ADVERTISEMENT

AAU Coach: "I think Patrick is interested in seeing if there might be some other options out there."

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Is Patrick going to Iowa? Highly likely.

Interesting article, nonetheless, published 5:13 p.m. CT May 8, 2017, from Hawkcentral:

McCaffery is 6-foot-8 and weighs about 170 pounds right now,

Three weeks ago, Patrick rocketed 37 spots to from 60th to 23rd in Rivals’ Class of 2019 rankings.

McCaffery plans to attend the prestigious National Basketball Players Association Top 100 camp in June.

Patrick is still uncommitted. Arizona sent him a letter last year, but nothing since. Iowa is his only offer. He's on target to be a potential McDonald's All-American down the line, but he's also a coach's kid, so should they even bother?

"Everybody just kind of gives him the benefit of the doubt, like, ‘Hey, Connor’s going to Iowa (Connor committed to Iowa early his sophomore year). Fran (McCaffery) is the coach at Iowa. Where else would (Patrick) want to go?’" AAU coach Greg Stephen said. "At the same time, I think Patrick is interested in seeing if there might be some other options out there. I don’t think he’s made up his mind that Iowa’s where he wants to go, but at the same time, I don’t see him going anywhere else.

"The fun thing to me about Patrick is he’s really, really good, and he’s just scratching the surface of where he could be in a year or so. So it’s crazy to me."

College coaches can't call prospects directly until June 15 after the prospect’s sophomore year. That’s six weeks away for Patrick.

FULL STORY: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ase-patrick-mccafferys-recruitment/312852001/

Last edited:
Reactions: UNIowaHawk
So … does Iowa have any competition for the meteoric riser yet?

"No.
I don’t think I’ll get anything," McCaffery laughed. "But I don’t know."

Last edited:
I find it somewhat strange that his AAU coach would say this ... "At the same time, I think Patrick is interested in seeing if there might be some other options out there.

If this is true....the fact that he said it at all. I would think that sort of thing (if true) would be kept sort of in house...like the McCaffery house.

Until Patrick starts taking multiple visits...I'm not worried that son will be playing for Dad.

That would be like the most Iowa thing ever. Finally have a coach employed by the University who has a child who is a high level athlete nationally, and he chooses somewhere else, LOL!

Yes don't get me started. Us long-time Iowa fans are used to have the football yanked away right before Charlie Brown kicks it. I can't imagine Patrick playing anywhere but for his Dad, but at this point in life nothing surprises me.

It's usually Kansas or North Carolina that come in and get Iowa kids lol

I would encourage everyone to read the entire article. Patrick more than likely is coming to Iowa to play with his dad and brother. But it is interesting what Patrick and his AAU coach are saying. Would coaches dare call Fran for permission to talk to Patrick? Will Patrick keep his options open? I guess we shall see.

That would be a swift kick in the gonads if he went elsewhere :mad:

Is it likely Patrick is going to Iowa? Yes.

Is Patrick nonetheless keeping his eyes and his options open? Looks like it.

I wonder what Fran thinks of Patrick's AAU coach; some interesting quotes from him, to say the least.

So … does Iowa have any competition for the meteoric riser yet?

"No.
I don’t think I’ll get anything," McCaffery laughed. "But I don’t know."

It would be nice if Patrick was like Wieskamp and state he is 100% committed to Iowa; but it just seems, based on what he and his AAU coach are saying, that Patrick is keeping his options open; options are good (for him); bad for us Hawk fans

I find it somewhat strange that his AAU coach would say this ... "At the same time, I think Patrick is interested in seeing if there might be some other options out there.

If this is true....the fact that he said it at all. I would think that sort of thing (if true) would be kept sort of in house...like the McCaffery house.

Until Patrick starts taking multiple visits...I'm not worried that son will be playing for Dad.

I wonder if his AAU coach said this based on conversations with Patrick; BUT I wonder if Fran is happy he said this to the press, too

Kids tend to be trusting, at first, at least. Patrick probably talks to his AAU coach about a lot of things; I just wonder if the AAU coach was supposed to keep his mouth shut on this topic......

I have a feeling that Fran & Margaret know full well whats going on with their son....especially considering the only reported contact was a letter from Arizona. IF...Patrick was keeping his options "open" I would think he would have a few offers by now & pending visits. Could it be that other D1 schools don't want to waste their time? Ya I think so.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Fran & Margaret know full well whats going on with their son....especially considering the only reported contact was a letter from Arizona. IF...Patrick was keeping his options "open" I would think he would have a few offers by now & pending visits. Could it be that others D1 school don't want to waste their time? Ya I think so.

i think you are right; just interesting hearing quotes from Patrick and his AAU coach where I think it is clear nothing has been ruled out; I think IF Patrick were 100% committed to playing with his dad and brother, he would come out and say that; but I would imagine he is a VERY HEAVY LEAN to Iowa right now, obviously

i think you are right; just interesting hearing quotes from Patrick and his AAU coach where I think it is clear nothing has been ruled out; I think IF Patrick were 100% committed to playing with his dad and brother, he would come out and say that; but I would imagine he is a VERY HEAVY LEAN to Iowa right now, obviously

Fran & Margaret know exactly what is going on with their son.

Probably wants to get some free visits in and take in some experiences.

Maybe do a little recon on the way other coaches recruit and raise his recruiting profile and ultimately get more exposure for the program.

Being recruited by blue bloods could likely help him get in tbe McDonald's game too.

Lots of reasons not to publicly commit right now.

If you thought you had seen all of Frans mad faces I think he would break out a new one if Patrick choose a different school.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
has Patrick publicly said he wants to play for his dad and with his brother? if so, great!

this article makes it seem like he is keeping his options open.

I'm guessing the AAU coach is just looking for attention. Nebulous statements offered for the purpose of creating a story that doesn't exist.

The reality is Patrick McCaffery is 99.99% likely to choose to play for his dad. I'm sure he's had thoughts of what it would be like to go elsewhere and not do what others are expecting him to--the whole "well, gee, I don't know, maybe," tongue-in-cheek coyness. But if I had to venture a guess it's very likely he's already told himself "yeah, there's no way I could play for anyone but my dad." True, stranger things have happened, but at this point, nothing to see here.

Probably wants to get some free visits in and take in some experiences.

Maybe do a little recon on the way other coaches recruit and raise his recruiting profile and ultimately get more exposure for the program.

Being recruited by blue bloods could likely help him get in tbe McDonald's game too.

Lots of reasons not to publicly commit right now.

^^This^^

Reactions: DanL53
Given how fluid the fates of coaches are these days, I think it's prudent to wait a bit before committing to a school under the assumption your dad will still be coaching there for the duration. No guarantee that any coach will be there for all 4 years, though.

Given how fluid the fates of coaches are these days, I think it's prudent to wait a bit before committing to a school under the assumption your dad will still be coaching there for the duration. No guarantee that any coach will be there for all 4 years, though.

in general i can see your point, however a verbal is meaningless until a signed LOI. If Patrick would verbal tomorrow and Fran subsequently took another job elsewhere..there is nothing that would prevent Patrick from backing off a verbal to Iowa....and I would suspect he would.

so lets get right to it....based on his AAU coaches comment that Patrick is interested in seeing if they are other options out there & that Patrick has not given a verbal (at least to the media and therefore reported to the fan base)...some are wondering whats up?

I believe Patrick has verballed (to his Dad & Mother) .. doesnt mean he is obligated to inform anyone else or when he does.

I'm a little confused why his AAU coach said what he said. I'm not sure that its proper unless such coach is directly involved in the decision process.. In this case...it seems the only people that are directly involved and the only ones that count are his parents & the kid.

Last edited:
He hasn't committed because Barta might get fired because of what's going on now and his dads worried that the new AD might start clean slate all sports so Fran could be gone before Patrick even steps on campus (sarcasm)

I think Patrick likes to mess with people a little bit. He has a sarcastic humorous side to him. Really good kid and I am quite sure we will enjoy watching him in the black and gold.

I think Patrick likes to mess with people a little bit. He has a sarcastic humorous side to him. Really good kid and I am quite sure we will enjoy watching him in the black and gold.

its weird reading the article; both Patrick and the AAU coach say one thing (he is for sure going to Iowa) and then right away say something contradictory

It would be shocking if he did not go to Iowa; I am going to be interested in seeing who joins him

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT