ADVERTISEMENT

Adult birthday parties

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
I get having parties for big dates - wife throws you a 50th, etc. But we're going out tonight with a friend of my wife's (no pics) who throws herself a party every year. That's right, every year she throws herself a party. Over the past ~20 years I think I've been to maybe 2 of them. I'm not sure why we agreed to go tonight but it's to some trendy restaurant and then a comedy club.

Anyone else have to deal with someone this ridiculous?

Reactions: eb05 and Moral
I don’t know, sometimes life is busy and it‘s hard to get out and socialize. If you set something like this as routine, it’s a great chance to get out and hang with friends. There have been points in time where some adult friend groups routinely went out for people’s birthdays - it was a reason to get out and do something.

I don't necessarily think having a party for your birthday every year is a big deal. But having it at a restaurant and comedy club is weird. For just a regular birthday. Having people over and cooking out or something. Seems normal
If you're a dude it's a bit gay.

I know you're not supposed to described it that way, but dudes everywhere know what I'm talking about.

I'm cool with people organizing a social event - if I don't want to go - I don't. If I do want to go - great - someone else did the work.

I suppose there's a scenario where I don't want to go but am otherwise compelled.

I don’t know, sometimes life is busy and it‘s hard to get out and socialize. If you set something like this as routine, it’s a great chance to get out and hang with friends. There have been points in time where some adult friend groups routinely went out for people’s birthdays - it was a reason to get out and do something.
Right, that's how I look at it. It's not that I'm being all gay and want to celebrate my friend's birthday, it's an excuse for a good time.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I think it could be a good time if you make it a good time. If I have a birthday party and that means I smoke a brisket and load up coolers full of beer so we can sit out back and hang out eating and drinking and joking around, then that's not bad. But getting a large group to go to a comedy club sounds less appealing.

I don't do birthdays really, so I don't get it personally.

But I had higher hopes for this thread based on the title.

Reminds me of the time in church during announcements they said "Join us next Saturday for Adult Movie Night in the parish life center."

I elbowed my wife and said "Finally! Something worth going to at this place!" Probably a bit too loud. She didn't find it funny.

I'm not sure I ever had a party for my birthday.

2gl82a.jpg

I think 98% of the time the adult throwing themself a party either craves attention/spotlight or alcohol.

Reactions: BelemNole
I think it could be a good time if you make it a good time. If I have a birthday party and that means I smoke a brisket and load up coolers full of beer so we can sit out back and hang out eating and drinking and joking around, then that's not bad. But getting a large group to go to a comedy club sounds less appealing.
Even when she has a party at home it's a three ring circus with live bands, etc.

Even when she has a party at home it's a three ring circus with live bands, etc.
That seems pretty "extra". I'm all for hanging out eating and drinking, but the addition of a lot of "production value" seems over the top for a grown-ups non-milestone birthday party.

Reactions: BelemNole
We go out every year for a few friends birthdays. It's nothing extravagant, but is always a good time and I don't mind doing it at all.

Don't like the attention to have myself a party. I like to make a good dinner for my birthday, had steak with risotto 8 days ago for mine.

We've done dinner with the neighbors out at a nice restaurant for all of our birthdays throughout the year. Basically make it a date night to get away from the kids that happens to fall one one of our birthdays. But no grand parties.

I'm also one of those people that finds it a bit weird when adults >21 take the day off just for their non-milestone birthday. I'm not talking about being on vacation during your birthday and taking the week off. I'm talking about taking a random Tuesday off because it is your birthday which I've seen many times in my career. But I was the guy that worked an 8 hour shift doing inventory in the meat department of my grocery store on my 18th birthday.

Reactions: runkpanole
I’m fairly certain that the last time there was a party hosted for my birthday I was still in grade school.

I don’t think it’s odd to do so, it just isn’t my thing. I like my birthday to just come and go by silently each year. No big deal.

For years, my friends and I got together on my birthday. It wasn’t so much a birthday party for me but an end of summer, one last excuse to hang out and drink beer on a Tuesday, sort of thing. Yeah, there was usually cake, but there was usually cake at our get togethers anyway since one of our friends is a pastry chef.

For years, my friends and I got together on my birthday. It wasn’t so much a birthday party for me but an end of summer, one last excuse to hang out and drink beer on a Tuesday, sort of thing. Yeah, there was usually cake, but there was usually cake at our get togethers anyway since one of our friends is a pastry chef.
Did a hot chick fart on the cake?

I get having parties for big dates - wife throws you a 50th, etc. But we're going out tonight with a friend of my wife's (no pics) who throws herself a party every year. That's right, every year she throws herself a party. Over the past ~20 years I think I've been to maybe 2 of them. I'm not sure why we agreed to go tonight but it's to some trendy restaurant and then a comedy club.

Anyone else have to deal with someone this ridiculous?
You are becoming like one of these flyover staters that hates everything outside their 500 person town and any social interaction. I recommend a holiday from this board.

You are becoming like one of these flyover staters that hates everything outside their 500 person town and any social interaction. I recommend a holiday from this board.
Oh, this lady has irritated me long before I started posting on this board. I'm not talking about having a few friends for dinner or bbq. I'm talking about throwing a giant bash in your own honor and making yourself the center of attention every year. If we're at an event and taking photos with friends she runs over and insists we stop talking photos until she can gather another dozen of her friends and start over. With her in the front.
Wife told her we were going to a concert a few years back and she bought tickets and started arranging the pre-party with friends she invited. We're like - dude, we didn't even invite you.

ADVERTISEMENT