ADVERTISEMENT

Addition of Maryland and Rutgers has ruined the BTT

SoonerBeAHawk

HB Heisman
Nov 27, 2005
... Nebraska joining didn't help either.

There are now 8 colors of red in the beloved pinwheel logo to just six other colors.

I mean there is right, and then there is right ... and that just ain't right.

Maryland and Rutgers ruined the B1G by the fact that the conference is doing things like having the tournament in NYC. When the tournament is in NYC, it will be a joke. We will be done 10-11 days before selection Sunday.

Originally posted by hansenhawk:
Should have added Kansas, Texas, and Notre Dame and became a true super power.
Takes 3 to tango.

Texas and ND would join the B10 over their collective dead bodies. TX doesn't need the B10, and ND felt screwed by them decades ago and will never come back into the fold. Kansas doesn't play football...so this would never have been even a remote possibility.

Originally posted by bagdropper:
Originally posted by hansenhawk:
Should have added Kansas, Texas, and Notre Dame and became a true super power.
Takes 3 to tango.

Texas and ND would join the B10 over their collective dead bodies. TX doesn't need the B10, and ND felt screwed by them decades ago and will never come back into the fold. Kansas doesn't play football...so this would never have been even a remote possibility.
Texas also has it's own "Longhorn television network" through ESPN that they'd probably have to give up if they became a part of the Big Ten. Notre Dame of course has had NBC over the years too.

Way too early to judge Rutgers and Maryland results. I remember seeing something where Maryland had almost as many B1G championships in all sports in they're first 6 months as Iowa had in the last 5-7 years, can't remember exactly. Plus they just won women's bb and were 2nd in men's.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
Maryland and Rutgers ruined the B1G by the fact that the conference is doing things like having the tournament in NYC. When the tournament is in NYC, it will be a joke. We will be done 10-11 days before selection Sunday.
I was watching the Replay of the Indiana vs Iowa game and they were saying that the Big Ten is adding Lacrosse??? Heard that John Hopkins is a member of the Big Ten in Lacrosse and I couldn't believe it.

Does Iowa even offer that as a sport? During the telecast they said the Michigan just added it last year. Boy more $$ going away.

Give it up both were good additions. We may have trouble with them in the future which will make fans dislike them even more. I don't think Iowa dislikes the big check they get from the BTN every year and the addition of the last two teams added hundreds of thousands of TV sets to the network. The name of the game is money if you want to admit or not. Every athletic department needs it.

Originally posted by illhawkdvv:

Give it up both were good additions. We may have trouble with them in the future which will make fans dislike them even more. I don't think Iowa dislikes the big check they get from the BTN every year and the addition of the last two teams added hundreds of thousands of TV sets to the network. The name of the game is money if you want to admit or not. Every athletic department needs it.

But it is so.........

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=money+makes+the+world+go+around&qpvt=money+makes+the+world+go+around&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=FD7CC2D9560E1D058015FD7CC2D9560E1D058015

Maryland and Rutgers are middle of the pack in the B1G in academics and research dollars. They are great additions at the institutional level.

The B1G added lacrosse, with Johns Hopkins as the first associate member in any sport. Johns Hopkins is by far #1 in the country in research funding.

The Maryland/Rutgers/Johns Hopkins penumbra affect on the NE/DC/research is going to be great for the conference in the long run.

Athletic dollars are icing.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:

This....100x this.

I don't mind NYC too much if it's a once every 4 year thing (don't like it but I can live with it)......what I find INCOMPREHENSABLE is that we're pushing up the end of the season a week to do it. Insanity....

Originally posted by ichawk24:
Maryland and Rutgers are middle of the pack in the B1G in academics and research dollars. They are great additions at the institutional level.

The B1G added lacrosse, with Johns Hopkins as the first associate member in any sport. Johns Hopkins is by far #1 in the country in research funding.

The Maryland/Rutgers/Johns Hopkins penumbra affect on the NE/DC/research is going to be great for the conference in the long run.

I agree. And Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in America and is HUGE on the East coast and here in Michigan. The BIG made a very smart move getting a perennial power like Johns Hopkins in. Maryland is also usually very good. It's a great sport, very fun to watch too, don't be so quick to poo poo it people. I can think of other sports I would like to see go away before that one. Iowa has a Club team I think.

Speaking of affiliate members I see that the B12 is going to add Air Force, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley, and Wyoming for wrestling. They were added so conference champion wrestlers would be automatic qualifiers for the NCAA tournament.

Originally posted by mstp1992:
Of all the things to worry about in life, lacrosse in the Big Ten rates orders of magnitude below the cricket matches between India and Bangladesh.
I don't know. Bangladesh is pretty good this year. I'm picking them to win it all.

(Whatever all is)

Originally posted by HawksDominate:

Originally posted by ichawk24:

I agree. And Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in America and is HUGE on the East coast and here in Michigan. The BIG made a very smart move getting a perennial power like Johns Hopkins in. Maryland is also usually very good. It's a great sport, very fun to watch too, don't be so quick to poo poo it people. I can think of other sports I would like to see go away before that one. Iowa has a Club team I think.
It is adult whack-a-mole - freaking fun to watch. Saw a guy take the ball to ribs (just between the pads, was on his knees spitting up blood and went to the hospital). Big defenders (Iowa has 2 6'7 LB's protecting the goal so their wing span along with the stick covers a lot of space) and fast offensive attackers.

Iowa's LaCrosse is "intramural" and is currently in The Great Rivers Lacrosse Conference (GRLC) consists of 11 Division I teams and 17 Division II teams, representing Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Ohio, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Tennessee, Nebraska, Wisconsin.

It is not on the same page as John Hopkins or Maryland's LaCrosse...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT