ADVERTISEMENT

adapt or die

Know why you can’t walk into a Sears today? Because CEO after CEO essentially said “I’m pretty sure we won 10 games last year.”

I mean, imagine if Alabama won every single National Championship for more than a century. That was fvcking Sears. But “we were pretty damned good in the 60s; I don’t remember Walmart or Amazon doing much back then…”

QC...you are spot on about adapt or die. Not long ago a CEO of a major corporation decided not to treat his senior managers to their usual and expected ritzy vacation trip. Instead the CEO took the phat cat managers inside a Sears store.
Gave the managers a lesson on what can happen to a #1 business if you don't adapt.

Know why you can’t walk into a Sears today? Because CEO after CEO essentially said “I’m pretty sure we won 10 games last year.”

I mean, imagine if Alabama won every single National Championship for more than a century. That was fvcking Sears. But “we were pretty damned good in the 60s; I don’t remember Walmart or Amazon doing much back then…”
As someone who worked a part time job at Sears during one of their rebranding projects back in college I like that analogy. I sold electronics and the corporate management basically took a Ferentz approach to the threat from Best Buy.

Reactions: spiderland
As someone who worked a part time job at Sears during one of their rebranding projects back in college I like that analogy. I sold electronics and the corporate management basically took a Ferentz approach to the threat from Best Buy.
In 1969, Sears sales alone accounted for 1% of the entire US GDP! With the distribution infrastructure and customer network they already had in place based on their catalog business, they could have easily been Amazon before Amazon. But hey, we’re Sears and this is how we do it. And we’re in 98% of American homes or whatever, and people will never settle for lower quality at Walmart, and people trust Kenmore, and…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT