ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Taylor nails it. USC Tampered & Offered Pitt WR Jordan Addison Massive NIL Deal BEFORE he entered Transfer Portal. Over $3M Plus a House

Can the university president stop Addison from signing a $3M movie deal with MGM? Can the university president stop him from signing a $3M record deal with Capital Records? Can the university president stop him from signing a $3M book deal with Simon & Schuster? The answer is: No.

The contract between Addison & The USC NIL Collective(s) is not connected to the university!

For example, if one of the terms of the hypothetical movie contract between Addison & MGM required that Addison be a full time student in good standing at USC, then Addison would need to do that in order to get his movie contract.

People need to stop "pulling" the schools into the contract between the Individual and the Collective(s).

One last point: The NCAA didn't let this happen. The NCAA was sued, lost the lawsuit, and has been castrated by the players. Schools are not going to get involved in this because they'll be sued, lose, and be castrated by the players.

I agree with you in that the contract between Addison & the USC NIL Collective(s) are not supposed to be connected to the university.

However, there clearly is tampering going on by USC alumni, at minimum, and I find it hard to believe Lincoln Riley has not talked to members of the USC Collective on players he would love to have. Lincoln would love to add Jordan Addison, and what happens? The USC NIL Collective offers him a massive deal.

Based on these 3 things, I think it's pretty clear there's been tampering & Lincoln has been involved:

(1) Pitt HC Pat Narduzzi, who is furious about this, called Lincoln Riley several times on Friday

(2) A multi million dollar deal has been reported BEFORE Addison entered the portal. Why do we all know about his deal now??

(3) Reporters are making it pretty clear that they think/know coaches like Lincoln Riley are in on what the NIL Collectives are doing in order to land these transfers, even though the coaches are NOT supposed to be.

Reactions: sober_teacher
casablanca-shocked.gif

I agree with you in that the contract between Addison & the USC NIL Collective(s) are not supposed to be connected to the university.

However, there clearly is tampering going on by USC alumni, at minimum, and I find it hard to believe Lincoln Riley has not talked to members of the USC Collective on players he would love to have. Lincoln would love to add Jordan Addison, and what happens? The USC NIL Collective offers him a massive deal.

Based on these 3 things, I think it's pretty clear there's been tampering & Lincoln has been involved:

(1) Pitt HC Pat Narduzzi, who is furious about this, called Lincoln Riley several times on Friday

(2) A multi million dollar deal has been reported BEFORE Addison entered the portal. Why do we all know about his deal now??

(3) Reporters are making it pretty clear that they think/know coaches like Lincoln Riley are in on what the NIL Collectives are doing in order to land these transfers, even though the coaches are NOT supposed to be.

To answer your points:
(1) Sour grapes;
(2) He entered the portal when he signed the papers to enter the portal, not when Pitt decides to sit on it and wait to process the paperwork.
(3) Every Head Coach is "unofficiallly" in on the NIL Collective discussions/deals (wink, wink).

do i feel for pitt? yes
do i blame the kid? no
do i hope he breaks a leg in practice and never plays a down for usc? maybe
So if there's a chance he could break his leg and never play for usc or never get drafted, it sounds like he's making a smart business decision to take the money now

Reactions: Quintana
Aaron Taylor is right, except I still don't agree that athletes need a bigger piece of the pie.

College Sports was supposed to be about young men and women that want a college education and participate in a sport while they are doing it.

I will admit, a person that doesn't care about a college education is getting screwed.

A person that truly values a college education is very well compensated.

So, today, college sports are all about the kids that don't care about a college education. The portal and NIL are about the kids that don't want a college education, but everyone is bending over backwards to keep them happy.

NIL was SUPPOSED to be about getting some cash to the kids - sign a few autographs, sell some t-shirts, make an appearance and make some dough. It was not intended as a vehicle for getting rich or auctioning their skills to the highest bidder.

The portal was SUPPOSED to allow athletes that were in a situation that they didn't like the additional freedom to move. They always had the freedom to move, but their were sacrifices. Now they simply get to repeat the recruiting process and go to the highest bidder.

For years I have been saying that the NFL and the NBA need to open their doors or at least pay plyers in a serious development league. To late. A kid can make way more money in college now than in a development league, and some might even make more than a rookie contract with either league.

If kids don't want a college degree, they should have better options outside of college sports. They haven't really in the past, and for now they certainly don't.
Will the NCAA hammer teams for doing this like they did SMU? Probably not the major programs, NIL is a game changer and it is not even out of its infancy stage and is already causing issues. NIL should negate a team from competing in the NCAA - just make them semi-pro (a separate D1 league or oust them all together from NCAA) and everyone else can play on a more level playing field.

To answer your points:
(1) Sour grapes;
(2) He entered the portal when he signed the papers to enter the portal, not when Pitt decides to sit on it and wait to process the paperwork.
(3) Every Head Coach is "unofficiallly" in on the NIL Collective discussions/deals (wink, wink).
But the NIL deal with USC was announced before his announcement that he was entering the portal, or as close to simultaneous that there’s no plausible way tampering wasn’t involved.

Is it me or wouldn't you rather see the 2-3MM go to several athletes as opposed to 1 guy. Something tells me if Iowa was to throw out 3 MM they would be best off putting it towards 4 OL. Id see much more value there.

Last edited:
Reactions: not_mantiteo
That's more than a lot of NFL players. This is going to be good for team chemistry and harmony 🤮.

I wonder how these boosters are going to feel when these 7 figure players do not meet expectations.

But the NIL deal with USC was announced before his announcement that he was entering the portal, or as close to simultaneous that there’s no plausible way tampering wasn’t involved.
"...the NIL deal with USC was announced..." ~ WTF?

Have you seen it? Has anyone seen it?

News hype to sell stories/clicks. Stop getting wrapped up in the hype. Any deal that might be done, or is done, between the kid & Collective isn't going to be officially disclosed. If, and when, it does take place it will be "speculated" to be worth $3M by hype-seeking quasi-reporters.

Multi-million dollars deals are very exciting, but nothing new to NIL ~ get used to it.

Reactions: OILCHECKER
"...the NIL deal with USC was announced..." ~ WTF?

Have you seen it? Has anyone seen it?

News hype to sell stories/clicks. Stop getting wrapped up in the hype. Any deal that might be done, or is done, between the kid & Collective isn't going to be officially disclosed. If, and when, it does take place it will be "speculated" to be worth $3M by hype-seeking quasi-reporters.

Multi-million dollars deals are very exciting, but nothing new to NIL ~ get used to it.

Sorry I mistyped. It sure seems to be common knowledge that this guy had an NIL deal waiting with USC before he announced his intent to transfer…to the point that Narduzzi called Lincoln Riley about it.

It’s not the NIL deal itself that bugs me, it’s that it seems very apparent tampering is going on with this player, and it likewise seems likely that Riley is at least tangentially aware. Maybe you’re right and this is all smoke from that respect. Quite a lot of smoke however.

Why? If a kid has national appeal why should he have to wait until he decides where to go to school to get paid?
once the kid is paid, he is no longer an Amateur anyway, but there need to be very strict rules that apply both to the kid and the school for violations. You make the penalty harsh enough less schools are going to be willing to break the rules, and once caught, the school and athlete needs to be made an example. IMOP of course.

So if there's a chance he could break his leg and never play for usc or never get drafted, it sounds like he's making a smart business decision to take the money now
in the current nil landscape, absolutely.

i think this is a valid question regarding these players getting the big nil $'s which i haven't seen floated out there yet...

what happens if the player who was being paid by these collectives decides to skip a bowl game? does the collective have a say in the matter? do they start creating contracts with stipulations? pro players can't sit out games voluntarily can they? to me there is no difference between college players being enticed to go to school with guaranteed money and a pro player. none.

i would make them play.

edit to say: or at least make them pay back a prorated portion of the collective $'s... on second thought, screw 'em, make 'em play.

Reactions: bumpstock
Sorry I mistyped. It sure seems to be common knowledge that this guy had an NIL deal waiting with USC before he announced his intent to transfer…to the point that Narduzzi called Lincoln Riley about it.

It’s not the NIL deal itself that bugs me, it’s that it seems very apparent tampering is going on with this player, and it likewise seems likely that Riley is at least tangentially aware. Maybe you’re right and this is all smoke from that respect. Quite a lot of smoke however.
Any tampering that's going on (and, there probably is) is between the athlete & the collective.

This isn't just USC NIL Collective "potential" tampering; other colleges are "potentially" tampering.

If (let us assume) the USC NIL Collective did tamper, what recourse is there? They're not accountable to anyone.

in the current nil landscape, absolutely.

i think this is a valid question regarding these players getting the big nil $'s which i haven't seen floated out there yet...

what happens if the player who was being paid by these collectives decides to skip a bowl game? does the collective have a say in the matter? do they start creating contracts with stipulations? pro players can't sit out games voluntarily can they? to me there is no difference between college players being enticed to go to school with guaranteed money and a pro player. none.

i would make them play.

edit to say: or at least make them pay back a prorated portion of the collective $'s... on second thought, screw 'em, make 'em play.
It sure would be nice to "peek" at the terms/conditions of these NIL Contracts, but one of the provisions just might be that the athlete (and his agent) are prohibited from releasing their copy of the contract.

It's kinda like getting that "hot info" from The Hawkeye Lounge ~ you gotta pay to play.

Any tampering that's going on (and, there probably is) is between the athlete & the collective.

This isn't just USC NIL Collective "potential" tampering; other colleges are "potentially" tampering.

If (let us assume) the USC NIL Collective did tamper, what recourse is there? They're not accountable to anyone.

Well, you’re kidding yourself if the school/coach isn’t at least somewhat aware of this, they’re not going to offer NIL contracts to everyone unless they know the school wants a specific player.

And the lack of regulation is the problem here. In many ways, NIL has simply brought to life many of the deals that were likely happening under the table, albeit with smaller amounts of cash involved. But previously, there was on paper at least, penalties for tampering under the old set of rules. There are no such rules in place regarding NIL at the moment.

that's what you ASSumed, Tyler.

and why do you think the Pitt coach, who is mad as hell about this, called the USC coach about this? Are you smart enough to connect the dots, Tyler? I don't think you are!
No, it's literally what YOU wrote in the title of this thread.
It's a technicality, but he's right, your title is wrong.

Well, you’re kidding yourself if the school/coach isn’t at least somewhat aware of this, they’re not going to offer NIL contracts to everyone unless they know the school wants a specific player.

And the lack of regulation is the problem here. In many ways, NIL has simply brought to life many of the deals that were likely happening under the table, albeit with smaller amounts of cash involved. But previously, there was on paper at least, penalties for tampering under the old set of rules. There are no such rules in place regarding NIL at the moment.
It's out of control, you don't like it, and neither do the coaches and universities ~ too bad, stop crying, deal with it or get left behind. F-ing control freaks need to get over this; it's not going away. Your boys are now men, and making decisions (perhaps with their agent) without your input.

This. The coaches know who is going to pony up the money. The coaches let those guys know who they want, not the other way around.

NCAA really messed this up by making this a free for all. At the end of the day, whoever spends their money the wisest will win. IMO, you are tapping out alot of your resources on one guy with zero guarantees he doesnt get in trouble, have an attitude or even be worth the money on the field.

Reactions: Franisdaman

original.jpg

I seem to recall seeing an article a week or so ago that said a collective "bought" a players NIL. This may be the best way to handle this going forward.

On the surface it would be interesting. Say a collective pays Joe QB $1M for his NIL. The collective now owns the NIL and can set up or negotiate any deals that come the players way and keep the money within the collective. Example - Nike wants to feature Joe QB in a commercial and pays $1.5M. Joe QB gets nothing more and the collective profits $500k, to use for future players.

The more interesting piece to this is if the collective owns the NIL of Joe QB no other school can come offering a big NIL deal to the player to transfer, they would have to buy out the collective and why would the collective sell the NIL rights and lose a player. This may be the way to lock players to "your" school and if for some reason the collective wants to let the player transfer they can sell his NIL to the new school for a huge profit to be used on future players.

Reactions: bumpstock
I seem to recall seeing an article a week or so ago that said a collective "bought" a players NIL. This may be the best way to handle this going forward.

On the surface it would be interesting. Say a collective pays Joe QB $1M for his NIL. The collective now owns the NIL and can set up or negotiate any deals that come the players way and keep the money within the collective. Example - Nike wants to feature Joe QB in a commercial and pays $1.5M. Joe QB gets nothing more and the collective profits $500k, to use for future players.

The more interesting piece to this is if the collective owns the NIL of Joe QB no other school can come offering a big NIL deal to the player to transfer, they would have to buy out the collective and why would the collective sell the NIL rights and lose a player. This may be the way to lock players to "your" school and if for some reason the collective wants to let the player transfer they can sell his NIL to the new school for a huge profit to be used on future players.
It's more likely that Joe QB's agent wrote the contract so that:

(a) There's an escape clause for Joe QB;
(2) The current NIL Collective school would have "the opportunity" to match, or exceed, any future offer.

This wouldn't "lock" the player to your school's collective, but would allow your school's collective to match, or exceed future offers.

It's out of control, you don't like it, and neither do the coaches and universities ~ too bad, stop crying, deal with it or get left behind. F-ing control freaks need to get over this; it's not going away. Your boys are now men, and making decisions (perhaps with their agent) without your input.
I feel like you’re misreading my posts. I have been consistent about being in favor of NIL deals for the players - it strikes me as a fair compromise to get compensation for the players. What I do have an issue with is the utter lack of regulation here, where it appears that conversations were being had between players and the USC NIL people well BEFORE e actually entered the transfer portal. That’s the sort of thing that should be prohibited.

I feel like you’re misreading my posts. I have been consistent about being in favor of NIL deals for the players - it strikes me as a fair compromise to get compensation for the players. What I do have an issue with is the utter lack of regulation here, where it appears that conversations were being had between players and the USC NIL people well BEFORE e actually entered the transfer portal. That’s the sort of thing that should be prohibited.
I'm not misreading your posts, but you're ignoring mine.

"...it appears that..." ~ WTF does that mean? It appears to me that you have Zero Facts, yet buy the hype.

If true:

(a) Why should it be prohibited?
(b) And by whom would it be prohibited?

SCOTUS already told you (9-0) they'll crush any attempt to infringe on the player's rights to enter into private contracts, but you (and Pat Narduzzi) keep beating that dead horse.

Don’t see anyone blaming Addison, and I agree; no one should point any fingers at him, he has a limited time to make as much money as possible with his skill set.

Frankly, he and others may have a limited opportunity to seize large cash payouts before some guard rails are put up around this NIL situation. These types of deals will raise the eyebrows of lawmakers, anti trust issues, etc.
If he broke the rules, he's to blame as much as anyone. Get real...

I'm not misreading your posts, but you're ignoring mine.

"...it appears that..." ~ WTF does that mean? It appears to me that you have Zero Facts, yet buy the hype.

If true:

(a) Why should it be prohibited?
(b) And by whom would it be prohibited?

SCOTUS already told you (9-0) they'll crush any attempt to infringe on the player's rights to enter into private contracts, but you (and Pat Narduzzi) keep beating that dead horse.
Again. Not disputing his right to enter into these NIL deals, just disputing that schools or their NIL collective can reach out to a player while he’s enrolled at another school. That’s something that IS doable. Every professional league has rule that bar teams from negotiating contracts with teams already under contract elsewhere. This is the same concept.

I mentioned this in another similar thread here, but I only see one path whereby college athletics as we traditionally think they should operate will survive the new wild west of NIL. D1 schools will have to band together to agree to make it a condition of playing at their institutions that all athletes will have to agree to forgo NIL deals during their time as active players at their respective D1 schools. If they don't like that arrangement they are free to take their talents elsewhere, including any professional leagues, including the NBA & NFL. Athletes that violate that contracted agreement would be declared ineligible and schools that fail to monitor and let the bag man money flow will be subject to strict sanctions, up to and including the so called death penalty.

If we continue down this current path, it will most certainly end D1 men's football and basketball. The 90%+ of the NCAA D1 schools that cannot possibly make the kind of NIL offers we are already seeing popping up everywhere will exit this competition due to both financial constraints and the eventual huge disparity in competitiveness between the various D1 programs. The dozen or so institutions who are crazy enough to stay in this financial arms race will have to pony up more and more $$$ each season or risk losing their athletes to transfer to the other big money institutions. TV viewing audiences will plummet because of the loss of school participation and all of their associated alumni will find better things to do with their time and money. That will result in far less TV revenue from those contracts for those that do hang on, which will begin to starve the members still participating. Championships will become far less notable because of the limited amount of overall competition and the seasonal matchups will be forced, repetitive and completely lack any historical tradition.

I'm not against NIL in theory, but what we are seeing now is not even close to what it should be. This is payola, pay for play, legitimized bag man offers cloaked as legitimate NIL contracts. If a solution isn't found to address this very soon, the golden goose will lie dead soon enough, and it's a damn shame that we are at this moment in time. It was a nice run.

Again. Not disputing his right to enter into these NIL deals, just disputing that schools or their NIL collective can reach out to a player while he’s enrolled at another school. That’s something that IS doable. Every professional league has rule that bar teams from negotiating contracts with teams already under contract elsewhere. This is the same concept.

No, it is not the same concept.

ISN'T doable.

The athlete's contract with the college (Letter of Intent) is separate from all other contracts!

Every professional athlete can enter a record contract, movie contract, and book contract without the consent of the MLB, NBA, or NFL, right? Yes, because it's a separate contract.

Now, do you understand? I know you don't like it, but do you understand the difference?

I mentioned this in another similar thread here, but I only see one path whereby college athletics as we traditionally think they should operate will survive the new wild west of NIL. D1 schools will have to band together to agree to make it a condition of playing at their institutions that all athletes will have to agree to forgo NIL deals during their time as active players at their respective D1 schools. If they don't like that arrangement they are free to take their talents elsewhere, including any professional leagues, including the NBA & NFL. Athletes that violate that contracted agreement would be declared ineligible and schools that fail to monitor and let the bag man money flow will be subject to strict sanctions, up to and including the so called death penalty.

If we continue down this current path, it will most certainly end D1 men's football and basketball. The 90%+ of the NCAA D1 schools that cannot possibly make the kind of NIL offers we are already seeing popping up everywhere will exit this competition due to both financial constraints and the eventual huge disparity in competitiveness between the various D1 programs. The dozen or so institutions who are crazy enough to stay in this financial arms race will have to pony up more and more $$$ each season or risk losing their athletes to transfer to the other big money institutions. TV viewing audiences will plummet because of the loss of school participation and all of their associated alumni will find better things to do with their time and money. That will result in far less TV revenue from those contracts for those that do hang on, which will begin to starve the members still participating. Championships will become far less notable because of the limited amount of overall competition and the seasonal matchups will be forced, repetitive and completely lack any historical tradition.

I'm not against NIL in theory, but what we are seeing now is not even close to what it should be. This is payola, pay for play, legitimized bag man offers cloaked as legitimate NIL contracts. If a solution isn't found to address this very soon, the golden goose will lie dead soon enough, and it's a damn shame that we are at this moment in time. It was a nice run.
gheers-people-presented-information-contradicts-beliefs-93facbf2f898641f-ecd638bc6c198d2f.jpg

ISN'T doable.

The athlete's contract with the college (Letter of Intent) is separate from all other contracts!

Every professional athlete can enter a record contract, movie contract, and book contract without the consent of the MLB, NBA, or NFL, right? Yes, because it's a separate contract.

Now, do you understand? I know you don't like it, but do you understand the difference?
For the NFL, if player X is under contract with the Bears, the Packers cannot, either as an organization or anyone representing them, negotiate a new contract with that player unless It’s during free agency and the player is a restricted/unrestricted free agent. Similarly, for college athletics, if player Y is on scholarship and enrolled with Pittsburgh, USC, either as a university or anyone connected to them, should not be able to negotiate an NIL with that player, unless that player has entered the transfer portal and communicated their interest with the school about transferring there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT