ADVERTISEMENT

Ahmad Wagner article

lonestar50

HR All-American
Sep 3, 2007
Hope everything goes well for him at Kentucky. Just didn't work out as a basketball player at Iowa.

Ahmad Wagner’s heart was set on playing college basketball. Despite earning a four-star ranking as a wide receiver in the 2015 class, Wagner turned down football opportunities to attend the University of Iowa on a basketball scholarship.

“It just broke my heart that he went and played basketball,” said Kentucky tight ends coach Vince Marrow, who recruited Wagner in high school. “I mean, the dude was probably the No. 1, No. 2 (football) prospect in the state of Ohio and we went and played basketball. You go to Iowa to play basketball, that tells you what type of athlete he is. I know this, his senior year when he played in the state championship game, there were over 10 D-1 players in that game. A lot of guys are at Ohio State, a lot of guys are at Michigan. He was the best player on the field.”

But after playing in 96 games over three seasons under Iowa coach Fran Mccaffery, Wagner had a change of heart. He decided to return to the football field and transferred to Kentucky in May. Wagner was expecting to sit out a season because of NCAA transfer rules, but he was ruled eligible to compete right away and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

I just didn’t want to live with any regret,” Wagner said on his decision to play football. “It’s something that’s been on my mind a while. I do love basketball but I also have a love for football. It’s something I wanted to pursue. After a while I just decided that’s what I’m gonna do. Just stuck to it and made the change.”

Marrow had a feeling Wagner would one day return to the football field. He stayed in contact with the coaching staff at Wayne High School and learned that Wagner was considering leaving Iowa.

"It was kind of like Bo Jackson,” Marrow said. “You knew the itch for baseball would come back. I knew (Wagner) would get the itch to come back. I knew it. I just felt it. It’s such a rewarding thing that he’s out here. And I think people are going to see real fast who he is.”

Wagner will get his opportunity to shake off some rust as camp opens for the Wildcats on Friday. He’s not played in a few years, and only played during his senior year of high school, but Wagner’s size is nearly unmatched on the team. He’s listed at 6-foot-5, 238-pounds. Wagner caught 58 passes for 1,028 yards and 17 touchdowns as a senior.

247Sports recruiting analyst Bill Greene said Wagner has pro potential.

“I have no doubt that had he chosen to go the football route out of high school that he would’ve been a great college receiver,” Greene told Catspause.com. “He has the size, speed, athletic ability and body control coaches love. If he can make this transition to football now he has NFL talent.”

The Huber Heights, Ohio, native chose the Wildcats because of his trust in the coaching staff. Kentucky receiver Dorian Baker, who missed last season with an ankle injury, is excited to see what Wagner adds to the group.

“It’s nice to have someone on the outside that can match my size,” Baker said. “He’s another threat on the outside that teams are going to have to worry about because of his size and his ability. I’m excited to have him and see what he can do during camp.”

Wagner knows he has a ways to go to catch up on the time he’s missed. He said things like route running and the fundamentals of the game will be his focus during camp. As far as his expectations this season?

“Just to do everything I can to show the coaches I’m ready to play,” Wagner said. “I have a lot of rust to knock off. Just put in work and preparation to let the coaches know I’m ready and available at all times.”

Wow...6 foot 5 inches...point or shooting guard size....no wonder he had a tough time playing major college basketball down low...

Glad to see the NCAA got one right for a change by allowing him to be eligible immediately. After all, Ahmad is changing sports and I doubt he could make the Kentucky basketball team. Ahmad gets two years to prove his worth on the football field.

Glad to see the NCAA got one right for a change by allowing him to be eligible immediately. After all, Ahmad is changing sports and I doubt he could make the Kentucky basketball team. Ahmad gets two years to prove his worth on the football field.

Get one right for a change? He used an exception that's been there for quite some time, anyone can use it.

Get one right for a change? He used an exception that's been there for quite some time, anyone can use it.
Wagner was expecting to sit out a season because of NCAA transfer rules, but he was ruled eligible to compete right away and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

If Ahmad was so sure that the NCAA was going to grant this "exemption that has been there for quite some time" then why was he prepared to sit out a year? In addition, you responded like the NCAA is predictable when it comes to granting exemptions with their transfer rule, which we all know they are not.

If Ahmad was so sure that the NCAA was going to grant this "exemption that has been there for quite some time" then why was he prepared to sit out a year? In addition, you responded like the NCAA is predictable when it comes to granting exemptions with their transfer rule, which we all know they are not.

Because Wagner didn't know about the rule until it was explained to him.

The exception is clearly written. There was never a chance he wouldn't be able to play right away as long as he didn't violate the requirements of it.

Reactions: K OKeefe
wasn't "granted" anything, "exemption' is in the rule - different sports, different transfer rules apply

Wow...6 foot 5 inches...point or shooting guard size....no wonder he had a tough time playing major college basketball down low...

That’s one of the benefits of attending games. When you see in person the team lined up shoulder to shoulder you can get a good idea who’s fudging their height... and many are.

The receiver Iowa needed for a long time was wasting away on the basketball bench in a log jamb of unnecessary bigs and we blew it.

Sometimes its hard to be an Iowa fan.

Reactions: mick82
The receiver Iowa needed for a long time was wasting away on the basketball bench in a log jamb of unnecessary bigs and we blew it.

How did Iowa blow it? Wagner wanted to play basketball over football. Also not like he was killing it on the bball floor and being benched in favor of players that were worse than him. Undersized athletic PF who couldn't shoot. Recipe for a role player in the Big 10.

Iowa didn't even recruit him for football when he was in HS anyways. Also remember Coach Bell tweeting him last summer about football so to say Iowa football staff didn't try to get him for their team is not true. He was invited to spring practices this year after he made his decision to switch sports. Wagner went to Kentucky football because the staff he was comfortable with who actually wanted him and recruited him when he was in HS. Fresh start for him at a new school for new sport. Hopefully it all goes well for him.

Best of luck to Ahmad. Lexington is much closer to home than Iowa City. I wonder if that had any impact on his decision? I never thought I would say this but I now have a reason to follow UK football and volleyball.

Best of luck to Ahmad. Lexington is much closer to home than Iowa City. I wonder if that had any impact on his decision? I never thought I would say this but I now have a reason to follow UK football and volleyball.
What about UK volleyball? The women's team I assume?

I agree. When he showed up on campus Ahmed should have been told he did not read the fine print on his scholarship and it was actually a football scholarship and he needed to report to Coach Ferentz immediately.

I agree. When he showed up on campus Ahmed should have been told he did not read the fine print on his scholarship and it was actually a football scholarship and he needed to report to Coach Ferentz immediately.

Or go all out to get him on board once he was done with basketball.

How did Iowa blow it? Wagner wanted to play basketball over football. Also not like he was killing it on the bball floor and being benched in favor of players that were worse than him. Undersized athletic PF who couldn't shoot. Recipe for a role player in the Big 10.

Iowa didn't even recruit him for football when he was in HS anyways. Also remember Coach Bell tweeting him last summer about football so to say Iowa football staff didn't try to get him for their team is not true. He was invited to spring practices this year after he made his decision to switch sports. Wagner went to Kentucky football because the staff he was comfortable with who actually wanted him and recruited him when he was in HS. Fresh start for him at a new school for new sport. Hopefully it all goes well for him.

Your right, they played it perfectly.

If Iowa would have wanted Ahmad for football, I think it would have been easy enough. However, he is a small TE(needs another 15+ pounds) and too big for WR. With our current receiving TEs, he would have never seen the field. IMHO... UK is a good spot for him. And closer to home. Hopefully he turns out to be a star.

If he would have participated in Iowa's spring practices it could have drastically limited his options when it came time to look at other schools. He was right not to join in.

Reactions: Ycusi
Best of luck to Ahmad. BUT.....I don't give a flying f*** about Kentucky Football. If we post about all the Hawkeye alums playing elsewhere this board would be full of nothing but that. Embry at NIU, Eno at where evs, Willies at Texas Tech. Really guys, must we? I know I don't have to open the threads but my god.

You tell'em Suter! Now, what about those 3 PG recruits. Who would you pick??

Also, do you know of any of them making official or non-official visits soon?? I heard Collins is coming this month. But nothing of the others...

Best of luck to Ahmad. BUT.....I don't give a flying f*** about Kentucky Football. If we post about all the Hawkeye alums playing elsewhere this board would be full of nothing but that. Embry at NIU, Eno at where evs, Willies at Texas Tech. Really guys, must we? I know I don't have to open the threads but my god.

If Iowa would have wanted Ahmad for football, I think it would have been easy enough. However, he is a small TE(needs another 15+ pounds) and too big for WR. With our current receiving TEs, he would have never seen the field. IMHO... UK is a good spot for him. And closer to home. Hopefully he turns out to be a star.

Maybe.

You tell'em Suter! Now, what about those 3 PG recruits. Who would you pick??

Also, do you know of any of them making official or non-official visits soon?? I heard Collins is coming this month. But nothing of the others...

I wish I could answer your questions about the point guards. I have heard or seen nothing new. But I DID hear Ahmad Wagner................

Lol at too big to be a receiver.

Honest question: Will you not at all be checking the box scores or looking up from time to time how Wagner is doing? Just out of pure curiosity if nothing else?

I know I will be.

Of all the regurgitated, useless $hit on these boards, this is what triggered you? Did Eno start as bball for a year? What an awful comparison.

Wagner made a mistake not staying at Iowa. Or at least going somewhere known for developing talent.

Your right, they played it perfectly.
You're

Honest question: Will you not at all be checking the box scores or looking up from time to time how Wagner is doing? Just out of pure curiosity if nothing else?

I know I will be.

Nope. If folks post stats I will certainly look at them, but I will not seek them out. My guess is there will not be any stats to look at...see below

Wagner not listed on depth chart. There’s about 10 WRs on here.
Wait, wait, wait. I thought he was a can't miss, must have???!!?? And that Iowa coaches were absolute fools for not doing everything under the sun to get him??

Reactions: D-Hawk
You're

Nope. If folks post stats I will certainly look at them, but I will not seek them out. My guess is there will not be any stats to look at...see below

Wait, wait, wait. I thought he was a can't miss, must have???!!?? And that Iowa coaches were absolute fools for not doing everything under the sun to get him??

ouch.......and out of the 10 guys listed at WR, only 2 are seniors. He is eligible correct?

I think the coaches at Iowa were probably really real with AW and told him he’s got a super tough road ahead to scratch the playing time surface.. he probably thought he had a better shot to play at Kentucky... He’a a Heck of an athlete, so he’s got that, bust his tail and who knows. it’s like he’s second year playing football. I’m not going to count him out because he didn’t make the two deeps on college roster his 16th month of organized football..

I also thought it was revealing seeing him listed at 6'5". I'm wondering who else on our basketball team is over listed for height.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT