ADVERTISEMENT

Activist Asks To Lead Satanic Prayer At FL High School Football Game

He can do so after the game with whatever members of the community want to join him.
This (assuming the school generally makes the field available to anyone post game). Though I'm not sure I'd want to be him in the parking lot after the crowd thins out.

Technical note: this is arguably more straightforward like the flagpole case than the football coach case, i.e., solely a free exercise case. Re: the former, there is of course the question of public forum, and they couldn't refuse him access to the field if it's generally available. But unlike the latter case, this person does not seem to be a school employee, so there is no comparable "defense" that the school could assert based on a prophylactic restriction to avoid establishment clause concerns.

I love this too! These are the exact kinds of responses that recent Supreme Court rulings and various state statutes need in order to point out how truly awful they are. If the coach can lead a Christian prayer, this activist should be allowed to lead a satanic prayer for the exact same reason.

And that's the problem with allowing these public displays of religions in government institutions.
See my edits. There is a lot less "public" to this than the football coach case. If I were the board, I would say, "what are you asking us for?" The real issue is, "is the football field after the game the same thing as the flagpole?"

I love this too! These are the exact kinds of responses that recent Supreme Court rulings and various state statutes need in order to point out how truly awful they are. If the coach can lead a Christian prayer, this activist should be allowed to lead a satanic prayer for the exact same reason.
Agree 100%.

Satanic guy should be allowed to pray by himself on the field after the game.....

Reactions: Hammer93
Good lord people are stupid. Did the coach ask the school to lead a prayer? Pretty sure this guy (assuming he has access to the field) would certainly have the right to pray on the field to whomever or whatever he wants.

Also, what harm does his prayer or anyone else's do that you'd want to be retaliatory

Reactions: Hammer93
And that's the problem with allowing these public displays of religions in government institutions.

I don't see any of it as bad or awful. Members of the community can use public grounds for what purposes they wish within reason. One of those purposes may be religious expression in which case any religious expression must be tolerated on public grounds.

Obviously the point of this quit frankly is satire. But who cares the sooner we just ignore the satire and accept that it can be used for any religious expression the sooner the satirists will go away and we can all see that it's really not that bad to have freedom of religious expression for everyone.

Of course I'm sure there will be one or two Karens out there who are stupid enough to give the satirists the exact reaction they are hoping for.

Reactions: CaboKP
What’s awful about satanic prayer?

The problem is, when you drill down into these things, the people who advocate for this sort of thing usually aren't in fact advocating for a comparable that is distinguished solely by the denomination of the religion. Indeed, I'd wager that about 85% of those so advocating have not in fact read the decisions they seek to "point out" are problematic.

religion-jehovah_s_witnesses-evangelicals-convert-conversion-devil_worship-CS550465_low.jpg

if that is what any other religion's proponent would be allowed to do, fine.
If EVERYONE is required to maintain a "moment of silence" while led in Christian prayer, then they will be required to maintain the same "moment of silence" for any other religion's prayer.

Anything else is government favoring one religion over another.

If EVERYONE is required to maintain a "moment of silence" while led in Christian prayer, then they will be required to maintain the same "moment of silence" for any other religion's prayer.

Anything else is government favoring one religion over another.
Did that happen? Seems to me a coach started praying by himself after games. Anything else is false equivalency.

No, the Coach organized a Team Prayer after the games.
He led a voluntary prayer. A bit different than what your implying. He started by himself, others joined voluntarily. He went back to by himself when asked by the school to stop leading others. Then they asked him to stop altogether on school grounds. None of it was required and all were welcome to pray or not pray to whomever or whatever they believe in.

Team prayers are explicitly what the SC did allow.
Fact check: False

CLAIM: The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that teachers, staff and coaches can now lead students in prayer in public schools.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: Missing context. The nation’s highest court said that a public high school football coach was protected by the Constitution when he knelt and prayed on the field after games. However, the ruling specified that it was “private speech” and the justices in the majority emphasized the fact that the coach prayed after the games were over when he was not responsible for students. Constitutional lawyers say the ruling does not give school employees unfettered freedom to lead students in prayer at school.

Fact check: False

CLAIM: The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that teachers, staff and coaches can now lead students in prayer in public schools.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: Missing context. The nation’s highest court said that a public high school football coach was protected by the Constitution when he knelt and prayed on the field after games. However, the ruling specified that it was “private speech” and the justices in the majority emphasized the fact that the coach prayed after the games were over when he was not responsible for students. Constitutional lawyers say the ruling does not give school employees unfettered freedom to lead students in prayer at school.

Look at the photo on PDF pg. 45 of the opinion, and tell me if you agree with Alito's description:

Joseph Kennedy lost his job as a high school football coach because he knelt at midfield after games to offer a quiet prayer of thanks. Mr. Kennedy prayed during a period when school employees were free to speak with a friend, call for a reservation at a restaurant, check email, or attend to other personal matters. He offered his prayers quietly while his students were otherwise occupied.

If you think it's a "voluntary" prayer when you are a player on the team and your head coach, the guy who decides if you play, is praying, you are fooling yourself.
One he wasn’t the head coach. And two, I’ve been a part of situations like this and not everyone participates, it’s projection on your part assuming all have to participate or they’ll be punished in some way.

Look at the photo on PDF pg. 45 of the opinion, and tell me if you agree with Alito's description:

Joseph Kennedy lost his job as a high school football coach because he knelt at midfield after games to offer a quiet prayer of thanks. Mr. Kennedy prayed during a period when school employees were free to speak with a friend, call for a reservation at a restaurant, check email, or attend to other personal matters. He offered his prayers quietly while his students were otherwise occupied.
2nd to last instance of him praying he was by himself.....last instance he was by himself and then joined by parents.

The last 2 instances would conform with Alito's description. Prior to that some of the players would join him...

Were you alive in the 80s? This comment wreaks of someone who's not familiar with the satanic church.

ADVERTISEMENT