ADVERTISEMENT

Adele slammed for telling gender-neutral award show she loves ‘being a woman’

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
What a monster. The bolded portion makes me thing that person has to post here with that leap of logic. Amazing.
Adele has been accused of transphobia after her speech accepting the Artist of the Year gong at the Brit Awards on Wednesday.

For the first time, the Brits were gender-neutral, meaning there were no male or female categories.

But when Adele took to the stage to accept the award, she said: “I understand why the name of this award has changed, but I really love being a woman and being a female artist.”

“I do!” she said.

“I’m really proud of us, I really, really am.”

While her comments garnered applause in the audience at London’s O2 Arena, the online reaction was quite different, with some calling her comments “anti-trans.”

“Please, no, Adele, don’t be a TERF (trans-exclusionary radical feminist),” one person tweeted.

Britain Brit Awards 2022 Show

Adele’s acceptance speech at the Brit Awards caused some controversy. Credit: AP
Who’d have thought Adele was a transphobe and would use her platform to call for the destruction of the trans community?” another person raged.

“Especially the confused teenagers.”

Twitter police have WAY too much influence. Lunatic fringe really...
I think it's the result of lazy "writers" that use twitter key word searches to fill out their articles. Instead of reporting, they can find a half-dozen crazy extreme statements made by random nobody twitterers, paste it into their "article" and now that minor, fringe viewpoint has a voice, and an audience to consume it.

I think it's the result of lazy "writers" that use twitter key word searches to fill out their articles. Instead of reporting, they can find a half-dozen crazy extreme statements made by random nobody twitterers, paste it into their "article" and now that minor, fringe viewpoint has a voice, and an audience to consume it.
Totally agree.....

Unfortunately journalists and politicians pay WAY too much attention to what's happening on Twitter ect....they think it's a barometer for public opinion. It's a barometer of the lunatic fringe....

Totally agree.....

Unfortunately journalists and politicians pay WAY too much attention to what's happening on Twitter ect....they think it's a barometer for public opinion. It's a barometer of the lunatic fringe....
Some politicians do. The ones who feel social influencer is now part of the job. Most are fairly bland on it. It's the Ted Cruz, MTG, AOC, etc that fill the space. And make everyone think they are more important than they actually are.

Totally agree.....

I think this is a big cause of a LOT of perceived conflict and hostilities. 99% of people don't care enough to take the time to go spout off hot takes online. So there's never a voice for the "generally satisfied" - by default the "lunatic fringe" at either end get portrayed as the "voice" and overall sentiment for an entire group, when it's not.

Similarly, my daughter reads articles/posts on reddit and instagram all the time, and it's always bad news. It's caused her to feel that she's generally unsafe, and perpetually surrounded by dangers. I've tried to explain to her that those things are only written/posted to get views and clicks, and that no one is ever going to read millions of posts about how someone had a completely ordinary day in which nothing noteworthy happened. You don't ever see the instances where things worked out like they were supposed to (I went to DMV and got my registration renewed in ~5 minutes; I opened the door to a stranger and it was a guy trying to sell fencing so I said no thank you and he left; etc.). Rather, you only hear all the worst case stuff. I guess for someone who doesn't have as much actual experience with things being "routine" and normal all the time, she thinks these horror stories are the norm, and it's hard to overcome that with "no, really, most everything in day to day life is boring and unremarkable".

Some politicians do. The ones who feel social influencer is now part of the job. Most are fairly bland on it. It's the Ted Cruz, MTG, AOC, etc that fill the space. And make everyone think they are more important than they actually are.
All their staffs are active on Twitter.....they influence their bosses IMO.

I blame some of the stupid comments by politicians when the "defund the police" stuff first came out on Twitter/social media. Lot's of folks had to walk back their initial comments of support.....

the online reaction was quite different, with some calling her comments “anti-trans.”

I'm really curious what this "online" contingent looks like. Is it 11 cheeto fingered slobs playing on twitter, or is it 50,000 or more gainfully employed people?

I'm guessing it's closer to the first.

Well…trans people are a minor fringe aren’t they? Not in a negative way just in numbers. And not reporting on them isn’t really an option for many.

At the rate he does. Absolutely.
Oh STFU. I post and start threads on more topics than just about anyone here. Just because you’re too dumb to escape your own tunnel vision, doesn’t mean your version of reality has any truth to it. Because it doesn’t.

A couple random idiots write something on Twitter. Another idiot decides to write an article about those tweets. Yet another idiot runs to post that bias confirming article on HROT.
And here another idiot posts his disapproval and the final idiot gives that idiot a LIKE of approval for said idiot’s dislike of a post decrying someone else’s dislike of something.

Welcome to the idiot layer cake.

How is she being transphobic? She said she loves being a woman and female artist. Can’t anyone today become a woman and thus a female artist?

And here another idiot posts his disapproval and the final idiot gives that idiot a LIKE of approval for said idiot’s dislike of a post decrying someone else’s dislike of something.

Welcome to the idiot layer cake.
I do like cake.

All their staffs are active on Twitter.....they influence their bosses IMO.

I blame some of the stupid comments by politicians when the "defund the police" stuff first came out on Twitter/social media. Lot's of folks had to walk back their initial comments of support.....
Well people like Madison Cawthorne have said communication is the most important part of the job. Instead of legislation. Referring more to the show pony types. Most of these guys/gals tweet bland things. MTG's are out to create attention and generate money that way.

How is she being transphobic? She said she loves being a woman and female artist. Can’t anyone today become a woman and thus a female artist?
She wasn't unless she said she said something like a "real" woman or Cisgender woman or something else that was a shot at transgender women.

ADVERTISEMENT