ADVERTISEMENT

Add OK State to Big Ten

They scored 99.5 the year before. If they stay healthy, which can be said about every team, but applies even more to them because of last season, they should be in the top 5 for sure.

This line up could be quite salty:

125-Mastro-he is a big 125 and put it on McKee early. For them to do well, they need him on the podium.

133-Fix-Can he take 2nd again?

141-Young-A bit of a wild card. He may actually be undersized, which rarely happens there, but due to Fix he is stuck.

149-Voinovich-Tons of potential. 16-1 as a redshirt. He is probably their X factor.

157-Sheets-can and has AA’d.

165-Wittlake-Health is paramount here. He is as good as anyone at the stacked weight. He could be in the finals or not place.

174-Plott was the one guy to shine last year

184-Haas. He was 11-0 redshirting. But, no real wins of note.

197-Ferrari- How he comes back decides what type of team this is.

285-Surber-I have no idea why Smith has such a hard time getting true heavyweights. This guy has heart and shows flashes, but 2-2 is about his ceiling.
Not sure if the 197 will be Ferrari ever again at Okie St.

health is indeed paramount for him, but he is absolutely not as good as anybody at the weight. at his best, he's a second tier guy.
He took 4th the year before and lost to O’Toole 4-3 in that match.

He was 28-2 the covid year and 22-3 that season. Last year was a disaster due to serious health concerns, but he was legitimately a tough out for the top tier of that weight, prior to that.

To be fair, they were more decimated by injuries than even Iowa. Their defending Champ drove his car into a ditch and didn’t compete, Wittlake could barely stand on the mat, by the end of the year. Even Gfeller and Geer were held together by tape.

Still, you just put Ferrari back on the mat and they push into the top 5, let alone Wittlake at 85% or better.
No. Their defending champ tried passing three cars up a cresting hill at high speed in a no passing zone and crashed into an oncoming pickup being driven by a 56-year-old woman who miraculously didn't die. He's lucky that he's not in prison.

No. Their defending champ tried passing three cars up a cresting hill at high speed in a no passing zone and crashed into an oncoming pickup being driven by a 56-year-old woman who miraculously didn't die. He's lucky that he's not in prison.
Details, details… And I’m guessing SOMEBODY ended up in the ditch, so there’s that…

Reactions: MitchLL
Details, details… And I’m guessing SOMEBODY ended up in the ditch, so there’s that…
Yeah, that gets me a little raw, I lost a grandpa from a dumbass kid pulling a similar dipshit stunt behind the wheel in heavy fog. Hits close. Then seeing all the thoughts and prayers and well wishes for a fast recovery going out to AJ... glad he and the other OSU athlete were ok, but f*ck that.

I heard he was driving with no license as well.
And the passenger probably had a license…. Another example of how the **** do some young men ever survive long enough to “wisen up”

lotta people never figured I’d survive this long and it is kind of a miracle I did…. Some people require pain to learn lessons 🙄 thankfully everyone survived that episode of ignorance

Reactions: el dub
He took 4th the year before and lost to O’Toole 4-3 in that match.

He was 28-2 the covid year and 22-3 that season. Last year was a disaster due to serious health concerns, but he was legitimately a tough out for the top tier of that weight, prior to that.
he's never threatened any of the top tier guys. he's tough to score on, but that's it. and his record is inflated by a very weak schedule. his best career win is ethan smith, who he split with. smith is a perfect peer for him and nobody would consider smith a title contender.

he got a dream backside draw to take 4th. got a forfeit from mekhi, then a freshman cam amine who got a forfeit from marinelli, then smith who beat him on the front side, then lost to o'toole. also lost to luke weber at big 12's which is why he was a 10 seed.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
he's never threatened any of the top tier guys. he's tough to score on, but that's it. and his record is inflated by a very weak schedule. his best career win is ethan smith, who he split with. smith is a perfect peer for him and nobody would consider smith a title contender.

he got a dream backside draw to take 4th. got a forfeit from mekhi, then a freshman cam amine who got a forfeit from marinelli, then smith who beat him on the front side, then lost to o'toole. also lost to luke weber at big 12's which is why he was a 10 seed.
I am sorry, but to me, losing 4-3 and 3-2 to Keegan O'Toole is about as big of a "threat" as anyone at the DI level has done so far, excepting his 1 career loss.

Simply put, Wittlake's style IS why I said he could be in the Finals or could not place. You are at anyone's level if you are within 1 point as the match ends. To say otherwise, just isn't accurate. All it takes is one little mistake and you win the match.

Now, that isn't to say I am picking a healthy Wittlake to make the Finals, but to say he shouldn't even be considered with that tier is disingenuous at best...

I am sorry, but to me, losing 4-3 and 3-2 to Keegan O'Toole is about as big of a "threat" as anyone at the DI level has done so far, excepting his 1 career loss.

Simply put, Wittlake's style IS why I said he could be in the Finals or could not place. You are at anyone's level if you are within 1 point as the match ends. To say otherwise, just isn't accurate. All it takes is one little mistake and you win the match.

Now, that isn't to say I am picking a healthy Wittlake to make the Finals, but to say he shouldn't even be considered with that tier is disingenuous at best...
he's not a finals threat. he's a fringe aa. he could wrestle o'toole 100 times and he wouldn't win any of them. and o'toole was improved from his freshman year when he was a 157 wrestling up. absoultely should not be considered in that tier until he beats someone better than ethan smith.

The score was 3-2 LAST SEASON. That was before Wittlake's injuries. I also like how a win over Cam Amine doesn't count...

The score was 3-2 LAST SEASON. That was before Wittlake's injuries. I also like how a win over Cam Amine doesn't count...
it wasn't the same cam amine. his best win that year was peyton robb (who was a top 15ish guy up at 165).

again until he beats somebody in the top tier, i don't consider him a top tier guy. kaleb young also kept it close with a lot of top guys. he was never a threat to win a title. very good with a mid-AA ceiling if he has a good weekend.

the year wittlake took 4th, the weight was missing lewis, marinelli, and kharchla to injury. extremely weak compared to the meat grinder he's headed into this year.

Travis Wittlake is a good guy to use to show the depth of the weight class as a whole, because he is a good wrestler who is a tough out for anybody who wrestles him, but is also simultaneously a low AA kind of guy if he places at all. With the right draw, 4th place may be possible again for him, but I certainly wouldn't consider him a title threat. He's probably in the third tier at the weight (which, admittedly, has some real good wrestlers in it, due to depth of the weight as a whole)

It would be good for college wrestling if Cowboys joined the Big Ten.
No No No GIF

Reactions: el dub and ping72

i dont think i meet the qualifications but here’s the link anyways
If any of this is true….big grain of salt considering the source, but this would be devastating for Okie St. It would take a special coach to handle this family.

Good luck whoever gets him, if he does go anywhere.

Edit to add- I personally don’t mind AJ’s personality, and I hope this past year has helped him mature. If it has, he could be a good get.

evidentially askren said he was told about ferrari going into the portal today. i haven’t listened yet but that is what someone said.

If any of this is true….big grain of salt considering the source, but this would be devastating for Okie St. It would take a special coach to handle this family.

Good luck whoever gets him, if he does go anywhere.

Edit to add- I personally don’t mind AJ’s personality, and I hope this past year has helped him mature. If it has, he could be a good get.
Not a fan. My $$$ is on Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT