ADVERTISEMENT

***Aidan Hall Commits to Iowa***

I love all these athlete types from 2023-24 who can play multiple positions. Wonder if there might be a TE in the group?

I think Weisskopf in next year's class is the only one that would be a possibility and that is a stretch.

WFBq.gif

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
I love all these athlete types from 2023-24 who can play multiple positions. Wonder if there might be a TE in the group?

There's a couple that could play te but I doubt that happens. Iowa is in good shape with some ready made te prospects in the '23 class.

based on that tweet looks like woods and wallace recruited him. might not be a secondary guy.

complete aside: what’s the verdict on the half helmet graphic? is it aesthetically pleasing/satisfactory? gives me a locutus of borg vibe
Woods went to Harlan, I believe.

I wonder what the recruiting strategy is here? Maybe expecting for some LB recruits to migrate to other positions? Just accounting for attrition and/or injuries?

I've gone back and forth about Kueter at LB ... I initially assumed that he was more of at DL prospect. Maybe he stays there ... maybe I was right initially?

Looking at guys like Hall and Weisskopf ... they have good ball skills ... maybe a shot at TE?

I'm just a little surprised when Hall indicated that he was going to be working on some fellow LB-recruits like Newsome and Ebel. That would make our LB recruiting look like:
'22: 2 LB commits (Montgomery & Van Kekerix)
'23: sounds like we're shooting for 3 LBs? (Kueter, Hall, + another)
'24: already have 3 LB commits (Buffington, Weisskipf, & Ries)

Given that our base D features just 2 LBs ... and our 4-3 look is just "packaged" ... we're seemingly going after more LBs than I would have expected.

On the flip side, we do need a bunch of LB-types for our special-teams play. Furthermore, the LB body-type can often develop towards a bunch of different position groups.

I wonder what the recruiting strategy is here? Maybe expecting for some LB recruits to migrate to other positions? Just accounting for attrition and/or injuries?

I've gone back and forth about Kueter at LB ... I initially assumed that he was more of at DL prospect. Maybe he stays there ... maybe I was right initially?

Looking at guys like Hall and Weisskopf ... they have good ball skills ... maybe a shot at TE?

I'm just a little surprised when Hall indicated that he was going to be working on some fellow LB-recruits like Newsome and Ebel. That would make our LB recruiting look like:
'22: 2 LB commits (Montgomery & Van Kekerix)
'23: sounds like we're shooting for 3 LBs? (Kueter, Hall, + another)
'24: already have 3 LB commits (Buffington, Weisskipf, & Ries)

Given that our base D features just 2 LBs ... and our 4-3 look is just "packaged" ... we're seemingly going after more LBs than I would have expected.

On the flip side, we do need a bunch of LB-types for our special-teams play. Furthermore, the LB body-type can often develop towards a bunch of different position groups.
Parker wanted Hall at DB too, Guys like Hall can play SS OLB or Cash and as You said STs . Lots of value in those type of Kids.

Parker wanted Hall at DB too, Guys like Hall can play SS OLB or Cash and as You said STs . Lots of value in those type of Kids.
As memory serves, Hitchens started off as a safety-type who developed (very well) into a LB-type for us. Hell, Greenway's prior high school experience was at safety too.

It's all quite intriguing because the '23 class already has Nestor and Lutmer - both of whom were recruited at safety. Of course, safety certainly is/will be a position of need ... particularly given that our base D requires 3 guys who fit that description (FS/SS/CASH). Of course, in the '22 class, we have Nwankpa and Entringer who also fit that bill. In pretty much any given recruiting class, Phil is guaranteed to at least try to land 1 or 2 safety-types ... and that number usually gets further embellished by the quality walk-ons who we get at the position too.

There might be no better position at Iowa where walk-ons earn starting gigs than at safety. Bowen, Pagel, Considine, Moylan, Greenwood, Snyder, Gervase, Koerner, etc ...

The coaches have even mentioned wr for Hall...versatile and fast for sure. The cash position is a cover guy first.

Goes back to Norms quote about “football players” Iowa in the Kirk era has always loaded up on LB type athletes

Some grow into Linemen….. some wind up Fullbacks….. Dallas Clark made a pretty good TE after moving from LB and of course as you mentioned special teams

Wow - what a burst!
That's part of the reason why BOTH the O and the D are gonna try to be vying to have him on their side of the ball. I know that there had been some talk that Copeland would like him on his side of the ball.

However, he obviously could also project pretty nicely at LB (and perhaps even safety).

A nice problem to have when a guy could contribute for you on many fronts!

That's part of the reason why BOTH the O and the D are gonna try to be vying to have him on their side of the ball. I know that there had been some talk that Copeland would like him on his side of the ball.

However, he obviously could also project pretty nicely at LB (and perhaps even safety).

A nice problem to have when a guy could contribute for you on many fronts!
Offense please. :cool:

Reactions: BigOHawk
Based on aspects of recent development, defense all day, every day.

Until the coaching gets fixed, I wouldn't want to waste a few years on that side of the ball
Even on the flip side of that ... generally speaking, Kirk tends to let the D get first-dibs on talent anyhow. Of course, if the players is recruited as an athlete ... they also take in consideration the preference of the player. If Hall wants a chance to have the ball in his hands ... they'll give him that shot (if he wants it).

However, generally speaking ... the smartest move for the player is to get coached by Phil and Co.

Reactions: MitchLL
I’ve only seen a few clips of Hall. How does he compare to Cooper DeJean from a skills perspective? They seem similar in size and speed.
The fact that DeJean was a QB and acquired a tremendous football IQ to complement his high-level speed and athleticism ... I think that is what sets him apart from most comparable players.

Something that stands out to me as it relates to Hall ... he has very good ball-skills. That's probably why Iowa's O will still try to pull him from the D (if he lets them).

Possible comps to Hall might be ...
Hitchens (2010 class - S/LB recruit)
Miller (2010 class - S recruit)
Jewell (2013 class - LB recruit)
Mends (2014 class - LB recruit)
Hockaday (2015 class - LB recruit)
Evans (2018 class - ATH recruit)
Castro (2019 class - S recruit)
Hilson (2021 class - RB recruit)

The fact that DeJean was a QB and acquired a tremendous football IQ to complement his high-level speed and athleticism ... I think that is what sets him apart from most comparable players.

Something that stands out to me as it relates to Hall ... he has very good ball-skills. That's probably why Iowa's O will still try to pull him from the D (if he lets them).

Possible comps to Hall might be ...
Hitchens (2010 class - S/LB recruit)
Miller (2010 class - S recruit)
Jewell (2013 class - LB recruit)
Mends (2014 class - LB recruit)
Hockaday (2015 class - LB recruit)
Evans (2018 class - ATH recruit)
Castro (2019 class - S recruit)
Hilson (2021 class - RB recruit)
When he committed my first thought was Tanner Miller. Miller was a good hurdler (not Riley Moss good but good). How does he perform on the track - I'm to lazy to look it up.

When he committed my first thought was Tanner Miller. Miller was a good hurdler (not Riley Moss good but good). How does he perform on the track - I'm to lazy to look it up.
As I recall, Tanner Miller was one hell of an impressive athlete ... but his football IQ wasn't the best. If memory serves, he was often the cause of a lot of Phil's frustration. Unfortunately, back then, we weren't swimming with depth at safety after Sash and Greenwood graduated/left ... so Miller ended up getting the job more by default.

Anyhow, if Tanner Miller is the comp ... then I hope it only extends to the playmaking and the athleticism. For the sake of the program, I hope that Aidan is a sharper dude.

Of course, if he has the football IQ ... then that COULD make him a closer comp to DeJean.

Reactions: jo2knight
As I recall, Tanner Miller was one hell of an impressive athlete ... but his football IQ wasn't the best. If memory serves, he was often the cause of a lot of Phil's frustration. Unfortunately, back then, we weren't swimming with depth at safety after Sash and Greenwood graduated/left ... so Miller ended up getting the job more by default.

Anyhow, if Tanner Miller is the comp ... then I hope it only extends to the playmaking and the athleticism. For the sake of the program, I hope that Aidan is a sharper dude.

Of course, if he has the football IQ ... then that COULD make him a closer comp to DeJean.
Dejean is a beast and seems to have high IQ. Several times he makes the right call during a play. I recall a play this last week he was chasing a defender and just pushed him out of bounds instead of pursuing for a late hit. Really take high awareness to let up a bit in that situation and from an underclassman!

Reactions: MitchLL
ADVERTISEMENT