ADVERTISEMENT

Adjustments: More PT: Mulvey, Standfort, Dix. Less PT: Ulis, Perk, Bowen

Actually for two years Cmac led the nation in best ast/to ratio........
You're right.

Last year, Joe averaged 3.2 assists and 1.4 turnovers per game.

CMac averaged 1.9 assists and .4 turnovers per game.

Joe T with a greater than 2:1 assist to turnover ratio as very good.

Until yesterday, CMac had been shooting well. He really is playing the 3 and guarding a forward from the other team most of the time, although he is a hybrid PG/SG/3 on offense. I want him to keep getting about 30 minutes, and doing what he has been doing.

Ulis is playing a too many minutes, although he is playing much better than most on here on giving him credit for. He is our toughest guard. He has been better than Perkins in most games recently. I do like Dix getting more minutes, and I think he has been. Perkins is still important player, but he does need to start playing better than he has for the past few weeks, except for one game. The question will be who loses minutes when Patrick returns, even if he is off the bench. Fran will have some tough decisions.

Mulvey has at least shown he deserves to get a few minutes, but I don't have confidence in more than about 10 min for him, against centers, hopefully when the back up is in for the opponent.

Sandfort can be a game changer, but he was not very good, especially on defense, against OSU. He needs time, but his minutes might depend on his first few shots for me.

I was hoping for a lot more from Bowen by this point in the season, but I agree, he has only earned spot minutes.
Ulis gets bashed, completely agree. He is steady, not flashy but strong, good ball handler and runs offense pretty well. Probably should play about 20 mpg. Sandfort and Dix are on the upswing and need more minutes. Saucy has had some issues, Fran will have to manage his hot/cold play. I was critical of Mulvey earlier in year and am happy to eat some crow, he has earned some more minutes, at least against bigger centers/teams.

He played 90 seconds of the game. Stats aren't going to bear out anything with that span.

Re-watch the game when he's in there, as well as other games he's played, and you'll see it pretty clearly.
I did not see the 2nd half of the game

I had to leave right after Kris picked up his and foul, defending post entry pass to Center, while Rebraca and Mulvey were on the bench,

at that point I knew Kris was going out and wouldn’t play defense much the rest of game, looking at 2h stats I see he played all 20 minutes with 3 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 blocks and 0 fouls, a very empty defensive stat line, but then who could blame him as another foul would invoke the 3 fouls 2nd half jail.

Agree in SSS with Mulvey in 2h, Mulvey has excellent year long defensive metrics,

he should be given the chance to play D as it’s obvious the rest of the interior rotation cant.

I did not see the 2nd half of the game

I had to leave right after Kris picked up his and foul, defending post entry pass to Center, while Rebraca and Mulvey were on the bench,

at that point I knew Kris was going out and wouldn’t play defense much the rest of game, looking at 2h stats I see he played all 20 minutes with 3 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 blocks and 0 fouls, a very empty defensive stat line, but then who could blame him as another foul would invoke the 3 fouls 2nd half jail.

Agree in SSS with Mulvey in 2h, Mulvey has excellent year long defensive metrics,

he should be given the chance to play D as it’s obvious the rest of the interior rotation cant.
Mulvey might become an excellent defender, but he isn't yet. Rebraca and Kris are both much better defenders at this point in the careers. Maybe you should watch the games, instead of reviewing whatever advanced stats you like to look at.

If anything Bowen should be getting more minutes at the 1 and Dix more minutes at the 2 and Sandfort more minutes at the 3.

Dix isn't a pg and Connor is definitely not a pg.
Connor is not the prototypical point guard who gets the outlet and goes with it. I agree with you there. He is a point guard when it comes to ball movement in a half court offense. He is easily the best on this team with that particular skill.

Lots of ideas and lots of answers as well. I still think this team goes how Perkins goes......especially if he's scoring some short buckets. It seems his Defense ramps up when he scores a couple of buckets. It also appears to me that he's a pouter when things don't go right. He's way too good to be intimidated by these other athletes. Watch him closely next game.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
Mulvey might become an excellent defender, but he isn't yet. Rebraca and Kris are both much better defenders at this point in the careers. Maybe you should watch the games, instead of reviewing whatever advanced stats you like to look at.
Kris and Rebraca both played 38 wh minutes and combined for 2 def boards, 0 steals, 0 blocks and 1 foul while getting outscored in paint by 20, and allowing 65% FG%.

but they’ve both learned, they can play the entire game , pad their points / game, and their defense doesn’t matter, the critical thing they’ve both learned is not to play aggresive defense resulting in foul, as that ALWAYS gets them benched

if they are both excellent defenders, how do you explain their 2h?

Kris and Rebraca both played 38 wh minutes and combined for 2 def boards, 0 steals, 0 blocks and 1 foul while getting outscored in paint by 20, and allowing 65% FG%.

but they’ve both learned, they can play the entire game , pad their points / game, and their defense doesn’t matter, the critical thing they’ve both learned is not to play aggresive defense resulting in foul, as that ALWAYS gets them benched

They had a bad game. I also take it as a reversion to the mean. Ohio State had lost 5 in a row? and we had won 4 in a row. Ohio State played like they had to have the game and you're correct, once Murray got that 2nd foul he just quit playing defense. But also nobody played any defense. Perkins originally got minutes last year because he was kind of a defensive stopper and played pretty fearlessly on the other end. Now he's just another guy who doesn't want to guard anyone. The only way we are going to win most games are in shootouts. We just don't have much quality depth, especially in the frontcourt. We need Patrick back just for bodies in the frontcourt. Hopefully at some point he's ready.

Connor is not the prototypical point guard who gets the outlet and goes with it. I agree with you there. He is a point guard when it comes to ball movement in a half court offense. He is easily the best on this team with that particular skill.
A pg , in my opinion, needs to be able to penetrate the lane and creat offensive opportunities.

Connor is a great passer with excellent vision but that just means he's a forward with those skills.

He can't get into the lane with any regularity off the dribble and he certainly wouldn't be able to do that having to go against even quicker players at the 1.

He also wouldn't be able to stay in front of pgs.

Connor is where he should be.

You're right.

Last year, Joe averaged 3.2 assists and 1.4 turnovers per game.

CMac averaged 1.9 assists and .4 turnovers per game.

Joe T with a greater than 2:1 assist to turnover ratio as very good.
The year that Cmac played mostly point guard I believe he was something like 4.5 assists/1 To, and he led the nation. Those are crazy good numbers. Now some context he WAS feeding the post feeds to some guy named Garza who was an incredible finisher around the hoop. Of course the other guards played with the same AA center and their numbers we're not nearly as good, so....

Reactions: longliveCS40

If either Rebraca or Kris get into foul trouble Iowas probably going to lose anyway.

Mulvey isn't good at defense. It took Key about half a second to score on him in the post. He provided no resistance.

Hes lost on the perimeter d which is worse than being weak inside. If you can't defend screens adequately you simply can't be on the court in todays basketball.

Unfortunately there is no solution for Iowas lack of post depth this year.

• Wow
Reactions: KcTo and littlez
The year that Cmac played mostly point guard I believe he was something like 4.5 assists/1 To, and he led the nation. Those are crazy good numbers. Now some context he WAS feeding the post feeds to some guy named Garza who was an incredible finisher around the hoop. Of course the other guards played with the same AA center and their numbers we're not nearly as good, so....
Connor was not the pg any of those years with Garza.

It was JBO and Toussaint.

Connor was the starting 4 Lukas last two years.

Reactions: littlez
Connor was not the pg any of those years with Garza.

It was JBO and Toussaint.

Connor was the starting 4 Lukas last two years.
If I had to guess, Connor still had more assists on Garza baskets than either one of them. Regardless of what his position was.

A pg , in my opinion, needs to be able to penetrate the lane and creat offensive opportunities.

Connor is a great passer with excellent vision but that just means he's a forward with those skills.

He can't get into the lane with any regularity off the dribble and he certainly wouldn't be able to do that having to go against even quicker players at the 1.

He also wouldn't be able to stay in front of pgs.

Connor is where he should be.
I don't really disagree with anything you are saying. But while he may not be able to break down a smaller and quicker prototypical point guard, he could back him down. I've seen him do that a number of times.

I'd like to see them get out and run with Ulis or Bowen but in the half court offense, I prefer Connor and his passing/decision making.

If I had to guess, Connor still had more assists on Garza baskets than either one of them. Regardless of what his position was.
I agree, but what point are you making?

It really just reinforces the point that you don't need to be at the pg spot to get assists.

Last edited:
I don't really disagree with anything you are saying. But while he may not be able to break down a smaller and quicker prototypical point guard, he could back him down. I've seen him do that a number of times.

I'd like to see them get out and run with Ulis or Bowen but in the half court offense, I prefer Connor and his passing/decision making.
Connor is already on the court most of the time so what are you thinking should change?

Are you saying you want to sit Ulis and have Connor at the 1 and someone else at the 3?

Then Connor defends the other teams pg?

Nothing Connor brings to the table will be improved in this scenario IMO.

I just said they are much better defenders than Mulvey at this point in their careers, and that is not a real high bar.

Reactions: littlez and KcTo
Lots of ideas and lots of answers as well. I still think this team goes how Perkins goes......especially if he's scoring some short buckets. It seems his Defense ramps up when he scores a couple of buckets. It also appears to me that he's a pouter when things don't go right. He's way too good to be intimidated by these other athletes. Watch him closely next game.
I have seen the same thing. I remember a play Saturday where he stood flat footed for a couple of seconds only 3 or 4 feet to the right of the basket, watching another Iowa player battle a couple of OSU players for the rebound on the defensive end of the court. His demeaner is like night and day, and we have been seeing too much night lately.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
If either Rebraca or Kris get into foul trouble Iowas probably going to lose anyway.

Mulvey isn't good at defense. It took Key about half a second to score on him in the post. He provided no resistance.

Hes lost on the perimeter d which is worse than being weak inside. If you can't defend screens adequately you simply can't be on the court in todays basketball.

Unfortunately there is no solution for Iowas lack of post depth this year.
That’s a bit Lacking in overall context

Key did have an excellant spin move for a bucket. Credit Key.

Additonal context is:
  • This was Keys/OKpara only score.
  • Okpara allowed Mulvey an Offensive rebound and score. So in the 5 minutes they were even.
  • Key/Okpara had zero offensive rebounds
  • Mulvey defended every high pick an roll successfully.
  • mulvey also added a block.
  • plus / minus of -1 while in game (although not predictive in small minutes, not a train wreck)
im not saying he is the answer, however Iowa needs interior defense, can’t allow 8 off boards a half, etc etc

Last edited:
I just said they are much better defenders than Mulvey at this point in their careers, and that is not a real high bar.
I’m not disagreeing

I really believe Fran’s inflexible approach to alway benching players who commit fouls ealry in a half has a direct effect on degrading every IOWA starters defensive aggressiveness.

we saw this yet agin in the second half at tOSU

Reactions: SocraticIshmael

It really just reinforces the point that you don't need to be at the pg spot to get assists.
I guess my point is I couldn’t care less if he is called and/or plays the point guard position. I want him facilitating the offense.

It also reinforces the point that you don't always have to have a classic point guard. There are other ways to get it done. And please don't tell me you need a point guard to bring the ball up court or beat a press because you learn at a very young age the way to do both is pass the ball, not dribble it. If anything with this team, it's the constant over dribbling that gets several of them into trouble.

I’m not disagreeing

I really believe Fran’s inflexible approach to alway benching players who commit fouls ealry in a half has a direct effect on degrading every IOWA starters defensive aggressiveness.

we saw this yet agin in the second half at tOSU
I'm not even sure why Fran, or any other coach for that matter, does it to be honest. It can't be simply to keep someone out of foul trouble because reducing a player's minutes on purpose in order to avoid potentially losing a player to fouls makes little sense. Invariably it's the decision to sit players that results in far more lost minutes.

Reactions: KcTo
I'm not even sure why Fran, or any other coach for that matter, does it to be honest. It can't be simply to keep someone out of foul trouble because reducing a player's minutes on purpose in order to avoid potentially losing a player to fouls makes little sense. Invariably it's the decision to sit players that results in far more lost minutes.
It’s certainly the right call with those players that are foul prone.

however, Kris has gotten 2 1st half fouls, immediately thrown in the Frans 2 foul jail, only to end the game with, 2 Fouls. Which demonstrates he can play with 2 fouls.

fran then proceeds to play him the entire 20 minutes of 2nd half, with no rest.

both occurrences reinforce kris to play less aggressively on defense.

Whatever happened to positionless basketball offense?
I don't feel like we're really disagreeing here.

All 3 perimeter players facilitate.

Connor is the best at making interior feeds and the best passer overall. Ulis is better in the screen and roll than the other two.

My only point is what Connor does well isn't going to change by taking Ulis out it only makes Connor's life harder by reducing the number of ballhandlers on the court and reducing the quickness of the defense.

Im not sure you were even arguing to take Ulis out though?

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
It’s certainly the right call with those players that are foul prone.

however, Kris has gotten 2 1st half fouls, immediately thrown in the Frans 2 foul jail, only to end the game with, 2 Fouls. Which demonstrates he can play with 2 fouls.

fran then proceeds to play him the entire 20 minutes of 2nd half, with no rest.

both occurrences reinforce kris to play less aggressively on defense.
The reality is that every starter who picks up a first foul in the first half or a second foul in the second half is incentivised to play risk-free defense. Experienced players will manage their play to maximize minutes on the floor. Whether it be a surefire hook or actual foul trouble, it will factor into their level of defense.

Finally, this is not a very good team without Kris and Filip out there. He needs to let the chips fall where they may and drop the 2/3 foul thing as far as they are concerned. Like you said, in most cases fouls won't end up being the biggest problem.

• Love
Reactions: KcTo and unclesammy
I think ALWAYS taking a player out for the rest of the first half when they pick up two fouls is stupid. There might be games in which it makes sense, like you still have decent match ups or you are up by a lot and are maintaining a lead. I think we usually need Kris and Rebraca on the court for at least 30 min. Connor might also fit into that group for some match ups.

• Love
Reactions: KcTo
I think ALWAYS taking a player out for the rest of the first half when they pick up two fouls is stupid. There might be games in which it makes sense, like you still have decent match ups or you are up by a lot and are maintaining a lead. I think we usually need Kris and Rebraca on the court for at least 30 min. Connor might also fit into that group for some match ups.
Well, the consequence of not playing Mulvey, and significantly limiting Dix and Sandfort minutes while playing 4 guys ALL 20min of 2nd half results in what?

2 points scored in last 5 minutes of game
missed FTs late
poor shooting
(Kris air ball from corner)

every coach in college ball rests his players so they are fresh for the deciding last 5 minutes of close games. Coaches try to steal a few minutes of rest each half for this stars, 2 minutes for Kris, 3min for Rebraca, 4 minutes for Ulis, NOT ALL guys ALL GO 20 minutes. Just brutal non coaching but we’ve seen this over and over .

this Loss is on Fran for brutal player rotations
huge blunder

Reactions: vamchawk
Well, the consequence of not playing Mulvey, and significantly limiting Dix and Sandfort minutes while playing 4 guys ALL 20min of 2nd half results in what?

missed FTs late
poor shooting

every coach in college ball rests his players so they are fresh for the deciding last 5 minutes of close games. Coaches try to steal a few minutes of rest each half for this stars, 2 minutes for Kris, 3min for Rebraca, 4 minutes for Ulis, NOT ALL guys ALL GO 20 minutes. Just brutal non coaching but we’ve seen this over and over .

huge blunder
Have you ever actually played BB? Fran had nothing to do with Iowa losing. He played the guys who could cope with Breslin and the type of defense that you have to play through at MSU. The freshmen guards showed they weren't ready for Breslin in the first half. Mulvey certainly isn't. Kris was just off tonight, and I don't think it had anything to do with conditioning. We shot poorly the entire game, but played one of our best defensive games of the year.

The final play drawn up by the coaches was beautiful. All five players did their jobs, but Payton couldn't pull the trigger. By your logic, he should have delivered, since he should not have been tired...

Touissant played 11 minutes off the bench for W Virginia against Texas on Saturday and committed 2 really dumb fouls late in the game. I liked him but he wasn’t the answer for us either. And can we stop with this Mulvey thing? He’s got a long way to go. He was behind the Big O until he got hurt. That’s the only reason he’s playing. That and we can’t play Rebraca 40 minutes but Mulvey has a long ways to go. While not a big fan of PMac him being out just kills what little depth we have. We’ve done well with this team to get to 4-4. It’s not going to be easy.
I've watched a lot of WVU ball this year and Joe has been superior to what we have. Especially when you consider the guards he see's in the big 12 vs big 10.

Have you ever actually played BB? Fran had nothing to do with Iowa losing. He played the guys who could cope with Breslin and the type of defense that you have to play through at MSU. The freshmen guards showed they weren't ready for Breslin in the first half. Mulvey certainly isn't. Kris was just off tonight, and I don't think it had anything to do with conditioning. We shot poorly the entire game, but played one of our best defensive games of the year.

The final play drawn up by the coaches was beautiful. All five players did their jobs, but Payton couldn't pull the trigger. By your logic, he should have delivered, since he should not have been tired...
Have you ever been at BB practice when you run timed suicide / killers for 15 minutes then to finish practice a player MUST make 2 FTs, and inevitably it takes 5-6-7x before a kid can make 2 in a row?
do you know why that is?

it’s because their arms and legs are heavy from lack of oxygen and fatigued.
it’s because they are exhausted and can’t shoot nearly as well as when they are making 10 in a row in the regularly scheduled practice for FT shooting

fran played 4 kids the ENTIRE 2nd half, no rests,

then this group totally collapses in final 5 min unable to shoot, scoring 2 points,

terribly poor blunder by Fran

Last edited:
  • Haha
Have you ever been at BB practice when you run timed suicide / killers for 15 minutes then to finish practice a player MUST make 2 FTs, and inevitably it takes 5-6-7x before a kid can make 2 in a row?
do you know why that is?

it’s because they are exhausted and can’t shoot nearly as well as when they are making 10 in a row in the regularly scheduled practice for FT shooting

then this group goes final 5 min unable to shoot, scoring 2 points,

Yes, that is why you run suicides. If Iowa had a reliable bench that can deliver in hostile environments, I might agree with you a little, but we do not.

missed FTs late
poor shooting

huge blunder
Iowa lost because Mulvey didn't play. Sure dude.

Guys played big minutes in a couple of Iowa's recent wins too. It's only the third game in eleven days. They were fine.

Kris has air-balled a shot in multiple games this year. Very strange. It's like he leaves his body momentarily. Hopefully he can work through it, continue to be aggressive, and become more comfortable being the man. If you're playing like a hungry dog, the self-consciousness goes away

I've watched a lot of WVU ball this year and Joe has been superior to what we have. Especially when you consider the guards he see's in the big 12 vs big 10.
Joes playing 23 minutes a game and shooting 39%. Pretty much similar to what he did here. He’s not great. Has he played better than our guards? Maybe. I’ll take a game from Ulis like last night over Joe.

do you know why that is?

then this group totally collapses in final 5 min unable to shoot, scoring 2 points,

Michigan State made 2 baskets in the last 4 minutes and 45 seconds. We made 1. Plenty of whistles swallowed, bad basketball, good defense, etc by both teams. And even still Fran drew up an incredible play for a guy who was wide open to win the game and he was just long. If Fran thought Dix and and Mulvey were ready they would have played more. You want to die on that hill fine.

Looking at Ulis stats, he is improving a lot lately. In last 4 games all over 40%, 2 over 50%. For season only 39.8%. So maybe he will reduce turnovers eventually too. However, how can you throw it away 2 times in a row on inbounds passes??? Hard to figure.

It also reinforces the point that you don't always have to have a classic point guard. There are other ways to get it done. And please don't tell me you need a point guard to bring the ball up court or beat a press because you learn at a very young age the way to do both is pass the ball, not dribble it. If anything with this team, it's the constant over dribbling that gets several of them into trouble.
you do need a guy that can run a pick and roll and penetrate. Those things will never go out of style in basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT