ADVERTISEMENT

Academic success for UI Athletes

Harrier

HB Heisman
Sep 30, 2001
I'm a UI staff member and, as such, I get periodic updates on the proceedings of the UI Staff Council meetings. I received an email update today which, amongst other things, provided the following warm and fuzzy tidbits re: UI athletics:

Gene Taylor, the Deputy Director of Athletics, spoke about Iowa’s “Win. Graduate. Do it Right.” philosophy. His message was that winning, graduating and community outreach are all important aspects of being a student athlete at Iowa. Gene highlighted a few of the many student-athlete success stories:
  • Iowa is the only school in country where both the men’s and women’s basketball teams had academic all Americans.
  • Iowa’s student athlete graduation rates reached all-time highs and are the best in state. Additionally:
    • The “Federal” graduation rate (does not count transfers) is 78%, 12 points above the peer institutions average.
    • The “in-state” rate (includes transfers) is 89%, 6 points above our peers.
  • Approximately 400 student athletes participated in community outreach, volunteering over 10,000 hrs of their time.
  • The Athletics department is 100% self-funded. The $94M budget comes from ticket sales, broadcast royalties, donations and other sources.
Just thought I would share. Jump on the bandwagon or derail the train as you see fit. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.