ADVERTISEMENT

Adult birthday parties

I get having parties for big dates - wife throws you a 50th, etc. But we're going out tonight with a friend of my wife's (no pics) who throws herself a party every year. That's right, every year she throws herself a party. Over the past ~20 years I think I've been to maybe 2 of them. I'm not sure why we agreed to go tonight but it's to some trendy restaurant and then a comedy club.

Anyone else have to deal with someone this ridiculous?
Holy cow, it’s just a birthday.

at least its not for your sizzling SiL with her young buck and you have to pay for it.

Thats what I tell myself everytime i have to go to a stupid party.
giphy.gif

OK, am I the only one whos disappointed? I fully expected a thread about adult themed birthday parties when I opened this thread, not some old lady who thinks her birthday is something special. Maybe she should try my idea - that might increase attendance.

OK, am I the only one whos disappointed? I fully expected a thread about adult themed birthday parties when I opened this thread, not some old lady who thinks her birthday is something special. Maybe she should try my idea - that might increase attendance.

Mad Caw would probably invite you to one of his....

Reactions: dandh
I didn't even really have birthday parties as a kid. In college, it wasn't a party, it was just taking advantage of the 21 pitchers for $21 at multiple establishments in downtown IC. Birthdays were never a big thing to me. Now, at most we'll go to dinner.

My wife (pic in legendary thread) doesn't throw herself a party, but she was raised with the "you're queen for the day" mentality about birthdays. Wants to do what she wants, pick the restaurant, etc. It can be a bit annoying.

I get having parties for big dates - wife throws you a 50th, etc. But we're going out tonight with a friend of my wife's (no pics) who throws herself a party every year. That's right, every year she throws herself a party. Over the past ~20 years I think I've been to maybe 2 of them. I'm not sure why we agreed to go tonight but it's to some trendy restaurant and then a comedy club.

Grow up and get "friends or friend's wives" that you like and stop complaining about your miserable life. You're like 65, you're an adult, you have choices. Worse than whoever that WPOTY wannabe is.

That seems pretty "extra". I'm all for hanging out eating and drinking, but the addition of a lot of "production value" seems over the top for a grown-ups non-milestone birthday party.
Why? To each their own? How does it affect your life or OPs. I'm usually on the same line as you, but if someone wants a day to try to make themselves happy, either join in or get out. Don't piss on their attempt to enjoy life.

Not sure about a party but I am amazed how many adults take the day off for their birthday.
Why not? I’ve taken days off for a million reasons and I often still have to just burn a random day or two at the end of the year so as not to lose it. Why not take your birthday off? I’d enjoy that much more than the day I took off to have a colonoscopy a couple months ago.

Grow up and get "friends or friend's wives" that you like and stop complaining about your miserable life. You're like 65, you're an adult, you have choices. Worse than whoever that WPOTY wannabe is.
Sorry Kristen, I just find your constant need to be the center of attention obnoxious. It’s cute when you’re 5, less so when you’re 50. Had I known that you posted here I wouldn’t have started the thread.

I think 98% of the time the adult throwing themself a party either craves attention/spotlight or alcohol.
Or they crave going out and doing things with a large group of people and a "birthday" is a reason good enough to get a bunch of adults to rearrange their schedule enough to actually go out and do it.

But it could also be the other things you said.

I'd much rather have a party to celebrate Friday than a ponderous party for someone's birthday. It's a part of the "Hey look at me!" crowd that I've never understood.

Sorry Kristen, I just find your constant need to be the center of attention obnoxious. It’s cute when you’re 5, less so when you’re 50. Had I known that you posted here I wouldn’t have started the thread.
Someone sounds jealous and it's not very becoming of you, Brad.

I typically am not comfortable in social settings, but I went to a 40th last weekend for a former employee and good friend. I was planning on staying for two hours and stayed for 10. It was an absolute blast and a great chance to see people I rarely see. Would go again.
That's livin, man. I'm of the opinion that 'we' need to do this as much as we can, especially after the bullsh!t covid brought/brings us.

ADVERTISEMENT