ADVERTISEMENT

Ahron Ulis Article

Script_IOWA

Scout Team
Mar 7, 2016
This is on the HR.com front page, but I had not seen it being discussed.

https://iowa.rivals.com/news/quincy-shootout-bossi-s-takeaways

ULIS LOOKS READY FOR THE BIG TEN
iig.png

qdhi7fbmupdqnlxaljyx

NATIONAL

-

STATE
0" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: inline-block; height: 10px; width: 7px; background: url("https://cdn.rivals.com/production/a...bfb264f545034d3f8a342e9632778ca65a3af8278.svg") left center no-repeat; margin-bottom: 3px;"> 38
POSITION
AHRON
ULIS

RANK
N/A
6'2" | 175 LBS | PG
MARIAN CATHOLIC
CHICAGO HEIGHTS, IL
CLASS OF 2020

SIGNED LOI
8/6/2019
IOWA
The younger brother of five-star, NBA point guard and Kentucky standout

Tyler Ulis
, Iowa signee
Ahron Ulis
is proving to be a pretty good player himself.

He's been hovering in the neighborhood of the 2020 Rivals150 since last spring and it may be time for the Chicago Heights (Ill.) Marian Catholic point guard to claim a spot on the inside.

Ulis was flat out terrific in a win over St. Louis (Mo.) Christian and controlled the game in many ways while going for an easy 36.

He hit deep jumpers, he beat defenders off the dribble, set up teammates with his drives and then against a zone went and directed traffic from the middle of the floor as almost a point center. Seeing him post up and look comfortable as a scorer and playmaker with his back to the basket was pretty eye opening and showed that he's got a pretty complete game.

He looks like a legitimate Big Ten point guard and is a nice score for the Hawkeyes.

Number 140 in the top 150. Fran once again with the eye for talent.

Funny, I talked to some Depaul fans early this season right before the Iowa game, and they were pretty low on Ulis. They didn't think he had the jump shot for elite level.

He is disproving that theory, great get for the Hawks!

I am no talent evaluation guy, but I have always thought this kid was really good. The basics: He's 6'2" which is pretty good size for a PG. He's obviously athletic-not a freak but he has good quickness-summer reviews talked a lot about how strong he was, playing through contact. He regularly gets past defenders and scores over big guys in the lane...playing HS ball in Chicago against pretty good competition. Any video that you watch you see good ball handling skills, a very good shot and shooting form, and good passing skills.

He's performed well against top competition and in big moments. Now rated in the top 150 and a recruit from another state. Great job Fran!

Somewhat OT...I was slightly worried about sentimentality being involved with the Murray twins getting offers but it seems like Fran has a knack for identifying really solid recruits.

Ulis and JT are going to be a great backcourt combo for the Hawks.

The backcourt combo for the immediate future looks like Toussant and Frederick once Bohannon graduates or moves on. Ulis looks like a real solid player who has the potential to give us good minutes at either guard spot and the back court looks in real good shape moving forward.

Nice blurb about Reed too!

A strong 6-foot-8 post player, Reed does compare some to another former Chaminade star in
Tyler Cook
. He's strong, has pretty good hands and lots of room to develop as an interior scorer. Mayo is a tough as nails guard who can play all around the perimeter and looks to be a pretty solid glue guy. Reed is in the discussion for the 2022 rankings and has offers from Iowa, Saint Louis and UMKC while Mayo is sure to earn offers sooner than later.

Incoming class is definitely better than the ranking it received. Iowa's backcourt for the next few years is going to be deep, versatile, and talented.

Reactions: kcgolfer
I have thought guard play has been such a glaring problem for some time and now I'm pumped about the foreseeable future with regards to guard play and nervous about bigs after Luka is gone.

Always something, isn't it?...

I have thought guard play has been such a glaring problem for some time and now I'm pumped about the foreseeable future with regards to guard play and nervous about bigs after Luka is gone.
Luka is definitely a rarity that we dont see very often! Hopefully that work ethic rubs off on Nunge and Josh Ogundele next season as they practice against Garzilla! What a monster work-hound!!!!

I was at the Quincy shootout Friday and Saturday,watched ulis play twice, excellent on ball defender, better than avg. Jumper and can distribute the ball. Plenty of really good D1 players I recommend if in the area you go to the shootout it's well worth it.

Man, does he redshirt next year? Perkins? With CJF, Jobo, and JT all going to be coming back, not much room for both Perkins and Uhlis their freshman year. Good problem to have I guess. Guessing Connor might stay at the 4 with Nunge, then Pat/Joe at 3. Gonna be fun.

Man, does he redshirt next year? Perkins? With CJF, Jobo, and JT all going to be coming back, not much room for both Perkins and Uhlis their freshman year. Good problem to have I guess. Guessing Connor might stay at the 4 with Nunge, then Pat/Joe at 3. Gonna be fun.

If everyone comes back from this team I hope 4 of the 5 incoming FR redshirt. With Bohannon, Nunge and possibly Patrick coming back from injury it fills out the bench. I like Iowa playing with a short bench. Its allowed this team to find their groove and fight. I doubt this team is this successful if Fran is playing 9,10,11 players a game. Guys like CJ, Garza, Weiskamp and Connor should get 30mpg. Toussaint is getting close to warranting that, maybe in another year. Bohannon is another guy who could warrant 30mpg next year. Hope these guys dont see a cut in minutes next year.

If everyone comes back from this team I hope 4 of the 5 incoming FR redshirt. With Bohannon, Nunge and possibly Patrick coming back from injury it fills out the bench. I like Iowa playing with a short bench. Its allowed this team to find their groove and fight. I doubt this team is this successful if Fran is playing 9,10,11 players a game. Guys like CJ, Garza, Weiskamp and Connor should get 30mpg. Toussaint is getting close to warranting that, maybe in another year. Bohannon is another guy who could warrant 30mpg next year. Hope these guys dont see a cut in minutes next year.
I’ve always said that. When Fran was hired, I checked Sienna’s board and the one common negative theme was the “inexplicable substitution schemes.” Some called it “momentum killing.” There were some pretty angry posts Too. I think we are doing a lot better with a shorter bench. The 4 guard combo has also made our defense faster. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt this hopeful about the Hawks.

I think Ulis and Perkins are going to be hard to keep off the court but I agree with the shorter rotation. The PMac situation is so heartbreaking. He's such a great kid and deserves to live a healthy life and play ball for his dad. Cancer sucks

I'd be fine with Connor even playing 20. Yes to everything else, if Garza, CJ, Joe, and Jobo each play 30, which they should, and Connor plays 20, that leaves 60 minutes. Joe T and Nunge should each play about 20, so then there's 20 minutes left. Pmac should be fine to play next year, by most accounts, so I agree that maybe 4 of the 5 redshirt and give another guy 5-10 minutes a game to get his feet wet. Likely, Ogundele, knowing he's gonna have to carry a heavier load after Garza leaves. Pemsl may be scratched all together as well.

Just platoon CMAC/PMAC at the 4th guard position, then you always have a McCaffery playing, but not too many at one time.

Him and Perkins together is gonna be sick.

I like Uhlis but I’m hitching my wagon to Perkins, he has some of those freak attributes that Perry mentioned. Uhlis is a fantastic compliment to Perkins, solid all around guard who has a jump shot. I see a lot of shooters being banked between Uhlis, Perkins and the twins.

At this point Fran has convinced me that he’s a recruiting genius, obviously I’m being over the top but JT, CJ, Perkins and Uhlis all look very capable to be a hell of a back court, forget about CMac being a veteran with them. Basketball is fun again.

Maybe there’s a Joe T at point, J Bo at the two, CJ at the three, and Joe W at the 4 for spurts. With Luka at the 5 that group would be a nightmare to try and defend. I don’t know if we could stop other teams, but that group could be fun to watch play offense.

Could you double Luka? How much more dangerous would he be with the offense being that spread? Would J Bo get better looks with both Joe W and CJ being options for him? Could you help when Joe T starts to take it to the rack?

There’s only one basketball, but I truly believe these guys are willing to share it.

Reactions: NI hawk
Maybe there’s a Joe T at point, J Bo at the two, CJ at the three, and Joe W at the 4 for spurts. With Luka at the 5 that group would be a nightmare to try and defend. I don’t know if we could stop other teams, but that group could be fun to watch play offense.

Could you double Luka? How much more dangerous would he be with the offense being that spread? Would J Bo get better looks with both Joe W and CJ being options for him? Could you help when Joe T starts to take it to the rack?

There’s only one basketball, but I truly believe these guys are willing to share it.

Good opening line up except as of now I do not think weezy would strive at the 4. He isn’t quite strong enough to bang on the block. This would put us a at a huge disadvantage defensively. This is why we have been so successful with Connor starting. To start the year I could see jbo coming off bench, but eventually jbo starts and joe t is first off the bench. We will be loaded with talent next year if everyone stays.

Good opening line up except as of now I do not think weezy would strive at the 4. He isn’t quite strong enough to bang on the block. This would put us a at a huge disadvantage defensively. This is why we have been so successful with Connor starting. To start the year I could see jbo coming off bench, but eventually jbo starts and joe t is first off the bench. We will be loaded with talent next year if everyone stays.

Connor does good job defensively at 4 and is better post defender than JoeW, but JoeW is our 2nd best rebounder--so he's already mixing it up inside. I don't think you want JoeW being posted up on defense and picking up fouls, so makes sense JoeW won't play much 4...but he is capable of doing it for a few minute type stretch.

I think when you have 4 scorers out there, then a non-scoring Connor that improves the defense and facilitates the offense with screens/passing works pretty well.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I like Uhlis but I’m hitching my wagon to Perkins, he has some of those freak attributes that Perry mentioned. Uhlis is a fantastic compliment to Perkins, solid all around guard who has a jump shot. I see a lot of shooters being banked between Uhlis, Perkins and the twins.

At this point Fran has convinced me that he’s a recruiting genius, obviously I’m being over the top but JT, CJ, Perkins and Uhlis all look very capable to be a hell of a back court, forget about CMac being a veteran with them. Basketball is fun again.
Perkins has a nice big frame for a guard. I can see him developing really well. Watching Perkins again, this is an athlete we absolutely need, especially at guard. At 6'4'' he windmill powerdunked on one highlight and caught an alleyoop dunk with ease in another. Do we have any other guard that can do that now? Uhlis doesn't play a lick of defense. He was getting blown by on a consistent basis in the videos I saw - it looked bad even for high school. Looked like an effort issue, but he won't be seeing much time unless that improves. Perkins looks like the one who could avoid a redshirt.

Last edited:
Perkins seems more versatile than any of our other guards. I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes the rotation as he could play several positions. I also think JBo will play around 20 minutes a game. We shouldn’t need him to be the primary ball handler as we have several quicker ball handlers. I like him coming off the bench in an instant offense role. Kind of like a Vince Brookins or Bill Jones provided. I know—Jones and Brookins were different kinds of players but it seemed when they entered the game they quickly made a couple of baskets picking up the team.

vs.

Which is it?

This is one video he looked pretty bad on occasion. Watching it again, he had some pretty good efforts defensively as well. He's #1.

Here's a video of Tony (12) with some nice dunks. Right away there's a power windmill. 7:10 is pretty nice as well. 5:35 is a great effort. It showed only one jumper from Tony which is a 3 he made

Last edited:
Reactions: BronxHawkeye
Perkins seems more versatile than any of our other guards. I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes the rotation as he could play several positions. I also think JBo will play around 20 minutes a game. We shouldn’t need him to be the primary ball handler as we have several quicker ball handlers. I like him coming off the bench in an instant offense role. Kind of like a Vince Brookins or Bill Jones provided. I know—Jones and Brookins were different kinds of players but it seemed when they entered the game they quickly made a couple of baskets picking up the team.
I think the box will be full of good options provided no one leaves. Nunge really has to pick up the quickness to help with RK leaving. Josh will need time to learn and they will need a big man to play at least some of the time.

This is one video he looked pretty bad on occasion. Watching it again, he had some pretty good efforts defensively as well. He's #1.

Here's a video of Tony (12) with some nice dunks. Right away there's a power windmill. 7:10 is pretty nice as well. 5:35 is a great effort. It showed only one jumper from Tony which is a 3 he made

Thanks for sharing those. I’m going to have to disagree about Ahron’s defense on Miller. Not only is Miller one of the most coveted shooters in the nation, he is a very savvy scorer and has great size and strength. Ulis had some genuinely great moments defending him and actually had the game defining moment on defense when Miller made his move to take over. Gotta say, Ahron looks like an outstanding recruit... too much to like.
I understand that at times in these prep games the defense can get lackadaisical and sloppy, but you have to really pay attention when they ratchet down when it’s close. You can get a glimpse of what big time college coaches are going to demand all the time and what these young guys are capable of.

Somewhat OT...I was slightly worried about sentimentality being involved with the Murray twins getting offers but it seems like Fran has a knack for identifying really solid recruits.

Maybe there is some sentimental aspects to their recruitment. There should be with any legacy players. But with a level head. The legacy part only gets your foot in the door...

Have you watched them play recently? DME puts a lot of their games on YouTube Live. Keegan and Kris are worth watching. They are very well-rounded players on a good team.

The Murray twins seem to have it going on. And it is against some good competition. They beat the #1 team in the country (for post grad schools). And the #9 team the other day.

Kris and Keegan are DME's best players. Definitely the reason they are kicking some tail.

Here is Keegan with the game winner with no time left against #9 Woodstock who has 4 players having D1 rides next year.

Last edited:
This. i'd be surprised if JBO plays 30 minutes a game next season, especially early on. For the first time in awhile we won't need him to, and he would also be the least capable defender of the backcourt players. I'm still concerned on Patrick. I'm not counting on him until he plays for a good chunk of the season, and has no ill effects. I really hope he can , but can't help but wonder if thats another reason that we are currently over on the schollys.

ADVERTISEMENT