ADVERTISEMENT

After 2 games- Final record predictions?

Bozo2020

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2020
Sitting at 1-1 after two uninspiring performances by the offense and some FANTASTIC special teams and Defense, what do you all think the rest of the year holds?
I personally can’t see the D holding up at the current rate (T.O.P. numbers will take a toll if the offense continues to be unable to sustain any type of drive) and think we will be a 6-6 or 7-5 team when it’s all said and done.
We’ll beat Nevada on Saturday and maybe get Rutgers and NW, but I don’t really see any other games I feel overly optimistic about.
Even if Padilla takes over at QB and we start to get some receivers back, I’m not sure how big of an impact it can make given the long history of offensive ineptitude.

Thoughts?

Without a QB change there is no way this team finishes better than 4-8 and very well could be 2-10. A new QB providing spark may get us to 6 wins.

I feel so bad for the defense - they will be so worn out by Nov that the Minn, Purd and Wisky games could get downright ugly (in addition to the Mich and OSU whippings we’ll get).

I would assume getting guys like KJ, Nico & Vines back at receiver would help some, but who knows how physically ready any of them will be when they’re back. Not like Madden where you can plug a guy in after missing weeks and have them pick right up where they left off.

The OL is young and should get better as the year goes on, barring no massive injuries.

Both Spencer and Alex have not been very accurate and inconsistent, and Padilla has more mobility and is not completely F’d in the head like Spencer is (think he is a great kid/teammate but he can’t have confidence after these past few performances). I would think he gets the nod against Nevada to see if he can provide anything.

I would assume getting guys like KJ, Nico & Vines back at receiver would help some, but who knows how physically ready any of them will be when they’re back. Not like Madden where you can plug a guy in after missing weeks and have them pick right up where they left off.

The OL is young and should get better as the year goes on, barring no massive injuries.

Both Spencer and Alex have not been very accurate and inconsistent, and Padilla has more mobility and is not completely F’d in the head like Spencer is (think he is a great kid/teammate but he can’t have confidence after these past few performances). I would think he gets the nod against Nevada to see if he can provide anything.
This is practically the same group of guys on OL as last year and their third year (at least) in the program For many of them. They’re just not getting the development that other OL have gotten in the past or are just not good.

This is practically the same group of guys on OL as last year and their third year (at least) in the program For many of them. They’re just not getting the development that other OL have gotten in the past or are just not good.
I’m waiting for the unit that blasted the Kentucky front 7 in the bowl game to show up. Guys like Stevens, Dunker, Elsbury and Jones are getting their first taste of real playing time. Colby and Richman played a lot last year but still are only Sophomores (Colby a true at that).
That’s one area where I am cautiously optimistic.

Receivers and QB… not so much.

What happened to that Citrus Bowl OL performance? Many of the same OL were in that game, tired of excuses and thought we were supposed to have had recruited quite well the past few years on the OL. Is this a Barnett/Polasek sort of thing?
Other rant is they keep saying Brecht isn't ready to play and needs conditioning? What does he need, 6 weeks of practice before he takes 10 snaps? Heck, he's been a multi sport athlete for many years, one would think he could get out there and run a fly pattern to alleviate some pressure and give us chance for a very rare down the field play.

I say 3 or 4 wins no matter who the qb is. The OLIne seems to be a mess, wide receiver positions a mess, we have a very good tight end and Lachey is capable but they cant stretch the field.

So I do not see enough points out of this offense to beat much of anyone besides Nevada and maybe Illinois and NEbby, maybe jNW.

Wisky is not great but their defense will probably totally shut down our offense unless we improve a lot.

Reactions: shudaddy
4-8/5-7.

Iowa and Utah St. appear to be leading the “Regression after winning games in unsustainable fashion” sweepstakes.

Trying to remain as level-headed as possible and keeping in mind much of the Big Ten West has also had their share of struggles, 6-6 or even 5-7 seems realistic. I assume the team will get better as the year goes along, but it’s in danger of falling into 2012 territory. I can't see a remote chance of beating Michigan, Ohio State, or Purdue at this point. Take Nevada as a win. Rest I'd toss a coin.

I’m going to say with Petras 3-9, If we don’t make a change, defense will keep ‘em close most of the year and we luck into a couple more wins.

IF we make a change at QB now, I could see 8-4, 9-3 type year….MAYBE 10-2, only because the west is awful….let’s not forget we have arguably one of the best defenses in the country…and are nearly 2-0 in spite of one of the worst offenses.

An objective view of the schedule right now would lead to the conclusion that 4-8 might be overly optimistic. The ESPN predictor gives Iowa less than a 50% shot at beating Rutgers. That's pretty much all you need to know about the prospects for the rest of this season. Right now, there's no way to honestly conclude this team gets more than 3 or 4 wins.

BTW: I agree with BigOHawk regarding Brody Brecht: The kid should be playing at least half the time and running deep patterns often, and Padilla or Labas should be throwing forty or fifty yards down the field to him. Complete or not, those passes will loosen up the defense. Heck, one might even work for one of those things they call a touchdown. But not using Brecht, if he's healthy, is just another ridiculous failure by FFF (Ferentz Family Football.)

I remember when Hayden Fry had injury problems at WR and needed somebody to take the top off the defense, so he brought a kid in from the Hawkeye track team on Monday. On Saturday the kid ran a fly pattern down the right sideline, caught the pass in stride, and raced in for a touchdown. (You could look it up.) It's really not that difficult except, of course, in KF's ultraconservative mind.

An objective view of the schedule right now would lead to the conclusion that 4-8 might be overly optimistic. The ESPN predictor gives Iowa less than a 50% shot at beating Rutgers. That's pretty much all you need to know about the prospects for the rest of this season. Right now, there's no way to honestly conclude this team gets more than 3 or 4 wins.

BTW: I agree with BigOHawk regarding Brody Brecht: The kid should be playing at least half the time and running deep patterns often, and Padilla or Labas should be throwing forty or fifty yards down the field to him. Complete or not, those passes will loosen up the defense. Heck, one might even work for one of those things they call a touchdown. But not using Brecht, if he's healthy, is just another ridiculous failure by FFF (Ferentz Family Football.)

I remember when Hayden Fry had injury problems at WR and needed somebody to take the top off the defense, so he brought a kid in from the Hawkeye track team on Monday. On Saturday the kid ran a fly pattern down the right sideline, caught the pass in stride, and raced in for a touchdown. (You could look it up.) It's really not that difficult except, of course, in KF's ultraconservative mind.
Hey now they did up Brecht's snaps from 1 to 3 so in about two years he will playing a large amount of snaps and should have the offense down by then.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32

You HAVE to throw 50/50 balls, and let players make plays. The defense has to consider covering more than 11 yards. An interception is basically a long punt. I’m afraid Kirk sees them as wasted downs and far too risky, so we don’t make it happen.

Also, I THINK you’re referring to Bashir Yamini in the Hayden Fry days.

4-8 seems most likely.

If that’s what it takes to get Brian out and a real OC (with authority to run things his way) in, then I’m more than happy to flush the season.

That was homecoming 1981 — a 42-28 win over Indiana

The track sprinter who caught the TD pass — Charles “Charlie” Jones 😀

Iowa is a 20.5 favorite (!) over Nevada. Bookies are going to lose a LOT of money with that asinine line. Would be a more appropriate over/under total. Guessing a 13-3 type of game for Iowa unless Vegas knows something we don't about personnel changes.

If Iowa can find the way to improve on offense (like, consistently scoring 17+ a game), they might be able to scratch and claw their way to 7-5. I really have little hope this will happen and think 4-8 is probably the most realistic finish, but if that's what it takes to run the Ferentzes (at least BF) out of town, then so be it.

Without a QB change there is no way this team finishes better than 4-8 and very well could be 2-10. A new QB providing spark may get us to 6 wins.

I feel so bad for the defense - they will be so worn out by Nov that the Minn, Purd and Wisky games could get downright ugly (in addition to the Mich and OSU whippings we’ll get).
4-8 seems about right unless something big happens.

Nev- W
Rut- W
MIch- L
Ill- W
OSU- L
NW- W
PU- L
Wis- L
Min- L
Neb- W

6-6 if no changes are made. Maybe could push for 8-4 or higher if a backup plays better, we block better, and our WR group gets some guys back.

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I’m waiting for the unit that blasted the Kentucky front 7 in the bowl game to show up. Guys like Stevens, Dunker, Elsbury and Jones are getting their first taste of real playing time. Colby and Richman played a lot last year but still are only Sophomores (Colby a true at that).
That’s one area where I am cautiously optimistic.

Receivers and QB… not so much.
You do know why they looked competent against Kentucky don't you? Kentucky had 7 starters out on defense.

Nev- W
Rut- W
MIch- L
Ill- W
OSU- L
NW- W
PU- L
Wis- L
Min- L
Neb- W

6-6. I hear Detroit is lovely in December.

You do know why they looked competent against Kentucky don't you? Kentucky had 7 starters out on defense.
I remember that. How do 2nd teamers from a 9 win SEC team compare to a crappy B12 and and a really good FCS team?
I don’t know, but even without Linderbaum I thought they’d be further along.

Well, it'd be the first time since 2002 that something like that would happen so......
you are basically saying loss to isu is the sign of a horrible ia team. usually yes but this time the weakest link might be individual not a unit. furthermore D and ST might be the best we’ve seen.
i would still expect D and ST to carry the load, just make their excellent work less susceptible to torpedoeing from 1 position

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT