ADVERTISEMENT

Adding 2 more bigs a catastrophic miscalculation.

Ok, how can an adult spell it allot? My spell check made me retype it twice.

Two words: a lot.

You're welcome.

Carton's top two schools are Wisconsin and Iowa, what is Wisconsin doing that should blow him away compared to Iowa? No one cares about top 6 finishes? Clearly you do, as you are now barking about not being up there. My point, is that you said Fran couldn't assemble a big ten team. I think he clearly showed he can, by 5 straight top 6 finishes, including 3rd place twice. If you can't own this statement, I'm not sure what else to say. This year is bad, but it should just nullify everything he has done the last few seasons.
So from Carton's mouth to your ear is where you heard that his two choices are Wisconsin and Iowa? Or is that just the rumor? Heck, he could choose a whole different school altogether. And if he does, it'll be yet another devastating blow to Iowa and Fran's future.
I know what I posted and I stand by it. This team doesn't look like a B1G caliber team. You were the one who brought up "top 6 finishes" in the B1G, as if anyone cares about that. I already said I had been a Fran supporter but he's lost me at this point. This doesn't just look like a tough season. This looks like the band playing on the Titanic after they hit the iceberg. I say there's no end in sight because the players we have coming in aren't going to be great athletes, defenders or cat quick PG's. So aside from adding a stud like Wieskamp, what will change next season? I no longer have faith in Fran. I'm not even saying he should be fired immediately as this is the only terrible season he's had at Iowa but to see how fast and far the team has fallen in one season after losing only one key player says that there's more to this collapse IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcbooger
I don’t think adding the bigs was the issue.. I think adding bigs that have athletic short comings was.. I look at Nunge and at times he’s looking like he’s having no fun attall! Just not sure as a true freshman they were ready to compete at the B1G level..

I don’t think adding the bigs was the issue.. I think adding bigs that have athletic short comings was.. I look at Nunge and at times he’s looking like he’s having no fun attall! Just not sure as a true freshman they were ready to compete at the B1G level..

Im not saying they are bad prospects but there was just no need to insert two more bigs into this rotation this year.

The guys last year were doing fine, better than whats happening this year. Much better really.

And the two freshman are bad (Nunge) and god awful (Garza) defenders.

Wagner and Uhl are not good offensive players but they are probably 2 of the 3 best defenders along with Kriener on the team.

Pemsel and Wagner were emotional/example leaders too. Cordell has had his minutes cut in half and is now being forced out of his natural position which is killing his game.

This team needed another guard, obviously.

Ok, I can buy that Fran couldn't find one and took best available prospects, fine. They dont need to be on the court this year because they are terrible defenders.

All its accomplished is making this team worse.

LOL, we've finished in the top 6 of the big ten for FIVE straight years!

You LOL a lot for being a fan of a 1-6 B1G team. How many B1G tourney win's are in that Fran streak? Alford had winning B1G record 3 of his last 4 years, had a B1G tourney title and 2 other B1G title game appearances.

Fran's best team with 4 seniors limped into B1G tourney, got bounced out in B1G tourney, got NCAA bubble seed, and then managed 1 NCAA tourney, before getting demolished in 1st 5 minutes by Villanova.

Last edited:
He offered Tyger Campbell this year. He's offered Carton, Terry, and another pg for next year, and he's offered 4 top 57 players who are all PGs the year after you dolt. Having a bad year is bad enough, adding on with utter stupidity makes it worse.
He should have offered the same types of players in quantity years ago not just now instead of taking bigs and a bunch of combo guys none of which has any desire or ability to play defense

Nothing against Baer, he's a good player, lots of heart. But in the short-term at least, why doesn't Fran utilize a three guard approach? Moss, JBo, and Dailey, with Cook and Garza. Would give us quickness and Dailey is athletic. And, he can still use Baer in the sixth man role.
You can throw out any combination you want from the entire team (which has pretty much been done), and the end result is going to be the same. They aren't very good individually, and collectively they are clearly brutally bad.

I tape the game, watch to see if Iowa is going to have a clue, then fast forward after we get down 20 in the first half. Then go another 10 minutes and see if we cut the deficit any................ nope, fast forward again, rinse and repeat until I can see the final double digit loss tally, again.

They are basically unwatchable. Fundamentally awful. Lickliter like really.

What the f#ck are you talking for? (I'm not talking. You are.)

Shut the f#ck up Donny. (Escalation is a dangerous thing.) Youre out of your elment.(I like that you're intentionally trying to make yourself sound dumb. It's not working the way you think it is..........but I find entertainment in it.)

Where do you coach, Rock?

You can throw out any combination you want from the entire team (which has pretty much been done), and the end result is going to be the same. They aren't very good individually, and collectively they are clearly brutally bad.

I tape the game, watch to see if Iowa is going to have a clue, then fast forward after we get down 20 in the first half. Then go another 10 minutes and see if we cut the deficit any................ nope, fast forward again, rinse and repeat until I can see the final double digit loss tally, again.

They are basically unwatchable. Fundamentally awful. Lickliter like really.

I actually think a different coach with a totally different approach could get allot more out of this team.

There are a few guys who are decent defenders on this team, they just never play.

I would do a compete 180, play all the best defenders + Cook.

If you put Daily, Moss, Wagner, and Baer around Cook, + Kriener and JBO that group could play acceptable defense.

Only have one of JBO or Cook on the floor at a time, always keep 4 good defenders on the floor.

Wed score allot less but so would the other team.

Reactions: Fan In Black
just think what he'd be if he had redshirted a year. I don't get this need to play guys right away. They are not going to the nba, with rare exception and they aren't a running back taking abuse on their body. they have time, an extra year may mean a breakout junior or senior season that might lead to bigger things.

Or it may mean a wasted scholarship on a fifth year senior that Iowa could have used on someone else.

I think the Ellingson redshirt might actually be hurting Iowa, since he would have been a senior this year and that scholly could be used on a PG

I actually think a different coach with a totally different approach could get allot more out of this team.

There are a few guys who are decent defenders on this team, they just never play.

I would do a compete 180, play all the best defenders + Cook.

If you put Daily, Moss, Wagner, and Baer around Cook, + Kriener and JBO that group could play acceptable defense.

Only have one of JBO or Cook on the floor at a time, always keep 4 good defenders on the floor.

Wed score allot less but so would the other team.
That is a terrible idea. Wagner doesn't play good enough defense to earn any minutes. You can't tell when Moss is on the court most of the time. Your lineup would have us losing by 40 instead of 20.

I wouldn't go as far as catastrophic, but 2 bigs in this class were clearly not where the need was. It is inexplicable that Fran has constructed the roster as it stands.
And as has been brought up many times already, there are guards at a lot of mid majors that would be upgrades for the Iowa backcourt. It is nonsense that they couldn't have landed two guards from the large pool of players not going to a top 30 program but who would relish the opportunity to compete in the B1G.
Fran made choices as the CEO of the program. The result has been a precipitous decline in the company's value.

Reactions: HawkLogic
I think what happened with Christian Williams might have affected things as well. It didn't make any sense to go out and get two bigs when they needed competent guards and the fact that they just signed 3 bigs in the previous class. But it also didn't make sense to be playing Connor McCaffery as second team PG in practice when he was redshirting. That just seems like favoritism for the coaches son. It forced CW to transfer and I would imagine it may have got under the skin of players.

It seems like the only player that has taken a big step forward this year is Cook and a couple players have been worse than last year; Pemsl, Ellingson, Baer.

Fran's problem is that when he misses on his top targets he then goes for projects instead of seeking transfers either from D1 or JUCO. You can't have a team full of maybes in the Big Ten. The only person I have seen successfully recruit projects and use redshirts in a major conference is Bo Ryan. He also doesn't move guys on when it is clear that they are misses.

Another example of a weird move is CJ Frederick. He is basically a worse version of Joe Wieskamp. Or in other words a Josh Oglesby or Brady Ellingson. There is no need for CJ Frederick. Go find a PG.

So from Carton's mouth to your ear is where you heard that his two choices are Wisconsin and Iowa? Or is that just the rumor? Heck, he could choose a whole different school altogether. And if he does, it'll be yet another devastating blow to Iowa and Fran's future.
I know what I posted and I stand by it. This team doesn't look like a B1G caliber team. You were the one who brought up "top 6 finishes" in the B1G, as if anyone cares about that. I already said I had been a Fran supporter but he's lost me at this point. This doesn't just look like a tough season. This looks like the band playing on the Titanic after they hit the iceberg. I say there's no end in sight because the players we have coming in aren't going to be great athletes, defenders or cat quick PG's. So aside from adding a stud like Wieskamp, what will change next season? I no longer have faith in Fran. I'm not even saying he should be fired immediately as this is the only terrible season he's had at Iowa but to see how fast and far the team has fallen in one season after losing only one key player says that there's more to this collapse IMO.
Wisconsin is still Iowa's biggest competition for Carton. https://247sports.com/Player/DJ-Carton-46040438

No no no, you said, and I quote "He's shown that he doesn't know how to or even want to build a B1G caliber team." Don't try to sway from your original stupid statement after being proven wrong. Finishing in the top 6 of the big ten for five straight seasons, is about as much proof that any moron would need to understand your statement was wrong.

Adding Weiskamp will absolutely help this team next year, I'm not sure how people are actually pretending it won't. He'll be the highest rate recruit #42, that we've gotten in quite some time. Woody was #50, Smith was #43. Going back 16 years nobody has been ranked higher. It's amazing to me how far people will go to be negative on this board.

Wieskamp is a taller version of Matt Thomas, the former ISU kid. He will help with shooting but he isn't going to help the PG issues or the defensive issues which are the two glaring weaknesses of this team. So I don't think it is out of line to say he won't help much next year if by help much you mean help them go from horrible to good.

Also, I don't know why people are counting Carton as part of the future of the Hawks?

Fran won't be at Iowa in 2 years for DJ Carton if Fran puts up another B1G Last place type performance.

If Iowa were well coached and played defense and didn't turn the ball over, I would have more faith that next year won't be similar to this year. The fact that Fran is still rolling out crazy ass lineups to keep 10 guys reasonably happy with PT tells me Fran has not accepted responsibility for this mess.

I think what happened with Christian Williams might have affected things as well. It didn't make any sense to go out and get two bigs when they needed competent guards and the fact that they just signed 3 bigs in the previous class. But it also didn't make sense to be playing Connor McCaffery as second team PG in practice when he was redshirting. That just seems like favoritism for the coaches son. It forced CW to transfer and I would imagine it may have got under the skin of players.

It seems like the only player that has taken a big step forward this year is Cook and a couple players have been worse than last year; Pemsl, Ellingson, Baer.
Trying to read the tea leaves on Williams, but he needed hip surgery right. He needed hip surgery and would have to miss the year. I'm guessing that when Fran was told he needed hip surgery, Fran probably thought redshirting him and putting 7 in that sophomore class was just too much.

People keep forgetting that we will be adding Wisekamp AND, in a sense, Connor Mac. With BOTH of these guys at 100%, this is an instant upgrade to the back court.
I think most on this board are selling Connor short - His passing and court vision will help on offense and his length will really help guarding opponents PG's.

People keep forgetting that we will be adding Wisekamp AND, in a sense, Connor Mac. With BOTH of these guys at 100%, this is an instant upgrade to the back court.
I think most on this board are selling Connor short - His passing and court vision will help on offense and his length will really help guarding opponents PG's.
Asking Connor to man defend other teams quicker PGs is just asking for the same results we are seeing this year with JBo, He doesn't have the feet to do that. He shouldn't be asked to do that by a competent Coach either.

That is a terrible idea. Wagner doesn't play good enough defense to earn any minutes. You can't tell when Moss is on the court most of the time. Your lineup would have us losing by 40 instead of 20.

Lol, ok.

Im not sure you have a clue what youre talking about but what we are doing now is a total disaster.

If theres a way to actually lose a game by 40 its playing no defense, exactly whats happening.

Asking Connor to man defend other teams quicker PGs is just asking for the same results we are seeing this year with JBo, He doesn't have the feet to do that. He shouldn't be asked to do that by a competent Coach either.

Connor isnt going to be a great defender but there will be a huge difference between him and JBO.

Reactions: ClintBarton
Wisconsin is still Iowa's biggest competition for Carton. https://247sports.com/Player/DJ-Carton-46040438

No no no, you said, and I quote "He's shown that he doesn't know how to or even want to build a B1G caliber team." Don't try to sway from your original stupid statement after being proven wrong. Finishing in the top 6 of the big ten for five straight seasons, is about as much proof that any moron would need to understand your statement was wrong.

Adding Weiskamp will absolutely help this team next year, I'm not sure how people are actually pretending it won't. He'll be the highest rate recruit #42, that we've gotten in quite some time. Woody was #50, Smith was #43. Going back 16 years nobody has been ranked higher. It's amazing to me how far people will go to be negative on this board.
It's becoming painfully apparent that you're one of those easily butthurt idiots that takes one nuance of a post and harps on it until it's clear to everyone that you're just an idiot, trying desperately to be right. Right now Iowa does not have a viable B1G team and it has ZERO to do with seasons past. This is Fran's eighth season at Iowa and there's no excuse for this trainwreck. He failed miserably in two of the previous recruiting classes and we're watching the fruits of that futility right now. But you STILL think Fran can build a B1G team? So how many more times does Fran need to fail before you acknowledge what every intelligent Iowa fan already knows? Fran said he was getting two rim protectors with Garza and Nunge. Would you describe that statement as accurate? Since you think Fran knows what he's doing, you must be in agreement with his ridiculous statement. That's called delusion, son.

Connor's only weakness will be lack of experience in the B1G but he'll be just fine defending on this level. People are acting like he has two left feet. He doesn't need to be Gary Payton. Just play smart and hustle which is what he does.

It's becoming painfully apparent that you're one of those easily butthurt idiots that takes one nuance of a post and harps on it until it's clear to everyone that you're just an idiot, trying desperately to be right. Right now Iowa does not have a viable B1G team and it has ZERO to do with seasons past. This is Fran's eighth season at Iowa and there's no excuse for this trainwreck. He failed miserably in two of the previous recruiting classes and we're watching the fruits of that futility right now. But you STILL think Fran can build a B1G team? So how many more times does Fran need to fail before you acknowledge what every intelligent Iowa fan already knows? Fran said he was getting two rim protectors with Garza and Nunge. Would you describe that statement as accurate? Since you think Fran knows what he's doing, you must be in agreement with his ridiculous statement. That's called delusion, son.
If it has 0 reasons to do with season past, then why did you infer that? I'm not trying desperately to be right, I AM right. Again, you wrote "He's shown that he doesn't know how to or even want to build a B1G caliber team." How is this statement accurate in any way? How are you mad at me for saying what you said was idiotic, when it was idiotic. I STILL think Fran can build a B1G team because he already has, this isn't that hard. I'm not sure you are even aware what you are arguing anymore. You rambled on about a bunch of things that I never inferred or said, it's really weird. I do think Fran failed in the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes, and it is definitely showing. However, I like our 16 and 17 classes, and really like what is on the doorstep. If we fail again next year like this, I won't be arguing for Fran, I promise you that. I don't know the future and I DO think Garza and Nunge will be very good players for us the next few years. They are definitely NOT rim protectors, nor do I know what that has to do with our current conversation. I DO think Weiskamp will be a difference maker, and one of our top 4/5 players NEXT year. I DO think Connor will help next year as well.
Every program outside of the blue bloods has up and down years. I don't care that it's his 8TH year, it doesn't matter to me, I know that every program has up and down years, we are no different. Look in our conference if you need further proof. Wisky is way down this year for Christ sakes. ISU, UNI, Pitt, Syracuse, Georgetown, Baylor, Okie State, Cal, Oregon, Utah, and Vandy among others.
And as far as to which type of fan I am, I'd rather be any type of fan, other than the one who creates an account anonymously and just types out idiotic things that make no sense. The fact you can't even admit you said something stupid anonymously, shows you have no backbone. If you don't want someone to hone in on something you said that was idiotic, don't say idiotic things. It's not that hard.

If it has 0 reasons to do with season past, then why did you infer that? I'm not trying desperately to be right, I AM right. Again, you wrote "He's shown that he doesn't know how to or even want to build a B1G caliber team." How is this statement accurate in any way? How are you mad at me for saying what you said was idiotic, when it was idiotic. I STILL think Fran can build a B1G team because he already has, this isn't that hard. I'm not sure you are even aware what you are arguing anymore. You rambled on about a bunch of things that I never inferred or said, it's really weird. I do think Fran failed in the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes, and it is definitely showing. However, I like our 16 and 17 classes, and really like what is on the doorstep. If we fail again next year like this, I won't be arguing for Fran, I promise you that. I don't know the future and I DO think Garza and Nunge will be very good players for us the next few years. They are definitely NOT rim protectors, nor do I know what that has to do with our current conversation. I DO think Weiskamp will be a difference maker, and one of our top 4/5 players NEXT year. I DO think Connor will help next year as well.
Every program outside of the blue bloods has up and down years. I don't care that it's his 8TH year, it doesn't matter to me, I know that every program has up and down years, we are no different. Look in our conference if you need further proof. Wisky is way down this year for Christ sakes. ISU, UNI, Pitt, Syracuse, Georgetown, Baylor, Okie State, Cal, Oregon, Utah, and Vandy among others.
And as far as to which type of fan I am, I'd rather be any type of fan, other than the one who creates an account anonymously and just types out idiotic things that make no sense. The fact you can't even admit you said something stupid anonymously, shows you have no backbone. If you don't want someone to hone in on something you said that was idiotic, don't say idiotic things. It's not that hard.
You wanna know whats idiotic? Frans coaching.

All one has to do is look at Iowa's roster to acknowledge that I'm right. Not sure why you're butthurt by my truthful statement but there's probably a Visine for that.

Suggested 3 guard to improve quickness that's all. Team has looked a little green around the gills lately.
It's not a bad suggestion, if we had more than 3 guards that could play. To run 3 guards, you need at least 5, preferably 6 guards on the roster.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Some on this board, not me, think that the players you say Fran f#cked, don't even belong on BIG rosters. Adding good players was not and will continue not to be the problem for Iowa basketball. Losing 2 pg's, that would have seen a lot of time, caused a lot of our problems.

Some on this board, not me, think that the players you say Fran f#cked, don't even belong on BIG rosters. Adding good players was not and will continue not to be the problem for Iowa basketball. Losing 2 pg's, that would have seen a lot of time, caused a lot of our problems.
I have no idea what you are referring to by this "the players you say Fran f#cked".

But I completely disagree with this assessment, "Adding good players was not and will continue not to be the problem for Iowa basketball."

It is painfully obvious that there is a lack of quality athletes and B1G caliber players at the guard position on this roster. Williams was at best a supporting player that might give a few minutes a game in relief. Connor appeared to have a very good court sense and is a good passer and director of the offense but is athletically limited, doesn't have a very good outside shot, and is not quick enough to take opposing guards off the dribble.

In short, Iowa is sorely lacking in quality athletic guard play on both ends of the court.
While the 2 point guards that aren't playing(Williams and Connor) might have helped they are still significantly lacking as compared to other point guards in the B1G.

A roster upgrade is most definitely needed.

I have no idea what you are referring to by this "the players you say Fran f#cked".

But I completely disagree with this assessment, "Adding good players was not and will continue not to be the problem for Iowa basketball."

It is painfully obvious that there is a lack of quality athletes and B1G caliber players at the guard position on this roster. Williams was at best a supporting player that might give a few minutes a game in relief. Connor appeared to have a very good court sense and is a good passer and director of the offense but is athletically limited, doesn't have a very good outside shot, and is not quick enough to take opposing guards off the dribble.

In short, Iowa is sorely lacking in quality athletic guard play on both ends of the court.
While the 2 point guards that aren't playing(Williams and Connor) might have helped they are still significantly lacking as compared to other point guards in the B1G.

A roster upgrade is most definitely needed.

The op started this post stating that Fran f#ched Uhl, Wagner, Pemsl and Kreiner by adding Nunge and Garza. We can always use good athletic guards, that's not new. We take the best available, realizing that people get hurt, transfer or whatever and if the 2 backups were playing, this season goes better for us, IMHO.

All one has to do is look at Iowa's roster to acknowledge that I'm right. Not sure why you're butthurt by my truthful statement but there's probably a Visine for that.
Yes, we can all agree this year sucks and they aren't competitive. I'm agreeing with you there, sh** for brains. However, you weren't just talking about this year, until now. Again, no backbone.

Yes, we can all agree this year sucks and they aren't competitive. I'm agreeing with you there, sh** for brains. However, you weren't just talking about this year, until now. Again, no backbone.
You are a liar and a trolling dumbass. Ignore my posts in the future, db. Problem solved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT