C SO C. Banwart 6’4” 300

RG JR K. Schott 6’2” 290
RG SR C. Banwart 6’4” 300

RT JR M. Kallenberger 6’5” 290
-OR-
RT SR C. Cronk 6’5” 325
RT N. Dejong 6’6” 285

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty good overall, but just a note that Jenkins left the program.

I would like to see IKM in the offense more. I however would not want to take away touches from Goodson. Sargent is a good change of pace back so he is definitely a #2 to either of them. Hopefully Martin is healthy or better maybe get him on punt returns? Idk maybe even Tracy? The clear cut WR’s are the Smith’s but past them for me it would be hard to pick! I have no input for lineman I’ll let the ferentz’s figure out that puzzle haha. Wouldn’t surprise me if we see Yelverton in some passing situations at some point if he picks up the playbook quickly like we saw LaPorta last year. Don’t know much about Miamen...a good question would be who are the freshies that are gonna see the field and then who are the ones we think will be played past 4 games? I believe since that rule originally came about we’ve always had at least 3-4 freshman play past 4 games.

Random thought... move schott to center or guard backup, he’s a smaller dude that deserve to play some, but I would rather see someone else at guard if they step up...

No way Hogan jumps Padilla this year...not even close.
I’m okay with that...but curious why you think so...is it because of the time he’s had in the system or do you feel he’ll be the next guy after Petras? Or will jump Petras? Just curious...seemed like a pretty smart/athletic kid...wondering if you have some inside knowledge on it.

No way Hogan jumps Padilla this year...not even close.
It'll be just like Petras beating Mansell.

Padilla will be QB2 in 2020 to preserve Hogan's redshirt.

Hogan starts to push him in the 2021 spring/offseason, before actually taking the backup role as a RSFR during the 2021 season.

That's not bagging on Padilla, I think he's a fine QB and would be far from a bad option should he earn the starting role down the line, but I just think Hogan has better potential and is more in the mold of what we usually look for in a QB.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
QB SO* S. Petras 6’5” 230
QB FR* A. Padilla 6’1” 195
-OR-
QB FR D. Hogan 6’4” 200

RB SO T. Goodson 5’11 195
RB SR M. Sargent 5’9” 212
-OR-
RB JR* I. Kelly-Martin 5’10” 205

SL SO* T. Tracy 5’11” 200
-OR-
SL SO* N. Ragaini 6’0” 192

WRX SR B. Smith 6’2” 218
WRX JR* O. Martin 6’1” 200
-OR-
WRX FR* D.Hutson 6’3” 200

WRZ SR I. Smith-Marsette 6’1” 190
WRZ JR* O.Martin 6’1” 200
-OR-
WRZ SO* C. Lockett 6’2” 182

TEH SO S. LaPorta 6’4” 242
TEH SR S. Beyer 6’5” 245
-OR-
TEH FR* J. Miamen 6’4” 235
-OR-
TEH FR E. Yelverton 6’4” 225

LT SR A.Jackson 6’6” 320
LT JR M. Kallenberger 6’5” 290

LG JR M. Kallenberger 6’5” 290
-OR-
LG FR* J. Britt 6’5” 295

C SO* T. Linderbaum 6’3” 290
C SO J. Jenkins

RG JR K. Schott 6’2” 290

RT SR C. Cronk 6’5” 325
RT SO J. Plumb 6’7” 272
-OR-
RT N. Dejong 6’6” 285
OL remarks:

Banwart has seniority ... but Schott has played more, more recently. Between Banwart and Schott ... I'd put an "OR."

At RT, the crappy thing about no spring camp is that Cronk has had minimal time to work with the coaches. Thus, at RT I'd put Kallenberger OR Cronk.

Lastly, I thought that Ince played a surprising amount last season ... I suspect that he'll be in the rotation in '20. Also, I agree with others that Britt will likely find his way on the field too ... albeit, probably in a rotated capacity (not a bad way to get his feet wet).

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
The Stanley haters may be missing Nate before this year is done. I’m sure Spencer is much improved from this video and would love for him to surprise, but I sense there will be plenty of growing pains.

-OR-
QB FR D. Hogan 6’4” 200

-OR-

-OR-

WRX SR B. Smith 6’2” 218
-OR-

-OR-

TEH SR S. Beyer 6’5” 245
-OR-
-OR-

LT SR A.Jackson 6’6” 320

LG JR M. Kallenberger 6’5” 290
-OR-
LG FR* J. Britt 6’5” 295

C SO J. Jenkins

RG JR K. Schott 6’2” 290

RT SR C. Cronk 6’5” 325
RT SO J. Plumb 6’7” 272
-OR-
RT N. Dejong 6’6” 285
At WR, without question, our top 4 guys were Ihmir, Brandon, Tracy, and Ragaini. However, Max Cooper's greater grasp of our O earned him more trust and more playing time than many of the other back-ups behind the top 4. Had LaPorta not emerged as he had ... somewhat filling the void created by Brandon's injury ... it's possible that we could have seen Hutson see more reps. I know that the coaches seemed to really be high on Hutson.

Also, I'm still rather intrigued by Charlie Jones ... he played a lot for Buffalo. Furthermore, I believe that he was already catching the eye of the coaches on special teams - particularly, relating to our return game (he apparently has some nice shiftiness and explosion). If Jones can initially earn some trust in the return game - that could easily open the door for him earning more trust and more opportunities.

The Stanley haters may be missing Nate before this year is done. I’m sure Spencer is much improved from this video and would love for him to surprise, but I sense there will be plenty of growing pains.
Yeah, most folks don't appreciate all the key things that Nate did for the O ... reading the Ds, getting the O aligned, etc ... younger guys tend to play young until they truly get battle-tested. Until then, they're still a little bit more like glorified game-managers.

It may not be this year, but I think DeJong will be a great player. One of the next walk on to success stories.

I think we see Schott and Banwart at guard. They seem to be the top 2 when healthy. God damn is that a lot of experience. If Petras can deliver it will be tough to stop pop plays from happening. Laporta, Goodson, ISM, and Tracy are 4 legit playmakers, and that’s not including Brandon Smith (sr), Ragaini and Beyer (Sr). who have proven they are capable of playing well. Brian has his offense primed, it will be interesting to see what it looks like

I think we see Schott and Banwart at guard. They seem to be the top 2 when healthy. God damn is that a lot of experience. If Petras can deliver it will be tough to stop pop plays from happening. Laporta, Goodson, ISM, and Tracy are 4 legit playmakers, and that’s not including Brandon Smith (sr), Ragaini and Beyer (Sr). who have proven they are capable of playing well. Brian has his offense primed, it will be interesting to see what it looks like
Not saying he won't produce as a senior, but what exactly has Beyer done to prove that he can play well?

We've seen everything we're going to see out of Beyers at TE, and while from all indications he's a good hard-working kid, it's just nothing special. Would love to see one of the younger guys brought in as the second TE to up the offensive weaponry, assuming their blocking is serviceable.

We've seen everything we're going to see out of Beyers at TE, and while from all indications he's a good hard-working kid, it's just nothing special. Would love to see one of the younger guys brought in as the second TE to up the offensive weaponry, assuming their blocking is serviceable.
Hasn’t he also had injury trouble off and on?

Reactions: iafan44
The Op edited list is pretty spot on. I think that IF he is healthy don't sleep on IKM getting some carries with Goodson a solid no.1.
I agree that at some point we could see someone else moving into the no. 2 TE spot. Their ability to block may be the differentiation point.
My OL starters;
LT -AJ
LG -Kallenburger
C -LB
RG -Banwart/Schott/Britt/Ince/Plumb/ etc. *-or-* whoever wins the #5 spot on the OL
RT - Cronk

Reactions: Hawkeye_311
The Op edited list is pretty spot on. I think that IF he is healthy don't sleep on IKM getting some carries with Goodson a solid no.1.
I agree that at some point we could see someone else moving into the no. 2 TE spot. Their ability to block may be the differentiation point.
My OL starters;
LT -AJ
LG -Kallenburger
C -LB
RG -Banwart/Schott/Britt/Ince/Plumb/ etc. *-or-* whoever wins the #5 spot on the OL
RT - Cronk
I agree with this as far as the OL goes.

Nate's TD to interceptions were 68/23-2.99/1 No other three or more year starter was even close to that level. Far the fewest TOs of any three or more year starter.

Career, tied for second in wins as a starter, second in TDs, second in total yards and best, by far, TD/TO ratio. That's a tough act to follow, big shoes to fill and multiple other clichés.

Nate's TD to interceptions were 68/23-2.99/1 No other three or more year starter was even close to that level. Far the fewest TOs of any three or more year starter.

Career, tied for second in wins as a starter, second in TDs, second in total yards and best, by far, TD/TO ratio. That's a tough act to follow, big shoes to fill and multiple other clichés.
Yea but.......he didn't do this, and he didn't do that.....Like the QB plays in some type of bubble...

***EDITED***

QB FR D. Hogan 6’4” 200

-OR-

-OR-

WRX SR B. Smith 6’2” 218
-OR-

-OR-

TEH SR S. Beyer 6’5” 245
-OR-
-OR-

LT SR A.Jackson 6’6” 320

LG FR* J. Britt 6’5” 295
LG FR* C. Ince 6’4” 290

C SO C. Banwart 6’4” 300

RG JR K. Schott 6’2” 290

RT JR M. Kallenberger 6’5” 290
-OR-
RT SR C. Cronk 6’5” 325
RT N. Dejong 6’6” 285
Solid but I would be very surprised if Cronk didn’t start.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
A lot of the passes Spencer threw were under thrown and the receiver had to slow down and wait for the ball. Hopefully he has got that corrected. That looked like a fun game to watch , but both defenses looked suspect.
I'm no expert but he looked like he short armed the passes. Also, many time I wondered if I was watching Big 12 defenses out there.

Tracy and Ragaini both need to reduce the number of dropped balls, and as others have said Beyer needs to show more than he has in his first 4 years to be a factor.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1

I’m not a Stanley hater. I think he is somewhat under-appreciated but he wasn’t perfect and there is no doubting that he laid some eggs in done big games over the years. But in the one time that Petras played for a significant period of time - in scrimmage on Kid’s Day - he was the best QB on the field.

That doesn’t mean he will be better then Stanley or won’t have some struggles. But the talent is there.

Reactions: mariner67
I’m not a Stanley hater. I think he is somewhat under-appreciated but he wasn’t perfect and there is no doubting that he laid some eggs in done big games over the years. But in the one time that Petras played for a significant period of time - in scrimmage on Kid’s Day - he was the best QB on the field.

That doesn’t mean he will be better then Stanley or won’t have some struggles. But the talent is there.
You can't be that obtuse to understand what a big freaking hill Stanley has laid for Petras to climb. I for one hope he shatters Stanley's accomplishments. Quit dwelling on what Stanley didn't do, he was a stud Iowa QB.

Reactions: mariner67
I really like the " Here we come play's ( QB sneaks) that the defense knew was coming and could not stop with the "Sorry, did I step on you"? look at the end of play, lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT