ADVERTISEMENT

A walk down Melrose

urgone

Team MVP
Gold Member
Jul 16, 2001
After a 3 hour drive each home Saturday to our tailgate spot I generally have great excitement and anticipation as I walk down Melrose to Kinnick. I remember as a student the incredible vibe in 1977 as we walked from the dorms over to the first ever Iowa State game or the 1979 home opener filled with hope for this new coach from Texas. After graduation that Melrose walk seemed unreal in 1981 against Michigan State in the last game thinking if things went right in the Michigan/OSU game we were actually playing for the Rose Bowl. The expectation in 1985 as we walked to watch us clinch the title against Minnesota and win back the pig. The walk to the season opener in 1989 against Oregon to see our brand new grass field. The thrill of the first night game vs Miami in 1992. The perfect storm again in 2004 when the Mich/OSU outcome made the walk to
Kinnick surreal as an upset of top ten Wisky meant a Big Ten title again. The 2008 walk in the freezing cold to watch us upset #3 Penn State. I won't know for sure until around 6:30pm this Saturday but when you throw all this together - 32 thousand record setting fans to the grapple earlier that day, a chance at revenge and return of Floyd, a possible first ever 10-0 start, never before seen home unis, night game atmosphere....I submit this walk down Melrose to Kinnick might be filled with more anticipation and excitement than any before it. On Iowa! On Iowa forever more!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.