ADVERTISEMENT

AC broke, Boyz. Got a question for you HVAC expert want of bees

FlickShagwell

HR Legend
Jun 16, 2003
Omaha, NE
AC was working just fine through the morning. I have a vent right by my desk and felt cold air right up until it started to feel like room temperature air coming out. There wasn’t any sound or anything like that when it broke, at least that I noticed. Wife just got home a bit ago and I went out to the AC unit behind the house and had her switch it on. There’s definitely an electrical whir that comes from it, so it’s getting power, but the fan doesn’t move an inch. Got a guy coming out tomorrow to look at it.

How much lube am I going to need for my ass? Is this a thousands of dollars deal, or a few hundred?

AC was working just fine through the morning. I have a vent right by my desk and felt cold air right up until it started to feel like room temperature air coming out. There wasn’t any sound or anything like that when it broke, at least that I noticed. Wife just got home a bit ago and I went out to the AC unit behind the house and had her switch it on. There’s definitely an electrical whir that comes from it, so it’s getting power, but the fan doesn’t move an inch. Got a guy coming out tomorrow to look at it.

How much lube am I going to need for my ass? Is this a thousands of dollars deal, or a few hundred?
Probably a capacitor. Parts about 8 bucks and can be done in 5 minutes. But I'm sure it will cost a couple hundred for the service call.

Texting with my hvac guy - a buddy of a guy I know who’s a contractor. Does this sound right to you guys?

Him: I presume it's just a capacitor I don't believe I would run that motor of the capacitors bad

Me: Ok. Should I turn it off until you get out here tomorrow?

Him: yes I would. Don’t want to burn it up.

Am I getting good advice here?

Yes, that’s good advice. Mine went out a couple weeks ago and my neighbor used to be an hoax guy. It was the capacitor. Luckily he keeps extras on hand for time like these. $8 part but would have been a $300 service call. Case of beer and he was sassified!!!!!

Probably $90 per hour. I’d say seriously tree fifty.

edit: You are scum of the earth if you just have a dirty coil.

9128976510a5ce701ed9846b894b44c1.gif

Texting with my hvac guy - a buddy of a guy I know who’s a contractor. Does this sound right to you guys?

Him: I presume it's just a capacitor I don't believe I would run that motor of the capacitors bad

Me: Ok. Should I turn it off until you get out here tomorrow?

Him: yes I would. Don’t want to burn it up.

Am I getting good advice here?
Put a box fan on top of your unit to blow air over the coils tonight. It will cool the air enough to keep you cool overnight. My FIL just did this a couple weeks ago and I couldn’t believe it worked. You’ll look and feel like a redneck but you’ll be a comfortable redneck.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
ADVERTISEMENT