ADVERTISEMENT

After backlash for not kneeling with NWSL teammates, Rachel Hill explains why she didn't join racial

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Are you $hitting me!? People raised all kinds of hell about kneeling, now those same folks are raising hell about standing? Freedom is freedom...it's not a one way street. Rachael Hill has the same right to stand for the flag as her teammates do in kneeling. No one should have to defend themselves for kneeling or standing. I support BOTH those who chose to kneel and those who stand.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rachel...casey-short-julie-ertz-protest-035024162.html

That player, forward Rachel Hill, took to Twitter on Tuesday to explain her decision, which she said “did not come easily or without profound thought.”

In a lengthy statement, Hill said she supported the message of the protests, but cited the military members of her family as why she chose to not kneel. She also mentioned having “genuine” conversations with Short and Ertz before and after the game.

" data-reactid="20" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: "Yahoo Sans"; font-size: 17px;">

The crux of Hill’s explanation:

I chose to stand because of what the flag inherently means to my military family members and me, but I 100% percent support my peers. Symbolically, I tried to show this with the placement of my hand on Casey’s shoulder and bowing my head. I struggled, but felt that these actions showed my truth, and in the end I wanted to remain true to myself.

If this wasn’t clear, let my words and further actions be. I support the black lives matter movement wholeheartedly. I also support and will do my part in fighting against the current inequality. As a white athlete, it is way past due for me to be diligently anti-racist.

I, Casey, can only speak for myself but the conversations I have had with players, specifically Rachel, have been unapologetically authentic. I have to ask where my hope lies. It lies in my faith and those types of conversations that have been long overdue. The types of conversations that are raw and uncomfortable, that can lead to real impactful change.

Clearly, none of this was easy for anyone involved.

3afabca0-b904-11ea-bb8f-61db8ade9824

Why are women’s soccer games being played during a pandemic? This is reckless. There’s no need for these games to be taking place.

FTR, I never remove my hat (if I'm wearing one) at any game when they play the SSB. What the fvck... why? What does headgear have to do with a feeling that should live in your heart? All these stupid, assumed preferential gesticulations are for delusional-thinking people. No, thanks!

Here's some sound advice: Stop playing jingoist, nationalism "anthems" at sporting events. I'm there to root for the team, not go to war with another middle eastern country that hasn't harmed me.

This is Bullshit, just like I've always supported kneeling well before it was politicized by a bunch of Beta Males I will stand and those that feel they can stand, stand. Be aware of why ones around you don't feel they can stand and are kneeling.

ADVERTISEMENT