ADVERTISEMENT

Acetaminophen linked to autism

Hoosierhawkeye

HR King
Sep 16, 2008
Does anyone know anything about the studies behind this? Is this a pie in the sky hypothesis being paraded around in a lawsuit or is there possibly something to this?

Bothers me because the doctors told my wife that she could safely use Acetaminophen for pain which she did regularly.

Yes, at this points studies suggest a link. Although I believe the link is higher for ADHD than autism.

Probably nothing to it. I'm not qualified to make that statement but these lawsuits, warnings are usually launched based on a thread of very questionable data. It takes much less data to bring a lawsuit than it does to get these drugs approved to begin with.

The only place I have heard anything about this are advertisements from lawyers trying to get people to jump in on the class action lawsuit for this. So, that makes me skeptical about this but I can't just outright say its false yet either. Maybe there is data. If there is, noone outside people trying to make money off it are saying anything about it. At least not saying it very loudly.

You don’t say…. So on OTC medication that’s been around forever has unknown effects during pregnancy. But the mRNA vaccine is completely ok for pregnant women because of a limited study that lasted a year.

Reactions: MichaelKeller99
Probably nothing to it. I'm not qualified to make that statement but these lawsuits, warnings are usually launched based on a thread of very questionable data. It takes much less data to bring a lawsuit than it does to get these drugs approved to begin with.

Yeah it doesn't take much to launch a lawsuit.

Reactions: thewop
You don’t say…. So on OTC medication that’s been around forever has unknown effects during pregnancy. But the mRNA vaccine is completely ok for pregnant women because of a limited study that lasted a year.

After 3 shots of the COVID vaccine. . . still not dead.

Reactions: Joes Place
Yes, at this points studies suggest a link. Although I believe the link is higher for ADHD than autism.

More likely, that it's the infant/pregnancy infections which result in the behavioral conditions.
And what do people do when they have a cold/infection that gives them a headache/fever?

Take acetaminophen.

Early infant/childhood infections are very clearly linked to autism.

Weird that they want to hit "retailers" and not the "manufacturers", who hold ultimate responsibility here.

In this large and diverse U.S. study population, maternal infection during pregnancy occurred in approximately 60% of women. ASD was associated with maternal infection accompanied by fever during the second trimester and maternal infection without fever during the 3 months before conception,[COLOR=%s] after controlling for several covariates including treatment with medication. [/COLOR]

When fever from infection was combined with fever unrelated to infection, we observed a twofold increased risk for ASD associated with fever in T2, after adjusting for all covariates and treatment with any medication (aOR = 2.11, 95% CI 1.04–4.25) or treatment with acetaminophen
(15% ASD, 14% POP, aOR = 2.23, 95% CI 1.15–4.35; Table 5).

Last edited:
Ridiculous. I am currently defending a baby food manufacturer against claims that its product (along with three other baby food manufacturers' products) contain high levels of toxic metals which caused infant consumers' autism diagnosis. These claims came out of a Congressional hearing wherein it was determined that arsenic, lead, cadmium, and mercury were present in manufactured baby food.

Do these toxic metals exist in my client's product? Yes -- in parts per billion of the manufactured foods as part of the natural growing process. It is likely that a carrot you would grow in your backyard would contain higher concentration of these toxic metals than my client's manufactured baby food, but a number of plaintiff's attorneys have jumped on this issue and filed suit.

Well, at the VERY LEAST, the Covid vaccines have proven to reduce death rates in the short term.

After 3 shots of the COVID vaccine. . . still not dead.
alive-dead.gif

Reactions: NoleATL
Yeah it doesn't take much to launch a lawsuit.
And I've asked my Dr. About a couple different ones and they have always shrugged them off and explained it's an insignificant number of people who have had that reaction and it could be any number of things causing it.

So I kind of assume they're all that way...

I’ll be monitoring this. My son has autism/ADHD and his mom used lots of acetaminophen during pregnancy to deal with headaches.

We have shown in a case-control study that use of acetaminophen early in life is associated with increased likelihood for ASD [12]. We showed in this study that children who used acetaminophen at age 12 to 18 months vs. those who did not were eight times more likely to have ASD when all children were considered and nearly 21 times more likely to have ASD when limiting cases to children with regression in development.

Hard to believe a product this safe could have ANY effect on a fetus or a child, right?

Acetaminophen toxicity is the second most common cause of liver transplantation worldwide and the most common cause of liver transplantation in the US. It is responsible for 56,000 emergency department visits, 2,600 hospitalizations, and 500 deaths per year in the United States.

• Love
Reactions: Sharky1203
I believe I read somewhere that the judge threw this case out saying they couldn't show a causational relationship.

FALSE

Crime rates in NYC correlate strongly with ice cream sales.
I understand that. But if there is a strong enough correlation between a drug and an outcome and you've controlled for obvious stuff you absolutely have reason to be weary and avoiding said drug is prudent.

Most causation starts as well identified correlation.

I've only said correlation doesn't necessarily equate to causation a million times.
And then you claimed/implied they do.

Correlations can help identify causes; they often point to false flags due to common sources that are the true causes.

FWIW, it is severe bacterial or viral infections that have a strong correlation with subsequent development of ASD.

Something which would often lead parents to give their kids acetaminophen in treating. Noting that many parents DO NOT give their kids that drug, and thousands give them the drug for minor infections which are not correlated with ASD.

Is the answer going to tie back to a cause for autism?
Here's the deal. Back when autism rates were around 1 in 100,000 (prior to the proliferation of both childhood vaccinations and the widespread use of acetaminophen, COINCIDENTALLY!) kids never got fevers.

Then as their fevers got higher and higher through the generations, autism rates grew to 1 in 33, COINCIDENTALLY!

I'm not saying it was the fevers.

But it was the fevers. :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT