ADVERTISEMENT

A word you've never heard of "hottentots" has been handled

Ghee Buttersnaps

Team MVP
Nov 12, 2023
Not that anyone really cares, but it's important enough for a "news" article and subsequent GIAOT sharing. :cool:

‘Mary Poppins’ age rating increased in U.K. due to ‘discriminatory language’

The 1964 Disney classic twice uses a word that is a racially insensitive term for the Khoekhoe, an indigenous group in South Africa, the British Board of Film Classification announced.

The age rating for the 1964 “Mary Poppins” has been increased in the U.K. due to “discriminatory language.”

On Friday, the British Board of Film Classification upped the Disney movie’s cinema rating from U, meaning it contained “no material likely to offend or harm,” to PG for “discriminatory language.”

In a statement to Variety, a BBFC spokesperson said that the film “includes two uses of the discriminatory term ‘hottentots.’"

"While ‘Mary Poppins’ has a historical context, the use of discriminatory language is not condemned, and ultimately exceeds our guidelines for acceptable language at U," the spokesperson said. "We therefore classified the film PG for discriminatory language.”

The word is a racially insensitive term for the Khoekhoe, an indigenous group in South Africa. The BBFC further explained that the word is used in the film by Admiral Boom (Reginald Owen), including when referring to the chimney sweeps whose faces are covered in soot.

“Some language or behaviors are therefore not permitted at U or PG in any circumstance, or are wholly dependent on context,” they said.

The original “Mary Poppins” starred Julie Andrews as the magical nanny and Dick Van Dyke as her sidekick Bert. The cast also included David Tomlinson, Glynis Johns, Hermione Baddeley, Karen Dotrice, Matthew Garber, Elsa Lanchester, Arthur Treacher and Ed Wynn.

The film was an immediate phenomenon upon its release, and has since been adapted into a hit Broadway musical and was given a sequel, “Mary Poppins Returns,” in 2018. Emily Blunt starred as Poppins alongside Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ben Whishaw, Emily Mortimer, Julie Walters, Colin Firth and Meryl Streep. Van Dyke made an appearance in the sequel as the uncle of Firth’s character.

Dick Van Dyke's awful accent should have been enough to get the rating changed. Still love the movie, though.
Chicago Fire GIF by Wolf Entertainment

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
Am I the only one that feels there are some people who must spend all their time looking for words or pictures or anything else that they can claim offends someone? Does anyone actually believe that anyone from the Khoekhoe people has been up in arms since 1964 due to that word being used in Mary Poppins? If all you have to due is to point out microagressions for a group nobody outside of South Africa has ever heard of, then you really need to reevaluate your life choices.

Reactions: jasonrann
Am I the only one that feels there are some people who must spend all their time looking for words or pictures or anything else that they can claim offends someone? Does anyone actually believe that anyone from the Khoekhoe people has been up in arms since 1964 due to that word being used in Mary Poppins? If all you have to due is to point out microagressions for a group nobody outside of South Africa has ever heard of, then you really need to reevaluate your life choices.
If your job is to rate appropriate viewing guidelines based on the age of the viewer, like in this case then I'd say they are doing exactly what their job is.

As to your point, nobody who isn't affected cares, which is fine. Maybe this makes a few people feel better at the expense of no one. If you have an issue with it on a moral level, you're probably just an asshole.

No, it's a pretty obscure thing to find fault with; however, had there not been a story on it I doubt I'd have noticed the ratings change from essentially 'G' to 'PG', if that change even happened/s here in the U.S.

As for being more offended, I'm not sure if people are less/equal/more offended than before of if we just know when people are offended. Maybe offenses were always discussed prior to SM, but they were limited to bridge clubs, neighborhood BBQs, and church socials. Who knows, but it certainly does at least "feel" like people are offended all the damn time.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I just got back from Costco. I picked up some new bath towels, a case of tissue, some paper plates and MOST IMPORTANTLY! Pizza!

I had the most pleasant experience. :)

This is the most important sentence from the article:

the use of discriminatory language is not condemned

So there is literally no canceling going on here - merely updating information for a modern audience.
I think you’re misreading that.
They changed the rating for the movie because the movie itself doesn’t condemn the language, if it had, that context would change how they rate the use of the term.

Legend has it when you say, “Hottentots” three times @Herkmeister appears, like a Bat Signal.

Reactions: Bierhalter
If your job is to rate appropriate viewing guidelines based on the age of the viewer, like in this case then I'd say they are doing exactly what their job is.

As to your point, nobody who isn't affected cares, which is fine. Maybe this makes a few people feel better at the expense of no one. If you have an issue with it on a moral level, you're probably just an asshole.
There is no doubt that's what he is, but then which maga isn't?

Turned on an old Popeye cartoon for the kids on Saturday. It said "rating 13+ for smoking, language, and violence."

This is the most important sentence from the article:

the use of discriminatory language is not condemned

So there is literally no canceling going on here - merely updating information for a modern audience.
Great catch! Kinda like Whoopi Goldberg's intro to my Tom & Jerry blu-ray. She basically said the characters were depictive of the times.

Great catch! Kinda like Whoopi Goldberg's intro to my Tom & Jerry blu-ray. She basically said the characters were depictive of the times.
My son's name is Tom. I cannot say that I've never done the Taaawmussss!!! like Mammy Two Shoes used to yell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT