ADVERTISEMENT

After challenging Trump, Haley and DeSantis denied speaking slots at RNC 2024

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
After a bitter primary, former President Donald Trump’s main GOP rivals Nikki Haley and Ron DeSantis have worked to make amends.

Haley recently released her delegates and encouraged them to support Trump. DeSantis endorsed Trump and has pledged to help his campaign.

Yet neither will be speaking at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee next week. Haley won’t be attending the convention. A spokesman for the former South Carolina governor said she wasn’t invited.

DeSantis will be in Milwaukee, but only on the periphery of the convention. The two-term Florida governor is scheduled to participate in a Moms for Liberty panel discussion and a breakfast with his state delegation . But a source familiar with the planning said DeSantis won’t have a spot on the convention stage during the four-day affair.

Showcasing future talent and promoting party unity typically are key elements of political conventions.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley exchange words at the Republican Presidential Primary Debate at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa on Jan. 10, 2024.

Both Haley and DeSantis are potential presidential candidates in 2028 and beyond, and there have been questions about whether Haley supporters, who tend to be more moderate, will back Trump in the general election.

That neither will have a speaking role may be a sign that Trump feels he’s in a strong position within the GOP and doesn’t need to worry about unifying the party. It also could be a sign of lingering tensions between Trump and his primary rivals. Trump framed both DeSantis’ and Haley’s presidential campaigns as acts of betrayal.

Trump’s endorsement propelled DeSantis to the governorship in 2018, and the former president said it was disloyal to challenge him in the primary. Haley served as Trump’s ambassador to the United Nations. DeSantis challenged Trump from the right, while Haley targeted GOP voters at the other end of the spectrum. Neither collected many delegates.

I can’t wait to see who’s scheduled for the DNC.
I mean that bench is sooo deep it’ll be nonstop younger up and comers.
Newsom? Pete?

Newsom? Pete?
The problem with the democratic party is the dnc won't support anyone that's not over the hill.

Newsom? Pete?

Hey Joemom, I think you intended this for the thread about the DNC, you accidentally posted it in the RNC thread. I'm sure you're just a little worn out from hectic travel and overexerting yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT