ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Commissioner says conference will remain the cream of the crop...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips said Wednesday he believes his conference is the cream of the crop amid widespread realignment within the Power Five.

"It remains my belief there's no better conference in the country," Phillips told reporters.

He added it's important college sports remains "a healthy neighborhood—not two or three gated communities" as programs jockey to join the most lucrative conference.

"We are not the professional ranks. This is not NFL or NBA lite. This is not, or should not be, a winner-take-all structure," Phillips said.

The competitive balance throughout Division I college sports was on full display during the 2021-22 academic year. Here's the breakdown of the 38 men's and women's national championships won by conference, per Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star:

7 titles each: ACC, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC
5 titles each: Big Ten, non-Power Five conferences

The question is whether that balance across the conferences will be a thing of the past once the realignment is complete, and whether two or three super-conferences will gobble up all the titles, leaving scraps for everybody else.

www.bleacherreport.com/articles/10042680-jim-phillips-says-acc-is-best-conference-in-cfb-amid-buzz-about-sec-realignment

ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips said Wednesday he believes his conference is the cream of the crop amid widespread realignment within the Power Five.

"It remains my belief there's no better conference in the country," Phillips told reporters.

He added it's important college sports remains "a healthy neighborhood—not two or three gated communities" as programs jockey to join the most lucrative conference.

"We are not the professional ranks. This is not NFL or NBA lite. This is not, or should not be, a winner-take-all structure," Phillips said.

The competitive balance throughout Division I college sports was on full display during the 2021-22 academic year. Here's the breakdown of the 38 men's and women's national championships won by conference, per Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star:

The question is whether that balance across the conferences will be a thing of the past once the realignment is complete, and whether two or three super-conferences will gobble up all the titles, leaving scraps for everybody else.

www.bleacherreport.com/articles/10042680-jim-phillips-says-acc-is-best-conference-in-cfb-amid-buzz-about-sec-realignment
The cream is spoiled and needs to be thrown out.

In other words, teams making 80 million dollar less vs others is unsustainable.

He is delusional!

Getting out of the GOR is not really possible for FSU to do alone. Need the whole thing to fall apart before we are free.
Totally agree. I don't believe ESPN will be helping us either. Maybe Fox Sports can get on board.

In order to remain "cream of the crop" I would think that at some point you would have to actually be "cream of the crop".

In order to remain "cream of the crop" I would think that at some point you would have to actually be "cream of the crop".

Did you bleep past this part?

Here's the breakdown of the 38 men's and women's national championships won by conference, per Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star:

Reactions: seminoleed

He's not wrong. But it won't save the ACC.
stoned puppet GIF

The financial implications from the GOR is insurmountable. No way to just walk. FSU can't afford to.
I wouldn't be so quick on that for a couple of reasons. A) I think a school could make a case to a judge to get out of the contract. WHen it was signed the contract was X but there have been siesmic shifts, by not allownig them to leave for Y dollars than the school could be harmed for the long term by not getting a spot in the big money conferences.

B) even if that doesn't happen the money could get stupid with the big conferences. The ACC last year paid out $35 million per school. The Big Ten paid out $60 million.

Let's say the money splits evenly between home and road games. The ACC GOR is for home games. What if a Big ten with LA, NYC, Chicago, then all the other midwest markets add Florida State and Florida. Could they pay out $100, $125 per school? If they did and even if FSU lost half, for its home games to go to the ACC, the Seminoles would still be pocketing $60 million a year. More than double what the ACC pays out.

I wouldn't be so quick on that for a couple of reasons. A) I think a school could make a case to a judge to get out of the contract. WHen it was signed the contract was X but there have been siesmic shifts, by not allownig them to leave for Y dollars than the school could be harmed for the long term by not getting a spot in the big money conferences.

B) even if that doesn't happen the money could get stupid with the big conferences. The ACC last year paid out $35 million per school. The Big Ten paid out $60 million.

Let's say the money splits evenly between home and road games. The ACC GOR is for home games. What if a Big ten with LA, NYC, Chicago, then all the other midwest markets add Florida State and Florida. Could they pay out $100, $125 per school? If they did and even if FSU lost half, for its home games to go to the ACC, the Seminoles would still be pocketing $60 million a year. More than double what the ACC pays out.
A) contracts don't work this way. FSU can't get out by using this argument. There are actual lawyers who know this.

B) we already knew this.

C) Florida will not be leaving the SEC for the big 10.

A) contracts don't work this way. FSU can't get out by using this argument. There are actual lawyers who know this.

B) we already knew this.

C) Florida will not be leaving the SEC for the big 10.
So interesting question on the GOR. Is it specifically for Home games? If so, then would an option be to play all neutral site or away games until the ACC is gone or the GOR expires? Not saying that FSU would do it and probably wouldn't due to impact on local economy unless say they had some games at FAMU and called that a neutral site or away game. Is there an option out there that people aren't considering but maybe should?

So interesting question on the GOR. Is it specifically for Home games? If so, then would an option be to play all neutral site or away games until the ACC is gone or the GOR expires? Not saying that FSU would do it and probably wouldn't due to impact on local economy unless say they had some games at FAMU and called that a neutral site or away game. Is there an option out there that people aren't considering but maybe should?
Outside of the box thinking is good, but no way we give up home games for the next 12 seasons.

The cost is just too great to overcome.
It would take literally dissolving the ACC...which might be the end point. I see no other option. The ACC won't be able to compete in any sport with all the NIL opportunities the B1G and SEC will be able to offer.

Reactions: ericram
Outside of the box thinking is good, but no way we give up home games for the next 12 seasons.
Unfortunately, I fear if ND doesn't join and/or we substantially close the revenue gap somehow, then we will be playing in a different division of football or may as well be.

I guess the other question I have is if the current contract doles out what 35-40 million per year from the ACC, but we were able to join a conference that paid 100 million a year, wouldn't we be subject to just pay the exit fee of about 100 million plus the 35-40 million a year tops back to the ACC while it exists.

I am guessing that we would have to take less since the new conference wouldn't have rights to our home games, but instead of going maybe no home games, we bite the bullet and only play 2 at home conference games and our OOC patsy games at home until we get out of the GOR. Just go back to what put FSU on the map and be road warriors. This is assuming of course the GOR is referring to just home games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT