ADVERTISEMENT

Adjustments: More PT: Mulvey, Standfort, Dix. Less PT: Ulis, Perk, Bowen

KcTo

HR All-American
Feb 6, 2020
Midseason adjustment time to improve defense, rim protection, 3 point shooting

1. always have 2 of these 3 on the floor. Kris, Rebraca, Mulvey. IOWA can’t go small and agin we saw Kris pick up his 2nd 1st half foul while playing post D aginst the Center, while Rebraca was out of game. Kris was banished to 2 foul jail. Play Mulvey and no more small lineups (Add Ogundele to the mix when healthy)

2. Reimagine PG. theres no need to have 2 PGs that have trouble scoring. Split the time with CMac ahead of Ulis, 2 guards that have problems scoring, rather this, 1 PG with legit shooting 2 guard, Bowen in limited minutes. (He’s not produced anything yet)

3. Dix to #2. Dix shows he can be a very efficient 3pt shooter, while filling up box score. Give Dix 5-6 3pt FGA/gm. Perk off bench

4. Sandfort. This kid plays like he’s the 2nd coming of Larry Bird for 3 games and Fran promptly drop his minutes from 27/Gm to 20. Becuse what? ( Fran minor blunder?) I’d move him to a #3 slot, bench Ulis, and give him more minutes. Plus his added rebounding can only help this undersized lineup.

5. Consider rescinding the 2 and 3 foul jail. Murray sits again in 1h but then agin only ends up with minimal fouls. It’s simply only going to reinforce Kris to play less defense. The last thing thsi Iowa team needs.

This will give Iowa starting lineup 4 best 3 point shooters, more size, more paint defense, more rebounding.

Last edited:
I cannot understand the minutes Ulis continues to get.
I agree 100%

The concomitant use of Ulis AND CMac hinders this team as neither is a real #2 shooting guard. CMac has made significant improvements, but I think I’d take Dix 3 pt pedigree.

Ulis has struggled with his 3 pt shooting and Dix would be a huge differential improvement

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
I agree 100%

The concomitant use of Ulis AND CMac hinders this team as neither is a real #2 shooting guard. CMac has made significant improvements, but I think I’d take Dix 3 pt pedigree.

Ulis has struggled with his 3 pt shooting and Dix would be a huge differential improvement
Hoping you meant PG, Ulis has NEVER been positioned as a 2Guard. Ulis is probably getting too many minutes, but talk of benching him is ludicrous. He is largely safe, steady but needs to create more easy buckets and be very selective with his outside shooting. Not really his strength.

I completely agree with playing Dix more.

Reactions: kceasthawk and KcTo

1. always have 2 of these 3 on the floor. Kris, Rebraca, Mulvey. IOWA can’t go small and agin we saw Kris pick up his 2nd 1st half foul while playing post D aginst the Center, while Rebraca was out of game. Kris was banished to 2 foul jail. Play Mulvey and no more small lineups (Add Ogundele to the mix when healthy)

2. Reimagine PG. theres no need to have 2 PGs that have trouble scoring. Split the time with CMac ahead of Ulis, 2 guards that have problems scoring, rather this, 1 PG with legit shooting 2 guard, Bowen in limited minutes. (He’s not produced anything yet)

3. Dix to #2. Dix shows he can be a very efficient 3pt shooter, while filling up box score. Give Dix 5-6 3pt FGA/gm. Perk off bench

4. Sandfort. This kid plays like he’s the 2nd coming of Larry Bird for 3 games and Fran promptly drop his minutes from 27/Gm to 20. Becuse what? ( Fran minor blunder?) I’d move him to a #3 slot, bench Ulis, and give him more minutes. Plus his added rebounding can only help this undersized lineup.

5. Consider rescinding the 2 and 3 foul jail. Murray sits again in 1h but then agin only ends up with minimal fouls. It’s simply only going to reinforce Kris to play less defense. The last thing thsi Iowa team needs.

This will give Iowa starting lineup 4 best 3 point shooters, more size, more paint defense, more rebounding.
Pretty much agree. I’ve thought for a while now that Connor should be our starting point instead of Ullis. Hate to say it, but Bowen isn’t ready for crucial minutes. Dix needs more minutes, if Perkins isn’t playing well then I’d go to him quickly. Heck, I’d think about starting Dix along with Perkins and Connor. Either Kris or Payton needs to be on the floor at all times, no one else is offensive threat they are.

Hoping you meant PG, Ulis has NEVER been positioned as a 2Guard. Ulis is probably getting too many minutes, but talk of benching him is ludicrous. He is largely safe, steady but needs to create more easy buckets and be very selective with his outside shooting. Not really his strength.

I completely agree with playing Dix more.
I dont mean benching him to be 0 minutes. No not that. Rather CMac to start and Ulis to back him up, is a bteer way to describe what I’d do.

Ulis and CMac combine for quite a few rather empty offensive minutes / game,

rather imagine those exceess minutes going to sharp shooting tandem of Dix and Sandfort,

this would further improve offensive efficiency as they both shoot Mai ly 3’s and do so very well

Pretty much agree. I’ve thought for a while now that Connor should be our starting point instead of Ullis. Hate to say it, but Bowen isn’t ready for crucial minutes. Dix needs more minutes, if Perkins isn’t playing well then I’d go to him quickly. Heck, I’d think about starting Dix along with Perkins and Connor. Either Kris or Payton needs to be on the floor at all times, no one else is offensive threat they are.
So this is what I envision

rebraca-Mulvey
kris
sandfort-perk
Dix-Perk
Cmac-Ulis

Until yesterday, CMac had been shooting well. He really is playing the 3 and guarding a forward from the other team most of the time, although he is a hybrid PG/SG/3 on offense. I want him to keep getting about 30 minutes, and doing what he has been doing.

Ulis is playing a too many minutes, although he is playing much better than most on here on giving him credit for. He is our toughest guard. He has been better than Perkins in most games recently. I do like Dix getting more minutes, and I think he has been. Perkins is still important player, but he does need to start playing better than he has for the past few weeks, except for one game. The question will be who loses minutes when Patrick returns, even if he is off the bench. Fran will have some tough decisions.

Mulvey has at least shown he deserves to get a few minutes, but I don't have confidence in more than about 10 min for him, against centers, hopefully when the back up is in for the opponent.

Sandfort can be a game changer, but he was not very good, especially on defense, against OSU. He needs time, but his minutes might depend on his first few shots for me.

I was hoping for a lot more from Bowen by this point in the season, but I agree, he has only earned spot minutes.

McCaffery probably us not going to change his game personnel plan any time soon with the exception Pmac return. JMO

Until yesterday, CMac had been shooting well. He really is playing the 3 and guarding a forward from the other team most of the time, although he is a hybrid PG/SG/3 on offense. I want him to keep getting about 30 minutes, and doing what he has been doing.

Ulis is playing a too many minutes, although he is playing much better than most on here on giving him credit for. He is our toughest guard. He has been better than Perkins in most games recently. I do like Dix getting more minutes, and I think he has been. Perkins is still important player, but he does need to start playing better than he has for the past few weeks, except for one game. The question will be who loses minutes when Patrick returns, even if he is off the bench. Fran will have some tough decisions.

Mulvey has at least shown he deserves to get a few minutes, but I don't have confidence in more than about 10 min for him, against centers, hopefully when the back up is in for the opponent.

Sandfort can be a game changer, but he was not very good, especially on defense, against OSU. He needs time, but his minutes might depend on his first few shots for me.

I was hoping for a lot more from Bowen by this point in the season, but I agree, he has only earned spot minutes.

Very good input all around. I think I was most disappointed in Sandfort yesterday because he is a lot better than he played defensively. Gayle abused him a couple of times and someone else got him too. I’m not trying to single out Sandfort because nobody played well especially on the defense end, but Sandfort didn’t play to his capabilities. He did have a nice three in transition that barley moved the net. Sandfort got screwed not once but twice on the and ones. The second one I believe he hit a three instead though.

Perkins had a great game vs Maryland where he was super aggressive attacking the rim. Then seemed to revert back against OSU. He was mostly successful in the few times he did attack in getting the basket or the foul. Perkins needs to keep being aggressive, under control.

Would love to see more time for Dix and at the PG spot. Id like to see him shoot more too.

I was hoping for a lot more from Bowen by this point in the season, but I agree, he has only earned spot minutes

you mention game changer, imagine these current 3pt FG%

kris 38%
cmac 38%
Dix 46%
Sandfort 50% (last 5 games)

imagine these guys when they shoot to these FG%, and get more PT and get more 3PT FG%..?
your looking at 12-13 made 3 FG / game.

IOWA was unbeaten when making 11/game

Put in who ever plays the best D if that is even possible and C-Mac at Pg no thanks. Just have to face reality the roster is light on quality bigs and depth at pf/c. Take the lumps with Bowen now play him otherwise will probably transfer.

Reactions: eyesofhawk

kris 38%
cmac 38%
Dix 46%

imagine these guys when they shoot to these FG%, and get more PT and get more 3PT FG%..?

3 point shooting is not the issue. The last 5 games:

v Indiana: 7/19 37%
@ Rutgers: 12/27 44%
v Michigan: 12/30 40%
v Maryland: 6/14 43%
@ Ohio St.: 11/24 46%
5 game average: 9.6/22.8 42%

I might also add that during this same stretch Ulis is 5/10 50% from 3.

The issue of this team starts and stops on the defensive end of the court. Period. We are fine offensively.

Bowen will be fine. He’s not ready. If he was Fran would be playing him more. Dix is fine as well. What we really need is Perkins to be the Perkins he was the last half of last year and beginning of this year. Dix is not a great athlete. He’s a nice skilled player but him and Sandfort really struggled on defense against Ohio State. It happens. Perkins brings things other guys can’t do. He just needs to start doing it.

Reactions: longliveCS40
Bowen will be fine. He’s not ready. If he was Fran would be playing him more. Dix is fine as well. What we really need is Perkins to be the Perkins he was the last half of last year and beginning of this year. Dix is not a great athlete. He’s a nice skilled player but him and Sandfort really struggled on defense against Ohio State. It happens. Perkins brings things other guys can’t do. He just needs to start doing it.
Bowen isn't ready to play up to Frans no turnovers standard but he has natural ballhandling ability that the rest of the guards will never have.

The way he shook Sensabaugh with that cross over is not something anyone else is going to do on this team.

At some point you just have to give talent more leeway to play their game if its going to pay off for you.

Dix has been good on defense before this game.

Sandfort had a lot of trouble handling screens, no doubt.

Very good input all around. I think I was most disappointed in Sandfort yesterday because he is a lot better than he played defensively. Gayle abused him a couple of times and someone else got him too. I’m not trying to single out Sandfort because nobody played well especially on the defense end, but Sandfort didn’t play to his capabilities. He did have a nice three in transition that barley moved the net. Sandfort got screwed not once but twice on the and ones. The second one I believe he hit a three instead though.

Perkins had a great game vs Maryland where he was super aggressive attacking the rim. Then seemed to revert back against OSU. He was mostly successful in the few times he did attack in getting the basket or the foul. Perkins needs to keep being aggressive, under control.

Would love to see more time for Dix and at the PG spot. Id like to see him shoot more too.
Agree on Sandfort, he’s usually solid on defense but yesterday he looked atrocious. At one point he left the guy with the ball to guard a screener. Just crazy.

As for Connor (and what another poster said) I think his most natural position is point.

I also think Dix is an above average athlete with good quickness, but he could use a little more strength. Still, I think his defense has been pretty good. He needs more minutes, I don’t care if it’s point or 2 guard.

I think the biggest issue for Sandfort athletically on defense is the matchups. He's a willing defender and rebounder, but often ends up guarding a 2 or a quick wing player, and he simply isn't up to the task, which is not surprising for a guy who's 6'8"ish and a "decent " athlete. This was my issue when Fran tried to start the season with Perkins at point, and PS at the 2 and Pat at the 3. Besides the fact that Perkins is not a point guard in the true sense, it really puts Sandfort and Pat in a bad spot defending guys in man to man. Sandfort should be a 3 or 4 depending upon lineups of other teams. As much as people want to bury the two point guards on the bench, I still think we need Ulis, Bowen or at least Dix in there most of the time. We're going to score points, (unless Fran pulls all his scorers at once like he did at the end of the half against OSU), but we need to be able to matchup better on defense. Perkins should have been on the dude, "Likely" who kept backing Ulis under the basket. Bowen isn't going to get better not playing either. He has some skills we need, but is rarely out there more then a minute at a time. Just my 2 cents, but Mulvey has earned some more minutes, and should be getting 6-8 minutes to get more comfortable.....

I think the biggest issue for Sandfort athletically on defense is the matchups. He's a willing defender and rebounder, but often ends up guarding a 2 or a quick wing player, and he simply isn't up to the task, which is not surprising for a guy who's 6'8"ish and a "decent " athlete. This was my issue when Fran tried to start the season with Perkins at point, and PS at the 2 and Pat at the 3. Besides the fact that Perkins is not a point guard in the true sense, it really puts Sandfort and Pat in a bad spot defending guys in man to man. Sandfort should be a 3 or 4 depending upon lineups of other teams. As much as people want to bury the two point guards on the bench, I still think we need Ulis, Bowen or at least Dix in there most of the time. We're going to score points, (unless Fran pulls all his scorers at once like he did at the end of the half against OSU), but we need to be able to matchup better on defense. Perkins should have been on the dude, "Likely" who kept backing Ulis under the basket. Bowen isn't going to get better not playing either. He has some skills we need, but is rarely out there more then a minute at a time. Just my 2 cents, but Mulvey has earned some more minutes, and should be getting 6-8 minutes to get more comfortable.....
Theres multiple switches going on every possession so ending up on a guard is going to happen.

Where I've seen Sandfort struggle the most is in his screen defense. He often goes under a screen (which you should never do) and doesn't seem to know when to switch or not.

Yesterday he tried to go under a screen before the ballhandler went and left the path to the basket wide open.

When he's one on one he's ok.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Disagree on Mulvey. He's a HUGE defensive liability. You have to play Rebraca as many minutes as possible.

I do agree that Dix has played well and deserves more minutes and Sandfort should be getting back to his pre-slump minutes.

It'll be interesting to see the distribution once PMac is back.

Disagree on Mulvey. He's a HUGE defensive liability. You have to play Rebraca as many minutes as possible.

I do agree that Dix has played well and deserves more minutes and Sandfort should be getting back to his pre-slump minutes.

Yeah, the idea of playing Mulvey as a means of improving defense is not realistic.

He has no idea whats going on most of the time.

Just because you can block a shot or two doesn't make you a good defender.

It took Key about half a second to score on Riley one on one in the post.

Hes going to have to play a few minutes to give FR a rest but it's not going to result in improved defense.

3 point shooting is not the issue. The last 5 games:

v Indiana: 7/19 37%
@ Rutgers: 12/27 44%
v Michigan: 12/30 40%
v Maryland: 6/14 43%
@ Ohio St.: 11/24 46%
5 game average: 9.6/22.8 42%

I might also add that during this same stretch Ulis is 5/10 50% from 3.

The issue of this team starts and stops on the defensive end of the court. Period. We are fine offensively.
you make Good points on 3 (but relyin heavily on sandfort) with 2 caveats.

#1 and #2 points is to improve defense,
#3 is adding more sandfort and Dix and less Ulis and Perk will add offensive efficiency, as ill take sandfort and Dix vs Prtk and Ulis any day on 3 pt shooting. The aggregate offensive efficiency perk, Ulis, and CMac is less than that of Sandfort, Dix and CMac

perkins and Ulis have both struggled in conference play, particularly in jump shooting, and replacing with higher efficiency offense guys makes sense, with both still getting 20mins or more per game.

This will give Iowa starting lineup 4 best 3 point shooters, more size, more paint defense, more rebounding
What a mess.

More minutes for Mulvey isn't the answer to anything.

You want to bench Ulis and Perkins and claim this improves the defense. Ulis has actually been playing better and better. Fran actually ran a play for him to score against OSU and he got an and-1.

Connor cannot be the starting point guard. The team would have zero chance defensively.

I agree Dix is a two.

And I've never loved the 2 foul jail

Mulvey has played OK in every appearance , rebounding, contesting shots, blocking shots, doing a better job than most.

if Mulvey is a HUGE liability, who played 90 seconds in 2nd half, then what do you think if the rest of the team that gave up 56 2Nd half points, 65% and 1.6 PPP….? They must be REALLY HUGE problem

What a mess.

More minutes for Mulvey isn't the answer to anything.

You want to bench Ulis and Perkins and claim this improves the defense. Ulis has actually been playing better and better. Fran actually ran a play for him to score against OSU and he got an and-1.

Connor cannot be the starting point guard. The team would have zero chance defensively.

I agree Dix is a two.

And I've never loved the 2 foul jail
All the advanced metrics have Ulis ranked lowest on the team for both offense and defense,

the idea to improve defense is to add more mulvey , more Sandfort, elimination of 2 foul rule for Murray, (Fran consistently sits him and he ends up with 2 or 3 fouls for the entire game),

the small lineup just has little defensive paint presence, particularly when Rebraca or kris sit, or need a blow, which contributed to IOWA getting killed in the paint in the 2n half

Connor has spells when his shot goes quiet, but he is our best distributor of the ball. He's been a point guard since 6th grade. He should be our point.
good point, CMac not a scorer, cant get his shots, but can play PG and distribute with a very positive Assist to TO ratio, and another reason you can have 2 non productive PG on court at same time

Mulvey has played OK in every appearance , rebounding, contesting shots, blocking shots, doing a better job than most.

if Mulvey is a HUGE liability, who played 90 seconds in 2nd half, then what do you think if the rest of the team that gave up 56 2Nd half points, 65% and 1.6 PPP….? They must be REALLY HUGE problem
Yes. The whole team pretty much sucks at defense aside from Kris and sometimes Connor.

Mulvey gets absolutely abused when he has to get out away from the basket and handle the top of the key screen. Rebraca is athletic enough to handle the switch but Mulvey is not. You are basically forced to play zone with Mulvey in there.

kris 38%
cmac 38%
Dix 46%

Making 3s is important, but Iowa can't get manhandled around the basket and win, like yesterday. They shot 3s well against OSU and still lost by double digits. Sandfort in particular needs to be better on defense.

Reactions: littlez
Bowen isn't ready to play up to Frans no turnovers standard but he has natural ballhandling ability that the rest of the guards will never have.

The way he shook Sensabaugh with that cross over is not something anyone else is going to do on this team.

At some point you just have to give talent more leeway to play their game if its going to pay off for you.

Dix has been good on defense before this game.

Sandfort had a lot of trouble handling screens, no doubt.
Fran should have turned the keys over to JoeT this year. Between him and Ulis was there ever a question who the better player was/is? Yet instead of telling Joe yeah it’s your team he tells him there’s no guarantee, and he leaves. Now here we are with terrible guard play…again. For all the talk about joe being a turnover machine, Ulis is turning it over at a pretty dang high rate while bringing far less upside to the game. And like you said, bowen getting the joeT treatment this year, Fran just won’t let them learn on the job.
Maybe if Fran emphasized defense even just a little bit he wouldn’t have to worry so much about turnovers. Every possession counts when your teams can never consistently get stops!

Fran should have turned the keys over to JoeT this year. Between him and Ulis was there ever a question who the better player was/is? Yet instead of telling Joe yeah it’s your team he tells him there’s no guarantee, and he leaves. Now here we are with terrible guard play…again. For all the talk about joe being a turnover machine, Ulis is turning it over at a pretty dang high rate while bringing far less upside to the game. And like you said, bowen getting the joeT treatment this year, Fran just won’t let them learn on the job.
Maybe if Fran emphasized defense even just a little bit he wouldn’t have to worry so much about turnovers. Every possession counts when your teams can never consistently get stops!
Joe was a big loss. He had some bad turnovers but his assist to turnover ratio was tops on the team of I recall correctly.

Yes. The whole team pretty much sucks at defense aside from Kris and sometimes Connor.

Mulvey gets absolutely abused when he has to get out away from the basket and handle the top of the key screen. Rebraca is athletic enough to handle the switch but Mulvey is not. You are basically forced to play zone with Mulvey in there.
in the 2nf half Iowa defesne gave up 56 pts, 66% FG, and 1.66 PPP
mulvey played 90 seconds with a plus/minus of zero

to say Mulvey gets absolutely abused while the rest of the defesne is getting obliterated 20 more points in paint in 2h, etc,etc, etc

the numbers don’t really back up that claim vs tOSU or in all games where Mulvey is at the top of all the defensive metrics

Last edited:

CMAC at 6'5 is normal size for today's college b-ball with teams playing 3rd guards. The difference is that CMAC is a below the rim player and most teams "3" are really good athletes that play above the rim.

The only question is who loses minutes when PMAC comes back---I'm assuming he does, but it is obviously his deecision. Assuming PMAC comes back, CMAC will lose some minutes, but doubt it goes less than 30 minutes.. CMAC is better than PMAC this year, because CMAC will play physical defense and you can switch him on bigger players on defense. I would expect 30 min for CMAC and 15+min for PMAC and CMAC will start, PMAC will now be coming off the bench.

Dix seems to be playing better than either Ulis or Bowen. Perkins has not had the breakout year we'd hoped. Those guys will lose minutes and probably will be unhappy like JoeT was unhappy last year.

I don't think Mulvey is going to play much other than when Rebraca is in foul trouble.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
Touissant played 11 minutes off the bench for W Virginia against Texas on Saturday and committed 2 really dumb fouls late in the game. I liked him but he wasn’t the answer for us either. And can we stop with this Mulvey thing? He’s got a long way to go. He was behind the Big O until he got hurt. That’s the only reason he’s playing. That and we can’t play Rebraca 40 minutes but Mulvey has a long ways to go. While not a big fan of PMac him being out just kills what little depth we have. We’ve done well with this team to get to 4-4. It’s not going to be easy.

in the 2nf half Iowa defesne gave up 56 pts, 66% FG, and 1.66 PPP
mulvey played 90 seconds with a plus/minus of zero

to say Mulvey gets absolutely abused while the rest of the defesne is getting obliterated 20 more points in paint in 2h, etc,etc, etc

the numbers don’t really back up that claim vs tOSU or in all games where Mulvey is at the top of all the defensive metrics
He played 90 seconds of the game. Stats aren't going to bear out anything with that span.

Re-watch the game when he's in there, as well as other games he's played, and you'll see it pretty clearly.

CMAC at 6'5 is normal size for today's college b-ball with teams playing 3rd guards. The difference is that CMAC is a below the rim player and most teams "3" are really good athletes that play above the rim.

The only question is who loses minutes when PMAC comes back---I'm assuming he does, but it is obviously his deecision. Assuming PMAC comes back, CMAC will lose some minutes, but doubt it goes less than 30 minutes.. CMAC is better than PMAC this year, because CMAC will play physical defense and you can switch him on bigger players on defense. I would expect 30 min for CMAC and 15+min for PMAC and CMAC will start, PMAC will now be coming off the bench.

Dix seems to be playing better than either Ulis or Bowen. Perkins has not had the breakout year we'd hoped. Those guys will lose minutes and probably will be unhappy like JoeT was unhappy last year.

I don't think Mulvey is going to play much other than when Rebraca is in foul trouble.
Mostly agree, although you are forgetting Sandfort. We agree that CMac should get the bulk of the minutes at the "3", and Patrick should come off the bench. How many minutes Patrick plays and who gets less is the big question. Fran might go with a game-to-game plan on who stays on the court, with the same starting 5 since Patrick took a leave. Roughly, Patrick might get whatever minutes CMac doesn't play, and maybe a few minutes more when Kris or Rebraca are resting, depending on the opponent. In an emergency, CMac is more likely to guard an interior 4/5 player, or Fran will switch to zone.

I think Ulis and Perkins will continue to start at guard, but lose some minutes mainly to Dix and Sandfort. How much each gets would depend on the opponent and how each player is performing against that opponent. Ulis is tough. Perkins can be one of our best players, when he is being aggressive (which hasn't always been the case lately). Dix is steady, and seems to make the right plays on both ends. Sandfort is a game changer, but it can work both ways. Bowen seems to be the odd man out right now, although he might have the highest ceiling at PG, if he gets stronger. We agree that Mulvey is on the floor only when Rebraca is out, for a few minutes only.

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT