ADVERTISEMENT

Abilene Christian

Sounds like he should play.

The Wildcats' top priority this offseason was finding a replacement for 2019 starting quarterback Luke Anthony, who left the program to compete for the starting job at Louisiana Tech as a grad transfer. Instead, it appears Dorrel has settled on a pair of quarterbacks to start the season in dual-threats Sema'J Davis and Iowa transfer Peyton Mansell.

Davis is the more experienced of the two signal-callers and will likely get the start. He had mixed results in a reserve role as a passer last season, completing 59 percent of his passes for 388 yards with three touchdowns and four interceptions. However, Davis really shined as a runner, adding 621 yards (6.1 ypc) and four scores on the ground in 2019. Mansell appeared in five games for Iowa in 2018, completing 5-of-8 pass attempts for 83 yards, to go along with 31 rushing yards and a touchdown on eight carries. Both quarterbacks will play on Saturday, and both are dynamic athletes that could prove to be a handful for the UTEP defense.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Abilene Christian lost 13-17. But that's pretty good, I think, considering it was their first game. This was UTEP's 3rd game. And at home

Mansell went 13/20 for 190 yards. No TDs and no pics.
The other QB went 1/2 for 7 yards.
Good for PM. Hope he gets a real shot to play. Is this the same school his wife is at, or is she somewhere close by? had to be a tough deal for them with him in Iowa, and not playing.

I watched some of the game. PM looked okay, he’s smallish but a gamer. Not afraid to tuck and run. Arm strength appear good for the short throws, I didn’t see any deep passes.

Tough situation for PM. Transfers to get some playing time, and his first season is limited to 3 games due to COVID. In retrospect, it would have been better for him to finish his education at Iowa, while having an outside chance of some playing time his junior year, then be a graduate transfer for '21. Of course, I don't know him personally so maybe he has no regrets. I wish him well.

Reactions: NI hawk
Good for PM. Hope he gets a real shot to play. Is this the same school his wife is at, or is she somewhere close by? had to be a tough deal for them with him in Iowa, and not playing.
Idk if she's still there but she was at baylor playing softball.

Tough situation for PM. Transfers to get some playing time, and his first season is limited to 3 games due to COVID. In retrospect, it would have been better for him to finish his education at Iowa, while having an outside chance of some playing time his junior year, then be a graduate transfer for '21. Of course, I don't know him personally so maybe he has no regrets. I wish him well.
I think he hoped to get some PT and a hoped to see a little more of the MRS. with his wife going to school at Baylor......

Reactions: WSC72
I watched some of the game. PM looked okay, he’s smallish but a gamer. Not afraid to tuck and run. Arm strength appear good for the short throws, I didn’t see any deep passes.
He threw three long ball completions. All very nice throws. Another play he had a scramble for 13 yard gain I think. His rushing yards are low because i believe he got sacked twice and got tripped up once at the line of scrimmage while scrambling. It was nice to see a QB tuck it and run when the heat was on. He also had a three or four yard gain on a 4th and 1 QB sneak. Nate taught him well.

Last edited:
Reactions: pink shizzle

I think they have 8 games (not 3) scheduled. Next game as mentioned by someone else is Oct. 3rd at Army - believe CBSSN is televising that game.

I think they have 8 games (not 3) scheduled. Next game as mentioned by someone else is Oct. 3rd at Army - believe CBSSN is televising that game.
Abilene Christian's site is showing 8 games scheduled:

Air Force is playing 2 games against Army and Navy:

OH. For some reason espn.com only has them listed for 3 games. That makes me feel better for PM now. Hopefully all of their games will get played.

ADVERTISEMENT