ADVERTISEMENT

A thought on offensive strategy ...

ghostOfHomer777

HB Heisman
May 20, 2014
... Almost forgot, Richman's Dad was on my flight, said the offense is holding stuff back, no need to show everything in the previous games, thought that was interesting.

I wonder what plays they have been hiding?

Maybe a pass from Goodson out of the Wildcat? Or at least a hand-off to AB IV out of the Wildcat?

Richman’s son better be ready for a next level of pass rush. (As will the rest of his OL mates).

Interesting food for thought ... in Iowa's games against our perceived toughest opponents thus far, all the turnovers have afforded the Hawks the opportunity to mostly only show what they WANT to show.

The misdirection, back-side TE screen has long been in our playbook ... but how we set it up against Maryland was pretty perfect. Too bad the Maryland DT was smart enough to hold LaPorta in order to prevent the TD.

Really good set-up (given what the D was showing) for the pass in the flat to IKM toward the end of the game ... that series only ended in a FG ... but the calls did a pretty good job of setting things up. Sometimes the D just makes a really impressive play ... definite cred to the Maryland defender for making that play in space. If IKM doesn't get tackled there ... he's likely walking into the end-zone.

Brian has been obviously showing a good bit as it relates to setting things up with our red-zone O ... because we HAVE been making a concerted effort to cash the turnovers in for TDs and not just FGs. So far, the results in that regard have been decent.

However, apart from that ... the Hawk O was able to mostly go into "turtle-mode" against IU and ISU in the second half ... just to protect the lead. Against Maryland, while the announcers were talking about how "aggressive" Iowa was being ... it looked more to me that Brian was trying to force the Maryland D to change coverage. Maryland kept on stacking the box and playing man coverage ... so the Hawks kept on going after the man-coverage match-ups that they felt they could exploit. Honestly, I believe that had Maryland sat back more in a zone ... and didn't dedicate so many hats to run D ... Brian probably would have happily switched our focus more to the run game. However, man-coverage is part of the defensive philosophy of Maryland ... so they left us no choice but to go after it.

Anyhow, it seems pretty straight-forward that the Hawks haven't been forced to show all their cards through the first 5 games. Against IU, ISU, and Maryland all the turnovers afforded us to stick to more of a base game-plan based upon what the D was giving us (and based upon what we could execute ... given our blocking ... or lack thereof). Against Kent State and Colorado State ... those game were mostly self-scouting games where we were largely focused upon fundamentals and execution.

When looking into the "game within the game" ... Brian has shown a number of things so far this season ... and I'm willing to bet that most of those "reveals" were wholly intentional. The idea being to get the opposition to prepare for certain things - only for the O to exploit them if we see certain things from their D.

For instance, the very fact that we did the fake WR-screen ... and then caught LaPorta in the seam for the TD ... opposing Ds are going to be extra-careful against Iowa for the rest of the season because of that. Consequently, I'm willing to bet that we see the WR-screen with increasing frequency as a result. Similarly, if the D cheats ... we might see extra wrinkles [like the TE down the seam] to "catch" them.

One thing that is worth noting is that Lachey has mostly been playing the role of the in-line TE. Based on the opponent, match-ups, and how the D defends us ... I could see the Hawks exploit this. Lachey has been doing some good work for us blocking ... so I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks try to "sneak" him out as he releases from the line-of-scrimmage ... and catch the D sleeping.

bf worked like a dog to set up a big strike only for you to spill the beans in just one post.
:)
LOL! Good defensive coordinators know that Brian is holding things back too ... part of their jobs is to anticipate what some of those things are. Similarly, part of their job is to show different things of their own ... so that they might try to dictate things to the O.

Of course, that is part of the reason why the Hawks use TEs and why Brian has been playing all the personnel games with our FB and TEs. It allows us to be multiple with the same personnel ... and adjust what gets used with that personnel based on what personnel the D uses. A big part of what Iowa does is premised on trying to dictate personnel choices to the D ... and then cashing in on match-ups that we like.

Reactions: hawk263344
Pottebaum pass to Petras down the sideline is still in their back pocket awaiting the right situation.
Been waiting for them to unleash this. All we heard during camp was about how Monte's got beautiful deep ball and Spencer's ability to stretch the field on the outside.

Homer sez:

However, apart from that ... the Hawk O was able to mostly go into "turtle-mode" against IU and ISU in the second half ... just to protect the lead. Against Maryland, while the announcers were talking about how "aggressive" Iowa was being ... it looked more to me that Brian was trying to force the Maryland D to change coverage. Maryland kept on stacking the box and playing man coverage ... so the Hawks kept on going after the man-coverage match-ups that they felt they could exploit. Honestly, I believe that had Maryland sat back more in a zone ... and didn't dedicate so many hats to run D ... Brian probably would have happily switched our focus more to the run game. However, man-coverage is part of the defensive philosophy of Maryland ... so they left us no choice but to go after it.

I think PSU will likely stack the box as well; I hope the Hawks use play action passes to set up the run game early.

Also please defer to the 2nd half if you win the coin toss this week KF.

When an offense shows that it can run the ball effectively on the inside as well as outside the tackles on both sides, as well as throw to all three levels, with multiple running backs, receivers and tight ends, out of multiple personnel and alignment packages, it makes it incredibly difficult to scheme anything as a defense.

This is why people need to not get so excited or intimidated by a defense when it shows out against a flawed offense. When a flaw is detected, it allows a defensive coordinator a lot of advantages. The only flaw that I see with Iowa's offense, if you want to call it a flaw, is that the QB will not beat you with his legs.

However, both backs can run between the tackles as well as outside the tackles. While Goodson is more of a threat to take it to the house, IKM can certainly rip off a 15-20 yarder as well. And, equally important, both backs are skilled in the passing game by both blitz pickup as well as catching out of the backfield. There is no indication that when one is in the game vs. the other that there will be a run or a pass.

Our TE is complete, saying he can block and catch, and run routes. And, he can beat you downfield too.

We have one proven man-beater with Johnson, although, defenses certainly respect Tracy and Jones for that as well. Ragaini is sneaky and after Bruce's coming out party against Maryland, defenses have to respect him as well.

And the QB. Petras has shown the ability to be accurate, somewhat consistently to all three levels, and to both his left and his right. He just can't run, but, it is not the end of the world because there are other ways to stress the linebackers.

All of that said, it just means that defenses are going to have to play us straight up. They are going to have to mix coverages, plan blitzes and be disciplined. If they don't, this offense has a counter to that. There is not a defensive line on our remaining schedule that will physically over-power us either, as I still say that ISU will be the best defense we face all season. So nobody is going to consistently man us up on the outside and dare us to throw it anymore, that statement has been made.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
Offensively its all about keeping the pressure off of Spencer and generate 1st downs for defense. What I fear the most is having our vaunted D get worn down if the offense is going 3 and out.

Offensively its all about keeping the pressure off of Spencer and generate 1st downs for defense. What I fear the most is having our vaunted D get worn down if the offense is going 3 and out.
For sure ... part of the game-plan should be to play "keep-away" with the PSU O.

PSU has only owned the TOP advantage this season in 2 games ... so they can do a lot of their damage in a short amount of time.

On the flip side ... if PSU needs to rely on chunk plays against Iowa to win ... that could play to Iowa's advantage. If Clifford tries to press in the game ... then the chances for turnovers goes up big-time.

Interesting food for thought ... in Iowa's games against our perceived toughest opponents thus far, all the turnovers have afforded the Hawks the opportunity to mostly only show what they WANT to show.

The misdirection, back-side TE screen has long been in our playbook ... but how we set it up against Maryland was pretty perfect. Too bad the Maryland DT was smart enough to hold LaPorta in order to prevent the TD.

Really good set-up (given what the D was showing) for the pass in the flat to IKM toward the end of the game ... that series only ended in a FG ... but the calls did a pretty good job of setting things up. Sometimes the D just makes a really impressive play ... definite cred to the Maryland defender for making that play in space. If IKM doesn't get tackled there ... he's likely walking into the end-zone.

Brian has been obviously showing a good bit as it relates to setting things up with our red-zone O ... because we HAVE been making a concerted effort to cash the turnovers in for TDs and not just FGs. So far, the results in that regard have been decent.

Anyhow, it seems pretty straight-forward that the Hawks haven't been forced to show all their cards through the first 5 games. Against IU, ISU, and Maryland all the turnovers afforded us to stick to more of a base game-plan based upon what the D was giving us (and based upon what we could execute ... given our blocking ... or lack thereof). Against Kent State and Colorado State ... those game were mostly self-scouting games where we were largely focused upon fundamentals and execution.

When looking into the "game within the game" ... Brian has shown a number of things so far this season ... and I'm willing to bet that most of those "reveals" were wholly intentional. The idea being to get the opposition to prepare for certain things - only for the O to exploit them if we see certain things from their D.

For instance, the very fact that we did the fake WR-screen ... and then caught LaPorta in the seam for the TD ... opposing Ds are going to be extra-careful against Iowa for the rest of the season because of that. Consequently, I'm willing to bet that we see the WR-screen with increasing frequency as a result. Similarly, if the D cheats ... we might see extra wrinkles [like the TE down the seam] to "catch" them.

One thing that is worth noting is that Lachey has mostly been playing the role of the in-line TE. Based on the opponent, match-ups, and how the D defends us ... I could see the Hawks exploit this. Lachey has been doing some good work for us blocking ... so I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks try to "sneak" him out as he releases from the line-of-scrimmage ... and catch the D sleeping.
I think this is BS. All big ten team have every play we have run in the past ten years- every 3rd and 5 play ever run, etc etc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT