ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Graves

Taking dual credit classes, AP, and PSEO classes are common now. Years ago the universities did not accept a college class if it was on a high school transcript. The big culprits, in this state, were Iowa, ISU, and UNI. This changed when many students went to a community college to complete their degree and then transferred to a four-year university. The universities realized they were losing many credit hours! In the late 90's we had several students close to an AA degree. It took years of lobbying and working with local high school teachers to get their masters degree in a content area to pull this off. The first step in this direction was allowing 8th grade students to take
Algebra 1 which would free up their schedules later. This is an awesome change for parents that saves them thousands of dollars in tuition.

Incoming FR. Aaron Graves gets AA Degree While in high school

What's not to love about this motivated student athlete. Talk about a modest hs kid who has it figured out. Committed so early and put in the classroom work too... He's mature beyond his age and knows what he wants. Hope we can keep him for a few years before he heads off to the NFL after his junior year! Graves is going places!

Does this mean he gets that BA and portals out to Alabama in two years? ;)

Or ISU?:D

He should be proud of himself, really cool! He'll be great wherever life takes him.
Definitely cool ... I have a niece who took 5 years to get her associates (doing the part-time student thing). Cool that Aaron was able to get that out of the way so early.

Taking dual credit classes, AP, and PSEO classes are common now. ... This is an awesome change for parents that saves them thousands of dollars in tuition.

This ^^ was, in part, how my sons got through college without any borrowing or debt. A kid that is really focused, and it sure sounds like the young man Graves is, can really take a load off by hustling during their HS days. Congrats to this young man! That is cool.

Reactions: globalhawk
This ^^ was, in part, how my sons got through college without any borrowing or debt. A kid that is really focused, and it sure sounds like the young man Graves is, can really take a load off by hustling during their HS days. Congrats to this young man! That is cool.
Having a kid start Iowa with 32 credits from AP classes helped out.

Actually, after thinking about it more...it was college credits from AP courses that my sons had, not actual CC courses. In either event, they started college with a substantial amount of college credits and that allowed them to keep tuition lower and keep more time available for work hours, etc. Both in combination really helped them complete their degrees in 4 years and avoid any debt or borrowing.

You're telling me. My son graduated from City High last year with 20+ credit hours already in his pocket. He planned to go to a small Iowa college but quickly realized it was not what he was looking for. He came home and we immediately enrolled him at Kirkwood CC for the fall semester and after the current spring term he'll enroll at Iowa with over 50 hours of transferred college credit next fall term. I would not be surprised at all if he's got his degree studies finished in 5 semesters, easily.

Actually, after thinking about it more...it was college credits from AP courses that my sons had, not actual CC courses. In either event, they started college with a substantial amount of college credits and that allowed them to keep tuition lower and keep more time available for work hours, etc. Both in combination really helped them complete their degrees in 4 years and avoid any debt or borrowing.
when was this? my understanding is that these days most universities try to either deny credit for APs or give credit but not count them towards graduation.

when was this? my understanding is that these days most universities try to either deny credit for APs or give credit but not count them towards graduation.
2011-2013'ish. I know both of my sons started college with a good number of college credits, earned while they were still in HS.

Just taking AP courses is insufficient. Typically students must earn a particular score on an AP exam for the AP courses to count. A 5 will get credit for units (at least in most places). A 4 might get credits or might just get exemption from certain general education requirements.

Taking dual credit classes, AP, and PSEO classes are common now. Years ago the universities did not accept a college class if it was on a high school transcript. The big culprits, in this state, were Iowa, ISU, and UNI. This changed when many students went to a community college to complete their degree and then transferred to a four-year university. The universities realized they were losing many credit hours! In the late 90's we had several students close to an AA degree. It took years of lobbying and working with local high school teachers to get their masters degree in a content area to pull this off. The first step in this direction was allowing 8th grade students to take
Algebra 1 which would free up their schedules later. This is an awesome change for parents that saves them thousands of dollars in tuition.
That first step was taken a long time ago. I had Algebra 1 as an eighth grader in the mid-1970s and we weren't the first group to have that option.

Impressive! I took a couple college classes at Wartburg in high school but nothing close to having my AA done. Graves looks to have a superb work ethic in the classroom and outside of it.

Just taking AP courses is insufficient. Typically students must earn a particular score on an AP exam for the AP courses to count. A 5 will get credit for units (at least in most places). A 4 might get credits or might just get exemption from certain general education requirements.
4 was the target, 5 was a bonus. For being ‘smart’ it took until the Tippie direct admit meeting when he said ‘wait, I am a sophomore?’
Umm yup, smart guy

BV and HMB, I think we have a kind of shared experience. For fall of 77 I have a vague memory of not counting my 12 hours of credit from a small junior college that later became Indian Hills.

I didn't get credit for Math because I didn't take the senior AP math but I think there were some credits for my ACT score. Took the math exams and passed out on the first day and finished with "testing" out of 4 hours of phys ed (bowling and billiards). Who ever knew you could get four hours of college credit for being a respectable bowler and pool player? A lot of credits for really very little effort.

BV, special thanks for your efforts on behalf of smart kids, especially the 8th grade algebra thing. Kids should be able to take classes appropriate to their academic maturity and not just a straight line based on grade.

I don't know if there is still such a thing as CLEP, but I took a set of exams during the summer before my freshman year at Iowa. For $50 there was the possibility earning, IIRC, up to 24 units (or six courses). Scores at the 85th percentile of college sophomore norms would get 4 units of credit and at the 80th percentile would get exemption from GE requirements.

I don't know if there is still such a thing as CLEP, but I took a set of exams during the summer before my freshman year at Iowa. For $50 there was the possibility earning, IIRC, up to 24 units (or six courses). Scores at the 85th percentile of college sophomore norms would get 4 units of credit and at the 80th percentile would get exemption from GE requirements.
That's the CLEP tests I where I couldn't remember the name. Good recall. Five of the CLEPs but not math. I then took the math pass out tests on the second day maybe. Then the phys ed stuff. Thirty-two hours my brother said earlier tonight.

Can you still do those CLEP tests? Man that is blast from 45 years past, literally right now.

Always seems the kids who pull this off are the ones involved in everything.

Actually a lot of high schools are offering lots of college classes . In 03 I had 12 credits
It makes sense. My senior year I barely had to go classes. Each trimester, I took 2-3 classes and I don’t believe any were required. I had already fulfilled all my requirements. I could have taken classes at Kirkwood, but I wasn’t that ambitious and was more concerned with having a good time with my friends and gf at the time.

That's the CLEP tests I where I couldn't remember the name. Good recall. Five of the CLEPs but not math. I then took the math pass out tests on the second day maybe. Then the phys ed stuff. Thirty-two hours my brother said earlier tonight.

Can you still do those CLEP tests? Man that is blast from 45 years past, literally right now.
I checked and CLEP still exists. Looks like there are more exams available and it costs $89 per exam.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT