ADVERTISEMENT

After student loan forgiveness, 73% of borrowers plan to spend more on travel and dining out

You understand the concept of an Executive Order? The President has the power, is that illegal too?

Tuesday's election was somewhat of a reaction to what Biden is doing/has done. Judging by some narrow Republican victories, doesn't look like that Red Wave materialized, so I don't think the loan thing was an issue.

Show me where people that voted for GOP candidates listed "loan forgiveness" as the big reason they voted red.

I'll save you time... they didn't.
Ill take your line of thinking. Show me where people like Pizza more than Hamburgers? I can make up questions too. It’s not hard.
I’ll save you time. The midterms were about abortion and Trump. You actually think people were/are happy with Biden? Are you serious Clark?
That’s like Iowa’s defense going up to the offense after the first football game of the season against South Dakota State where they won 7 to 3 and being like. We won guys! Did you see us out there at Kinnick!

Last edited:
That comment is beyond stupid.

I'm not getting into such a ridiculous argument.

The loan forgiveness is not for a loan taken out in sometime in the next 20 years.

Goddammit, be better.
The same principle applies

Ill take your line of thinking. Show me where people like Pizza more than Hamburgers? I can make up questions too. It’s not hard.
I’ll save you time. The midterms were about abortion and Trump. You actually think people were/are happy with Biden? Are you serious Clark?
That’s like Iowa’s defense going up to the offense after the first football game of the season against South Dakota State where they won 7 to 3 and being like. We won guys! Did you see us out there at Kinnick!
What happened in the midterms is it was a choice, as Biden declared. I didn't interpret the results as a referendum on the WH, as Republicans said it would be.

And judging by the results of a midterm election... it seems voters understand the situation and the dynamics of post Covid and a war in Ukraine.

The economy and inflation were the two big issues. Everything else was far down the list. Trump influence was a local issue.

You didn't put much thought into your post. Admit it.

What happened in the midterms is it was a choice, as Biden declared. I didn't interpret the results as a referendum on the WH, as Republicans said it would be.

And judging by the results of a midterm election... it seems voters understand the situation and the dynamics of post Covid and a war in Ukraine.

The economy and inflation were the two big issues. Everything else was far down the list. Trump influence was a local issue.

You didn't put much thought into your post. Admit it.
You are lost. Can’t help you there big guy. Show me where people like pizza more than hamburgers?

The same principle applies
No it doesn't.

And even if it did, should every American voter be happy that 60% of farm income is govt related?

Our tax dollars are paying for farm grants and subsidies. You just helped some rich farmer finance his four month vacation in Arizona.

JFC

But all these lawsuits to overturn it are a waste of time. Let’s say hypothetically it does get overturned 3 years down the road, is the federal government going to give a massive voting bloc an additional $10k in debt?

Also didn’t they try this in Wisconsin and Barret throw the lawsuit out instantly?
You’re probably right…Biden never should have done it in the first place. His previous statements on the subject showed he didn’t think he had the authority.

Just a vote grab IMO. Oh well…

Last edited:
No it doesn't.

And even if it did, should every American voter be happy that 60% of farm income is govt related?

Our tax dollars are paying for farm grants and subsidies. You just helped some rich farmer finance his four month vacation in Arizona.

JFC
I’m shocked. Shocked to find out that an executive order is involved with farm subsidies. Wait. They aren’t?

You are lost. Can’t help you there big guy. Show me where people like pizza more than hamburgers?
Let me guess... you don't have kids or they graduated from college in the last century when college was somewhat affordable.

My tax dollars go to any number of places where I don't directly benefit. Am I here pissing and moaning?
I bring up farmers as a "whataboutism/comparison".

No it doesn't.

JFC
Don’t you think subsidizing farmers has a greater good impact on all of us here in the United States and arguably the world than forgiving a students loan?

I’m shocked. Shocked to find out that an executive order is involved with farm subsidies. Wait. They aren’t?
The issue is free $$$, pure and simple. That's the Radical Right complaint as they saw it as buying votes. Buying votes just like the Iowa Governor and her tax giveaways. Or Turd's tax breaks for the wealthy.

I never denied Biden had an ulterior motive in this action.

Let me guess... you don't have kids or they graduated from college in the last century when college was somewhat affordable.

My tax dollars go to any number of places where I don't directly benefit. Am I here pissing and moaning?
Wages vs student debt is a lot better than when I went to school. I made 28000 a year out of nursing school in 1997 and had around 16000 in student loan debt. Now the average nurse makes 66000 a year and has anywhere from 19000-23000 in average debt

Again, there is nothing wrong with student loan debt forgiveness. But it has to come from Congress. The line of thinking of, “Well it’s the right thing to do, so the ends justify the means,” is dangerous. Jan 6 comes to mind. There’s a role each person in our government plays. When you step outside your legal authority, bad things happen. And it sets a horrible precedent.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Again, there is nothing wrong with student loan debt forgiveness. But it has to come from Congress. The line of thinking of, “Well it’s the right thing to do, so the ends justify the means,” is dangerous. Jan 6 comes to mind. There’s a role each person in our government plays. When you step outside your legal authority, bad things happen. And it sets a horrible precedent.
The problem with running it through Congress in an election year is obvious.
It was going to be unpopular for some and put some good politicians in peril...separate from the merits of the plan.

Biden knew that. So he went this route.

I applaud the WH. He knew States that have lower education standards and less college grads were never going to like this.
Look at the State where this latest ruling came from

The problem with running it through Congress in an election year is obvious.
It was going to be unpopular for some and put some good politicians in peril...separate from the merits of the plan.

Biden knew that. So he went this route.

I applaud the WH. He knew States that have lower education standards and less college grads were never going to like this.
Look at the State where this latest ruling came from
Did you applaud Trump when he attempted to break the law and steal the election? You can’t just pick and choose what laws to follow in this country as President. Or at least you shouldn’t be able . Yet here we are.

Did you applaud Trump when he attempted to break the law and steal the election? You can’t just pick and choose what laws to follow in this country as President. Or at least you shouldn’t be able . Yet here we are.
Did student loan forgiveness result in any deaths or the overthrowing of our democracy.

That was a terrible comparison.

Biden should have gone the EO route.

I'll say it again. At all levels of government, government in this country is mainly a vehicle to transfer to or maintain the wealth of the already wealthy. Any program like student loan forgiveness that directly helps regular people is good and worthy just on that basis.

Did student loan forgiveness result in any deaths or the overthrowing of our democracy.

That was a terrible comparison.

Biden should have gone the EO route.
Well he did. And it’s shut down. But he got his votes. What a guy right? The people get screwed for political gain.

The people who were promised student loan debt forgiveness through an executive order that Biden knew was likely to fail in the court system. And then showed up to vote for him because he is a man of his word!
Is that the word from Casey's this morning? You should tell them that a boarder is not the same thing as a border

White House looks like it will extend the pause past the “final, this time we mean it, final” extension from early fall that would restart payments January 1. When will this madness end?

Reactions: DogBoyRy
White House looks like it will extend the pause past the “final, this time we mean it, final” extension from early fall that would restart payments January 1. When will this madness end?
No/low interest rates is the only viable solution in this shit show.

I'll say it again. At all levels of government, government in this country is mainly a vehicle to transfer to or maintain the wealth of the already wealthy. Any program like student loan forgiveness that directly helps regular people is good and worthy just on that basis.

High tuition costs are paying bloated administration and professor salaries. Start there.

You’re probably right…Biden never should have done it in the first place. His previous statements on the subject showed he didn’t think he had the authority.

Just a vote grab IMO. Oh well…
Everything is a vote grab these days. It used to be only appease the retires w/ SS and Medicare. Now it's appease Gen Z with stimulus in 2020 and free student loans in 2022. What will 2024 bring? The Republicans need to up their game if they want to compete with the handouts to young voters. The average voter is short term thinker so need to appeal to them. If we are running student council elections then adapt or get left behind.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
boji,

Why is student debt any more important than other types of debt?
It has been different than other types of debt in that except in exceptional circumstances it couldn't be discharged in bankruptcy.

Also, it's debt that's been incurred often as a result of societal pressure on impressionable and immature teenagers that they must take on this debt to achieve the American dream. It's not like an investment in a car/house.

Northern, do you realize that every time this gets extended because R’s want to politic in the courts, borrowers are accruing months towards their repayment plans by making no payments? This extension runs the total up to 40 months which is either 1/3 or 1/6th of the total payments depending on what type of work you’re in.

It has been different than other types of debt in that except in exceptional circumstances it couldn't be discharged in bankruptcy.

Also, it's debt that's been incurred often as a result of societal pressure on impressionable and immature teenagers that they must take on this debt to achieve the American dream. It's not like an investment in a car/house.

People need cars to work. People need homes for shelter.

Northern, do you realize that every time this gets extended because R’s want to politic in the courts, borrowers are accruing months towards their repayment plans by making no payments? This extension runs the total up to 40 months which is either 1/3 or 1/6th of the total payments depending on what type of work you’re in.

Biden has extended this numerous times, and in some instances unrelated to the forgiveness plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT