ADVERTISEMENT

Adrian Clayborn revitalized in Atlanta

DanHawkPella

HB Legend
Jul 24, 2001
Looks like a change of scenery and a new role has been good for Adrian:

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/9...nd-his-staff-have-shown-that-coaching-matters

Of all the free agent signings, none has had a bigger impact this preseason than Adrian Clayborn. Seen by some as a "concession" signing after the Falcons couldn't lure Derrick Morgan away from the Titans, the former Buccaneer came in with many questions. How would he fit in Quinn's defense? Can he stay healthy for 16 games? Is he really a solution to our pass rush? Well, in his games so far Clayborn has been nothing short of stellar. The difference? Quinn and his staff moved him inside as a sub-package DT and he has absolutely thrived in the role a move few saw coming but is already looking like brilliance.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/...dditions/f60bf7ac-9e94-4cbd-ab15-666752c055ff

When Dan Quinn joined the Falcons this winter, he and Atlanta’s front office held a series of meetings to determine what kind of personnel they should target in free agency. During one of those discussions, Quinn presented an intriguing idea: go after defensive end Adrian Clayborn—a 2011 first-round pick who never blossomed in Tampa—and move him inside.

The former Buccaneer has the blend of size and speed needed to play tackle, Quinn asserted. The brain trust agreed. So Clayborn and Falcons brass opened up talks in March, and shortly thereafter, the two parties came to terms on a multi-year contract.

And if the first three weeks of preseason are any indication, Quinn’s unorthodox proposal is going to pay major dividends.

An argument can be made that Clayborn has been Atlanta’s best player so far in 2015. The numbers are certainly impressive: In three exhibition games, he’s racked up two sacks, four QB hurries and one pass deflection. Moreover, his cumulative 6.6 Pro Football Focus grade is the best on Atlanta's roster.

The Falcons needed to improve their pass rush this offseason, and by adding Clayborn—a consensus All-American at the University of Iowa—they took a big step towards accomplishing that goal.

“I had a really clear vision of how we’d use Adrian,” Quinn said Monday. “It was different for him, and he had to have also the faith to say, ‘Okay, coach, this is a new program for me. I’ve always played outside at D-end.’ I just saw the quickness. He’s working really hard to keep developing those skills.”

Clayborn’s early success has noticeably helped his teammates—including O’Brien Schofield, another Quinn recruit. Those two combined to make one of the best plays on Saturday against Miami: With less than a minute left in second quarter, Schofield exploded off the snap and forced a fumble by crushing Dolphins QB Matt Moore; Clayborn then dove for the ball and recovered it at Miami’s 47-yard line.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/8...n-clayborn-impressing-the-masses-in-fantastic

Atlanta Falcons defensive lineman Adrian Clayborn was repeatedly referenced during the off-season. We signed him and then there was article after article about whether he'd pan out. I personally wrote several articles about all the work he was doing, trying to regain the form that made him a first round draft pick. But articles like that are commonplace during the offseason. Nobody expected this kind of turnaround.

Clayborn has absolutely ravaged the competition this preseason. He's everything we said he could be and more.
The fine folks over at Pro Football Focus raved about him after his +3.6 rating in the Falcons loss against the Miami Dolphins.

Can DT Adrian Clayborn continue this form into the regular season? The former Buc has been a preseason revelation rushing from inside in the Falcons' sub-package, having the kind of explosion to win quickly in the Falcons' stunting front. Six preseason QB disruptions don't tell the whole story of how good he has been.

I'll say this: Clayborn need only resemble the player he's been this preseason. Just come close, Adrian, and we're all good. Your thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News