ADVERTISEMENT

Adrian Peterson is not enjoying his retirement

NDallasRuss

HB Legend
Dec 5, 2002
"Former NFL running back Adrian Peterson has been ordered by a Houston judge to turn over numerous assets as a means toward paying a debt that is estimated at more than $12 million.

The court-appointed receiver, Robert Berleth, requested this order in July and said Peterson "is known to have numerous assets" at his home in Missouri City, Texas. The Houston judge on Monday ordered constables in Fort Bend County, Texas, to accompany Berleth to Peterson's residence to keep the peace."

It can't possibly be fun when the court orders someone to go through your house, looking to take anything of value, to give to other people.

I feel nothing for vested players after 2010. The NFL goes out of its way to match, double match, or straight up contribute to savings and annuities for players. With the money they make and the protections the NFL has in place (agent fee limitations, licensing guarantees, etc.) this falls entirely on lifestyle.

Ask guys who played in the 60’s and 70’s if owners matched $2 for $1 on retirement savings accounts and contributed $75k a year to a tax advantaged annuity.

Just some back of the envelope math, if Peterson had taken advantage of the NFL’s offerings, he should make at least $1 million a year in retirement + his pension at 55 or 65.

I feel nothing for vested players after 2010. The NFL goes out of its way to match, double match, or straight up contribute to savings and annuities for players. With the money they make and the protections the NFL has in place (agent fee limitations, licensing guarantees, etc.) this falls entirely on lifestyle.

Ask guys who played in the 60’s and 70’s if owners matched $2 for $1 on retirement savings accounts and contributed $75k a year to a tax advantaged annuity.

Just some back of the envelope math, if Peterson had taken advantage of the NFL’s offerings, he should make at least $1 million a year in retirement + his pension at 55 or 65.
He made >$100M in career earnings. It's impossible for me to feel bad for him for running through his money already. Pun kinda intended.

Bummer.

Years ago, my parents listed their gold Jeep Cherokee for sale. It was ugly but a decent deal. Low miles, decent price. Someone responded wanting to look at it.

Later that day, Peterson and his mother showed up at the house to look at the car. Very nice people. I think Peterson was just a freshman at Oklahoma. They ended up buying the Jeep. I wonder how long he kept that.

Feel a tiny bit bad for the guy as his father was no role model growing up. But, it’s clear he will not be a role model for his many children either.
I don’t understand how these guys manage to blow through so much money. What’s really sad is that I feel like the league goes out of its way and tries to educated these guys on how to save some money yet this happens all the time.

Feel a tiny bit bad for the guy as his father was no role model growing up. But, it’s clear he will not be a role model for his many children either.
I don’t understand how these guys manage to blow through so much money. What’s really sad is that I feel like the league goes out of its way and tries to educated these guys on how to save some money yet this happens all the time.

I think I saw a short documentary on this and it basically boils down to friends and family wanting money and women either marrying them for money or having their babies and getting huge child support checks.

Obviously AP's issue was women and probably his own spending.

he signed for well over $100 million in contracts in his career with something like $70 million in guaranteed money, WTAF?
his second contract was this one........
Contract Terms:
6 yr(s) / $86,280,000
Average Salary:
$14,380,000
Signing Bonus:
$12,000,000
GTD at Sign:
$20,250,000
Total GTD:
$36,000,000

He made >$100M in career earnings. It's impossible for me to feel bad for him for running through his money already. Pun kinda intended.
Too bad the agents don’t insist the players invest half in stocks and bonds.

Players like AP could easily live off 1/2 even after taxes and agent fees.

Generational wealth turns into bankruptcy when you refuse to look even 10 years down the road.

he signed for well over $100 million in contracts in his career with something like $70 million in guaranteed money, WTAF?
Contract Terms:
6 yr(s) / $86,280,000
Average Salary:
$14,380,000
Signing Bonus:
$12,000,000
GTD at Sign:
$20,250,000
Total GTD:
$36,000,000

I'm guessing child support ate up quite a bit of that.

8 kids by 6 women

Remember to have your pro athletes spayed or neutered!
Two many kids, with too many women is horrible financial planning.

I know of a guy that has almost that many (5 kids with three different wives), and he’s had numerous bankruptcies, is constantly hawking junk and asking everyone for money.

Last edited:
It’s the NFL. Agents are capped at 3%. The NFLPA literally does everything in its power to make sure this doesn’t happen.
Is that only for the % they get for negotiating NFL contracts? Or are they capped at 3% total for any/all work they do for a client?

I didn't know if they can also negotiate endorsement deals, recommend investments, etc.

Just wait until Tyreek Hill retires. He's got what, 10 kids now with 8 different women? He'll have at least 15 by the time he's done. Guy will be paying a minimum million a month ( Hell, I'm just totally guessing, probably way more, ) until the end of his life and will be broke in a minimum of 5 years out of the league.

Is that only for the % they get for negotiating NFL contracts? Or are they capped at 3% total for any/all work they do for a client?

I didn't know if they can also negotiate endorsement deals, recommend investments, etc.
I believe they can do endorsements but they’re restricted on investment stuff.

The NFL is pretty well run compared to basketball where you can pay someone 15% to get you a standardized max deal.

Reactions: NDallasRuss

I know of a guy that has almost that many (5 kids with three different wives), and he’s had numerous bankruptcies, is constantly hawking junk and asking everyone for money.
You know Donald Trump?

point-hehe.gif

Contract Terms:
6 yr(s) / $86,280,000
Average Salary:
$14,380,000
Signing Bonus:
$12,000,000
GTD at Sign:
$20,250,000
Total GTD:
$36,000,000
Must..have..more..equity...........

ADVERTISEMENT