ADVERTISEMENT

Activist Asks To Lead Satanic Prayer At FL High School Football Game

I think anyone should be allowed to pray by themselves after a game....if people want to join them. Fine.

Team prayers ect shouldn't be allowed.

There's a fine line and I don't think the SC crossed it with their ruling.

I absolutely believe the coach conducting a prayer on the field immediately after a game is inherently coercive. It is impossible for any player to know for certain if their treatment would be affected if they don't join. When my son was in HS sports the coaches often had "voluntary" activities. Every kid knew damn well that choosing not to take part in those activities would be a very bad idea.

In that context, it was just annoying. When it involves prayers, it certainly seems hard to argue that it is constitutional

I absolutely believe the coach conducting a prayer on the field immediately after a game is inherently coercive. It is impossible for any player to know for certain if their treatment would be affected if they don't join. When my son was in HS sports the coaches often had "voluntary" activities. Every kid knew damn well that choosing not to take part in those activities would be a very bad idea.

In that context, it was just annoying. When it involves prayers, it certainly seems hard to argue that it is constitutional
Respectfully disagree.

Just to clarify, do you disagree that when a coach conducts any voluntary activity, it is inherently coercive?
I think in this particular instance....when team prayers had stopped. Forbidding the coach from praying by himself went too far.

While you say you would not have felt the pressure, many on the team, high school kids, will feel it.
I didn’t in high school or college. Again you’re projecting how others would feel especially if it’s known it has no impact on relationship with coach and playing time. Go to a church some time and look around when prayer is being led. Hint: Not everyone is praying especially kids and that’s in church.

Reactions: ICHerky
I didn’t in high school or college. Again you’re projecting how others would feel especially if it’s known it has no impact on relationship with coach and playing time.
In fairness, it's not a subjective test. It's an objective one. I actually am pretty comfortable that this thing started out as a noncompulsive free exercise practice. The problem is, once the district started wringing their hands about it as an establishment problem, it became something of a cause celebre -- and probably to the point that some could view it as compulsive (per the pic at p. 45), notwithstanding the fact that there's an incredible irony to saying that the prayer by the larger group is being compelled by the district when in fact it was being done as a big FU to the district.

Again, getting back to our demonic friend, this case isn't that hard. If the field is generally open to the public to do what they like after a game, he can pray (or is it curse?). And the district should just say, 'why are you asking us'?

Last edited:
He can do so after the game with whatever members of the community want to join him.
Nope, he can do it at the same exact time as the guy in Colorado or whatever insisted he be able to do his Christian prayer.

As can the Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Wiccans, Zorastarians, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Mormons or any other denomination.

I think it's stupid and unconstitutional, but that's our SCOTUS.

Satanic guy should be allowed to pray by himself on the field after the game.....
No. He shouldn’t. He’s not a member of the team or staff and schools keep the field cleared of non-staff personnel, regardless if they want to pray or not.

Also…he’s a complete fvcking idiot…

"I assume they're going to tell me to kiss off. This all started when the U.S. Supreme Court, aka the 'American Taliban,' sided in favor of a high school coach in Bremerton, Washington, and now he is allowed to give his prayer after the game."

Reactions: Multi-Hawk
2nd to last instance of him praying he was by himself.....last instance he was by himself and then joined by parents.

The last 2 instances would conform with Alito's description. Prior to that some of the players would join him...

So Alito's description is inaccurate?

They can do whatever they want. I'm just wondering why and to whom an atheist is praying. I mean isn't a prayer usually made to a deity and atheist by definition do not believe in deities.

I didn’t in high school or college. Again you’re projecting how others would feel especially if it’s known it has no impact on relationship with coach and playing time. Go to a church some time and look around when prayer is being led. Hint: Not everyone is praying especially kids and that’s in church.

I'm glad you felt no pressure. I don't think you can apply your experience to every other high school kid in that situation.

And the kids in church that aren't praying are usually 7 and are screwing around with the kneelers. These were high school kids. They have enough experience in the world to understand who the decision makers are and how to please them.

business-commerce-evil-devil-corporate_merger-merger-business_deal-bwhn1499_low.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Aardvark86
I'm glad you felt no pressure. I don't think you can apply your experience to every other high school kid in that situation.

And the kids in church that aren't praying are usually 7 and are screwing around with the kneelers. These were high school kids. They have enough experience in the world to understand who the decision makers are and how to please them.
The decision makers heads are down and their eyes are closed when praying. They have no idea who the hell is there with them 99% of the time.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
No, im saying players skip the prayer all the time at all levels. You seem to be under the impression thats not possible.
Thank you for the clarification. I understand some skip the prayer altogether; I also believe that some join in because they feel the pressure.

The Christian faith and Catholic church have done some ****ed up shit too.
Not arguing that, but your comment seems to suggest satanism is the antithesis of Christianity (or any 'god' based religions for that matter). Hence the "were you alive in the 80s?" question as your disposition seems rooted in the 'satanic panic' mindset.

The decision makers heads are down and their eyes are closed when praying. They have no idea who the hell is there with them 99% of the time.

Heads down, eyes closed and don't know anyone who was there 99% of the time? Come on.

Don't be naïve. Not during the Open Championship week. At St. Andrews. Get out of this thread and post your damn card!

Reactions: win4jj
Not arguing that, but your comment seems to suggest satanism is the antithesis of Christianity (or any 'god' based religions for that matter). Hence the "were you alive in the 80s?" question as your disposition seems rooted in the 'satanic panic' mindset.
Gotcha. No, I said Christianity because I believe that was the particular religion involved in the most recent Supreme Court ruling. It seems to me that some members of the public's support for prayer depends heavily on what religion is being prayed.

Thank you for the clarification. I understand some skip the prayer altogether; I also believe that some join in because they feel the pressure.
One of the parent's stated that their son felt compelled to participate as he was worried it would cut into his playing time.

Heads down, eyes closed and don't know anyone who was there 99% of the time? Come on.

Don't be naïve. Not during the Open Championship week. At St. Andrews. Get out of this thread and post your damn card!
Been doing it and witnessing it for 25 years. As a head coach and assistant coach, in the Bible Belt South I’ve never been part of one single conversation regarding who was not or was praying or what needs to be done about it. Every public coach knows about the 2nd amendment and separation of church and state. And while it may not prevent them from praying on their own, I’ve never seen anyone forced or made to feel left out for not participating. Because again…no one has ever noticed.

Your take can’t be applied to everyone either, it’s projection. I watched several teams and individual players go to the end zone or middle of the field to pray before/after the games last year. Not every kid participated. Some coaches did. Nobody was offended or felt pressure to since it was obviously optional with others walking by talking to friends, parents, coaches etc.

Some people just don’t think it should be shown publicly, but there’s nothing wrong with it no matter the religion or lack thereof and they have every right to. People have the right to be offended by it, however, complaining and judging isn’t going to change anything.

Reactions: ICHerky
I love this too! These are the exact kinds of responses that recent Supreme Court rulings and various state statutes need in order to point out how truly awful they are. If the coach can lead a Christian prayer, this activist should be allowed to lead a satanic prayer for the exact same reason.
The coach prayed by himself correct?

Your take can’t be applied to everyone either, it’s projection. I watched several teams and individual players go to the end zone or middle of the field to pray before/after the games last year. Not every kid participated. Some coaches did. Nobody was offended or felt pressure to since it was obviously optional with others walking by talking to friends, parents, coaches etc.

Some people just don’t think it should be shown publicly, but there’s nothing wrong with it no matter the religion or lack thereof and they have every right to. People have the right to be offended by it, however, complaining and judging isn’t going to change anything.

I'm not offended. I have no problem if a coach wants to pray. I have no problem if players want to pray.

I just don't want school employees forcing students, directly or indirectly, to pray.

And it's not a projection, that was the testimony in the case - that some athletes felt compelled to pray because the coach was leading the prayer.

Why is that so surprising - we have laws that teachers cannot have relationships with students, even if the students are of age of consent. Why? Because there is a difference in power.

the justices in the majority emphasized the fact that the coach prayed after the games were over when he was not responsible for students.

This is factually incorrect.

He IS responsible for the students "after the games are over".
Can he just leave kids at the away games "off the bus", because his duty ends when the clock expires?

Of course not. Yet another example of SC justices playing fast and loose with facts. Just like Thomas claiming "Covid vaccines come from aborted fetuses" in his ruling in that case.

A Court that is distanced from facts is not a Court that is ruling with impartiality.

So the dude was allowed to do it at one school and hasn't hears back from this school but is well known in the area

"Stevens is known throughout the state for his satirical political activism and art."

Hmm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT