ADVERTISEMENT

A Special Week in the Republican Outreach to Women

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
  • The past week has been something extra-special in terms of Republican outreach to women.
    Bernie Moreno, the party’s pick for Senate in Ohio, kicked us off last Friday whining about many women being “single-issue voters” on reproductive rights. “It’s a little crazy, by the way — especially for women that are like past 50,” he said. “I’m thinking to myself: I don’t think that’s an issue for you.”
    So … If you cannot personally get pregnant, you shouldn’t really care about this issue?
    I’ll give Moreno three guesses as to what I’m thinking to myself.
  • Representative Anthony D’Esposito, a freshman Republican from Long Island, deserves a shout-out for his creativity in striving to balance his work and personal life. Shortly after being sworn in last year, the congressman hired the daughter of his longtime fiancée to work in his district office. A few months later, in April, he gave a gig in that same office to a woman he was having an affair with.
    Got to be fair, am I right?
  • Not to be outdone by the Trump-Vance campaign’s calumny of Haitian immigrants, on Wednesday, House member Clay Higgins effectively yelled “Hold my beer!”
    “Lol. These Haitians are wild,” Higgins, a Republican from Louisiana, posted on X. “Eating pets, vudu, nastiest country in the Western Hemisphere, cults, slapstick gangsters … but damned if they don’t feel all sophisticated now, filing charges against our President and VP.
    “All these thugs better get their mind right and their ass out of our country before January 20th.”
    Higgins deleted this bit of cultural commentary after being confronted by the head of the Congressional Black Caucus. But as Speaker Mike Johnson explained it, Higgins had also “prayed about it.”
    Not to be presumptuous, but it doesn’t seem as though Jesus is the higher power from whom Higgins — a former supporter of David Duke — takes his cues on race relations.
  • What is there left to say about Eric Adams? New York’s mayor has been indicted, we learned this week, on charges of bribery, wire fraud, conspiracy and “solicitation of a contribution by a foreign national.”
    Adams, a Democrat, responded by suggesting he was being politically persecuted, apparently for having clashed with the Biden administration over immigration policy.
    “I expected this. This is not surprising to us at all … This did not surprise us that we reached this day,” he asserted in a Thursday news conference.
    Another sketchy political leader claiming to be the victim of a witch hunt? Certainly there is nothing surprising about that.
  • Doug Diny, the mayor of Wausau, Wis., was grumpy about the city clerk’s decision to have a drop box for absentee ballots installed outside of City Hall. Diny, a Republican who ran for election on his opposition to drop boxes, suspected this one in particular was ripe for meddling. So he donned a hard hat, grabbed a dolly and wheeled the box, which had not yet been bolted down, into his office — posing for pictures of his escapade, of course.
    Someone needs attention.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT