ADVERTISEMENT

Agree with KF on one point, not so much on another

Beattheohiostate

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
I like what KF said when asked about commits taking more visits, the roundabout but necessary route to the Proctor visiting Oregon thing. The head coach said the program didn't depend on one recruit, and if they didn't get somebody, they'd recruit around that. It was an honest, transparent statement that emphasized team and integrity. And it was a message to Proctor and every other Iowa recruit and prospective recruit--a perfect message, IMHO.

But then KF said DeJean may not return punts against Minnesota because he's too great a blocker. I was deeply disappointed but not surprised. KF, once again, values blocking above playmaking. DeJean doesn't need great blocking. He just needs the ball. In contrast, despite DeJean's excellent blocking, Arland Bruce IV has been a mediocre to poor punt returner all season. After seeing what DeJean did last week without DeJean blocking for himself, KF is STILL not convinced he should keep DeJean back there. And that's the kind of analysis that leads to the nation's worst offense. Even after KF admitted DeJean is a rare talent, he says something like that about punt return . . .

What KF says in public and what KF believes is best for the team is often not the same. There's much more to it than the simple explanation he gives during his short press conferences. Stop taking what he says in public about their game plans or their reasoning for making decisions at face value. The staff has no obligation to tell you part or all of the truth.

He can say whatever he wants, but if Proctor leaves even KF as clueless as he is knows that’s a huge loss. As far as the punt returner it’s not surprising he would trot Bruce back out there. Dejean is clearly our best playmaker as Bruce has trouble just catching the ball instead of letting it bounce, and doesn’t do much if he does catch it. With the worst offense in football you would think he would do whatever he could to help get great field position.

I like what KF said when asked about commits taking more visits, the roundabout but necessary route to the Proctor visiting Oregon thing. The head coach said the program didn't depend on one recruit, and if they didn't get somebody, they'd recruit around that. It was an honest, transparent statement that emphasized team and integrity. And it was a message to Proctor and every other Iowa recruit and prospective recruit--a perfect message, IMHO.

But then KF said DeJean may not return punts against Minnesota because he's too great a blocker. I was deeply disappointed but not surprised. KF, once again, values blocking above playmaking. DeJean doesn't need great blocking. He just needs the ball. In contrast, despite DeJean's excellent blocking, Arland Bruce IV has been a mediocre to poor punt returner all season. After seeing what DeJean did last week without DeJean blocking for himself, KF is STILL not convinced he should keep DeJean back there. And that's the kind of analysis that leads to the nation's worst offense. Even after KF admitted DeJean is a rare talent, he says something like that about punt return . . .
I'd interpret Kirk's comments to relate more to the fact that he also wants to keep DeJean healthy. When you're blocking in that context, you can actually use the opponent's momentum against them ... and then you have more control about the nature of the contact. In contrast, when you're the returning ... you're opening yourself up to contact that you have less control over.

Given that the Hawks are thin at CB ... he doesn't want DeJean to get injured.

In other words, you're conclusion is arguably way off - as it relates to a valuing blocking vs play-making. The argument relates more to weighing play-making on D to playmaking on O. To this end ... KF will almost always defer to the D. He's never going to cut his nose to spite his face.

As we've seen this year, Kirk has the program set so that the Hawks can win games ... even if the O isn't even remotely competent. However, to ensure this sort of robust outcome ... he needs to keep up the D ... and he does just that! Why do you suppose Phil is so happy with his position?

He can say whatever he wants, but if Proctor leaves even KF as clueless as he is knows that’s a huge loss. As far as the punt returner it’s not surprising he would trot Bruce back out there. Dejean is clearly our best playmaker as Bruce has trouble just catching the ball instead of letting it bounce, and doesn’t do much if he does catch it. With the worst offense in football you would think he would do whatever he could to help get great field position.

Let’s talk about this “clueless comment” I bet you could count on two or three fingers the amount of clueless coaches out there that have won as many games as Kirk how do you quantify that?

That’s because KF is trolling you… The real question is whether we should have De Jean out there at all…he’s already playing the most snaps on the team… And that is a recipe for injury!

you guys love telling on yourselves huh? Do you know which player is slated as the primary punt returner in the upcoming game?

More evidence you don’t watch the games…

De Jean let at least two balls if not three bounce and one rolled from about the 47 to inside our 25… Poor argument!

What KF says in public and what KF believes is best for the team is often not the same. There's much more to it than the simple explanation he gives during his short press conferences. Stop taking what he says in public about their game plans or their reasoning for making decisions at face value. The staff has no obligation to tell you part or all of the truth.
Yeah, I don't know if fans appreciate how snarky KF can be. Sometimes the "soundbites" he supplies to the press purposely "poke the bear." For instance, he knows that his "that's football" explanation to some things infuriates fans ... but it doesn't stop him from repeating it.

Yep, I agree with you.,,,I loved the squeeze play when I coached. I explained to my players at the beginning of the year ,it will bite us a few times but we are going to always be aggressive, defensively and offensively..
It bit me in the butt on more than one occasion but I’d much rather gamble and take the risk- vs- the conservative approach.
I THINK, most fans would rather see a approach similar to mine but Kirk thinks in a very conservative way—- As stubborn as he is,I don’t think we are ever going to change his thinking.

More evidence you don’t watch the games…

De Jean let at least two balls if not three bounce and one rolled from about the 47 to inside our 25… Poor argument!
De Jean did frustrate me a bit by not coming up and catching a couple balls.(Gave a lot of yards away) Strange because On the balls he does field, he does so much more naturally than anyone else we have. I think again, he, like many of our other playmakers hear KFs voice in the back of their head…..Dont take a risk….

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
De Jean did frustrate me a bit by not coming up and catching a couple balls.(Gave a lot of yards away) Strange because On the balls he does field, he does so much more naturally than anyone else we have. I think again, he, like many of our other playmakers hear KFs voice in the back of their head…..Dont take a risk….

Maybe, but it doesn’t really fit, because he has taken some risks. That ball at the 50 looked the easiest one to field, didn’t it ?

Reactions: hawkhockey
Yep, I agree with you.,,,I loved the squeeze play when I coached. I explained to my players at the beginning of the year ,it will bite us a few times but we are going to always be aggressive, defensively and offensively..
It bit me in the butt on more than one occasion but I’d much rather gamble and take the risk- vs- the conservative approach.
I THINK, most fans would rather see a approach similar to mine but Kirk thinks in a very conservative way—- As stubborn as he is,I don’t think we are ever going to change his thinking.
Sounds like you are as stubborn with your gambles even when they bite you in the butt. Two different coaches both stubborn in their approach.

He ain't gonna say it publicly. You know Kirk right?

I'd interpret Kirk's comments to relate more to the fact that he also wants to keep DeJean healthy. When you're blocking in that context, you can actually use the opponent's momentum against them ... and then you have more control about the nature of the contact. In contrast, when you're the returning ... you're opening yourself up to contact that you have less control over.

In other words, you're conclusion is arguably way off - as it relates to a valuing blocking vs play-making. The argument relates more to weighing play-making on D to playmaking on O. To this end ... KF will almost always defer to the D. He's never going to cut his nose to spite his face.

As we've seen this year, Kirk has the program set so that the Hawks can win games ... even if the O isn't even remotely competent. However, to ensure this sort of robust outcome ... he needs to keep up the D ... and he does just that! Why do you suppose Phil is so happy with his position?
Regarding the return vs blocking. If they are saying he could be injured returning punts, are they then going to ask him to take a knee from now on if he picks the ball off, nearly the same concept returning a pick as it is a punt.

He's a freak athlete, let him play! Involve him like UM did Woodson!

• Love
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki

The lower risk, lower reward approach is what’s wrong with our program.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Dejean is a gunner I believe. If Bruce is still banged up why run the risk on punt returns. Make sure Bruce is healthy for Nebraska.

I am all for Cooper returning punts. But to be fair, he decided not to catch a ball last weekend that ended up costing us about 25 yards I believe. I may have let a few expletives slip in that moment.

And I don’t say that as a dig on Cooper, my point is that’s a very hard job, very stressful. Your biggest fear is a turnover.

Regarding the return vs blocking. If they are saying he could be injured returning punts, are they then going to ask him to take a knee from now on if he picks the ball off, nearly the same concept returning a pick as it is a punt.

He's a freak athlete, let him play! Involve him like UM did Woodson!
Why is DeJean at corner instead of Cash? Due to injury as Roberts is hurt. Look at DeJeans back-up Heinz, is he ready to play? Our coaches have talked about the lack of players at the back-end and how lucky we are to have DeJean who can play several positions. Where are we if he gets hurt.

A punt returner can catch several punts a game and is running directly at defenders rushing at him. Not nearly the same concept when you may pick off 4 or 5 passes in a season vs run back the same number of punts in a game. DeJean was not touched on his last pick six. The reason DeJean was used is due to Bruce being hurt.

I too would like to see DeJean as a returner but understand the coaches caution.

I am all for Cooper returning punts. But to be fair, he decided not to catch a ball last weekend that ended up costing us about 25 yards I believe. I may have let a few expletives slip in that moment.

And I don’t say that as a dig on Cooper, my point is that’s a very hard job, very stressful. Your biggest fear is a turnover.
I also was surprised and frustrated. Clearly you watched the game…😊

I was yelling at the Tv on that one as well. Have to field those balls.....

Reactions: pistachio1999
He should be letting Woods be in charge of putting the best punt return unit out of the field as he works with them all the time. Delegate Kirk.

He should be letting Woods be in charge of putting the best punt return unit out of the field as he works with them all the time. Delegate Kirk.

Probably also has to include the defensive coach AND maybe Woods liked Bruce receiving punts at first? Hell maybe he still does!

Why is DeJean at corner instead of Cash? Due to injury as Roberts is hurt. Look at DeJeans back-up Heinz, is he ready to play? Our coaches have talked about the lack of players at the back-end and how lucky we are to have DeJean who can play several positions. Where are we if he gets hurt.

A punt returner can catch several punts a game and is running directly at defenders rushing at him. Not nearly the same concept when you may pick off 4 or 5 passes in a season vs run back the same number of punts in a game. DeJean was not touched on his last pick six. The reason DeJean was used is due to Bruce being hurt.

I too would like to see DeJean as a returner but understand the coaches caution.
A PR can also fair catch kicks, run OB, slide, etc. A DB can get hurt returning a pick, tackling a TE or RB, taking on a block... It's part of the game, i would not hesitate to put Nwankpa in any DB spot that is short. If you need big plays or plays to put your offense in position (and we all know how much help ths O needs), then you put play makers in positions to do so.

Reactions: Bishop1971
A PR can also fair catch kicks, run OB, slide, etc. A DB can get hurt returning a pick, tackling a TE or RB, taking on a block... It's part of the game, i would not hesitate to put Nwankpa in any DB spot that is short. If you need big plays or plays to put your offense in position (and we all know how much help ths O needs), then you put play makers in positions to do so.

What are you basing the Nwankpa thought on… Because TJ Hall has been the first guy In lately if I’m not mistaken Sebastian Castro was the first guy in when Terry Roberts was hurt?

But you’re saying Xavier is ready to step in to any spot, right?

I’ll bet you dollars to donuts Phil & you don’t think alike!!

Probably has more to do with not pissing Phil off if CD gets hurt (PR is a dangerous job).
Look at our stars that have done it in the past though. Don't we want our best playmakers there, how many times do they get injured low %? Timmy D, Dez K. I'm sure many other stars.

That's exactly the point ... Harris is out for the season ... and he was projected to be the starting corner opposite Moss. Then, at that juncture, Cooper won the starting CB spot when we go 4-3. However, when we went with the BASE 4-2 CASH-based D ... Cooper would go over to CASH and Roberts would be the LCB. However, with Roberts injured ... Cooper has had to go CB full-time. That's the reason why Castro has had to emerge at CASH.

On top of all that ... Deasfernandes had been dinged too ... so the only other primary CBs sniffing the depth chart were TJ Hall (a TR FR) and Jamison Heinz (a walk-on).

Consequently, just as you highlight ... any caution being exercised concerning DeJean is reflective of the fact that he's already seeing more reps than anyone else on the D ... and they're trying to ensure that they're minimizing his chances for injury.

If we were replete with healthy, talented corners ... then Cooper's performance returning kicks in the last game would have won the job for him!

ADVERTISEMENT