ADVERTISEMENT

A you a car person?

I have a BMW X4, it is fun to drive, I kind of felt like a doucher buying it but honestly it is really fun to drive and looks pretty bad ass. It has allowed me to bang my wife approximately 0 more times than I otherwise would have.

I have had it for a little over a year and commute to work 2-3 days per week, I work from home or a coffee shop on other days (I am at a Scooters right now). Kind of wishing I could go back in time and wait another year, my BIL just got a Tesla and it is totally awesome plus I am into saving the environment for real vs just typing about it here and on social media...I also could use the car as a battery back up to my house and having solar panels fill up your car would be a pretty bad ass thing.

I have an M4 convertible.

I am the driving embodiment of a Doosher, and I don't care because it is SO FUN TO DRIVE! :)

Isn't she pretty?

BMW-m4-convertible-pyrite-brown-02-750x500.jpg

I have an M4 convertible.

I am the driving embodiment of a Doosher, and I don't care because it is SO FUN TO DRIVE! :)

Isn't she pretty?

BMW-m4-convertible-pyrite-brown-02-750x500.jpg

I bet that's a blast to drive.

My next car will be an M. Probably will be roughly a 10 year old version (I'm a poor), but still. I've driven roughly 10 different M's through the years, and every one of them was an absolute joy to drive.

My mechanic buys and sells M's. Every time he works on my Bimmers, he flips me the keys to his latest purchase and tells me mine will be done in 48 hours.

It's good to have friends such as these ;)

Reactions: torbee
I bet that's a blast to drive.

My next car will be an M. Probably will be roughly a 10 year old version (I'm a poor), but still. I've driven roughly 10 different M's through the years, and every one of them was an absolute joy to drive.

My mechanic buys and sells M's. Every time he works on my Bimmers, he flips me the keys to his latest purchase and tells me mine will be done in 48 hours.

It's good to have friends such as these ;)
It is wildly, wildly impractical - but yeah, every time you turn it on it's a rush.

Gets about 18 mpg on the highway, tires can't be driven on if temperature is below 37 degrees, can only have oil changed at the dealer, etc., etc.

My wife hates it and (correctly) notes it's a massive money suck. But I spend hardly any other money on other luxury items, clothes, etc., so it is my one big area of spoiling myself.

I am, however, seriously contemplating getting rid of it and buying a brand new Ford Bronco when they finally release the new version. I will get the most powerful one with all the bells and whistles when it's done. Very excited about it being resurrected.

I'll admit, the older I get, the more I like hot hatches. Cars such as Ford Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, VW GTI, Subaru WRX, Mazda Speed3, Hyundai Elantra GT, etc.

Mercedes--Lexus thread got me thinking.

Some of my friends are truck guys, some like luxury cars (whether or not they can afford them), and some view vehicles as means to get from point A to point B.

I’m in the latter category. I commute a lot, want something practical and with the bells and whistles, but am not interested in paying for a name.

Where do you fit?

Car guy. I love driving. I like the technology. I park in the middle of nowhere. Current: 2018 Audi RS3. It runs like a raped ape.

I'll admit, the older I get, the more I like hot hatches. Cars such as Ford Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, VW GTI, Subaru WRX, Mazda Speed3, Hyundai Elantra GT, etc.

Golf R or gtfo.

Golf R or gtfo.

Those too. I had a modified Mazda Speed3, that thing could fly, take corners like it was on rails and still get 35 mpg. It was pushing a shade over 300bhp.

I am, however, seriously contemplating getting rid of it and buying a brand new Ford Bronco when they finally release the new version. I will get the most powerful one with all the bells and whistles when it's done. Very excited about it being resurrected.

I've been watching these,... going to be pricey.

It is wildly, wildly impractical - but yeah, every time you turn it on it's a rush.

Gets about 18 mpg on the highway, tires can't be driven on if temperature is below 37 degrees, can only have oil changed at the dealer, etc., etc.

My wife hates it and (correctly) notes it's a massive money suck. But I spend hardly any other money on other luxury items, clothes, etc., so it is my one big area of spoiling myself.

Funny , I drive an X5 currently and love it (dont love the repair costs) and I am also kinda curious as to this vehicle when it comes out. It will be real tough I think to go from a BMW to a Ford. BMW is just so fun to drive..

People talk about the expensive oil changes but honestly I dont think its that bad. I only drive between 4-5k miles a year (I work from home) and my dealer charges around 125 for an oil change and I get it done at about 18 months just because I dont want the same oil in there for too long.

Yeah, I'm a car guy. Probably more a car guy than anything else. Dunno, just love to drive and like the zen of turning a wrench. This illness befell me when I was 16 and talked my dad into buying this for $1100 and a '72 Toyota Corona:

7939_p14_l.jpg

It was cheap because it was 1. a 2+2, 2. a Series II, and 3. "Ascot Fawn" - or more accurately, beige. It was a money pit, and I worked on that thing constantly. My mom despised it because there is no way a woman wearing a dress can enter or exit that car "like a lady." So as soon as I left for FSU, she needled Pops daily until he sold it.

It never left me, though. What has left me in the intervening 40 years is my ability to crawl under a car. But somehow that has not made any difference. So now I look out my window and see these in my driveway:

big93.jpg

7471374.jpg

38550650003_original.jpg

08xkrT.jpg

They're all over 10 years old, could all use a little work, and none get over 17 mpg in town. Oh, and I had to get rid of this one to make room for the blue one:

8324_1200614598.jpg

I lied to myself when I bought them that at least one of my sons would be a "car guy." But no; they'll drive them, especially the (green) 400 HP one, but only until they can get into a self-driving one.

So yeah, I'm a car guy. Is there something I can take for this?

Unless you owned a VW diesel Rabbit, no pickup ever got 30 mpg....none.
rabbit-1502907718170.jpg
I had a 4-speed, manual Mitsubishi Mighty Max back in 1993 and I think it got close to 30 mpg. Absolutely tinny, crappy body (but very light!) but damn did that engine run and run and run with no issues. Sat outside through 2 cold Wisconsin winters and NEVER didn't start in the morning. It was the best shitty car I ever had, if that makes sense, lol.

Funny , I drive an X5 currently and love it (dont love the repair costs) and I am also kinda curious as to this vehicle when it comes out. It will be real tough I think to go from a BMW to a Ford. BMW is just so fun to drive..

People talk about the expensive oil changes but honestly I dont think its that bad. I only drive between 4-5k miles a year (I work from home) and my dealer charges around 125 for an oil change and I get it done at about 18 months just because I dont want the same oil in there for too long.
@bladel has a completely tricked out F-150 - the fancy edition - and I swear it doesn't lack compared to almost any luxury vehicle.

Of course, it also COSTS about as much. :)

Car guy here. Currently in the garage are a Mercedes GLE 350 and a Lexus ES350. I don’t need a S class AMG or a M5 but I do enjoy driving a nicer car vs 10 year old Altima.

For the foreseeable future we will have some sort grocery getter and a sedan. Depending on the number of kids we will have either a crossover, minivan or SUV. I can’t see myself getting a fully loaded Escalade but I don’t see an Equinox in my future either.

The sedan will probably switch back to a sports sedan when it is time to replace the ES. We will look at a 5 series BMW, Lexus GS or possibly a Tesla.

Fullsize van ftw!! Was a big suv person back in the day, doubt I'll ever buy another though. same with a truck...although I've only owned one.

Disclosure-no i'm not a rapist or kidnapper :D

So we have an x3 35i. Great car. Just change the oil and rotate tires 2x a year. Luv the heads up display and instant power. Yes- when the warranty expires- you want to get rid of the car cause the parts are so damn expensive

And we have a 2007 Honda Accord v6. Great car with surprising quickness.

If there is one thing I can’t stand- it is an underpowered car

I generally view a car as a means to get me from point a to point b, but I do like the vehicle that I have right now & will likely drive it for a long time. It's a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport, soft-top. It's fun to drive, especially when the weather is nice & I can put the top down & cruise in it.
As much as I enjoy driving it, it is probably the most impractical vehicle ever. It doesn't get particularly good gas mileage, and on the interstate it rides rough and loud. There's no room to carry much of anything, and it isn't particularly comfortable. The sight lines are lousy when the roof is up. So pretty much everything about it sucks, but I still love to drive it.
Any opinions on Volkswagens?

:D

Truck guy. 4 door Tundra. Crewmax, not the wimpy half backdoor. Cars are transportation. Daily riders. Trucks are for traveling...

I like older Germans. Currently own

2012 Mercedes GLK 350 - the wife’s
2005 BMW 330
2003 BMW 325 convertible
1999 BMW 328i convertible

If there was a decent European repair shop near, I would probably have a few older ones. My favorite was a 1988 BMW 635 csi and I miss owning an e30 convertible. They were easier to maintain in Chicago as I had a guy.

I do the majority of my own maintenance on my vehicles so I prefer things I can work on when necessary. I keep them mechanically sound and that's all that really matters to me. I would however like to own the new RAM 2500 with the Cummins turbo diesel for pulling my 5th wheel camper. The problem with that is I despise personal debt and it's hard for me to pull the trigger on 65K for a truck.

My old man has a ‘16 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel he bought with 12,500 miles on it. He’s got a fairly large 5th wheel camper he takes up north. Why buy a new diesel?

I think it's cool that diesels are rebounding a bit from the VW disaster. The Colorado got one as did the Wrangler and the new Ram does look pretty sweet.

Pickup truck diesels never lost their luster. It’s just that American car companies have yet to build a diesel powered sedan that could perform or compete with the German diesels. My ‘14 Jetta TDI was a great value and the fuel mileage was pretty good, closer to 41mpg than the lower advertised rate. Diesels are a more efficient engine than gasoline and last longer if take care of.

My old man has a ‘16 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel he bought with 12,500 miles on it. He’s got a fairly large 5th wheel camper he takes up north. Why buy a new diesel?
I just really like the looks of the 2019, that's it in a nut shell. The 2016's are nice too and 12,500 isn't even broken in yet, so yeah it would work just fine. My BIL has a 2011 3500 with a 6 speed manual and it's a pulling monster. I'm sure I will buy used just due the the sticker shock of a new one, I just think the 2019s are sharp looking.

Pickup truck diesels never lost their luster. It’s just that American car companies have yet to build a diesel powered sedan that could perform or compete with the German diesels. My ‘14 Jetta TDI was a great value and the fuel mileage was pretty good, closer to 41mpg than the lower advertised rate. Diesels are a more efficient engine than gasoline and last longer if take care of.

The big trucks never lost their luster. But the Colorado is a midsize, the Wrangler getting a diesel is new, same with the Grand Cherokee. I had a '10 Jetta TDI that I also really liked, but sold it back to VW during their settlement.

The big trucks never lost their luster. But the Colorado is a midsize, the Wrangler getting a diesel is new, same with the Grand Cherokee. I had a '10 Jetta TDI that I also really liked, but sold it back to VW during their settlement.

Jeep has made diesels off and on. I got about $22,500 for my TDI. Turned around and bought a BMW AWD sedan and my next one will be diesel I think.
I’d love to get my hands on an older FZJ80 Land Cruiser with the Diesel engine.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I like cars/trucks a lot but I am very practical. My current car is a 2013 Accord which gets fantastic mileage and I know will be around for years. I paid it off within the first year and plan on driving it until the wheels fall off.

With that being said, I do love trucks. My next purchase will be some type of older (5-6 year) 4-door truck. I really like the Toyota Tacoma but for the price you can almost get a full size. Rams looking good, like chevys but no way on ford.

If you don’t have a new Chrysler Pacifica or Honda Odyssey Minivan then you are doing the vehicle game wrong.

#MiniVanMafia

You're a lefty, I likely paid for it and you didn't even know it...
I know most of your posts are just memes so just for you:
joe-friday-just-the-facts.jpg

25 mpg does not = 30 mpg.
I've probably paid you more through taxes and your business practices than you've paid for me. And 25 is close to 30 which is what I said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT