ADVERTISEMENT

Agree or disagree on “Tight End U”

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
I don’t by this and with all the recent success with Iowa TE’s Iowa should easily be in the top 3? A few years ago weren’t they battling it out with Miami for the top spot? I just can’t remember where I read that but will update this as soon as I find it or someone else finds it .. also.. Maryland number 3?

I don’t by this and with all the recent success with Iowa TE’s Iowa should easily be in the top 3? A few years ago weren’t they battling it out with Miami for the top spot? I just can’t remember where I read that but will update this as soon as I find it or someone else finds it .. also.. Maryland number 3?

I presume you are referencing the Sports Illustrated article (today it ismore like Sports Idiots who's writing went down hill many decade ago and now put "pretty faced fat (dare I say OBESE) girls in their swimsuit issues. The Swimsuit issues have gonna down since the days of Kathy Ireland and Elle MacPherson). I regress.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/04/modern-tight-end-u-based-on-numbers

Back on topic. Stanford maybe SI's opinion as TEu but most of Stanford's guys were either 4 star home stater or high 3 star guys. Stanford benefitted by have 4 of those guys be in Jim Harbaugh's first three recruiting classes to Stanford along with QB Andrew Luck, running a pro-set offense that used TEs. Harbaugh took 4 TE recruits in 2009 alone. Using a ten year span can be a little longer for the Not For Long league for assessing NFL production titles. What have you done for me lately?

Miami has been a blue blood and a great winning program until its bag men were caught and fled town for a while. Jimmy Graham was a basketball player with great size and hands.

Personally, I could be on the starting end of a renaissance for NFL quality TEs. I like Lachey and Yelverton and Sam LaPorta seems like a steal. Shaun Beyer could get a shot in the NFL if he has a good year. I believe Iowa's TE recruiting should be excellent in 2022 with the talent level Iowa has offered.

kathy-ireland-elle-macpherson-and-rachel-hunter-swimsuit-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

I presume you are referencing the Sports Illustrated article (today it ismore like Sports Idiots who's writing went down hill many decade ago and now put "pretty faced fat (dare I say OBESE) girls in their swimsuit issues. The Swimsuit issues have gonna down since the days of Kathy Ireland and Elle MacPherson). I regress.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/04/modern-tight-end-u-based-on-numbers

Back on topic. Stanford maybe SI's opinion as TEu but most of Stanford's guys were either 4 star home stater or high 3 star guys. Stanford benefitted by have 4 of those guys be in Jim Harbaugh's first three recruiting classes to Stanford along with QB Andrew Luck, running a pro-set offense that used TEs. Harbaugh took 4 TE recruits in 2009 alone. Using a ten year span can be a little longer for the Not For Long league for assessing NFL production titles. What have you done for me lately?

Miami has been a blue blood and a great winning program until its bag men were caught and fled town for a while. Jimmy Graham was a basketball player with great size and hands.

Personally, I could be on the starting end of a renaissance for NFL quality TEs. I like Lachey and Yelverton and Sam LaPorta seems like a steal. Shaun Beyer could get a shot in the NFL if he has a good year. I believe Iowa's TE recruiting should be excellent in 2022 with the talent level Iowa has offered.

kathy-ireland-elle-macpherson-and-rachel-hunter-swimsuit-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

Thanks for posting the link and yes correct with the SI.. I swear I pasted it to the message but apparently it fell off

The only thing that SI did well, the Swimsuit issue, might be on the way out? Crime.

Iowa is Tight End U and it's not close.

George Kittle, 'The People's Tight End' has skyrocketed the Iowa Hawkeye program to the top of the list.

That is buttressed by the talented Noah Fant, Denver Broncos, as well as Top 10 NFL draft pick, TJ Hockenson.

Hawkeyes current roster has some great talent, at TE, as well. Sam LaPorta and Luke Lachey are sure Stars for Hawks.

Come on, man.

Miami
Stanford
Iowa
ND

Not in that order. But all four have cranked out good to great TEs

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Tight ends drafted since 2000

Miami 13 Notre damn 13
Iowa 11
Stanford 9

Although notre dame & miami have more selections
I think the iowa draftees have performed at a higher level in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
There is no doubt that Iowa has to be in the top 5, as you can look down the years to see good to great TE's coming out damn near every year. All I care about is whether it is helping to get Iowa in the door with the top TE prospects in the country today, and I think it is. Helm didn't hesitate to show interest the moment Iowa offered. Hopefully he will commit and be another future great Hawkeye. Fidone....He will follow his heart instead of his head and end up losing 3 or 4 straight against the Hawks, and in my opinion (if Gunner Helm becomes a Hawk) will be drafted after Helm. No question that Iowa is going to make an average TE good, and a good TE great, not to mention a complete TE.

Miami 13 Notre damn 13
Iowa 11
Stanford 9

I would agree with this. Miami and Notre Dame have more, but theirs are mostly has beens now. Greg Olsen and Jimmy Graham are fractions of what they used to be and neither were as good as what Kittle is now. Franks, Shockey and Winslow were average players for a few years, nothing great. Lately though they have put out nothing but hot garbage-- Njoku who is now a 2nd or 3rd string? Stanford is probably the closest to Iowa with current talent just because of Hooper and Ertz.

Reactions: m.stoops2013

Miami 13 Notre damn 13
Iowa 11
Stanford 9

Off the top of my head, here are some that performed well in the NFL.

Miami: Shockley, Winslow II, Graham, Olsen
ND: Rudolph
Iowa: Clark, Kittle, Fant, Meyer, CJF
Stanford:

Reactions: m.stoops2013
There is no doubt that Iowa has to be in the top 5, as you can look down the years to see good to great TE's coming out damn near every year. All I care about is whether it is helping to get Iowa in the door with the top TE prospects in the country today, and I think it is. Helm didn't hesitate to show interest the moment Iowa offered. Hopefully he will commit and be another future great Hawkeye. Fidone....He will follow his heart instead of his head and end up losing 3 or 4 straight against the Hawks, and in my opinion (if Gunner Helm becomes a Hawk) will be drafted after Helm. No question that Iowa is going to make an average TE good, and a good TE great, not to mention a complete TE.

One thing that really seems to help a capable TE become much better prospect for the NFL is.... working with a draft quality QB during college. The Stanford guys had Andrew Luck. Miami had some stud QBs for a time. Iowa has had two of its better QBs in recent years in Stanley and CJ Beathard and I believe my Hawkeye football connections that Petras has the right kind of NFL cannon but he needs more accuracy. Iowa's QB roster is probably stronger today than even when Long, Vlasic and Hartlieb were in the fold. Sounds like there will be a shootout between Deuce and Alex for the number 2 spot. This will help the quality of reps the young receiving corps (WRs and TEs) to grow on.

Like I said before, the Class of 2022 could be special as I see Iowa taking 2 TEs and the prospect names of Eli Raridon ( in state) , Jack Nickel and Micah Riley sound like Iowa has some good relationships in place.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT