ADVERTISEMENT

AC/DC or ZZ Top?

AC/DC or ZZ Top?

• AC/DC

Votes: 90 70.3%
  • ZZ Top

Votes: 38 29.7%

• Total voters
I like the guitar sounds that ZZ Top makes more than AC lightening bolt DC.

spin-bobby.gif

AC/DC with Bon is my favorite rock group ever so I can't vote.
Way up there for me for sure.

Went to see AC/DC with Bon Scott in Omaha in September of 1978 (only time I saw them with Bon who died in Feb. 1980). They opened for Thin Lizzy, in the Music Hall Civic Center, capacity of 2,610. Tickets were $6.00. (went to see AC/DC, but Thin Lizzy was great Live too). Damn fortunate to have been there in that small venue for that Awesome show.

Saw Brian Johnson version later, still good but nowhere near Bon Scott good. I've seen ZZ Top 8-10 times (those boys love to tour), love their stuff as well, but gotta go with Bon Scott's AC/DC on this one.

My younger years I would have definitely said ACCA DACCA but as ive aged I've come to appreciate ZZ Top more. Both great but I'll take the bearded boys from Texas over the Aussies by a nose.

Can't wait to hear Back In Black hit those loud speakers in a month tho.

ZZ Top has been around so long they are not classic rock , but classic Antique Rock.

ACDC is one of my 10 all time favorites. ZZ Top probably makes my top 25.

My problem with ZZ Top in comparison to most all my favorite bands is I can't point to one single album of theirs and say it's perfect - it contains zero filler, every song is great. Deguello is probably the closest thing they have to one (imho). But once Eliminator came out, I simply thought they kinda sold out REO Speedwagon style to where I don't really believe they did anything worthy of buying after.

Nothing wrong with that...I've expounded before about many bands of that era being filled up with mountains of debt (bad contracts more or less) that began putting out albums that sort of softened their music to have That One Big Ass Seller to get themselves out of debt.

Whereas (for example) ACDC I can point to Powerage, H2H, and Back in Black (which the last track...meh, but everything else is great).

Those last 3 studio albums with Bon Scott are about as strong a 3 album run as any of my favorite bands can put up. THAT great.

Also keep in mind, back then they didn't have a 15 or so album portfolio to say things like "they all sound the same". Bon Scott era ACDC wasn't tiresome over time like the Brian Johnson era got to be. That's not meant to be a knock on Johnson or the material so much as it just over time didn't seem to have that same spark the Scott era did all the way through.

Both great bands...just one better than the other imho...

My younger years I would have definitely said ACCA DACCA but as ive aged I've come to appreciate ZZ Top more. Both great but I'll take the bearded boys from Texas over the Aussies by a nose.

Can't wait to hear Back In Black hit those loud speakers in a month tho.
Agreed.

Just saw ZZ Top last night in Greensboro. A fairly brief show - only about 75 minutes - but it was solid and Gibbons still brings it.

My favorite part was being in an amphitheater full of old guys in tacky t-shirts and camo shorts singing ….”every girl crazy for a sharp dressed man!!”

One of the best ACDC songs that does not get any air time ...

Well you can stick your nine-to-five livin'
And your collar and your tie
You can stick your moral standards
'Cause it's all a dirty lie
You can stick your golden handshake
And you can stick your silly rules
And all the other shit
That you teach to kids in school
'Cause I ain't no fool

One of the best ACDC songs that does not get any air time ...

Well you can stick your nine-to-five livin'
And your collar and your tie
You can stick your moral standards
'Cause it's all a dirty lie
You can stick your golden handshake
And you can stick your silly rules
And all the other shit
That you teach to kids in school
'Cause I ain't no fool

I have a new understanding about how Bon Scott was able to sustain such high and shrill vocal sound.

This poll should not be close. AC/DC is a top 10 rock band all-time. ZZ Top is not.

Reactions: sob5
ADVERTISEMENT