ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Taylor nails it. USC Tampered & Offered Pitt WR Jordan Addison Massive NIL Deal BEFORE he entered Transfer Portal. Over $3M Plus a House

For the NFL, if player X is under contract with the Bears, the Packers cannot, either as an organization or anyone representing them, negotiate a new contract with that player unless It’s during free agency and the player is a restricted/unrestricted free agent. Similarly, for college athletics, if player Y is on scholarship and enrolled with Pittsburgh, USC, either as a university or anyone connected to them, should not be able to negotiate an NIL with that player, unless that player has entered the transfer portal and communicated their interest with the school about transferring there.
Somebody else needs to teach the sober_teacher. He/she is going to drive me to drinking.

But to try to answer your question(s):

(a) the NFL doesn't have "a portal," and
(b) the NIL Collective is not connected to the university (even though you think/believe it is). It's NOT LEGALLY connected to the university, and that's all that matters! In fact, they do everything LEGALLY to ensure that they're not connected to the university

1mp7nk.jpg

Last edited:
Somebody else needs to teach the sober_teacher. He/she is going to drive me to drinking.

But to try to answer your question(s):

(a) the NFL doesn't have "a portal," and
(b) the NIL Collective is not connected to the university (even though you think/believe it is). It's NOT LEGALLY connected to the university, and that's all that matters! In fact, they do everything LEGALLY to ensure that they're not connected to the university
No, the NFL doesnt have a portal, they have free agency. For all intents and purposes its the professional equivalent. youre parsing VERY thin legal hairs to me, that will be fascinating to see how they play out if any of this ever comes to court in the future. soon we will have situations where many, if not most or all schools will have NIL collectives associated with them, funded by local businesses/alums/donors. While you’re right, they may not technically be connected to the university, do you really believe there aren’t behind the scenes conversations going on between the collective and the university? Would this NIL collective have extended an offer to this Pitt receiver, if they didn’t know that Riley would want him at USC?

Well, you’re kidding yourself if the school/coach isn’t at least somewhat aware of this, they’re not going to offer NIL contracts to everyone unless they know the school wants a specific player.

And the lack of regulation is the problem here. In many ways, NIL has simply brought to life many of the deals that were likely happening under the table, albeit with smaller amounts of cash involved. But previously, there was on paper at least, penalties for tampering under the old set of rules. There are no such rules in place regarding NIL at the moment.
I humbly submit this post for a WOB ruling.....

No, the NFL doesnt have a portal, they have free agency. For all intents and purposes its the professional equivalent. youre parsing VERY thin legal hairs to me, that will be fascinating to see how they play out if any of this ever comes to court in the future. soon we will have situations where many, if not most or all schools will have NIL collectives associated with them, funded by local businesses/alums/donors. While you’re right, they may not technically be connected to the university, do you really believe there aren’t behind the scenes conversations going on between the collective and the university? Would this NIL collective have extended an offer to this Pitt receiver, if they didn’t know that Riley would want him at USC?
News Flash: 9-0 U.S. Supreme Court decisions are not "...VERY thin legal hairs..."

It doesn't matter what I believe, or what you believe. What matters is: was it illegal?

Please tell me you aren't considering inserting ethics into college football recruiting, because I wouldn't know where to begin with that subject.

News Flash: 9-0 U.S. Supreme Court decisions are not "...VERY thin legal hairs..."

It doesn't matter what I believe, or what you believe. What matters is: was it illegal?

Please tell me you aren't considering inserting ethics into college football recruiting, because I wouldn't know where to begin with that subject.

The SC decision was not over what we’re seeing now though.

If NIL is totally separate, and the NCAA can't do anything about it, then college sports has ended as we know it.

And many persons, myself included, will move on to something else. But I think something CAN be done with eligibility regarding academics and transfers. Sure, pay the kid his NIL money. But he can't transfer or he'll lose 2 years of eligibility. If he graduates and wants to transfer--well, get rid of that, too, and say college sports are only for undergrads. And make them STUDENTS again! Stricter grade-points, stricter class requirements (remember the Georgia "Concepts of Basketball" class farce?)

A sea-change is needed. One has occurred, making them even less of collegiate athletes and even more professional. It MUST be swung in the other direction, or college football and basketball are basically doomed

Can the university president stop Addison from signing a $3M movie deal with MGM? Can the university president stop him from signing a $3M record deal with Capital Records? Can the university president stop him from signing a $3M book deal with Simon & Schuster? The answer is: No.

The contract between Addison & The USC NIL Collective(s) is not connected to the university!

For example, if one of the terms of the hypothetical movie contract between Addison & MGM required that Addison be a full time student in good standing at USC, then Addison would need to do that in order to get his movie contract.

People need to stop "pulling" the schools into the contract between the Individual and the Collective(s).

One last point: The NCAA didn't let this happen. The NCAA was sued, lost the lawsuit, and has been castrated by the players. Schools are not going to get involved in this because they'll be sued, lose, and be castrated by the players.
My point is that admission to the university and credit for prior credits earned supersedes all. If a player isn't admitted for grades too low or he does not have enough credits under NCAA or conference rules then NIL is useless.

My point is that admission to the university and credit for prior credits earned supersedes all. If a player isn't admitted for grades too low or he does not have enough credits under NCAA or conference rules then NIL is useless.
Since the NCAA has no choice in the NIL matter, it can only exert power in areas like eligibility. And it should, otherwise NIL will reduce college football and basketball to farcical proportions. College for athletics is farcical enough as it is! What choice does the NCAA have but to make them actual STUDENTS again, basically tied to a single university program for their entire careers, NIL or not? NIL money and open transferring threatens the entire competitive fabric of the sport

Reactions: DewHawk
All that NIL $$$ buys some "mighty fine" tutors; and best of luck with your useless new rules & regulations ~ five star dunce caps have been circumventing that for decades.

Since the NCAA has no choice in the NIL matter, it can only exert power in areas like eligibility. And it should, otherwise NIL will reduce college football and basketball to farcical proportions. College for athletics is farcical enough as it is! What choice does the NCAA have but to make them actual STUDENTS again, basically tied to a single university program for their entire careers, NIL or not? NIL money and open transferring threatens the entire competitive fabric of the sport
The NCAA has already "passed the problem" on to the Conferences. Are you suggesting that all the conferences are going to "get together," and form an academic alliance? No.

Some might, but they'll become "the inferior football conferences" with two stars comprising their first team.

All that NIL $$$ buys some "mighty fine" tutors; and best of luck with your useless new rules & regulations ~ five star dunce caps have been circumventing that for decades.
Not to argue, but the admission standards and the credits to participate are already in place.

Not to argue, but the admission standards and the credits to participate are already in place.
It's not an argument, friend.

I agree with you, but you know how easy it is already is to get around the current standards & credits. No NIL Prospect is going to waste his time (and, $$$) with any stupid college/conference "high standards" when there are plenty of colleges/conferences with "low standards?" NIL Prospects aren't there for the academics.

Reactions: cmhawks99
It was a "legal grenade" that will kill any future case that comes close to it.

That said, somebody stupid will try.

Where I disagree with you in the legal case is that it didn’t, and shouldn’t have ever gone to the Supreme Court. For some reason Emmert and the NCAA decided to take a terrible case, that even Barta would have settled, and turned it into an all or nothing case that everyone KNEW they were going to lose.

There is, or was at least the possibility of a middle ground wherein the NCAA could maintain some oversight of the NIL concept rather than the Wild West we are looking at today.

I love college athletics but it can’t possibly survive what we’re seeing out there today.

You know, this kid and this sport don't owe you a damn thing. If a booster or booster group wants to pay a player, that's their own damn business. We don't wring our hands over any other college kid that finds financial success while in college, or decides to transfer to a better school for them, so you should treat this the same way. Your (and my) fandom doesn't and shouldn't factor in at all here, sorry.

We have to accept that this is the new way of doing business now, and as a fan, if you have the financial means, and if you want to see your team succeed, donate to the new NIL collective once its built. Or find a new team. Or stop watching the sport. Your choice.

Hang on just a second…..I don’t begrudge your opinion nor even find it horrific per se; but I detect what you are a really suggesting is some Iowa fans are concerned or “should be” concerned they can’t “compete” in the new landscape and I assure you that won’t be an issue for us.

Where I disagree with you in the legal case is that it didn’t, and shouldn’t have ever gone to the Supreme Court. For some reason Emmert and the NCAA decided to take a terrible case, that even Barta would have settled, and turned it into an all or nothing case that everyone KNEW they were going to lose.

There is, or was at least the possibility of a middle ground wherein the NCAA could maintain some oversight of the NIL concept rather than the Wild West we are looking at today.

I love college athletics but it can’t possibly survive what we’re seeing out there today.
Well, where you're wrong is that it did, and should have gone to the Supreme Court, and it didn't matter if it did so in 2021, today, or ten years from today.

The NCAA, and the Universities were wrong. The athletes were right.

SCOTUS made it perfectly clear that there was no need for the athlete(s) to compromise. Their chains are broken, and the athletes have been set free.

It has, and will change college athletics forever. Aren't you glad you live in the free country?

Well, where you're wrong is that it did, and should have gone to the Supreme Court, and it didn't matter if it did so in 2021, today, or ten years from today.

The NCAA, and the Universities were wrong. The athletes were right.

SCOTUS made it perfectly clear that there was no need for the athlete(s) to compromise. Their chains are broken, and the athletes have been set free.

It has, and will change college athletics forever. Aren't you glad you live in the free country?

You seem to be under the belief that I disagree with you on the case. I don’t. It was correctly decided, the players were. The reason I said it shouldn’t have gone to the Supreme Court is because the case was that clear that the outdated and absurd stance the NCAA took was doomed from the beginning. Emmert and co would have been better served figuring out a way to make the college athletics model and NIL work together.

You seem to be under the belief that I disagree with you on the case. I don’t. It was correctly decided, the players were. The reason I said it shouldn’t have gone to the Supreme Court is because the case was that clear that the outdated and absurd stance the NCAA took was doomed from the beginning. Emmert and co would have been better served figuring out a way to make the college athletics model and NIL work together.
You, and others like you, care about the "...college athletics model..."

NIL athletes, their agents, and NIL Collectives don't care about the "college athletics model," and don't need to compromise anything.

You, the universities, the AD's, HC's, etc. keep searching for something that the NIL athletes are never going to agree to. Why? Because they don't have to ~ they won.

Sorry to kill your hopes, but you're wasting your time hoping.

Old game is over. New game, new rules.

If it's any consolation, I still hate the Designated Hitter; make the Pitcher stand in the batter's box, I say.

NIL athletes, their agents, and NIL Collectives don't care about the "college athletics model," and don't need to compromise anything.

You, the universities, the AD's, HC's, etc. keep searching for something that the NIL athletes are never going to agree to. Why? Because they don't have to ~ they won.

If it's any consolation, I still hate the Designated Hitter; make the Pitcher stand in the batter's box, I say.

i don’t disagree with your larger point here. My point is simply that the NCAA lost a battle before it was ever fought, and seemingly never tried to find a different path. In general I like the basic concept behind NIL. It allows athletes to get paid, while freeing universities, most of whom could never have been able to pay athletes fairly without dismantling most non-revenue sports that are offered. What I was afraid of, and what is actually happening is a completely unregulated marketplace that will consume itself in the long run if a middle ground can’t be found.

i don’t disagree with your larger point here. My point is simply that the NCAA lost a battle before it was ever fought, and seemingly never tried to find a different path. In general I like the basic concept behind NIL. It allows athletes to get paid, while freeing universities, most of whom could never have been able to pay athletes fairly without dismantling most non-revenue sports that are offered. What I was afraid of, and what is actually happening is a completely unregulated marketplace that will consume itself in the long run if a middle ground can’t be found.
johngreenleafwhittier1-2x.jpg

Reactions: cmhawks99

They did win...for now. This could easily blow up the sport and kill the golden goose. A "market correction" due to regionalization of the sport or general waning interest due to lack of parity is not unlikely. We've already seen that there are a subset of programs that are willing to push the envelope much further than most chasing the almighty win. They already dominate the field at the national level. I'm seeing more and more people jump on board the apathy train with respect to the NC. With the alliance and NIL, we may see college football split. If it does, those living high on the hog are going to find out that, for many of us, it's the name on the front of the jersey that matters.

This could very easily become a case of "be careful what you wish for".

Reactions: sober_teacher
Those numbers are on that website. The number of schools operating in the black only ranges from 21-29, and the median amount of net revenue is comparable to 2020.

I never said scholarships should be the only things they get. They already get much more than that, which I listed in my first comment, and likely forgot some things. The University of Texas did a study back in 2010 that determined that the average division 1 athlete, not just football players, receives the equivalent of over $50,000 of benefits over their 4-year career compared to that of the general student populace. Again, I'm all for reasonable, regulated NIL, but the narrative that the athletes were living off peanuts while the big bad NCAA exploited them is nonsensical.
Being a division 1 athlete is a full time job, on top of being in school full time. For the kind of money a star player makes for a school, $12,500 a year is a joke.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Being a division 1 athlete is a full time job, on top of being in school full time. For the kind of money a star player makes for a school, $12,500 a year is a joke.
That's an average number, for ALL D1 athletes, not just football and basketball. You can bet there's others receiving far more.

It's tough, but it's not the complete travesty people lead you to believe. Again, these guys get stipends, the best housing, food, tutoring, and all kinds of other preferential treatment compared to any other student on campus. On top of that, even without

Excuse me if I feel less sorry for them than the people working part-time jobs while going to school AND having to pay for it all out of pocket.

Everyone pissing and moaning about the "poor athletes" who receive tens of thousands of dollars worth of compensation in:

-Free tuition
-Free books and other supplies
-Free/preferential housing
-Free and better meals than the rest of the student populace
-Free tutoring and preferential treatment when registering for classes
-Free access to nutrition and training healthcare
-Exclusive access to the best athletic facilities in the nation, maybe even in the world
-Monthly stipends to offset the time they don't have for a job
-Hundreds of other smaller benefits like the constant free clothing, shoes, etc that comes with being a D1 athlete

Those people are getting exactly what they asked for. And the hundreds of thousands of athletes across the country who simply wanted to play the sport they loved while they went to school, or to turn said sport into a college degree they otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford, will be ****ed over in favor of the roughly 2% of football and basketball players who are making absolute bank off of NIL.

If things don't get fixed, not only is it going to kill college football, but collegiate athletics altogether.
the narrative has been driven and pushed by journalists and former players. guilt driven woke fearing journalists whose jobs and media access rely on appeasing athletes.

What's interesting about some of this to me is that USC appears to be getting as many 4 and 5 star recruits as they want right now. Why would people be shelling out that kind of dough for one guy?

What's interesting about some of this to me is that USC appears to be getting as many 4 and 5 star recruits as they want right now. Why would people be shelling out that kind of dough for one guy?
Veterans always command higher pay than rookies, right?

"Former Pittsburg star..."

When did he leave Pitt? Last I heard he was in the Portal, and undecided about staying, or going.

i guess he could return to Pitt but I think he's looking for at least 2 things:

* A stud QB who can get him the ball (USC & Bama can do that; not sure about Pitt)

* A huge NIL deal (Pitt tried to match USC but....)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT