the days when the younger children are home? Would the kids be required to have online classes those days? Or would they have those days off and then be able to go to daycare? I’m not trying to poke holes, but this is my biggest challenge with younger kids having to be home and not in school, even at 50%.
I don't think the kids will be required to be online learning on the days off, but there could and should be things like Lexia and ST Math that they could work on at home in the evenings...or if possible at Daycare. Basically, they won't be required to join into a live lesson during the day. I think there will also be times where they will be able to go to a district "1st Grade Classroom" to get content for that particular day or week to work on when they aren't on site." Teachers will have a recorded lesson.

I think in our district teachers will be recording/creating lessons each week,rotating by school, that will go out to kids from every other school, if that makes sense. One week, Washington will have created the lesson. Next week Jefferson. Next week Adams. Kids from ALL schools will have access to these, from the way I understand it.

Ummm....if that's even allowed it's a failure that falls on your district's admin. We'll be holding synchronous instruction with every class every day. Mandated. Each will be recorded for students who miss it. Mandated. We'll have virtual office hours every day to deal with student issues. Mandated.

We've spent the last three weeks - for the princely sum of $150 - learning how to use a new LMS so content can be delivered in a common format across the board. I'm modifying all my content for remote instruction - something I couldn't do until a few weeks ago because 1) I didn't have access to the LMS and 2) I literally had no idea where I would be or what I would be teaching. We're learning how to use a proprietary version of Zoom that will be closed to outside access so we can have face-to-face interaction with every student...every day.

Jesus. I don't even know which classes I'll have on which date or how many kids to expect in person and online. Hopefully the three days of in-service we have before classes start is enough to figure everything out haha.

Not much direction or instruction here yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT