ADVERTISEMENT

Activist Asks To Lead Satanic Prayer At FL High School Football Game

Just to clarify, do you disagree that when a coach conducts any voluntary activity, it is inherently coercive?
Kirk Ferentz tells the Hawkeyes summer workouts are voluntary… totally fine if they don’t show up. Won’t have anything to do with playing time!

Kirk Ferentz tells the Hawkeyes summer workouts are voluntary… totally fine if they don’t show up. Won’t have anything to do with playing time!
Back to the original story. Were any players impacted by not participating and didn’t play or played less?

Reactions: ICHerky
Haven't read the entire thread, so maybe this was already covered. I get the concept of equal representation. If there was a Jewish player or a Muslim coach on the team who wanted to lead a prayer in his faith, go for it. I support your right to free religious expression.

But this guy has zero affiliation with the team, yes? Shouldn't you at least have to be in some way a part of the team in order to be allowed to lead a prayer? I mean, by that logic, if I want to lead the UCLA cheerleaders in a prayer before a game, the university has to let me. Right?

Back to the original story. Were any players impacted by not participating and didn’t play or played less?

IMO it really doesn't matter if they would or wouldn't have playing time impacted. This is a team game at a public institution and the football program belongs to the athletes ultimately. The adult leader knowingly decided to introduce something potentially divisive to his program for no apparent material benefit to the program. It should almost be considered professional malpractice if one's capacity for developing strategies for team building is made a priority for a coach's skillset. He should be probably coaching division 3 somewhere instead of at a public HS.

1vD3.gif

Haven't read the entire thread, so maybe this was already covered. I get the concept of equal representation. If there was a Jewish player or a Muslim coach on the team who wanted to lead a prayer in his faith, go for it. I support your right to free religious expression.

But this guy has zero affiliation with the team, yes? Shouldn't you at least have to be in some way a part of the team in order to be allowed to lead a prayer? I mean, by that logic, if I want to lead the UCLA cheerleaders in a prayer before a game, the university has to let me. Right?
Right. That's the point I was going to make. Also didn't read entire thread.

This is factually incorrect.

He IS responsible for the students "after the games are over".
Can he just leave kids at the away games "off the bus", because his duty ends when the clock expires?

Of course not. Yet another example of SC justices playing fast and loose with facts. Just like Thomas claiming "Covid vaccines come from aborted fetuses" in his ruling in that case.

A Court that is distanced from facts is not a Court that is ruling with impartiality.
This point is exactly what is wrong with the decision. In what school district is a football coach immediately released of responsibility when the final horn sounds? None. Coaches are the last persons leaving the building postgame after the locker rooms are empty and the parking lots have cleared. If that is what the majority is hanging their opinion on, they’re mistaken and frankly unaware of the real world they live in and the actual responsibilities that school coaches take on.

There’s a lot of things wrong beyond that including the implicit social pressure/coercion that some of the players will experience, an assumed favoritism towards a particular religion in allowing a prayer on school grounds on school time, etc. but perhaps the most egregious of all is protecting this outward public display of devoutness and faith of these attention whore type Christians who I find to be the most annoying MFers on the face of the earth. Save your BS rites and public displays of your holiness for your own people, the rest of us thank you and really DGAF to witness your sanctimonious I’m a better Christian than you crap. And by the way, your god likely doesn’t give two shits about your football team or the game you just played. That coach that was fired should send his resume to PJ Fleck, he’d fit right in with his look at me culture.

Reactions: Ree4 and sob5
IMO it really doesn't matter if they would or wouldn't have playing time impacted. This is a team game at a public institution and the football program belongs to the athletes ultimately. The adult leader knowingly decided to introduce something potentially divisive to his program for no apparent material benefit to the program. It should almost be considered professional malpractice if one's capacity for developing strategies for team building is made a priority for a coach's skillset. He should be probably coaching division 3 somewhere instead of at a public HS.
What’s divisive about praying by oneself? And giving inspirational speeches to people who are voluntarily listening? The reaction is a lot more divisive than the initial action.

Reactions: ICHerky
If EVERYONE is required to maintain a "moment of silence" while led in Christian prayer, then they will be required to maintain the same "moment of silence" for any other religion's prayer.

Anything else is government favoring one religion over another.
I was extremely silent when 40,000 Muslims prayed at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minnesomalia just 4 days ago. (I wasn't anywhere near Downtown as it turns out I'm allergic to crime infested Liberal Shitholes)

Happy now?

I think anyone should be allowed to pray by themselves after a game....if people want to join them. Fine.

Team prayers ect shouldn't be allowed.

There's a fine line and I don't think the SC crossed it with their ruling.
I know many holier than thou football coaches that may not play kids. This is precisely the problem this creates.
would you be happy with teachers pushing their religious views in school and having kids wonder if their grades depend on playing along.

Reactions: sob5
And anyone who wants to pray with him.
Sure
I know many holier than thou football coaches that may not play kids. This is precisely the problem this creates.
would you be happy with teachers pushing their religious views in school and having kids wonder if their grades depend on playing along.
If he was pushing his religious views in school I’d agree with you….he wasn’t IMO. He was praying…

I know some folks see that as coercive but I don’t.

Been doing it and witnessing it for 25 years. As a head coach and assistant coach, in the Bible Belt South I’ve never been part of one single conversation regarding who was not or was praying or what needs to be done about it. Every public coach knows about the 2nd amendment and separation of church and state. And while it may not prevent them from praying on their own, I’ve never seen anyone forced or made to feel left out for not participating. Because again…no one has ever noticed.
How many kids you seen leave. I’ve coached over 25 years too and haven’t seen it.

He's pushing them AT A SCHOOL FUNCTION. Where he is STILL responsible for the students ON SCHOOL PROPERTY.
He wasn’t pushing anything. They voluntarily joined. Players asked other players to join including opponents. Two players initially felt uncomfortable, one agnostic and one non-believer, they both later became captains on the team.

100%

I was extremely silent when 40,000 Muslims prayed at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minnesomalia just 4 days ago. (I wasn't anywhere near Downtown as it turns out I'm allergic to crime infested Liberal Shitholes)

Happy now?
Imagine Muslims praying at an organized religious celebration.

What’s divisive about praying by oneself? And giving inspirational speeches to people who are voluntarily listening? The reaction is a lot more divisive than the initial action.

I'm going to approach this as someone who went to Catholic school before getting an internet subscription at home. I fundamentally don't understand Protestant perspectives on ministry, I think. Catholics have plenty of goofball folk wisdom about the faith, but you're not really taught that football matters to God or that there is a right way to do football as a Christian that would be functionally different from secular sportsmanship. You go to the worker house or similar when it's your turn to do ministry.

Suppose the community around this public school is 100% Christian or there are no issues with coercion. It's still just this random football guy teaching other peoples' kids about theology after hours? Why football instead of Bible school or youth ministry camps? When I was in high school, weight lifting was more optional than a specific version, the same version every time, of the Lord's Prayer before kickoff. So now if I'm the minister coach, the way around the obvious coercion issues with a pregame routine is to momentarily retreat from chaperone duties to go pray by myself in front of everyone after the game concludes? Almost seems to be inviting a comparison to Christ praying in the garden? Is that what I'm going for? The Last Supper every Friday night in the fall?

Doesn’t bother me, I know what I believe. As I’ve said previously I’ve played a ton of sports with hundreds and hundreds of guys, never met a satanist in the bunch. I don’t think they are competitive.

If this coach wants to “pray by himself” after games, why does he feel the need to go to midfield and make a public spectacle of it?
Yes, this is the total point. Guy is a douche bag Christian. Praying in the center of the field is as much an activist move as the satan guy asking to pray.

1. Goes to the middle of the field as if the 50 yard line is a better antenna to God.
2. Is praying in his school uniform, visible to all.

He has all sorts of options:
1. Pray in his pickup truck before or after the game.
2. Use the coach's office in the locker room
3. Use the parking lot.
4. Go to church after the game, you know that actual house of God where worshipers gather.

This picture speaks volumes. Notice the 1 kid from the opposing team. That kid is actually probably Christian and is not coerced. This isn't an outpouring of Christians at a gathering. Why aren't kids from the other team out there? Surely based on population demographics there must be more Christians on the opposing team. Why aren't they joining? That makes me believe there must a be a kid who feels compelled or coerced to be in that group.

62b9ccb05c179.image.jpg

This cartoon probably describes the situation as well as any. As another poster pointed out early on, it's really a question of whether the football field is public forum, not whether the guy can pray in public to whoever he wants. If he were an assistant coach or school administrator, or even a parent of a kid on the team I can't imagine there'd be a problem here.

If, however, the field is more in the category of the building, and this guy has no connection to it or reason to be there, then he may need to hold his prayer at the flagpole or in the park (schools aren't just letting anyone in the door these days).

Of course, he's a self-described atheist, so the very fact that he wants to pray to any diety says he's only doing it for purposes of activism, and it's not sincere. That's really beside the point, but tells you plenty about the type of person he is, regardless of what he believes.

Nope, he can do it at the same exact time as the guy in Colorado or whatever insisted he be able to do his Christian prayer.

As can the Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Wiccans, Zorastarians, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Mormons or any other denomination.

I think it's stupid and unconstitutional, but that's our SCOTUS.

After the game is the exact time the guy in Colorado has his prayer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT