ADVERTISEMENT

A woman was raped on a train, police say. Passengers watched and didn’t call 911.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Riders watched as a woman was raped Wednesday night on a train near Philadelphia, but they did not intervene or call police — some, authorities said, may have even taken pictures and videos while it happened.

Officers reviewed surveillance footage from a Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) train that shows a man board shortly after a woman and sit next to her, according to Upper Darby Township Police Department Superintendent Timothy Bernhardt. The man talked to her, the footage shows, then “gradually” got aggressive, eventually ripping her clothes off and assaulting her.
“He sat next to her for a conversation. …” Bernhardt said. “And then he just completely overpowered the woman and forcibly raped her.”
A missing Alabama woman was found dead inside a police van. Her family wants answers.
Authorities were alerted by a female SEPTA employee, said Andrew Busch, a SEPTA spokesman. An officer from SEPTA’s police department intervened after the train on the Market-Frankford line stopped at 69th Street Transportation Center in Upper Darby. Between 80,000 and 90,000 people per day ride the Market-Frankford line.

ADVERTISING

The assault, he said, took about eight minutes — but onlookers did not help the woman.
“If somebody who witnessed this had called 911, it’s possible that we would have been able to intervene even sooner,” Busch said. “Because this had apparently started before the employee who was on board noticed what was going on.”
The suspect, Fiston Ngoy, 35, has been charged with several crimes, including rape and aggravated indecent assault, according to court records. He is being held at the Delaware County jail on $180,000 bail. Once Ngoy was arrested, the woman — who has not been publicly identified — was taken to a hospital for treatment.
“I spoke with the victim yesterday, and she is an unbelievably strong woman,” Bernhardt, the Upper Darby superintendent, said Saturday. “I can’t say enough about her, how she was able to identify her attacker, tell us what happened. Now she’s working … to get through this.”
A protester shot by Kyle Rittenhouse sues Kenosha, Wis., says police deputized ‘vigilantes’
SEPTA’s police officers and several unarmed guards regularly patrol its stations and trains, Busch said. They mainly respond to reports of robberies and thefts. After this sexual assault, he said, the transit authority is considering increasing its security.

For Bernhardt, the most “appalling” part of the event was the lack of empathy displayed by the other individuals riding the train. Investigators are going over the surveillance footage, and police received reports of riders recording video or taking pictures while the rape took place.
“I’m just speechless,” he said. “To be a victim of a crime like this and be victimized a second time is absolutely horrible.”
Bernhardt said there are different steps witnesses can take to intervene. People can call 911, alert the train conductor or scream to distract an attacker.
“I don’t know where we are in society that people can’t help other people out in a time of need,” he said. “If you see something horrendous like this horrible incident, you have to do something, you have to intervene. I think that it starts here when we have to definitely go back to some decency, where we help each other out and we look out for each other.”

I'm not trying to sound like I'm some Bilky Badass, a hero, or even a great person. Hell, I'm a prick like the rest of you.

That being said, I don't care how big the attacker is I would have done everything in my power to stop that. No way would I live with myself just watching.

Last edited:
That just doesn’t right, the only explanation I could possibly see is that the woman wasn’t screaming or somehow the passengers just thought it was a horny couple. Hence the reason they got out their phones.

Other than that there is little chance a man wouldn’t step in to help. So strange.

That just doesn’t right, the only explanation I could possibly see is that the woman wasn’t screaming or somehow the passengers just thought it was a horny couple. Hence the reason they got out their phones.

Other than that there is little chance a man wouldn’t step in to help. So strange.
That was my thinking. It's hard to believe that a bunch of people would knowingly just watch a rape in progress.

All I know is, one evening in Iowa City back in college, a group of guys I was with witnessed and prevented a potential rape, and proceeded to beat his ass in public.

In hindsight, as this was just before the 'whip out your cell phone and record everything' era, they probably could've gotten in trouble for assault, but nobody around seemed to care when they knew what had happened.

Different times, I guess......

Reactions: cigaretteman
So, let's think about how bad this is. It's horrible. Then think that 10 kids were just arrested for watching someone getting their ass beat and not doing anything and everyone here believes that's way over the line. Well, what about these train riders? Especially those filming? Shouldn't something happen here?

Is it worst to arrest 10 kids doing nothing or to arrest no adults for doing nothing? That answer is obvious, but there needs to be a way to prevent what happens on that train from happening. I wonder if any of those 10 kids will let that happen when they reach adulthood. And no, I'm not for arresting those kids. Just trying to figure out how to make us all better Samaritans.

Subways are weird places. People can be having loud nervous breakdowns and people ignore it. Brawls and no one does anything. On the other hand sometimes everyone jumps up and acts as one and beats down a groper. There's no predicting it. They're a strange in-between place where social norms don't exist.

Riders watched as a woman was raped Wednesday night on a train near Philadelphia, but they did not intervene or call police — some, authorities said, may have even taken pictures and videos while it happened.

Officers reviewed surveillance footage from a Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) train that shows a man board shortly after a woman and sit next to her, according to Upper Darby Township Police Department Superintendent Timothy Bernhardt. The man talked to her, the footage shows, then “gradually” got aggressive, eventually ripping her clothes off and assaulting her.
“He sat next to her for a conversation. …” Bernhardt said. “And then he just completely overpowered the woman and forcibly raped her.”
A missing Alabama woman was found dead inside a police van. Her family wants answers.
Authorities were alerted by a female SEPTA employee, said Andrew Busch, a SEPTA spokesman. An officer from SEPTA’s police department intervened after the train on the Market-Frankford line stopped at 69th Street Transportation Center in Upper Darby. Between 80,000 and 90,000 people per day ride the Market-Frankford line.

ADVERTISING

The assault, he said, took about eight minutes — but onlookers did not help the woman.
“If somebody who witnessed this had called 911, it’s possible that we would have been able to intervene even sooner,” Busch said. “Because this had apparently started before the employee who was on board noticed what was going on.”
The suspect, Fiston Ngoy, 35, has been charged with several crimes, including rape and aggravated indecent assault, according to court records. He is being held at the Delaware County jail on $180,000 bail. Once Ngoy was arrested, the woman — who has not been publicly identified — was taken to a hospital for treatment.
“I spoke with the victim yesterday, and she is an unbelievably strong woman,” Bernhardt, the Upper Darby superintendent, said Saturday. “I can’t say enough about her, how she was able to identify her attacker, tell us what happened. Now she’s working … to get through this.”
A protester shot by Kyle Rittenhouse sues Kenosha, Wis., says police deputized ‘vigilantes’
SEPTA’s police officers and several unarmed guards regularly patrol its stations and trains, Busch said. They mainly respond to reports of robberies and thefts. After this sexual assault, he said, the transit authority is considering increasing its security.

For Bernhardt, the most “appalling” part of the event was the lack of empathy displayed by the other individuals riding the train. Investigators are going over the surveillance footage, and police received reports of riders recording video or taking pictures while the rape took place.
“I’m just speechless,” he said. “To be a victim of a crime like this and be victimized a second time is absolutely horrible.”
Bernhardt said there are different steps witnesses can take to intervene. People can call 911, alert the train conductor or scream to distract an attacker.
“I don’t know where we are in society that people can’t help other people out in a time of need,” he said. “If you see something horrendous like this horrible incident, you have to do something, you have to intervene. I think that it starts here when we have to definitely go back to some decency, where we help each other out and we look out for each other.”

People prefer to get clicks on their posts or videos instead of being stand up citizens. That is how far our society has fallen. It happens on a daily basis. It’s an embarrassment.

Reactions: hawkeye_power
FAUlty Gator representing

FCylGobXEAMEtql

ADVERTISEMENT