ADVERTISEMENT

Accidentally killing an animal

We hit a dog once by an acreage - good size Lab that just ran out of the tall ditch grass in front of me, never had a chance to stop.

The family was out in the yard, they saw it happen, I pulled over immediately hoping for the best, walked back to where the dog was and apologized profusely to the owners. They were very understanding and said this wasn't their first dog to get hit living on a highway. Don't get me wrong they were still upset, as was my family.

This happened probably 5 years ago and I still think about it every time I drive past that place.
It's just part of living on a paved country road. The neighbors raise Burmese mountain dogs and a "puppy" came across the road last year and an old dude hit it. He was Wayyyyyy more shook up than my neighbors. (The puppy was well over 100 pounds and died at the vet)

Weird coincidence I was weed eating yesterday saw a snake who was fleeing from the weed eater towards the house. I cut him off and tried to scare him away but he went into a defensive posture then.

I tried to grab something to push him away but he just went around me and slid under the house. I think he lives under our house.

I probably should have killed him with the weed eater.

Keep in mind that on two occasions we've had snakes actually get into our house.

I would much rather have the snake than the mice and other things that they eat.

Hit a big dog on the interstate a few years back. I was in the left hand lane driving at night in traffic and it came out of the median right in front of me - I didn't even have time to hit the brakes - not that it would have mattered. Went right under the driver's side tires and knocked a hole in my front bumper. Worst part was it looked right at me before I hit it. Definitely shook me up. Not ashamed to say I had to pull over and shed a tear.
maybe the dog was coming back from a really bad concert and decided to end it all?

Snakes:
1gejyp.gif

Scorpions:
1gejyp.gif

Spiders:
1gejyp.gif

Mice/rats:
1gejyp.gif

OP Mom’s Yeast Infection:
1gejyp.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Yeah he was knocked into the ditch and dead on impact.

Thought the same thing about a fence when they told me that too but definitely wasn't a time to bring it up. :)

Almost chokes me up still thinking about it like this....ugh

At least he didn't suffer.

My first lab job involved dispatching dogs for CF research. Since that time, I have worked with a variety of animals and thankfully never will anymore. Hacking humans gives me no pause so if your ass is dead and you're somewhere near the UI decedent center be careful ;)

I wish I wouldve explored psychology a bit more in my education days - would really be interesting to know how/why some here rationalize/prioritize some "lives" over others that, on the surface, are very counterintuitive.

I was weedeating today and accidentally hit a garter snake I didn’t see in time. He was dinged up and unable to move his back half. I tried to work out the kinks but he was clearly a goner so I put him out of his misery. Even for something as small and common as a snake I was bummed for a little while. Don’t know how people kill big mammals. (And yes, I know where steaks come from).

Anyone else feel like this or am I just a big softie?
I am the same way, but not so sure I'd have that problem with a snake.

For me, it's all about the eyes.

Anything with beady, black eyes (snakes, birds, fish) I am generally OK with killing and/or eating. But once things have human-looking eyes with whites, color and pupils, that's where I struggle. I could never kill a deer -- primarily due to its big brown eyes.

And yes, I too am a hypocritical meat eater. I just can't do it myself.

I’ll never forget it, it was 2000 and I was driving to work at a hotel in Coralville. I was driving early morning on second street near the Vine. I had just merged into the right lane and before I could react I saw a mother goose about 4 feet into the road, just on the side of the steeet was about a dozen baby geese.

I heard the thump and looked back and saw mom laying in the roadway. I slammed on my brakes but could bare to see up close what I had done. I sat there for a second as cars were backing up from me and what clearly was a murder scene. I drove to work crying.

it was an accident mama goose!
RIP
Similar story, I'm coming down curvy Kirkwood Blvd in Davenport late one evening and as I near a railroad bridge, a fat mama raccoon comes ambling out underneath it with about 6 youngsters trailing. My instant reaction was to swerve to miss the largest animal, but then I suddenly hear the - pop, pop, pop - of 3 or 4 of the baby ones getting blasted by my car. Yikes, I felt like a heel.

I comforted myself a little by realizing that had I not swerved and had killed mama, the little ones would have starved to death or been prey for some other animal anyway. But I still felt like a Hugh Jass.

When I was in HS I was driving home from a friend’s house a mile or two from my place. Got going up a residential street that was pretty dark and this dog just shot out from behind a tree. Had a chance to slam on the brakes, but still hit the dog pretty hard. Both of us screamed. The dog struggled off into a backyard. I felt awful and went looking. Had another friend a couple houses up, so went up to see if he recognized the description of the dog and grabbed flashlights. We searched around several yards and he spread the word about the dog, but neither of us ever saw the dog again or heard anything about it. I’m hopeful the dog had some physical injuries but was ultimately fine.

I feel bad if it’s mammal but not a rodent. I used to try and hit those pocket gophers along the rural highways when I was a kid.

My house is next to a creek and forest. So needless to say over the last 10 years, I have killed approximately 6 baby rabbits, 3-4 smaller snakes and countless frogs while mowing. Also had to kill a few moles/gophers tearing up the yard. I have killed a few rats that got in the window wells. I have had to get out possums, raccoons, and rabbits that have jumped into the window well. When we moved into the house we kept getting bats in our room - about 4, after a renovation, we realized the bathroom vent was constantly open in the attic, essential any critter had a straight shot into our bathroom.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: HawkFan1298
My first lab job involved dispatching dogs for CF research. Since that time, I have worked with a variety of animals and thankfully never will anymore. Hacking humans gives me no pause so if your ass is dead and you're somewhere near the UI decedent center be careful ;)
You know I have never really thought about it but I het I have killed 500k plus chickens in my life but because it was a job it just was what it was. I worked foe hyline chicken in Dallas center in high school and they did genetics to make thr perfect eggs. If a genetic line was.found to not have thr perfect egg we killed the whole chicken house and incinerated the corpses. (Smelled terrible) before sanitizing the whole thing and starting over. Grab them by the feet with your left hand, grab them by the head with your right, put your right hand against your hip and pop your hip. Neck breaks, or detaches the head, and throw them in a pile. I have literally never thought of that as killing an animal because it was the job.

Grab them by the feet with your left hand, grab them by the head with your right, put your right hand against your hip and pop your hip. Neck breaks, or detaches the head, and throw them in a pile.

Yeah,... In a thread about killing animals I can see why this didn't immediately come to mind...

You know I have never really thought about it but I het I have killed 500k plus chickens in my life but because it was a job it just was what it was. I worked foe hyline chicken in Dallas center in high school and they did genetics to make thr perfect eggs. If a genetic line was.found to not have thr perfect egg we killed the whole chicken house and incinerated the corpses. (Smelled terrible) before sanitizing the whole thing and starting over. Grab them by the feet with your left hand, grab them by the head with your right, put your right hand against your hip and pop your hip. Neck breaks, or detaches the head, and throw them in a pile. I have literally never thought of that as killing an animal because it was the job.

That's probably what the guards at Auschwitz said...

Reactions: Colonoscopy
I've hit a pheasant in high school. Then plastered a small bird with my windshield on the interstate in st. Louis. It was loud. Luckily only made a small crack.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I just saw a horde of human body bags being taken to the morgue at ui healthcare in a housing and dining truck. Seriously, wtf. I should have taken a photo. Next time you get a sammich at the IMU, you'll know what human corpse tastes like. You cannot even make this shit up.

I just saw a horde of human body bags being taken to the morgue at ui healthcare in a housing and dining truck. Seriously, wtf. I should have taken a photo. Next time you get a sammich at the IMU, you'll know what human corpse tastes like. You cannot even make this shit up.
Notgonnadoit.jpeg

Please leave spiders be. They're man's 2nd best friend after dogs.

As a kid I would collect spiders and bees/wasps. Put them in a terrarium and watch them fight to the death. I remember one time a wasp was flying around the cage holding a yellow-jackets head as some sort of trophy. ****ing awesome.

• Wow
As a kid I would collect spiders and bees/wasps. Put them in a terrarium and watch them fight to the death. I remember one time a wasp was flying around the cage holding a yellow-jackets head as some sort of trophy. ****ing awesome.

Who usually won?

Do you have a crawl space filled with dead hookers now?

I’ll tell you another animal that is about to die. Damn carpenter bees. That mf’er starts on my back deck, he’s gone.

This one still brings me to tears. We got a kitten several years back and tried our best to keep her indoors. Had her for about a year. I’m not a huge fan of cats, but this one was cool and took a liking to me. She was also a bit crazy, curious and adventurous. She got outside one morning and we couldn’t find her. Searched everywhere. Finally I took the cover off the pool. It was spring and we hadn’t opened the pool up. There she was. Somehow figured out how to get under the cover. I bawled like a baby when I found her. Still haunts me.

I was weedeating today and accidentally hit a garter snake I didn’t see in time. He was dinged up and unable to move his back half. I tried to work out the kinks but he was clearly a goner so I put him out of his misery. Even for something as small and common as a snake I was bummed for a little while. Don’t know how people kill big mammals. (And yes, I know where steaks come from).

Garter snakes are good to have around. Sorry, man. Your feelings are on yer sleeve.

The first time a baby bunny rabbit blew out the side of the lawn mower half cut up and squealing that really bothered me. I still really try to look to make sure I am not going over a rabbits nest but have still caught a couple more since then, it happens when you have a large grassy area over 1/2 an acre to mow and right next to a brush line, that’s where they like to nest. As to the frogs or snakes those don't seem to bother me.

Not me but yesterday my dog bolted out the back door chasing the squirrels in the yard. After two years the old boy finally got one. Never thought he would kill it but he bit down and shook that squirrel like crazy for 15 second and then let go.

Felt bad for the little feller he was still alive but barley. Didn’t take too long for the inevitable to happen. I has sads

Not me but yesterday my dog bolted out the back door chasing the squirrels in the yard. After two years the old boy finally got one. Never thought he would kill it but he bit down and shook that squirrel like crazy for 15 second and then let go.

Felt bad for the little feller he was still alive but barley. Didn’t take too long for the inevitable to happen. I has sads

That's a good dog.

All squirrels must die.

ADVERTISEMENT